Options

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MapDancer wrote: »
    9 month maintenance anniversary today: 131.4

It pays to know what you put in your mouth... my sister sent up a box of lemons and some oranges from her trees. I made my Grandma's lemon sponge cake - a family favorite. It's made in custard cups, no crust, 1 tablesppon butter- how bad could it be?? Since it is now just DH and myself at home I divided it among four bowls before baking. He asked if I had entered the recipe into MFP yet. I hadn't, so I did, and wow! it was 500 calories/serving. I'll have to use smaller bowls... :(

Well done, Pam! I am cheering for you! ;)

Yes, I know the smaller bowls regret. Everything sweet has to go in smaller bowls. (And currently in this household nothing sweet is served).

Happy Valentines to all! We did have chocolate here. We have a chocolatier in our small town (who would have guessed) and she makes diabetic chocolate using alcohol based sweeteners. (Her husband is diabetic.) It tastes as good as the other chocolate and, although we don't eat much, it is nice to have a treat for the weekend.
  • gmabethof3
    gmabethof3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, hope you are all having a great day. 5+" of snow here, now freezing rain on top of it!... UGH!!

Gayle: when is the next challenge starting? I was doing pretty good on this challenge up to the last two week, need to find a new diet. Your Addictocarb Diet sounds really interesting and so does the paleo diet, going to look into both of these.

Marney: Need to share how you make the "zoodles made out of zucchini", this sound really good.

Everyone have a great week.... :)
  • dasher602014
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi Beth,

I hope things are more stable with your SIL.

I used a julian peeler and did this: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/05/27/basic-zucchini-noodles/

The dryness of the zoodles matters to make it more like pasta. There is also a product here called "Miracle Noodles" which are Shirataki Pasta and have no food value at all! Zero in every category! It allows us to do Asian cooking with more feeling of a real meal.

I looked into Paleo when my niece started it. Following it religiously, a problem here because of their insistence on grass fed beef etc and also not good for DH because it uses real honey etc and not artificial stuff that we have to use, if we want sweetened things. However, it was appealing and certainly not far off the Atkins that we are following so the two households blended when we stayed and cooked for them. Things are better in that area after 14 sessions of CRT for her husband. It is making a difference but slowly.

Talk soon.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    Hi Marney: SIL came home Saturday and is doing good, he is on oxygen and will probably have to be on it the rest of his life. But other wise he is doing fine. Thank you for asking.

I was reading more on the Paleo diet, and think I will try it out. I am not sure why they are insistence on grass fed beef. I did not know that there was a difference. But I will try it and see how it goes. I will let you know.

Thank you for the info on the zucchini noodles, going to try this, I can have zuchini on paleo diet, correct? Hope so. this does sound like something that I would like.

Thanks again, and I will talk to you soon. :)
  • gaylebodine
    gaylebodine Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "Gayle: when is the next challenge starting? I was doing pretty good on this challenge up to the last two week, need to find a new diet. Your Addictocarb Diet sounds really interesting and so does the paleo diet, going to look into both of these".

The paleo made me too constipated, and is too restricted for me, plus I am not a big meat eater. The Addictocarb Diet does not allow any of the addictocarbs: Bread, Potato, HFCS, sugar, flour, rice, pasta, fruit juice, soda initially (two weeks and three days) and suggests the commitment to give up bread and white potatoes for life. Has good substitutes and accommodations for potaoes, bread, rice, pasta.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    The next challenge starts March 4th and goes through May 6th. "Leaning into Spring"!
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    "Gayle: when is the next challenge starting? I was doing pretty good on this challenge up to the last two week, need to find a new diet. Your Addictocarb Diet sounds really interesting and so does the paleo diet, going to look into both of these".

The paleo made me too constipated, and is too restricted for me, plus I am not a big meat eater. The Addictocarb Diet does not allow any of the addictocarbs: Bread, Potato, HFCS, sugar, flour, rice, pasta, fruit juice, soda initially (two weeks and three days) and suggests the commitment to give up bread and white potatoes for life. Has good substitutes and accommodations for potaoes, bread, rice, pasta.

Gayle, Thanks for the info on the challenge, I don't know why it slipped my mind.

Also thanks for the info on the Paleo diet. I am not much a meat eater either, in fact, it would not be hard for me to be a vegetarian if needed too, but Mike wants to loose weight as well and I know being a Vegetarian is not for him. The addictocarb does sound better for me, this sounds alot easier. I would not have problems giving up bread or potatoes, been good at doing that anyway. Are sweet potatoes good?.. You said that I could find this diet on facebook, correct? I will read up on this and see what happens. :)

Thanks again for everything. Will talk with you later.

Beth
  • Cclill
    Cclill Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just looked for addictocarb diet subtitutions for carbs and stumbled upon the addictocarb diet "detox shake" it is all fruit and low fat milk. High carbs! It would make me ravenous!
    I didnt have time to read about it. So I must be missing something!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I too was confused when I read the reviews. It seems pretty high carbs but then I am so low carb, that almost anything is high carb. LOL
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Yes, it is high carbs! But not the addictive ones. Have not been hungry, but then, one gets to eat at will. No white potatoes, no bread (also avoid HFCS, sugar, flour, rice, fruit juice and soda). The only hard ones (but it hasn't been bad) white potatoes, bread, flour/sugar products. I do feel better and I've lost 3.3 pounds hope more shows tomorrow. I am excited about the possibility of eating like a normal person (sans bread/potatoes). This diet is similar to the way I eat normally except for no baked goods, no bread, no white potatoes. He suggests that one give up ONE addictocarb for the long term and mine is Potatoes. Course I CAN have sweet potatoes, including fries. Think this is working for me. I'll try to attach a summary document or a link to the rough draft of his book in the links thread.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Lill, after the first 17 days you can have dark chocolate as long as it is over 65% coca.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Never mind though--it does sound crazy but it is my dream diet. You know how I love the smoothies.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    well done, Gayle. Both for the weight loss and finding the dream diet. THAT is what this is all about. Looking forward to the check in this week so I can cheer for you.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    Oh man, the author of The Addictocarb Diet suggests Dreamfields Pasta and discovered that it does not agree with my digestive system. Guess "off the rack" diets need to be tailored until they fit. Bummed that I have not found a panacea but will keep on keeping on.
  • gmabethof3
    Options
    January 1, 2016 Challenge

January 1 - 178.0
    January 8 - 177.6 = -.4
    January 15 - 177.2 = -.8
    January 22 - 176.6 = -1.4
    January 29 - 176.2 = -1.8
    February 5 - 176.0 = -2.0
    February 12 - 177.6 = - .4
    February 19 - 178.8 = +.8

Gayle - great you lost 3.3 on your diet, your doing a fantastic job! :)

I know I was a lot off this week, but didn't think this much. Fighting a bad cold. Drinking tea and eating soup like crazy, and as my weight shows, eating everything else insight...LOL .....Not able Exercising is also hurting me.

Everyone have a great day, and hope that you all have a great weigh in! :)

• dasher602014
    Options
    Oh man, the author of The Addictocarb Diet suggests Dreamfields Pasta and discovered that it does not agree with my digestive system. Guess "off the rack" diets need to be tailored until they fit. Bummed that I have not found a panacea but will keep on keeping on.

so sorry to hear. The must be other pastas that have the same counts and maybe other ingredient lists. Or go for your regular stuff and just go less? Or like me, go for zoodles or miracle noodles (not at all the same - either choice - just a desparate substitution when we cannot eat pasta- but not bad tasting) ;)
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Not much gain, Beth, for eating everything in sight. Get well soon!
  • dasher602014
    Options
    ]Jan 8: 167.5 -1
    Jan17: 169 +1.5
    Jan 22: 166 -3
    Jan 29: 166
    Feb 4: 166
    Feb 12: 165.5 -.5
    Feb 19: 165 -.5

Pretty much the same for another week and I was really trying this week! However, I took out the tape measure and some time when I wasn't looking, I lost an inch off my waist.

Now my waist to hip ratio is below .8 which is healthy, and my waist to height ratio (age adjusted) is below .6 which is healthy range too. ( well, both say low risk range) so that made me happy.

My next week plan is to stay on plan. We start another month long trip down to the sunny US like I did last year at this time. And last year, I fell off the diet, got sick and fell off mfp and gained 15 lbs before I came back. I am now at the exact same weight and about the start the driving odesessy next wednesday. So, I am staying with the plan, staying with you guys come thick or thin this year.
  • gaylebodine
    Options
    1/01/16: 180.4
    1/09/16: 178.6
    1/15/16: 174.3
    1/23/16: 176.4
    1/30/16: 176.8
    2/06/16: 178
    2/13/16: 182.8
    2/19/16: 178.5

Well, that's progress! Finding my way with what I can eat without the main addictocarbs. I read a lot online and looks like the Dreamfields pasta works for some, not for others. I'm one of the others. But, Marney, I love spaghetti squash, and will try making the zucchini noodles. I've tried the miracle noodles but not in love (see how I talk about food, jesh). After a lifetime of unhealthy "American" eating it will probably take more than 6 days to figure it all out. I least I have recovered from my bread and potatoes cravings.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! Well done. I haven't tried Miracle Noodles but we sort of have to like them around here.

Wow. 4 down in a week. YEAH!!!!!!