Beginner Team Chat Board

Options

Replies

• MsTiffamee
    MsTiffamee Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My strength training routine usually starts off with the character video challenge I have to complete for this challenge, as those are normally considered strength training for me. As for strength training aside from this challenge, I'm currently doing Wii Fit 30 day challenge. I have been doing that once a week instead of daily, but I'm improving and this week I will probably do it twice (these are anywhere from 20-30 min routines). However, in between the Wii Fit challenge I created my own custom workout on the Wii Fit to work my upper body (my legs are usually unfit for heavy lifting at this point Lol). It's a 37 minute routine. Some examples of the exercises Wii Fit has me doing: lunges, side lunges, reverse lunges, squats, various types of resistance training, kick-ups, high knees, etc. and it also incorporates activities that are fun, but also work your muscles including volleyball, tennis, boxing, and inline skating.
  • Bmercy21
    Bmercy21 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Obsessed with the weight loss I always just looked at the calories and occasionally the sodium. From what I see this week I am not consistent with the protein. In the summer I drank a lot of protein shakes but now some days I'm not getting enough.
    Every time I have lost weight (the endless yoyo dieting) I have done it with just diet or cardio. This time I had added strength even before this challenge. And I do see a difference because even though I weigh the same as I did with weight watchers I'm more toned. My workouts consist of biggest loser videos. For strength I usually do Biggest Loser Power Sculpt. And now thanks to this challenge and my new found love for fitness blender, I use some of their strength videos to keep my body guessing and me from getting bored:)
  • jamielynnmobile
    jamielynnmobile Posts: 68 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cindyinpg wrote: »
    furi5tlbl5iu.jpg

All Players
    Last night's show opened with the Termites feasting on meat. Protein and strength training are the keys to having lean healthy muscles. If you haven't done so yet: make sure you are getting sufficient protein* and share your strength training routine on your team's thread.
    *We recommend getting 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass as per the Eat, Train, Progress Group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1464776/sign-up-sheet/p1

So...I checked my reports and I get probably less than 0.5 grams of protein per pound, per day. I don't eat much meat (fish very occasionally), and I do eat Luna Protein bars and use Rainbow Light Protein Powder. I wouldn't mind getting it up to 0.75 grams a pound. Does anyone else struggle with getting a ton of protein every day?
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have a cell phone (yes you read that right...) so any phone apps, won't work for me as far as routines etc....
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    MsTiffamee wrote: »
    My strength training routine usually starts off with the character video challenge I have to complete for this challenge, as those are normally considered strength training for me. As for strength training aside from this challenge, I'm currently doing Wii Fit 30 day challenge. I have been doing that once a week instead of daily, but I'm improving and this week I will probably do it twice (these are anywhere from 20-30 min routines). However, in between the Wii Fit challenge I created my own custom workout on the Wii Fit to work my upper body (my legs are usually unfit for heavy lifting at this point Lol). It's a 37 minute routine. Some examples of the exercises Wii Fit has me doing: lunges, side lunges, reverse lunges, squats, various types of resistance training, kick-ups, high knees, etc. and it also incorporates activities that are fun, but also work your muscles including volleyball, tennis, boxing, and inline skating.

I have the Wii Fit - where do you get this Routine set up???

• tracymayo1
    Options
    YIKES! I just checked my food diary and noticed how I am ALWAYS under my protein goals... I do eat meat, and fish.. I DETEST the taste of powder drinks and shakes so what can I do to improve this????
  • MsTiffamee
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    MsTiffamee wrote: »
    I have the Wii Fit - where do you get this Routine set up???

When you choose your profile it will take you to the "main" page. It will say "Custom Workout." Just click there. Then you have two options: A. Custom workouts that Wii Fit has already made or B. Create your own custom workout. If you choose to create your own it will give you pics of all the different exercises and you just pick the ones you want. It will show you the total workout time and estimated calorie burn for your custom workout. I love it! I have done both, but recently I created my own upper body because my legs just couldn't take anymore and I needed to do some strength training! Lol.

Also, I'm so totally with you on the protein thing. I checked mine after Cindy told me how. MFP has me set for 90g I think. I should be getting 115g. Obviously I need to work on my protein as well!!! :)
  • KristyMayhem331
    KristyMayhem331 Posts: 189 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I occassionaly look at other things besides calories but I mostly focus on calories so I am not really sure what the right amount for the others is. If that makes sense... so what is the general rule of thumb for protein? Right now I am set at 70g which common sense tells me seems really low!

And would also explain why I am constantly over that target LOL
  • DucMouse
    DucMouse Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I occassionaly look at other things besides calories but I mostly focus on calories so I am not really sure what the right amount for the others is. If that makes sense... so what is the general rule of thumb for protein? Right now I am set at 70g which common sense tells me seems really low!

I'm feeling the same way you are, I'm really not sure how to meaure everything else and just go with the MFP says. MY protein intake is 45g....but I'm usually always over it. I try to keep my sugar and carbs low and i'm always under my calorie intake.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    YIKES! I just checked my food diary and noticed how I am ALWAYS under my protein goals... I do eat meat, and fish.. I DETEST the taste of powder drinks and shakes so what can I do to improve this????

Cottage cheese is really high in protein, (lots sodium too, but *shrugs, what can you do). Tuna used to be my go to... but I got sick of it... I usually just have tons of chicken breast...
  • maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Mine MFP suggested is at 65, and a check at the http://www.webefit.com/Calculators/Calc_protein.html tells me it should be 69, so pretty spot on.
  • MsTiffamee
    Options
    I used the LBM calculator on healthstatus.com
  • KristyMayhem331
    Options

Mine MFP suggested is at 65, and a check at the http://www.webefit.com/Calculators/Calc_protein.html tells me it should be 69, so pretty spot on.

Very interesting... The site says the minimum I should eat daily is 65.28g, if I do endurance training then minimum 112.2g with a maximum of 130.56g, and if I do strenght training then 148.92g minimum and a maximum of 159.12g.

Per my dairy I am usually around 80g-90g which I am happy with. Again, my main focus is calories. Maybe I will take a look at the others if I start to in a plateau or something but right now I am happy with where it is all at.
  • tracymayo1
    Options

Based on the above website, I should be eating 52.8n grams (based on my TARGET weight). MFP has me set at 77grams daily!!! I am usually anywhere from 30-42 grams off (below) my target though...
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Very interesting... The site says the minimum I should eat daily is 65.28g, if I do endurance training then minimum 112.2g with a maximum of 130.56g, and if I do strenght training then 148.92g minimum and a maximum of 159.12g.

Per my dairy I am usually around 80g-90g which I am happy with. Again, my main focus is calories. Maybe I will take a look at the others if I start to in a plateau or something but right now I am happy with where it is all at.

Quite the variance, isn't it? Lol. Sounds like you're fine.
  • KristyMayhem331
    Options
    Cindyinpg wrote: »

Quite the variance, isn't it? Lol. Sounds like you're fine.

I was kind of shocked lol. Even though I am not set on watching the other numbers it is still nice to learn a little more about it. I had no idea! :smile: These MFP challenges really teach me things! I love it!
  • KristyMayhem331
    Options
    Hey team! How is everyone doing with the challenges? I am over my cardio but still have to get my strength in. I am not worried, I'll get it done. Please remember to ask for help if needed.
  • julebg79
    julebg79 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that struggle with protein. I checked webefit, and it said i should have a minimum of 63g, and for endurance/strength training 108/143, respectively. I had started making a point of upping my protein when October started, and I did really well meating the 79 goal that MFP set for me for the first half, but looking at my graphs, I can see that I've fallen back off the wagon, averaging something more like the high 60s, low 70s. This is a good reminder to focus on that a bit more.

I do struggle with finding high protein foods to really bump that up. I love beef jerky, and its pretty lean high protein but SO MUCH salt that its really not something I should eat very often. Maybe I will just start cooking a vat of beans every week and adding them to everything.

Tonight, this challenge inspired me to eat an egg with my dinner. :)
  • CindyB97
    CindyB97 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have never paid attention to my protein before this week and our challenge. I reset my goals to 112g a day because my lean body fat is supposedly 109 pounds, and looking at my past numbers I am nowhere near that. I thought I ate a lot of meat! Today was good, I had bacon and eggs for lunch (mmmm, I could get used to that every day). But like others have already said, I will need to think about how else to get more protein in my diet.
  • LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options
    hey everyone. I made all my challenge goals yesterday!!!! so at this point ill have extra of strength and cardio workouts.

I don't know if we can do this but I also did the Beth, Carl/Michonne, & Judith aside from my own. So if you missed you character challenge I'll lend those too. I need to get a pumpkin so I can do the two workouts that want a pumpkin. I'm loving the Halloween style challenges.

Is anyone doing the punishment?