Share Your Savory Treats

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Today's post-dive feast - Molcajete. Chicken, shrimp, chorizo, nopal (cactus), onion, avocado, and chichirones (fried pork skins). Some guacamole on the side and more than a few Negro Modelos. Only one more day of diving :cry:

20141002_153202_zps232d3549.jpg

EDIT: Damn photo bucket is hard to use on a mobile. Fixed.

I am jealous of all this food. I think your choice of not going to an all inclusive is probably wise - I think you are getting better quality food. When we've done all inclusives, I have enjoyed the quantity of food, but the quality is always just kind of meh...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Cortelli, what great looking treats you've been sharing. Hope you're having a great time.
    Cortelli, that all looks delicious. Hope you're having a wonderful trip
    I second this!

Thank you all :flowerforyou: I am having a fantastic time. Absolutely superb scuba diving and serious feasts after morning exertion.

Today I started with an Aztec soup -- a little like French onion, but with manchego instead of gruyere, and tortilla strips instead of onions. Topped with some fresh avocado (but not baked hard on top). No picture.

Followed by Chicken Mole. The restaurant claims the mole recipe is several generations old and contains more than 20 ingredients (including of course, chocolate). I don't know how to verify that, but I can verify it was pretty damn tasty. And, for a bonus, I got to watch a Champions League soccer match while I dined. And have a few beers, too.

Mole as presented:

20141001_144458_zps3ba9b3bb.jpg

And once I'd ripped into the chicken breast:

20141001_144606_zps8389990d.jpg

A siesta might be in order but meeting some new friends for a beer or tequila or two in a bit. Thanks again for your well wishes - I am having a blast!
    My dad decided to make mole as a restaurant style meal for is friends and recruited my help. It took us three days and each of the ingredients is separately toasted then combined into the sauce. I can attest that it would definitely have more than 20 ingredients.

Looks super tasty. Completely jealous of all the food you're having!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I am jealous of all this food. I think your choice of not going to an all inclusive is probably wise - I think you are getting better quality food. When we've done all inclusives, I have enjoyed the quantity of food, but the quality is always just kind of meh...

That has been my (limited) experience; or at least my experience with "quasi" all-inclusives.

My challenges with all-inclusives are that (1) I like to get out and explore and roam and I don't want to be tied to one dining room; and (2) I am a cheapskate, and if I'm going to pay for all-inclusive I feel bad paying extra for meals elsewhere; and because I am cheap, I may not eat as much as others, but I am damn sure going to drink that resort into questioning its policy (not on a "drunken idiot" basis - just on a cost basis). And that behavior doesn't mesh well with challenging diving.
    My dad decided to make mole as a restaurant style meal for is friends and recruited my help. It took us three days and each of the ingredients is separately toasted then combined into the sauce. I can attest that it would definitely have more than 20 ingredients.

Looks super tasty. Completely jealous of all the food you're having!

Thank you! I knew mole was challenging, but no idea that it really does have all those ingredients and take all that time.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Friday went out for belated anniversary dinner to one of my favorite restaurants.

Started with mussels in saffron cream sauce (these actually were not good at all and they ended up taking them off our bill.... but the picture is pretty!)
    171E13BB-00AB-4A57-B166-A44C408D640E_zpsmdraeqe9.jpg

Shared a tasting plate which included (clockwise) crab cake w/ corn salsa, fish and chips, crab and corn chowder, and shrimp cocktail.
    1295b388-13a7-4dd7-8b58-b7a2fc266cad_zpsb165170e.jpg

Best part of this restaurant is their bread - parmesan garlic pull apart bread baked in a cast iron skillet.
    D9775270-16AA-4EA7-BE14-1C5F17BE5902_zpsshntlfbe.jpg

But the best part of this particular meal was dessert... Cinnamon sugar doughnut holes with maple bacon whipped cream. Two complimentary glasses of champagne as well. I'm going to have to post this in our sweets thread as well, just to make sure it gets the attention it deserves...

0f046c6d-99d9-4b69-96bf-b7022eb4d114_zpsc3a0a994.jpg
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Awesome looking meal!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    That looks great! I'm sad about the mussels because it's so pretty!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Homemade bread... still hot (out of the oven less than 5 minutes)

27pfyys2s1cq.png
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Oh yum. I'm a sucker for homemade bread. :love:
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Most amazing salmon pasta I ever had, and it was in winter in Venice, Italy.

pyjj1gm0z09u.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    Options

pyjj1gm0z09u.jpg

You are making me miss Florence...
  • ithrowconfetti
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

pyjj1gm0z09u.jpg

You are making me miss Florence...

Florence is amazing. You're making me miss it too. :'(
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was experimenting and made these meat pies, they are filled with sausage, carrots, onions, celery, and garlic mashed taters... YUM

140fb6g.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'm going to come and live with you Jen. It'll just be all gluttony moderation all the time.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You are more than welcome anytime the two of us together I better dig out my fat elastic waistband pants
  • ithrowconfetti
    Options
    s4fv99308ery.jpg

Three-cheese & mushroom pizza for dinner.
    Supposedly serves: Two
    Actually served: Me. Just me.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    s4fv99308ery.jpg

Three-cheese & mushroom pizza for dinner.
    Supposedly serves: Two
    Actually served: Me. Just me.

Yum, I don't blame you LOL!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Yum. I'm a sucker for good pizza.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Indulgent Friday lunch -- cheesesteak with onions and hot peppers, hoagie style (add a bit of lettuce and tomato, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. Enjoyed with a side of deep fried zucchini and a pint of Boont Amber Ale. Stuffed to the gills at this point.

5xaycsa386fe.jpg