2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You guys are right about using light vs. heavy weights. If your weight is too light you're never going to get to failure, you've got to really push yourself to make a noticeable change. Sadly many women are still under the impression that they will "bulk up" if they lift heavier weights. The owner of one of the companies I work for has been doing crazy cardio because she says she wants to lose some fat before lifting weights. Yikes! I tried to explain how lifting would help and muscle burns fat, etc. She just glazed over. Oh well.

I have been logging consistently and sure enough, my eating habits are improving. Unfortunately I've hit some roadblocks with the excercise - sickness, crazy schedules, full childwatch at the gym - very frustrating - but hope to get back on track soon. With the weather warming up and the sun being out later I can get some more running in which will help.

I have wanted a tattoo for the longest time, but the fear of pain, the price and the trouble I would have deciding what and where will prevent that from ever happening.

I hope everyone's week has gone well. Take care!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    What about "face tattoos"?? What about THAT??

(Think Kat Von D for women and Mike Tyson for men.)

Sheesh. That's probably EXACTLY what my daughter will do....

Actually, one of the reasons I don't EVER talk (negatively) about tattoos, at home, is because I WANT my kids to think that I think they are COOL - as in, I'm using "reverse psychology" on them from a very young age. Perhaps if they think that I think that tattoos are "cool", they won't bother to get one. I think my oldest son will get one very soon....probably this year. My middle son is TERRIFIED of needles, so no worries there. And, my beautiful baby daughter has such an EXPRESSIVE streak in her - she's VERY MELODRAMATIC - that I expect she'll pierce her navel and probably tattoo somewhere (but not her pretty face, I hope!).

My oldest son, also an expressive/dramatic type, has had orange hair, purple hair, blue hair, green hair, but NO piercings and NO tattoos (yet!! I think he's too afraid to pierce, but he's wanting to tattoo). My middle son, won't have any of that jazz - he really *is* Alex P. Keaton!! And, my daughter - I think she'll go for pink hair and purple hair and feathers in hair, etc.
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies (and guys if any)

Thank you all for your welcomes! sorry I can't check in more often I'm really busy with schools and national exams are currently being administered so this week is extra hectic and stressful.

As for my goals so far I've actually set a new goal for this week to find an appropriate calorie goal, I've recently upped from 1200 to 1650, but I haven't t been eating back my exercise calories because I tend to work out at night that then I'm either too tired or it's too late so I decided to go to i believe it was bodyfitradio.com and calculate my calorie goal including my exercise calories so I do not have to eat them back and got 2045. I'm currently contemplating whether I should rip the band aid off and just eat at that number or slowly increase by 100-200 calories. And as for the shred I have yet to miss a day since I set up my goals but I have also yet to start befit in 90, I just have no energy since I started working out which I think may be linked to my decrease in calories, so I hope once I get used to my new goal I'll feel a bit better.

Oh and I've been looking around for the resource board mentioned so I can get a better understanding of how this challenge works but i am having a little trouble locating it (I'm not the best with computers :)) so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Good luck to all of you with your goals for these upcoming weeks and thank you again for your welcome :)
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    love catching up with everyone...no time to comment but just wanted to say keep it! I love our conversations on here. No tattoos for me...I did decide I wanted a nose stud in college...but not until second semester senior year and then I knew I would just take it out when I went on to a real job so I decided it wasn't worth it. Ever practical.

Mitt Romney cancelled on us today, damn him. Did meet some FASCINATING people though. Here's' the conference: http://www.bigomaha.com/

And Beeps you asked about TED (its AWESOME): http://www.ted.com/talks
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey chicks. Just a quick check in before I start working today. We had to reschedule our tattoos. This will be my third. It will be a Sydney print on my foot. I also have a tramp stamp; although it is pretty but the location is so cliche. I got it when I was like 22 or something. I;m surprised I didn't get one sooner; I wanted one from the time I was 16 or so. I also have one that I am putting a picture of because I love it so much. I'm going to add a baby tree with pink flowers on it for my daughter. I plan on adding for each kid (2-3). To me tattoos are like art on the body. But I would never get one that I couldn't cover easily if I want. I work at an engineering firm and engineering types tend to be pretty conservative and sometimes judgemental of tattoos.

tattoo.jpg

I've had a great week as far as working out and eating. Last night I went to dinner and ate some french fries and drank more wine that I wanted, but that's been about it for cheats this week. I had a great strength session yesterday. I did 2 days worth (7 moves - set of 15, 2 sets of 8 and 1 set of 6) of a program I found on bodybuilding.com that focuses on compound moves. I also was doing dead lifts and remembered the convo about working glutes more doing this exercise. (At least I think that was the goal). Anyways, I find if you put weight in your heels, to the point where you can wiggle your toes, and stick your butt out while bending, this helps to work the glutes more. At least for me.

Looks like you all are doing great. I have 1 HIIT and 1 strength day and 2 days of 100 crunches left to do this week. I think I can do it!

Happy Friday!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Sorry my pic is so big. They changed Photobucket and I don't feel like learning it right now to figure out how to edit.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Okay, since you opened the door....I'm going to ask the question:

If you like your tattoo - and you have expressed that you do - why put it in an area that YOU don't see it, but all the rest of the people do?? (Because, the rest of the people might not like your tattoo....)

That is my question.

If you like the "body art", why put it in a body part that you cannot even see - but that you force everyone else to look at??

(And, it isn't that I don't like your tattoo....it is quite lovely....but, my eyes are accosted, quite regularly, by other people's versions of 'body art' that include naked women, guns, and other things I find offensive.)

Debate.

(PS - I'm kind of doing this tongue-in-cheek, so I hope you understand that I am not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings....)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    For Project: there aren't any specific "rules" to this 2-week-challenge board.

I believe Amy started it - and she can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been using it as a way to try and instigate new (good!) habits into my health/fitness/nutrition plans. I figure I can do anything for 2 weeks.

And then, 2 weeks later, you can always change it up!!

Some of the things I have tried (over various 2-week-challenges): 1) logging daily, 2) eating fewer protein bars, 3) getting a work-out in daily, 4) eating more protein, etc., etc.

Right now, I'm in week 2 of a 10-week-challenge, elsewhere on mfp, but I'm using it as my "2-week-challenge", too. So, I am:

1. lifting heavy 3 times per week;
    2. adding cardio 3 times per week; and
    3. eating at a 300-500 calorie deficit everyday of the week, except one day of the week when I can eat at maintenance.

Hey, what are you other girls doing right now, for challenges??
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    On the tattoo front (and no I'm not offended): Honestly I put it on my back because something that big that can be easily covered (therefore only seen by others about 25% of the time maybe in warm months) can either be on your back, stomach, legs, butt, etc. On the back, unless I wear stragpless (doesn't happen too often), you only see parts of it. I don't personally like tattoos on legs, and stomach and butt no one would ever see. So its sort of the only place something that big would fit. So I guess yes, it is kind of like showing off my art, or maybe accessory is a better word. And I do like when people want to see my tattoo, compliment me on it, etc. And I can see parts of it without having to look in the mirror. But I get it....so maybe its more of an expression. LIke selecting a specific scarf, hat, pair of earrings for others to look at. Earrings! There's a good comparison. I can't see my green glass earrings right now, but I know they compliment my green shirt. But I agree, I don't like seeing the terrible tattoos. Some I just don't get.

Enough about tattoos! Here are my goals and my progress:

1 day KB HIIT - I DID ANOTHER HIIT AND PLAN ON A 2ND TONIGHT
    1 long-for-me run (4 miles min) - 3.9...CLOSE ENOUGH
    2 days cardio (running, 30 mins min.) - maybe cut this to 1 if strength is deemed more important b/c this is a heavy load for me -2 MILE RUN, 30 MINUTE WALK DONE
    1 day strength - YEP AND PLANS FOR 2ND
    100 crunches 5 days - 3 DOWN
    Drink 12 glasses water a day - MAYBE WAS SHORT BY 2 YESTERDAY BUT I QUIT LOGGING :(

I'm going to try for this again next week and maybe add in 1 more day of HIIT and strength.

How is everyone doing with their goals?

Sorry for lots of posting....I totally don't feel like working today.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think your tattoo is really lovely. I really like the rib cage ones now, too. I saw a few at Social D that were crazy, one guy had the back of his head tattooed and it was shaved only in that spot to reveal it.
    The Resources board is here:
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    Anyone know how to get it "pinned" to the top?
    I am too tired to workout today so I will do it tomorrow!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Alright, I agree, enough about tattoos....except that I *LOVE* a good debate. And, we don't have a "general debate" board here at mfp.

Anyhooooo, BetterBalance, your challenge goals look EXCELLENT. Good for you!

Amy, I don't know how to *pin* anything....oh, and that makes me think of "pinterest" which, as of this moment, I also have ZERO INTEREST IN.

I went back to the heavy-lifting, again, today. My rest week has ended. This friggin' heavy lifting stuff is H-A-R-D. Gack!! Only 4 reps!! Should be a piece-of-cake, but, oh no, I am SORE, SORE, SORE. Blech. Sore.

Glad to be back at it, though!! Even one week away seems to result in such BAD DOMS for me....booooooooooooooo.
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I miss ASCheif, too.

Things have been bad and I just haven't had the emotional or physical energy to log on. Too many friends suddenly dying and too much hostile-neighbor stress. For some reason I'm having a really hard time coping with it all.

Amy, you said something a while ago about the fact that I (and other "muscle-y" people) must have muscles mostly because of my genes. That is similar to very overweight people saying to fit people how lucky the fit people are to be so naturally fit. It discounts all of the hard work done every single day for years to maintain that strength and fitness. It also begs the question of why do you lift heavy and hope to gain muscle if you think muscles are mostly genetic? i'm sorry if this sounds irritated, but it DID rub me the wrong way. I have been harassed by family members and "friends" for years about my exercising and lifting and I finally felt with this NTHG group as if I had found a group of similarly motivated and like-minded women. And then I read that line and - wham! - it felt like being hit (but not HIIT). It's probably my struggling right now b/c of all the recent deaths in my close circles, but I had to say something rather than just disappear like ASCheif.

Now I"m going to crawl into bed and try to think about happier times.
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    And TED is amazing!!! The best talks are on there. Look up Randy Pausch (sp) from Carnegie Mellon.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Oh dear, solar - it *does* sound like you are having a rough go of it!!

Please stick around....we *are* a supportive group, even if sometimes the written word doesn't quite sound like we thought it did in our heads!

(I'm 100% sure Amy didn't mean to make it sound as if you haven't worked VERY HARD for every single muscle on your body....Amy is one of the nicest people you could EVER meet on mfp, I promise!!)

Have you been able to get some exercise in, solarpower, to reduce your stress during this very trying time?? I hope you have - things can be SO tough if you cannot get a work-out in!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did my step-aerobics class this morning. My hammies were SCREAMING at me from yesterday's weight-lifting, but I got through it! I'm keeping my diet in check - even though we are eating out, tonight. Diet coke and fish entree for me!

The weather is beautiful, today. I have to get some work done, but then it's LAZY SUNDAY for me, tomorrow....I'm gonna milk mother's day for ALL IT IS WORTH!

My husband is cooking a brunch - raspberry/feta strata, plus shredded hash browns, plus an egg-bacon-cheese thing. Yum! Then, the temp-nanny, my 2 youngest kids and I are going off to see a theatre production of "The Sound of Music" tomorrow afternoon. Hubby is going to spend the aft with his mom who is in town for her once-a-year-weekend-visit (from England!). And then, we're all going out to a nice restaurant for MOther's Day supper and even our oldest son is getting off work to come to that.

I'M SUPER EXCITED - AND DID YOU SEE?? NO WORK-OUT TOMORROW - A PURE REST DAY FOR BEEPSIE-POO!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Hey ladies. I hope your weekends were grand. Mine was good. Too busy as usual, but still good. I managed to get a quick HIIT from bodyrock.tv in Friday after work. It was pretty killer although I wasn't as sore as I was from doing a little less difficult one on Monday. Some of the moves are so difficult (push ups while brining leg up to side for example) I feel like I may not be getting as much benefit than doing simpler moves like mountain climbers, etc. Anyways, I want to stick with one of these a week in addition to the other routine I did last week. Saturday we walked around a lot of the day - to the coffee shop, farmers market, to get our tattoos (which turned out lovely), etc. I could have made my goals if I'd don't some strength and crunches yesterday but it was my first Mothers Day and I didn't feel like it. Overall I had a good week. This week I'm going to aim for my same goals but my foot is still quite tender so I may have more strength in store this week. I could do that in sock feet.

Solarpower, sorry you're having a tough time. :flowerforyou:

Well time to get motivated. Wah.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I hope all of you beautiful mothers out there had a great Mother's Day yesterday :)

Solar - Yes, I am in sewing :) I work for a toy company though, so it isn't too competitive for me, it is a lot of fun though! I can't wait til I have kids so I can actually use my discount! Also, I love your tattoo, it's beautiful! And you sound like you are doing great!

Amy - Congrats on the compliment! That must have made you feel awesome as it should!! Glad you are doing so well!

Beeps - Thanks for the article, I still haven't had enough time to read it... darn work keeps getting in the way of my MFP time :P The sewing is going well though! I finished my blazer and am almost done with my bathing suit, I just have to attach the straps, which I also need to buy 2 beads for in the design. I will try to post a pic if I'm not distraught with how they come out! I also agree with the higher weights, lower reps, I like quick workouts!! I hope you enjoyed your rest day yesterday as well!!

Abigail - Great job logging!! You'll get back into the routine soon I'm sure for exercising :)

Project - Welcome!!

Solar - I'm so sorry for what you have been going through :( Please take care of yourself.. make sure you try to do something that will make you happier during this time of sadness <3

I have been having a crazy time lately!! Work has been extremely busy and I've had to stay late, missing my jazz class, and then I have to go home right after because my parents wait for me to eat dinner and I don't want them to wait longer by going to the gym instead :( I was all ready to start jazzing again today and tomorrow.. butttttt.. yesterday while we were having a cookout with my family my bf decided to move his chair away from the table (one of the heavy outdoor patio chairs) and it landed right on my middle toe :( It hurts so bad!! I don't think it's broken, but my gosh it hurts to walk on!! And of course I have to wear closed toe shoes to work so it does NOT feel good right now! So I'm thinking I will have to skip jazz tonight, hopefully it will be better tomorrow! I will try to do weights today though, I can do them barefoot at home, so that should make it feel a little better I think. I just really want to work out!! This week will okay for all but 2 days of eating.. Wednesday is when I get my Master Seamstress certificate, so it will be a bit potluck, and Thursday is a Ladies Wine Dinner at a local restaurant, so it's a pri fixe meal with 4 smaller glasses of wine. It will be delicious! Just not really healthy! I am thinking of making a cous cous salad for the pot luck, that way I know there will be something reasonably healthy for me to eat.. any other ideas for a healthy choice that wouldn't be too expensive?? They are thinking there might be 45-60 people.

Hopefully this week will go better than it started yesterday!! Happy Monday everyone!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Hope you all had an amazing Mother's Day! I know I did :) Even though I'm just a mom to a fur baby right now. We had my family and my inlaws over for a cookout. Which I did better than I would have if we went to a restaurant, so that was good. I was under on my overall calorie goal for last week, only by 74 cals. I worked out all seven days. I was supposed to rest yesterday, but I felt good and knew I would be eating alot last night so I was happy to get that in. The scale is still up, which is starting to piss me off, but I'm trying to not get too stressed about it.

Goals for this week are the same. Get in workouts and stay within cal goals. Its going to be a rough week though. We have my sisters graduation Thursday (which will probably involve going out after), dinner with some out of towners Friday, best friends grad party Saturday and cousins birthday party Sunday. So I will be doing the best I can!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Hi friends! So back from traveling. Did NOT log like I wanted, even though I really planned on it (did get my last stage 3 workout in though). At first I was just disappointed in myself, then upon more introspection I think I am sort of "over" the minutiae of my health routine. I get stressed by the pressure of "disppointing" friends here and while the social aspect is one of my main reasons for success it is also a bit much sometimes. I have been logging for so long that I think I need a clean break to come back remotivated next week. I am on rest week this week and plan to come full force with IF and stage 4 next week.

So I beg absence until next Monday when I get back from my last scheduled trip (FINALLY) You all are awesome and help me so much!!! I promise to be fully engaged when I return :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi to all! I'm just going to respond to chuisle, because I'm time-deprived....I TOTALLY AGREE THAT "obsession" with posting here can REALLY interfere with what is "good" about posting on mfp.

So, don't worry about it - do what YOU need to do - I do NOT think "tracking" or "not tracking" is the mark of a "fit" person. Period.

PS - my mfp website is all wonky, today....anybody else experiencing UBER-large topic banners at the top, and weird margins on the community posts??