Share Your Savory Treats

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    We may have to do Thanksgiving 2.0 this week. Our hosts didn't have any kind of mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie, and Mr. Acrylics was somewhat cranky about it. :p I don't care anything about pumpkin pie but I did miss the potatoes-- that's a major Thanksgiving staple in our house.

Oh my husband would be seriously cranky without mashed potatoes... he would get over the missing pumpkin pie but you can't mess with the taters. That's like not serving stuffing or gravy
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    We may have to do Thanksgiving 2.0 this week. Our hosts didn't have any kind of mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie, and Mr. Acrylics was somewhat cranky about it. :p I don't care anything about pumpkin pie but I did miss the potatoes-- that's a major Thanksgiving staple in our house.

Oh my husband would be seriously cranky without mashed potatoes... he would get over the missing pumpkin pie but you can't mess with the taters. That's like not serving stuffing or gravy

For me there has to be stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and homemade bread. Everything else is negotiable, even the turkey (my family likes ham instead).
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

For me there has to be stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and homemade bread. Everything else is negotiable, even the turkey (my family likes ham instead).

Same here... we alternate between ham, turkey, prime rib or lamb but everything else must be there oh and some kind of cranberry sauce
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Same here... we alternate between ham, turkey, prime rib or lamb but everything else must be there oh and some kind of cranberry sauce

I also missed the cranberry sauce this year. That's really more of a Christmas thing in my family, although we usually have some at both holidays.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    No mashed potatoes? Don't tell me they did mashed cauliflower instead?

Mashed potatoes on my husbands side are actually the best thing they serve. They mash them with cream cheese, sour cream and butter then bake them in a pyrex dish. You don't need gravy on them because they are so good on their own.

I got bumped from sweet potato duty this year because apparently someone wanted the traditional kind with canned yams and marshmallow topping. I make the mashed casserole kind with brown sugar pecan topping. I was kind of happy to see the marshmallow business barely got touched...

Anyway we are celebrating with my side on Sat so I'm excited to do it all again when I'm hopefully feeling better... will try to remember to take pics too.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Mashed potatoes on my husbands side are actually the best thing they serve. They mash them with cream cheese, sour cream and butter then bake them in a pyrex dish. You don't need gravy on them because they are so good on their own.

I got bumped from sweet potato duty this year because apparently someone wanted the traditional kind with canned yams and marshmallow topping. I make the mashed casserole kind with brown sugar pecan topping. I was kind of happy to see the marshmallow business barely got touched...

Anyway we are celebrating with my side on Sat so I'm excited to do it all again when I'm hopefully feeling better... will try to remember to take pics too.

No they didn't do mashed anything. I'm with you on the sweet potatoes-- I can't tolerate the marshmallow one and actually thought I hated sweet potatoes for most of my life because that's the only way I'd ever had them.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    We didn't have green bean casserole this year. We did have brussel sprouts w/ bacon, and a nice "root vegetable with cheese" in a pyrex, but no green bean casserole with crispy french onions. :'( And no deviled eggs as an appetizer :'(
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    We didn't have green bean casserole this year. We did have brussel sprouts w/ bacon, and a nice "root vegetable with cheese" in a pyrex, but no green bean casserole with crispy french onions. :'( And no deviled eggs as an appetizer :'(

I'd have traded you-- I care nothing for the green bean casserole but I love brussels sprouts.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    We had green beans with ham hock in the crockpot. I prefer that to green bean casserole. Actually my favorite is green bean bundles wrapped in bacon with brown sugar on top...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

They had cauliflower where I was. The lady tried to say mashed cauliflower was the same. I didn't reply.

:indifferent:

My friend makes the cauliflower mash sometimes for dinner. It's fine I guess-- I like cauliflower okay. But it resembles mashed potatoes only if you don't look too closely, smell it, or taste it.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

Serving mashed cauliflower would have to result in a huge food fight.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I decided to eat the first my Omaha Steaks and tried something new.
    This is Filet mignon with a mushroom marsala gravy. Yukon gold mashed potatoes, sautéed green beans and baked asparagus. I have to say it was really good. And not just because I made it.

diSRuyO.jpg?1

2KBELXy.jpg?1

Looking good! How did you find the Omaha steaks? I've never ordered them, but thought about it. Better than you can get locally, or comparable? HNY!

• WinoGelato
    Options
    New Years Eve dinner: pasta in pesto cream sauce with shrimp, chicken, roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts.
    u05xz0wptd23.jpg

Spicy black eyed pea dip for New Years luck...
    1cedebn7vq03.jpg

Also had chili, deli meat platter, and White Castles for my father in laws 80th bday. I didn't eat any of the WC and my stomach is still not happy with me...
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I don't think I ever posted pics of my lesson in making focaccia from scratch last week from my sister on Christmas... We made salami/provolone stuffed bread sliced for the party. Leftovers were great with marinara...
    rzhy0b4uyptl.jpg
    mngrjvuc12ha.jpg
    v3st65lr4jtk.jpg
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I don't think I ever posted pics of my lesson in making focaccia from scratch last week from my sister on Christmas... We made salami/provolone stuffed bread sliced for the party. Leftovers were great with marinara...

That bread looks amazing!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Focaccia is my favorite bread and it's so easy to make. Unfortunately most of my friends prefer baguettes and that's what they always request when I'm going to make bread.
  • Cortelli
    Options
    Well done Kruggeri! I would destroy that entire loaf if it happened to be left unattended!