gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    gmabethof3 wrote: »
    January 1, 2016 Challenge

January 1 - 178.0
    January 8 - 177.6 = -.4
    January 15 - 177.2 = -.8
    January 22 - 176.6 = 1.4

YEA! I'm getting there, baby steps are good!!!

Hey, good week of weight loss. And I gather a tough week for both of you. I hope all is more stable and will get better over time.

Thank you Marney,

Yes, this was a tough week for us both. Everything is going great now, glad that the scare is over.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    Everybody looks to have had a good week.

Charlie, hope that your back gets better soon.

We have almost 3" of snow on the ground, both of us are so board, we are limited to what we can do. The sun is out now, so hopefully it will all melt.

Hope you are all having a great weekend, if it has snowed your way, hope it melts soon.

Everyone have a great week, and keep doing wonderful jobs on your diet. :)

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Beth, I joke that I have lived in Columbus since 1983 and I haven't seen snow yet!

I'm originally from Erie, PA. The average yearly snowfall in Columbus is 26". In Erie, is 100". A few years ago when Columbus got 38" for the year and everyone complained, Erie had 146"! Cleveland area is about 68" and Buffalo area about 83". Erie is right between the two, but because of the way it sits on the lake, it gets the snow if Cleveland gets it. If Buffalo gets it. And it will get it when they don't!

My nephew lives in Tahoe City and they average 189" a year.

I actually like the snow and sort of miss it. The snow is very insulating and seems to make things cozy. I am not as crazy about the ice that we get here OR the bitter cold. So, I guess it is all determined by what a person is used to. Cincinnati's is about 11" annually so 3" is a lot of snow at one time for you guys. Here we consider 6" a lot. Back home, 15"-18" starts to seem like a lot! :o
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Gayle, I swear my virus didn't work it's way through the internet. I feel for you though. It is not a fun one. Really zaps your energy! The high tea sounded fun.

Mary, you know you can do this. We all seem to have fallen recently. We are cheering you and each other on!

Pam, I need to find a new K-drama today. I'm all done with all I was watching. I might try Ghost with So Ji-Sub. It is a crime drama, but I really love him. I have a couple others in my queue.
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weekly Report 1/23/16
    Already lost 3 lb of that 4 lb overnight cracker gain.
    Last week, before cracker binge 183.4
    Today, 184.4
    Tomorrow morning going to do a home test for candida.
    Found out i have some of the symptoms, sugar/carb cravings, fatigue, low metabolism.
    Home test is -- first thing in the morning, spit into a glass of water and watch what happens.
    Ick.
  • Cclill
    Options
    Charlie thanks so much for all your supportive comments on my logs!
    I really relate to "how many ways to say good job" :-)
    Im not even good at consistantly clicking like, and it didnt occur to me to check what others were actually eating.
    Not nec to do that for me.
    No guilt if just click "like" for me, or if you dont click "like"
    I know how supportive you are, and really appreciate it.

• Cclill
    Options
    Sorry for multiple posts. Ive been silent so long, and now have time to catch up.
    Gayle glad you are feeling better! A three week virus yikes!

Want to weigh in, so to speak, on how often to weigh.
    Its a very personal decision.
    Once a week would work great for me if i werent plateaued.
    But plateaus arent logical,
    so i really need to weigh everyday,
    so that i am more likely catch my weight in that brief moment when it dips to a new low,
    before it goes back up and stays up for a month or more,
    (despite eating right, upping my exercise, changing exercise.)
    I cling to the hope of that low.
    As Paul says, the thermodynamics have to kick in eventually.

• grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Lill, you can get good ideas from other's diaries. I have stolen many a good meal. Beth just had a baked potato with feta cheese I'm going to try, but would never have thought of. She asked me about my Noodles and Company Whole Grain Tuscan Fresca dinner that I had yesterday. Sharing diaries can help eliminate the same thing over and over. I'm going to pick up a microwave baking potato and some feta for a lunch this week!

I have to weigh daily because of the heart failure. Some people weigh daily and then use the average for the week. But I'm with you, if I see a low, I'm claiming it!
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Friday 130.0, Sat 131.0 (no surprise, see below)
    In anticipation of the snow, and the rare chance of losing electric & water since we are on well, I did all my housework, exercise, laundry etc. on Friday. The first flakes started at 5pm Friday. We didn't lose power and got 20" with higher drifts. I agree with Charlie, we find it very cozy and planned special snow-in activities: making Korean Hotteok for the first time (sweet pancakes), playing with our stamp albums (what are the odds of finding a guy that also collected stamps as a kid and we still find it fun!), having pajeon and homemade kimchi, making marshmallows, and of course watching kdramas!

I saw the question about 'taking a break' and been thinking about it. About 6 months after starting MFP, I recall an overweight friend interested in how I was losing weight, she asked if I also did it on the weekends. I said, of course. But it struck me as odd. I wanted to lose weight. I logged everything I ate and kept to the allow calories, usually eating most of my exercise calories too. I exercised every day. I was losing slowly and steadily. Why would I take a step backwards when I wanted to go forward?

Though I sometimes looked at forums I didn't interact on MFP and DH was my only friend, so he could copy my meals. I found Charlie because I was looking for a fellow kdrama fan! So later reading about cheat days, or taking a break was all new to me.

I guess people feel a need for a break because they are doing something very different than what they are use to or can sustain. Because I continued to eat normally, just smaller portions, it didn't seem very drastic. I can understand that some people really have to change their diet if they are eating poorly - sodas, fast food etc.
    After being in friends kitchens I think I am probably more on the wholesome side. I enjoy cooking. I do have a sweet tooth but I made sure to have the extra calorie allowance at the end of the day for it, and I'll still make it as healthy as I can. Maybe that is why maintaining for 8 months now hasn't been a burden.

And if you every find yourself on I-95 in northeast Maryland come and play in my kitchen with me!

• MapDancer
    Options
    Charlie: Did you find a new kdrama or two to start? We really enjoyed High School King of Savvy, Angry Mom, Oh My Ghostess (I know you don't favor ghosts, but it is fun). Did you ever see Gong Hyo-Jin in "Biscuit Teacher, Star Candy" (aka Hello My Teacher)? I ended up buying the DVD since I couldn't find it online. Now I think viki has it.

We're almost halfway through Gaksital (Bridal Mask) - it's 27 episodes and very exciting. It a good history lesson too.

Korean class starts next week. Our teacher emailed that she finished Answer Me 1988. It's on my to-watch list. I just read that there is a petition to change the ending! I didn't read further because of spoiler alerts.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Suggestion. As a newbie to kdrama (and I did like the one I watched), I am finding it difficult to find the posts with your comments and recommendations. I am looking forward to trying more. Particularly on the stationery bike. Perhaps a separate thread as we did with recipes and other things that people want to find? I know it is difficult to keep more threads going but I think it would help me.

Thoughts?

PS Thanks for the suggestions!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I too have been thinking about why a break from dieting seems necessary even though we know the consequences aren't always what we want.

My thoughts are:

1. Monitoring fatigue. Logging food everyday gets tedious no matter what method is used. There is often a 'extra' to keep us recording, like days logged in counts, or showing your diary to someone else. Just recording for ourselves, can get 'old' in a busy life.

2. The body wins. On most diets you run around slightly hungry some of the time. Exercise often increases appetite, at least in the long run. I remember when I canoed 35 miles a day for fun. The first week or two, appetites were depressed in the whole group, but at day 10 and beyond, we had to pack more food for everyone. So a deficit calorie intake with increased activity levels, long term, is not a condition that the body likes. We maintain it often by willpower in an environment which is food centric. Maintaining should be easier (and I say should) because we are not trying to maintain a deficit. (at least that is the theory).

3. Feasting is a normal thing in the human experience. All cultures, all histories in the human story, feast. We feast when we gather, we feast when we celebrate. It requires great dedication to not feast at a feast. (and often social pressure comes into play as well) so everything in us says 'enjoy the unusual and good foods in honour of the feasting occasion''. It is very hard to go back to your individual semi-famine in a land of plenty once your brain has eased its control. And we have lost the company of a group famine or deficit.

Pam is correct, I think. It is much harder when drastic change is made. Like Pam, I did not have to make all that drastic a change. Although I guess removing sugars and starches sounds drastic but I was close to it when I started.

Bringing me to:

4. Sugar addictions. I really do believe that the foods in our environment have so much sugar, in all its names, that it is very hard to avoid. And there have been enough studies to convince me that it has an addictive quality. These two factors make staying the course with no breaks even harder because your mind cannot always control the cravings.

A long post! Sorry!
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    Beth, I joke that I have lived in Columbus since 1983 and I haven't seen snow yet!

I'm originally from Erie, PA. The average yearly snowfall in Columbus is 26". In Erie, is 100". A few years ago when Columbus got 38" for the year and everyone complained, Erie had 146"! Cleveland area is about 68" and Buffalo area about 83". Erie is right between the two, but because of the way it sits on the lake, it gets the snow if Cleveland gets it. If Buffalo gets it. And it will get it when they don't!

My nephew lives in Tahoe City and they average 189" a year.

I actually like the snow and sort of miss it. The snow is very insulating and seems to make things cozy. I am not as crazy about the ice that we get here OR the bitter cold. So, I guess it is all determined by what a person is used to. Cincinnati's is about 11" annually so 3" is a lot of snow at one time for you guys. Here we consider 6" a lot. Back home, 15"-18" starts to seem like a lot! :o

Charlie, you are lucky you haven't had snow. I am on the outskirts of Cincinnati, we had a little over 3". I am not a fan of the snow at all.

My son lives in VA, and he had over 13" at his house, he works at a small airport in VA and they had over 3 feet. YUK!

Since you like snow, next time we get snow, I will send it your way. LOL

• dasher602014
    Options
    I saw a stat today that said that people eat 10% more when in company and 30% more when there are 7 or more people at the table. Yikes!
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    I saw a stat today that said that people eat 10% more when in company and 30% more when there are 7 or more people at the table. Yikes!

OUCH!! Those odds do not sound too good. I will have to mentally remember this, and control my eating. Thanks for the heads up! :#
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Beth: That's a good point - logging fatigue. I didn't experience it during the 18 months it took me to hit goal but I think it was part of the reason my brain couldn't log afterwards. As I approached my goal I was feeling concerned about how many calories to increase, but maintain my goal - and then I just couldn't do it another day - at all. I don't have any problem weighing out my food, or checking portion sizes though.

I see that Cooking Light has started to include sugars in their stats at the end of the recipes. It wasn't that long ago that fat was such a no-no that people threw out egg yolks and added applesauce instead of fats to recipes (never me!) and there was that terrible fat substitute, Olean?? There certainly is a lot of added sugars to most processed foods. Then the rise of all sorts of fake sugars that seem even worse. From what I've read even stevia and agave aren't that great. So I will cook with honey and cane sugar in moderation. We come by our sweet craving from birth - that's the first taste of breast milk. I cut sugar and butter by 25% in my baklava recipe - does that qualify as 'Light'? ;)
  • MapDancer
    Options
    Marney - I'm so glad you enjoyed Splash, Splash Love. I would like to share some kdrama links and recommendations and I'm sure Charlie has a favorites list too. Can anyone start a new sub-discussion?
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I think any of us can start a new topic but I have only tried in other groups.
  • gmabethof3
    Options

MapDancer wrote: »
    Beth: That's a good point - logging fatigue. I didn't experience it during the 18 months it took me to hit goal but I think it was part of the reason my brain couldn't log afterwards. As I approached my goal I was feeling concerned about how many calories to increase, but maintain my goal - and then I just couldn't do it another day - at all. I don't have any problem weighing out my food, or checking portion sizes though.

I see that Cooking Light has started to include sugars in their stats at the end of the recipes. It wasn't that long ago that fat was such a no-no that people threw out egg yolks and added applesauce instead of fats to recipes (never me!) and there was that terrible fat substitute, Olean?? There certainly is a lot of added sugars to most processed foods. Then the rise of all sorts of fake sugars that seem even worse. From what I've read even stevia and agave aren't that great. So I will cook with honey and cane sugar in moderation. We come by our sweet craving from birth - that's the first taste of breast milk. I cut sugar and butter by 25% in my baklava recipe - does that qualify as 'Light'? ;)

Pam - I agree that most light recipes are including sugars, I have been using agave in its place, thinking it was better. Now you have me wanting to read up on agave, ...LOL

Like what you did with you baklava, how does it taste? I don't know if its considered Light? But then have you read labels on light things? I looked at a can of progresso soup with "Light Sodium" I looked at a regular can and the difference was only 10 gm's less of salt on the "Light Sodium" I don't know about you but that is not light for me. I'm now making my own soups and chili's with no sodium. :)

• grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I am starting a K-drama discussion right now!