Hufflepuff Common Room

Options

Replies

• lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    NEWTs.....

This week I want everyone to try and eat clean. Try dropping some processed foods.

From eatingcleanworks.com:
    "In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it." "

So each meal or snack that you eat that is clean you earn 2 NEWTs (a max of 12 per day for those-like me- that eat 6 times a day). So, fruits/veggies/lean meats will earn you points!!

Hope this is easy. I know I try to eat clean but pre-done food is soooo easy.

This will definitely be hard for me, but I welcome the challenge! Great challenge Jenn. Love the bike btw.
  • Jenn_W
    Jenn_W Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am so in love with the bike... It is crazy! I seriously am looking forward to Monday Morning riding into work!! (Really?! I just wished away the weekend!)

Hope your ex-mess is over with quick. Stupid jerk is lucky I am so far away or I would totally kick him, I have excellent lower body strength. LOL! And could your babies be any cuter?? Seriously!
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    That is horrible about your ex!!

11/11
    Owls = 2
    Newts = 20 (3 fruit - 17 water)
    HP - 70
  • asltiffm
    Options
    NEWTs.....

This week I want everyone to try and eat clean. Try dropping some processed foods.

"In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it." "

So each meal or snack that you eat that is clean you earn 2 NEWTs (a max of 12 per day for those-like me- that eat 6 times a day). So, fruits/veggies/lean meats will earn you points!!

Great choice! So if I have 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, can I count my snacks if they are also clean?
  • skinnysuzie
    skinnysuzie Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ok, let's work on the arms a little more. The exercise challenge for this week.... push-ups, 1 owl for each set of 10 pushups you do, either girl or boy push-ups. This is not very imaginative, but we were having trouble with our internet earlier, so I am just now getting on to check out the site, and it is midnight, so I just wanted to get something in as I know we are in different parts of the world. Next week, I will try to come up with something that is not so ordinary. Talk to you all tomorrow.
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    afternoon, checking in with my stats. Last night I was at a Scroobious Pip gig and got pretty carried away with the rum...got lots of dancing in and then decided to walk home (it's pretty far), going totally the wrong way; about 8 miles of drunken power walking!

newts - 47
    owls - 14
    house points - 583
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Sorry; just berking around. Ignore this.
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    Sunday is my rest day so I can post my stats already. I hope everyone has had a good weekend. I was at a University open day yesterday which was good. Very informative and it's a nice place, so I'm glad I'm considering it as one of my University's. Had an argument with my step dad part the way through the day (which involved him shouting and swearing at me in front of a lot of people in the canteen. I was horrified), so I was glad to get home.

Stats for 12/11 as I didn't get to post them.

OWLs - 1
    NEWTs - 9
    House Points - 45

Total stats for the 6th through to the 12th;

OWLs - 9
    NEWTs - 63
    House Points - 290

Stats for 13/11

OWLs - 5
    NEWTs - 2
    House Points - 0

Weight - 159!! I'm officially under 160 after gaining 1lb earlier in the week. Managed to lose it again and so I'm back to being under 160!! Wooo!!

Queeda, I'm so sorry your ex acted the way he did, and for him to punch you must have been awful. Did you contact the police? I don't know about laws/rules regarding those kind of things in the US, but had that happened here in England (along with him ripping your door off the hinges), he could be prosecuted for both offences. I seriously hope he doesn't come near you again. He sounds like an awful awful person. I hope you are okay.

I like the clean eating challenge and this certainly will be a challenge for me! I know I won't do too well at it, but it's certainly good motivation!
  • lhurtubise
    Options
    NEWTs.....

Great choice! So if I have 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, can I count my snacks if they are also clean?

Definitely! You get credit for all the clean eating you do. Clean eating is not an easy thing to do. I don't know how well I will do with this challenge but I am going to try!
  • lhurtubise
    Options
    So I was looking at pictures of my kids because they are my main source of motivation and they get me through most anything and I really do think they look quite Asian (No offense to Asian people). It's amazing how multiracial children turn out. My kids have quite a diverse mixture of German, French, Jamaican, and Chinese. Anyways this is nothing to do with weight loss, but the Hufflepuffs are like my free therapists LOL. :love: all of you!
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    So I was looking at pictures of my kids because they are my main source of motivation and they get me through most anything and I really do think they look quite Asian (No offense to Asian people). It's amazing how multiracial children turn out. My kids have quite a diverse mixture of German, French, Jamaican, and Chinese. Anyways this is nothing to do with weight loss, but the Hufflepuffs are like my free therapists LOL. :love: all of you!

Wow, your children are definitely multicultural! They're beautiful children, which I'm sure you already knew, but they really are gorgeous.

Speaking of cultures, it would be interesting to hear about everyone's culture and heritage if you all didn't mind sharing. I can start (well, follow on from Queeda's children :wink: :laugh: )

I'm British! Born and raised in England, I've lived in the same town all of my life. My mother's paternal grandparents originate from Ireland, making me part Irish and my mother's maternal grandmother (along with her siblings and parents) are from Wales, making me part Welsh. I don't know my biological father so only have one side of my heritage, but I class myself as British/English anyway, regardless of their heritage etc. My step father is Italian. He was born in England, but his parents and older sister were born in Italy and moved here in the 1950's.

Now, your turn!
  • msrobinson77
    Options
    Clean eating is such a great idea. Do you wonder why so many young people have cancer and 6 year olds have boobs and half your friends have IBS???? I am convinced that the crappy food we are eating is destroying our bodies. And don't even get me started on school lunches!!! Great challenge Jen.
  • Jenn_W
    Options
    Clean eating is such a great idea. Do you wonder why so many young people have cancer and 6 year olds have boobs and half your friends have IBS???? I am convinced that the crappy food we are eating is destroying our bodies. And don't even get me started on school lunches!!! Great challenge Jen.

I am a firm believer in eating clean... but not the best at doing it. But I think that we hurt ourselves by the junk/processed food we eat. I am so worried my son is going to turn into an obese kid because all's he will eat is processed junk - He is currently 'normal' weight but I am afraid my old bad habits are stuck on him.
  • Jenn_W
    Options

Speaking of cultures, it would be interesting to hear about everyone's culture and heritage if you all didn't mind sharing. I can start (well, follow on from Queeda's children :wink: :laugh: )
    Now your turn.

I am 1/16 Native American - My Dad's Great Grandma, Anne born in an 'Indian Reservation' - which is where I get my middle name. She was born so small that she fit inside a shoe box - they named her 'Cricket' but when she went to a 'white' school she was told that Cricket was not a proper name for a little girl. So, her name was changed. **I have debated if I ever have a little girl to give her a middle name of Cricket or just a nick-name.

-- 1/4 Polish. My Great Grandparents on my mom's side. G-Grandpa born in Poland, G-Grandma 1st Gen born in US. My Great Grandma is still alive. I love to here her family history.

Those are the major parts (only interesting ones) that I know. My Mom's Dad died just before I was born and his side of the family has never been around, so not sure what I got from them. My Dad's side is full of everything. It is something I would love to know more about.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm Karen (no signature now!), and would love to join this challenge and in particular the Hufflepuff team. I am married with no kids and work as a nurse practitioner in an inner city local health department. I am also a budding sprint triathlete. Finished my first one on 10/9, and now I think I am hooked!

Just reading through this short thread is inspiring. Each member is unique, and overcoming (or has overcome) various barriers, and despite that, there is such a positive attitude among you all. I look forward to getting to know all of you throughout the challenge.

I think I have the gist of the challenge. Was it decided how we were going report our weekly weight loss, house points, newts and owl's? To verify the challenges run Sunday to Sunday? I eat cheese made on a farm and chobani greek yogurt . Are these considered clean? I made a potato/kale soup today...That should get me several meals of clean eating
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options

The easy answer is I am American. I am at least 5 generations old in this country. I have been raised knowing my grandparents descend from the following ethnic backgrounds: Scots Irish, Irish, French Canadian, and Russian
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    I'm Karen (no signature now!), and would love to join this challenge and in particular the Hufflepuff team. I am married with no kids and work as a nurse practitioner in an inner city local health department. I am also a budding sprint triathlete. Finished my first one on 10/9, and now I think I am hooked!

Just reading through this short thread is inspiring. Each member is unique, and overcoming (or has overcome) various barriers, and despite that, there is such a positive attitude among you all. I look forward to getting to know all of you throughout the challenge.

I think I have the gist of the challenge. Was it decided how we were going report our weekly weight loss, house points, newts and owl's? To verify the challenges run Sunday to Sunday? And finally, are dairy products counted as clean? I made a potato/kale soup today...Thant should get me several meals of clean eating

Hi Karen, welcome to Hufflepuff.

Our exercise challenges are reported in OWLs with food challenges being reported back in NEWTs. We take part in month long 'inter house' competitions against the other houses (Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin) and this month's is exercise minutes. 1 house point for every minute of exercise you do. Some people prefer to post weekly totals at the end of the week (including exercise minutes, despite it being a month long challenge) but some prefer to do it on a daily basis. It's up to you how you report back :smile:

I'm in England with most of the other Huffles being in North America, at least 5 hours behind me and so I always get a little confused about how long challenges last for :laugh: :blushing:

For me, 'my challenges' run Sunday to Saturday, because the following day the new challenge starts, but as I said, I get confused about when the challenges actually start but that's because of my time difference. I'm pretty sure they're Sunday-Saturday though, because the follow day is the start of a new challenge which is posted earlier that weekend.

We compete against the other houses for exercise minutes (as mentioned), as well as weight loss and this is calculated in percentage. Your weekly weight has to be posted sometime between Friday and Sunday (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and if you've lost weight, that loss, along with any other losses are calculated into a percentage and then we see who wins!

I hope this hasn't made things 10 times more complicated :laugh: Welcome!
  • asltiffm
    Options
    I'm a mutt...I am part Cherokee Indian, Scottish, German...and most recently my dad, who is really into geneology, found out we're realated to a Nordic King, King Gnor...sometime in the 1600's I think he said. Anyway, I have ancestors in many Eurpoean countries. But American is the only culture I know.
  • msrobinson77
    Options
    :happy: Welcome Karen! We have another member who is also a nurse practitioner (skinnysuzie) so you two ladies should be able to offer lots of good health advice to the rest of us.

By the way, I scrapped the macaroni and cheese I was planning to eat for lunch and decided to eat a clean lunch instead. I had a small handful of nuts and carrots and about a half a can of roasted chickpeas. I'd never made them before but, they were pretty yummy and quite filling.

Start with raw chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and patted dry. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder and spray with PAM olive oil spray. Bake at 450 for about 35-40 minutes. Yummy and clean!
  • lhurtubise
    Options

I think I have the gist of the challenge. Was it decided how we were going report our weekly weight loss, house points, newts and owl's? To verify the challenges run Sunday to Sunday? I eat cheese made on a farm and chobani greek yogurt . Are these considered clean? I made a potato/kale soup today...That should get me several meals of clean eating

First of all welcome! I am the Head of House Queeda. To add to Molly's explanation the challenges do run for a week. I am not really picky about which challenge you are on. You can report your OWLs and NEWTs on a daily basis as well as your HP or house points which are the exercise minutes. This was already said, but please report your weight anytime from Friday- Monday. It is important because If you don't report your weight on time I can't count it for 2 weeks. Welcome to Hufflepuff!!!

HufflepuffBadge-2.png