Share Your Savory Treats

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Well done Kruggeri! I would destroy that entire loaf if it happened to be left unattended!

Ditto here. Looks incredible.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I decided to eat the first my Omaha Steaks and tried something new.
    This is Filet mignon with a mushroom marsala gravy. Yukon gold mashed potatoes, sautéed green beans and baked asparagus. I have to say it was really good. And not just because I made it.

diSRuyO.jpg?1

2KBELXy.jpg?1

Looking good! How did you find the Omaha steaks? I've never ordered them, but thought about it. Better than you can get locally, or comparable? HNY!
    The Omaha steak itself was okay. It was small and not as thick as the usual Filet I know. It was definitely a great present and thought but I myself would not order it for us in the future. Definitely not comparable to what I can get locally. I know a couple of spots to get some incredible cuts of meat.

That's kinda what I expected to hear. I keep thinking "maybe I should try 'em out" but then remember that I can get some pretty outstanding steaks from a couple local places.

• Cortelli
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had an urge to play around in the kitchen and bit off more than I could chew. Turned out quite good, but probably not yet good enough to justify the time in preparation - I need to find something extra for the crab cakes (punch it up a bit), and I need to sign up a kid to hand-mash the twice-baked potato filling. It was also very filling - I'm feeling a bit over-stuffed after eating.

Crab cakes, twice-baked potato, and steamed green beans, with a crisp sauvignon blanc.

52f6l27mcem1.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    That looks awesome Cortelli! I like to serve mango salsa with my crabcakes but I know purists would probably scoff at that...
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    That bread looks yummy!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Dammit, Karen. Since you posted that pic I've been thinking about making focaccia nonstop. I guess I'd better put it on the menu for this week.
  • Cortelli
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I may have posted something like this long ago because I've made this before -- so may be a repeat.

This is a French-Vietnamese dish -- basically crab meat, a little cellophane noodle, ginger, garlic, cilantro, shallots, and I added some water chestnut. Mix it all up with a little fish sauce and oil and an egg, and bake it stuffed inside the crab shell. A bit of orange bell pepper and some olive pugliese bread, with a few glasses of cheap prosecco.

vyh7j8mw7nnj.jpg

** Side note: I am obviously not a vegetarian and I have made my peace (to the extent I felt I needed to make it) with eating animals long ago. That said, it was actually somewhat troubling to take this whole, fully-formed crab, dismember the thing, clean out all the meat, clean and boil it's shell / exo-skeleton. And then, after mixing its meat with other tasty things, stuffing it all back into the crab's body, baking it, and then eating it, all with the little eyes and teeth potentially staring at you. Kind of felt like a giant F-U to the crab.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    It looks really good but I wouldn't have been able to prepare it. We accidentally brought home a shell with a hermit crab in it from the beach last weekend and I'm still racked with guilt. And Mr. Acrylics had to dispose of it. *shudder*

If people had to butcher their own meat I'd be a vegetarian.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Cortelli that looks amazing, but I'm with you on the having to kill/clean/cook the food and then have it looking at you. It reminds me of the scene in Julie and Julia where she has to cook the lobsters and her husband goes around chanting, "Lobstah killah..."
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I have been having photobucket challenges lately but I uninstalled and reinstalled the app so I have some pics that I never posted from over the holidays.

Recent dinner out:
    Appetizers: Shrimp diablo in lobster cream sauce:
    733F72BE-DCFB-4563-9135-077BD7EA8CCE_zps889f5b63.jpg

Parmesan Garlic Bread with Red Pepper Pesto Spread and Meatballs over Cheesy Polenta:
    21B69661-8755-45FE-8B01-185E11DEA23B_zpsovionbce.jpg

Main:
    Baked Rigatoni with Spicy Bolognese:
    4E8028B3-3214-442A-B500-3D3A18670488_zpsmizbwigs.jpg

Dessert at Bissinger's Cafe:
    Dark Chocolate Mug Cake with Creme Anglaise and Baileys Cappucino:
    6AB78BD4-2D87-4FDD-A644-423D7A90B38D_zpsojy0brtg.jpg

White Chocolate Cranberry Bread Pudding:
    5DBD7F23-5CE2-458B-AED6-C66A55995E39_zpsoiqcmc6a.jpg

Drinks with a friend over the holidays also included this lovely:
    Lobster Stuffed Avocado with Mango Relish
    C076385E-D74A-4B17-A2C8-EA15E2434D6D_zpsq90qfh7x.jpg
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Kruggeri - somehow I missed this update today. Amazingly good-looking food! You are living life well!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Kruggeri - somehow I missed this update today. Amazingly good-looking food! You are living life well!

I agree! Also you eat at much better places than I do.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I agree! Also you eat at much better places than I do.

Not that often. Most of the time its McDs, Mexican, or Pizza with the kids!
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Forgive the potato phone. Anniversy dinner with husband. Tasty food was had.

Calamari
    CvrL9uD.jpg

Blue cheese and candied pecan salad.
    IwbMAJ6.jpg

Swordfish, fingerling potatoes, brussels sprouts with panchetta.

X2Lalwu.jpg

Roasted corvina with marinated tomatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, and roasted carrots.
    k9e7HjP.jpg?1

Bittersweet chocolate lava cake with House made vanilla bean ice cream (not savory, I confess)

iBWI4OJ.jpg

• Cortelli
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    Forgive the potato phone. Anniversy dinner with husband. Tasty food was had.

[images just above snipped from quote; but my, oh, my, look above at the images]
    Drooling. That is all. [Well done; and happy anniversary!]
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Wow that all looks great. Happy Anniversary! Ours is Thursday :)
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Girls away at girl scout camp; boy at a birthday party. Convinced my wife to try some seafood - she is not a huge fan and kinda sorta likes "fish that isn't fishy," i.e., very mild white fish. She picked out a recipe: fresh halibut, lightly coated with bread crumbs, and pan fried in butter, with a buttery parsley sauce. With steamed green beans, a little sourdough, and a sauvignon blanc. Was yummy, but very mild and buttery -- I would prefer a little white pepper or something in the bread crumb coating.

fe8t82i61y1d.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    MrM I've never heard of that kind of ham... did you buy it all separate and stuff the chops yourself? It looks amazing! What was for dessert!?