2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends!

Too much has gone on to comment on all the little things so I'll just re-engage from here :)

Jazz fest was amazing, as was the whole weekend. I didn't eat clean at ALL and I ate and drank whatever I want and now I feel like a dinosaur. But it was worth it. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities I've been too and it would have been WRONG not to enjoy all its wonders and calories. As they say, laissez les bon temps roulez!

In good news, as i posted on my profile...I DID A PULL UP! A real one. My friend we were staying with had a pull up rack in a door so I popped on and was surprised I could do one! It was a really triumphant moment and proof that I have gained a lot of strength in the last year. Now I just need to get back on track :) Life is STILL working against me with a bachelorette party, rehearsal dinner and wedding Thurs-Saturday, a business trip next wed-saturday, then a trip to Notre Dame for the BF's brother's graduation...So that being said, I am not going to set up super particular challenges right now. I have my workout scheduled for the entire month so I want to hit all of those AND log all my food everyday in May.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    solar - I'm in awe of your chin-ups....good for you. I don't really know if I *can* do a chin-up, but I'm about to find out. Stage 6 of NROL4W is about the "chin-ups" and "pull-ups", and I'll be there by the end of May. So, we shall see! (Gosh, and you did it while you are down with the FLU - AMAZING!!)

chui - jazz fest sounds awesome - and, goodness - you're doing pull-ups, too?????????????????

Gawd, I feel *really* weak all of a sudden. Damn. I feel like I'm working so hard, so consistently, so constantly at this strength-training stuff, but not really seeing gains in leaps-and-bounds or anything. Yes, I'm stronger. But, not by LOADS. Ladies that started lifting the same time as me are deadlifting 150 lbs and squatting 175 lbs (these are women my age, my height and weigh less than me!!).....and, I'm not even over the 100 mark (yet). Okay, mini-vent over...it really isn't helping me to think like that.

But, sometimes I do.

I re-injured, for the 3rd time, my left shoulder/back/neck last night. In my sleep. Gawd. So, shoulder-checking is making me wince (again) - and I have to sit REALLY upright or I get these sharp pains through the region.

It's May 1. By end of June, I'd like to be <150 lbs. That's my new goal. (Part of the 10-week challenge I started 10 days ago.) So, I'm focusing on nutrition.

Oh, btw, yesterday did NOT end up being a lower-calorie day. It ended up being a normal calorie day...I was too hungry - although I think I made good food choices. So, today HAS to be a lower-calorie day (given the zig-zag theory) - and that means protein bars, because they keep me full.

Bummer, huh? I want to go OFF the protein bars....but if I do that, then I am too hungry. Ugh.
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I know we usually do a 2 week challenge, but I am setting up some new May challenges.

1) Continue to log EVERYTHING....even if I'm not proud of it (I have been pretty good at that lately)
    2) I want to lose 5 pounds in May, to do this I will keep my weekend drinks as minimal as possible and that is my cheat. I am not doing cheat meals. Even if we going out I will keep withing calories and stay as clean as possible.
    3) Keep up with all my Chalean workouts and really focus on running. I have an 8K on June 2 that I would love to set a new record at.
  • chuisle
    Options
    Beeps - I see similar stuff sometimes...I would love to see these women on video. While I fully believe some of them are strong and that's awesome I believe most are probably lifting with less than stellar form. I started heavy lifting 12 MONTHS ago at this point (with breaks and varied levels of consistency but always lifting and doing it heaby) and I squat 135 (never "maxed out") so I skeptical of of some the claims. Either way, I know what you mean. We just have to keep our own achievements in mind. Sorry about your injury :(

Good goals Chloe!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    welcome back, Kate, glad you enjoyed the big easy. sounds like you have a busy May planned.
    Chloe, I have been logging everything but I never complete the entry because I don't want to draw attention to it because I am not proud of my choices here lately.
    Solar, I think 1 pullup is amazing, so 4 when you are sick is really impressive. What did you do to get so strong?
    I have planned to workout tonight but I will be at an unfamiliar gym so I don't know what to expect for the weights situation...
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Kate- Welcome back. Glad you enjoyed your get away. And holy busy May! Yikes! Keep with those goals and you'll be in the right direction. I know for me, if I at least keep myself accountable on here it makes getting back to the grind a whole lot easier than if I just forgo all of it. Props to you.

Amy- I guess that's the one good thing about having 1 gym option here in little old my town. I know what to expect day in and day out,a nd for the most part even who I'll need to *bump* to get to my weights. LoL. Hope it all goes well!

Beeps- Stick with it. I joined up on the NROL board the other day. I can see where there's a lot of variance in how everyone is progressing. But we all have our own responses and journey. You are at it every day. You'll make your strides. Keep at it. I know from just reading that you keep a lot of people moving forward on the board and I'm sure they appreciate that!

Solar- Holy Hannah! I am significantly impressed! You go girl! I have to laugh because my 5 year old (who I'm so glad is inspired by DH & I's fitness journey) is all about proving he can do lots of push ups and pull ups. He beats me at push ups for sure. I've never tried a pull up. At least not this year but I'm sure I will now with NROL. I'll have to remember how you hammered them out and get inspired when I hit that stage!!

Chloe- What can I say? Good goals as usual. I just said it last post but your transition into cleaner eating has really been phenomenal.

As for me, well...I finally was able to do squats WITHOUT the Smith Machine. We don't have the typical set up at our little gym, and I'd never thought to ask Dh about it until last night. So he went over with me and showed me where the big guys set up for their squats. Duh, apparently at 5am I'm oblivious. But I think the other guy whose at the gym with me at that time has the same impression because we both have been relying on the Smith Machine. So today when I was going at it with the free weights...he walked by and said 'OHHH glad I caught you doing that!' and promptly followed after I did. It felt a little scary and I told DH I think it'll be a mental hurdle for a bit because I was squatting around 80lbs the first 2 workouts and had to go down to just a 10 plate on each side to start so I could make sure my form was correct. Banging out 12 was a struggle but I think it was just that 'what if' that had me worried. I'm sure I can push myself past that. I upp'd alot of my weights..well, all of them as directed by the book when you transitioned from 15 to 12 reps per set. Felt good to move on. Also found a better place to do the step ups since I was using a bench and the cushion made my feet uneasy. Felt like a good workout and I was glad I hit it in the AM and could feel the effects throughout the day.

Eats are the same...need some adjusting but the green tea in place of Diet is going well. Granted it's only day 2. But after a grocery run on Thursday to get more of my favorite go tos, I'm sure it'll be great.

Also, as a proud Mama, I have to say (and granted it's *only* tee ball) but my little man cracked 2 balls clean out to out field last night for the 2 best hits he's ever had. It was amazing! Was so proud of him. :happy:
  • mamareese
    Options
    Drive by Question:

Has anyone tried a max weight? DH thinks I'm underestimating myself, which is entirely possible. But, he suggested finding my 1 rep max to build some confidence for going at the 12 reps NROL has in the program. Has anyone done this?

I used to do bench press days on days I lifted with DH just to see how much I could put up but haven't touched it since last summer. Just curious if everyone's max weight is for the program they are working at the reps suggested or if you've found your max.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried 1 rep max, reese, but I guess we don't know what we can do until we try!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I am impressed by all the pullups, max weights, etc! You ladies are strong! It makes me miss belonging to a gym. My home gym just has a bench and free weights. I sort of want to at least get a mini bar with some plates. Maybe a full bar one day. We are space limited though so......

Well it looks like you are all doing very well on eating clean and working out a lot! Yesterday I felt like I ate way too much sodium; I did, my diary shows it. Weeknights are tough with the new baby. We didn't eat dinner till 9pm last night and I baretly squeezed in a 20 minute run. But I did and because I was in such a hurry (and had no stroller) I ran the fastest I have run in probably over a year. I did a little over 2 miles at about a 6.5 mph pace which for me even before prego, is fast. So I was stoked about that. We also walked with the baby a little because she was super cranky and it calms her down and puts her to sleep. I seriously doubt I'll be able to get any strength in this week. My parents are coming in town tomorrow and this is Derby weekend here in Louisville. We're having a party Saturday and Friday we'll be watching Oaks races all day. Maybe just maybe if I am real motivated I'll get something done Friday morning before the mimosas start flowing. Luckily my Mom is a health nut too, so I can probably convince her to at least walk with baby and me, maybe even run.

Well I hope you all have a great week!
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    ... I baretly squeezed in a 20 minute run. But I did and because I was in such a hurry (and had no stroller) I ran the fastest I have run in probably over a year. I did a little over 2 miles at about a 6.5 mph pace which for me even before prego, is fast. So I was stoked about that. We also walked with the baby a little because she was super cranky and it calms her down and puts her to sleep. I seriously doubt I'll be able to get any strength in this week. My parents are coming in town tomorrow and this is Derby weekend here in Louisville. We're having a party Saturday and Friday we'll be watching Oaks races all day. Maybe just maybe if I am real motivated I'll get something done Friday morning before the mimosas start flowing. Luckily my Mom is a health nut too, so I can probably convince her to at least walk with baby and me, maybe even run.

Well I hope you all have a great week!

Better - Congrats on the new speed on your run! Have a great time with your parents, your party and with Derby weekend!!! I wish we had something festive going on here. I could throw a backyard BBQ party, but that would require cleaning a now incredibly messy house and grocery shopping and baking and food prep and.. whew, I'm tired out just thinking about it. And you just recently had a baby and you're throwing a party - impressive!! That's great for your baby, too, to go out on runs and walks - she's a lucky girl(?)!! I hope you can squeeze in a walk/run Friday morning : I know that for me, I would feel better for the rest of the day, no matter how hectic it was. :) Have a great week!
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    .... So he went over with me and showed me where the big guys set up for their squats. ...

Eats are the same...need some adjusting but the green tea in place of Diet is going well. Granted it's only day 2. But after a grocery run on Thursday to get more of my favorite go tos, I'm sure it'll be great.

Also, as a proud Mama, I have to say (and granted it's *only* tee ball) but my little man cracked 2 balls clean out to out field last night for the 2 best hits he's ever had. It was amazing! Was so proud of him. :happy:

Great job, little man!!! Glad you're liking the switch to green tea. I LOVE green tea. I have at least 10 boxes/canisters right now that I rotate. Teavana, Numi and the Dushanbe Teahouse have great varieties that I intermix with less costly options.

What brands of green tea do you all like?

Q: Green tea makes me absolutely nauseated if I accidentally let it steep for more than about 90 seconds. My parents won;t touch the stuff b/c the first time they drank it (after I raved about it), they steeped it like regular tea (3 - 5 minutes) and shortly after drinking it both of them barfed. It wasn't a bad batch; I had no problems when I only steeped it for 1 minute. So maybe it's a genetic thing?? Has anyone else felt nauseated after steeping green tea for too long???

Amy - This will sound strange, but I think it's the real reason I've always been strong: when I was really young we had a mini-trapeze, a trampoline and a swimming pool and I spent all my time playing on these things. That set the foundation. We moved when I was an older child and from then on I chopped and stacked wood fairly regularly since it was the main source of heat in our freezing cold house. I guess it's also b/c I've always been too impatient to wait for someone else to help me lift or carry heavy things. Need a fence installed? Why wait 3 weeks for someone else - I just grabbed the pick ax and broke through all those rocks myself. For me, I lift so that I can do real life things that require strength and endurance.

Then again I'm also competitive and always pushed hard to be the fastest runner, farthest shot putter, best server, etc. It helped being clueless about boys in high school -- I arm wrestled all the football players on our winning team (except for the star - he refused) and beat all of them except one. Yeah, like THAT's a good way to get guys to ask you out! Having my best guy friend tell me he wanted my legs - as in to swap for his own straight undefined legs -- did not make me happy nor did my running coach telling me I had "a caboose" (muscular butt -- at a time when flat butts were all the rage. Thank you, J. Lo, for changing that!). I had body image issues for years (until last year, actually) b/c I never looked (and never will be) uberthin and willowy like all the heroines in novels and all the models (with big boobs) in magazines.

But being healthy and being able to do things such as quickly hauling my 150-pound sister out of the rapids and into the raft makes it worth it. and WOW, THAT was long winded!!!

Mama - I have never tried the one rep max -- too afraid of injuring myself! I was hit by a car (that ran a red light) 11 years ago and it took so long to recover from all the injuries that I hesitate to do anything that could re-injure something.

Beeps - So sorry about your shoulder/neck/back injury! I hope it heals quickly!

I uploaded a pic of my arms. After I lose the 5 lbs I just gained while sick, I will take pics in my new 2-piece as the Before pics for both NROL and 30DS/RI30. It makes me very nervous, tho' this forum is about being healthy, and posting pics will keep me accountable. Thanks, Chuisle, for the motivation! You look great!

I have modified goals for the remainder of this week:
    1) Eat more veggies and stay within calories!
    2) Exercise if I feel up to it, rest if I don't.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options

Better - Congrats on the new speed on your run! Have a great time with your parents, your party and with Derby weekend!!! I wish we had something festive going on here. I could throw a backyard BBQ party, but that would require cleaning a now incredibly messy house and grocery shopping and baking and food prep and.. whew, I'm tired out just thinking about it. And you just recently had a baby and you're throwing a party - impressive!! That's great for your baby, too, to go out on runs and walks - she's a lucky girl(?)!! I hope you can squeeze in a walk/run Friday morning : I know that for me, I would feel better for the rest of the day, no matter how hectic it was. :) Have a great week!

Thanks! Yes, we're having a party. Only about 10 people are coming. We have "parties" quite often which really just amounts to close friends coming over. It's not much work; my husband is OCD so our house is typically borderline spotless and we do potluck and bring your own meat to grill and booze to drink. Although I am making my signature Ashley Palmer cocktail for the party. Last year we drank 5 punch bowls of the stuff....and then some.

BTW, impressive arms! And imprssive strength! I guess chopping wood, etc. will do it for you. I agree with you though on "training/sculpting" your body early. I was a clogger from age 5-10 and did a little gymnastics, then cheered 3 years, and played soccer for 1 and pretty much started running after that. I attribute my snazzy legs to all of that. Muscle memory..... Therefore I want my baby (yes a girl) to get involved in active stuff when she's old enough. For many reasons other than to have nice legs. :smile:

I had plans to run last night; I even was dressed for it and then my husband convinced me we should go out to dinner so we didn't mess up the kitchen (OCD cleaner) before my parents come. At least we walked there and back. That may have burned one of the glasses of wine I drank.

Hope you all have a great day! Keep up the great work!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Sooooo, I did a "mini-measurement" today (my husband will do the formal tape measure thing tomorrow morning). I did my natural waist, my belly button waist and my hips.

I have lost 0" for the month of April.

:sad:

That's right. Zero. As in, those 3 measurements stayed EXACTLY the same. Boy, is THAT deflating!! I cannot tell you how upset that made me. I lifted every day except one scheduled day in April. I cleaned up my diet in April (compared to March) and, especially the last 10 days of April, I REALLY focused on no processed food, portions, calories, etc.

I haven't stepped on the scale, but who the hell cares?? I want to lose INCHES and now, not only is the scale stalled, but so are the inches?? 4 months into this??

Gawd. I am BEYOND frustrated. There isn't any *fix*....I just keep carrying on, but it sure feels POINTLESS some days (except that, I didn't slide or gain any inches, so that's a good thing).

Sometimes, it feels I do LOTS of hard things and get NO results for them. That's all. Vent over.

The end.
  • chuisle
    Options
    Beeps - That Is Not FAIR! It really sucks and I commiserate with you. You know the answer, sadly, (keep going!) but it doesn't make it feel any better! Any chance it will show in pics???
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I don't think my pics for April will be much different than my pics for March. Just a bummer all around.

Maybe I need a rest week....I'm supposed to be taking rest weeks between the stages, but I didn't take one between Stage 3 and 4 and I wasn't going to take one between Stage 4 and 5....but, now I'm thinking that might be a good idea. I'll finish up Stage 4 on Friday and then I'll stick in a cardio-only week, maybe get outside for walks, try and remember what it feels like just to move my body cardio-style.

And then get back into heavy-lifting and KILL IT.

I guess that's really all I can do, right??
  • ChLoE1130
    Options
    Sorry Beeps! I know that has to be super frustrating. I know some of you are doing the NROL program and I don't know too much about it, but does it say that you shouldn't be doing cardio at all? I know there are alway new theories and programs out there and I love this forum so much because we can ask questions and challenge each other. But, I guess I cannot agree that doing no cardio at all will increase fat loss. It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't think doing JUST cardio or JUST strength training could possibly be as effective as doing a balanced combination of both. I just wanted to give my two sense :wink: and I know some with disagree with me and that's fine.
  • chuisle
    Options
    Hey Chloe - it doesn't say no cardio. It incorporate high intensity cardio in a lot of the workouts but also says you can of course do other fitness activities but to make sure it doesn't inhibit your recovery from the lifting days.

I think on fat loss it comes down to semantics in some ways. Technically, weight lifting is a cardio activity. Your heart rate goes up, you burn calories. Now, this is a very different bodily activity than say anything steady state but in terms of the physics of it you are still doing extra "work". The difference is anaerobic and aerobic.

Research shows that high intensity training is MUCH better for fat loss than steady state cardio. Hands down. It doesn't mean that steady state cardio is bad for you or that it doesn't help with fat loss at all but it does mean if you are training for a marathon because you want to lower your body fat its like playing tennis to get better at baseball. Will it help? Perhaps. Is it optimal? No. Anaerobic activity, like weights, HIIT, or metabolic work, is simply more effective (see here: http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm)

That said, I see nothing but good things about going for a run or training for a race or whatever! I like throwing in aerobic exercise. I think its good for your health and can help work off a few extra cals. But it doesn't help with body recomposition.

And definitely - every workout should be balanced! I think including metabolic work in your strength routine (aka high intensity cardio) is crucial.

Thoughts anyone else?
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Even though the pics didn't show on my computer for some reason, that makes me want to make strength training a priority. I am torn though because my running is going so well. And of course I'm still trying to get my schedule worked out. Hmmm.....

What types of inteval training do you all do? My first thought was "speed work on the treadmill" and then of course she proceeds to semi poo-poo on that. I like using kettlebells; how can I incorporate that into high intensity and interval training?

Thanks research queen. ;)

Oh, and sorry Beeps for the slow progress. Who knows, maybe something will turn around in the next couple weeks! Weight loss and body recomposition can be so frustrating. The good news is that you are committed and sticking to it so I don't see how you can't benefit from that. So yay you!

OK, time to work.....at least its like my Friday.
  • mamareese
    Options
    I can't add much aside from what Kate said. This is what the research shows in terms of being most effective over all. But as she said, balance is everything and going at it with knowledge in the back of your head while still balancing what you ENJOY and what you feel works for you and keeps you motivated is important.

I do incorporate other types of workouts in with the NROL stage that I'm in now, even though it isn't 'required'. I just make sure that I listen to my body. I am still aiming for a 5k at the end of May so when my legs feel good and I'm able to, I get in those runs. My strength training is 3 workouts a week with either the runs or HIIT as my supplemental. Typically either Turbo Fire's HIIT workouts or one I've stolen off the internet :laugh: . When it comes to these supplemental workouts, I try to pick something that keeps my body guessing but is also something that isn't going to bore me. It can be hard enough to get up at 5am without dreading the workout ahead!!

With that said though, I understand why people love to run. Even though it's not a 'love' per say of mine. It's something simple, free and easy to do. It's something that you can consistently push yourself at, change courses with, or adjust to fit your time/needs/schedule.

Ashley- check out myomytv.com ~ if I recall correctly she does a lot of different types of workouts with kettlebells. She posted new routines often.

Beeps- What a PIA on the #s. Frustrating as it is and vent worthy - keep at it. This stage of the game is frustrating as all hell. It seems like you enjoy your workout schedule though so keep pushing. What stage in NROL are you in? Where have you set your calorie level at? And one last Q ...the HIIT and ab work you do - is that in addition to what NROL calls for or is that in line with the book. (I haven't read past Stage 2 yet)

My day consists of staying sane at work so that at 2 I can hit the gym with DH. Going to go through my NROL workout B with him and see if I can't find my max. I need to build a little confidence in the weight room. I need to have a little push to go a little heavier but I want him there to make sure my form is spot on (as it can be) so that on mornings I go at it alone, I'm doing it correctly. So I'm excited. With 2 kids we don't exactly get time alone together often and this is one of my favorite (as lame as it sounds!) little outings that we try to plan every so often!!
  • ChLoE1130
    Options
    Totally agree with everything said. My mindset right now, which is working for me, is that clean eating and watching my calories is what is making me lose pounds. Strength training is what is moving those pounds around to be in places that I want them to be :happy: And my cardio sessions are good for my mental state, the endorphins I get from getting my heart rate up to 185 from a crazy sprint session and sweating like a pig for some reason does great things for my mood!

As far as the HIIT vs long steady state cardio, this is what I have gathered from my own research....the best cardio for fat loss is to do a good 15-20 hit session followed by a 30 minute steady state cardio session. This all works out great for me as far as running goes. I do 3 days of strength, one long distance run, and 2-3 shorter HIIT days. My HIIT days usually are 20 minutes of intervals on the treadmill followed by 30 minutes of running to keep my heart rate around 160.