2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I was just catching up on everyone's posts and noticed that I am not the only one who gets off track on the weekends. It's so much easier to stay on track during the week. Last Saturday I made cookies for a dance recital my daughter and I were both in and I ran out of baggies to put them in - so I ate the rest! I should have baked something I didn't like but I probably would have ate them anyway.

Back to the challenge - same as before since I didn't quite make it last time - stay within calorie goals while increasing protein and cutting out bad carbs, get in some exercise every day, log everything.

About anxiety issues - I have three sisters who all struggle with anxiety - one refuses to do anything about it and suffers terribly, one self medicates with alcohol, and the other went to a counselor and used some medicaion temporarily and now is doing fine. Her daughter is also having similar issues and she goes to the same counselor and it seems to be helping as well - just some thoughts.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,008 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go CRAZY FOR CARDIO this week. And, drink TONS of water. And eat next to nothing. I'll falsify my "final" results for my 6-month-challenge, therefore. I'll have to take photos and measurements on Friday, because I have salty restaurant food on the agenda for Friday, Saturday and Sunday....boy, this seems UBER-DESPERATE to me.

In any event, it's only 2 days until Friday. So, protein shakes and fresh salads it is! Water by the gallon! Flush, flush, flush.....and then, cross my fingers and hope for the best!

Gawd. I HATE "true confession" time....
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Beeps- I hear ya. Sometimes I loathe true confession times as well. Especially when I have no idea what I'm doing day to day and have to admit that to myself. LoL. :blushing:
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Nice goals Sas!

Abigail - I know what you mean on the carbs. I've come a long way in cutting them out! I used to eat half a bagel every morning (whole wheat but either way). Now I never eat it. Just start subbing in slowly and see where it gets you. Oh and focus on protein. It's pretty freaking hard to overeat on carbs if I am getting 145 g of protein a day, regardless of calorie level.

Beeps - one week, eh. Let's all remember that the figure athletes and models we see are actually doing what you're donig before competitions and shoots only more so. They cut weights, get all watered up, stop drinking liquids, dry feed on carbs, and then get up and say this is what I look like. So hey, no shame. You're in a competition too. Best picture I could find on this was: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages Go to the 15 vs 15...one woman is using water manipulation, one isn't.

Well, happily the scale is dropping! 3.2 lbs since Monday. I'm happy about this we all know at this point its water change due to cut calories, cardio, weekend water bloat. The true test is in a week or two or twelve. But hey, oh well. The cut is going well...I am feeling this deficit. Which honestly makes me think that its probably what I needed. I have a good amount of fat I want to lose and I want to get fat levels that I haven't ever been to before (as an adult) so this aggressive approach is probably good. This weekend will be the first big test. Followed by the 4th, but I can do it. (I think I can I think I can I think I can).

Oh found the most brilliant way ever to get my cardio in! I always hated pumping away for that long but I brought my laptop down to the gym at work and used the wifi to stream hulu...bingo. 1 episode of Friday Night Lights = my cardio done.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I should be doing what you're doing-Vegas in one week!! I am not sure I get shed the belly fat that quickly but I will try to shed the water weight! I took a water pill and am drinking the detox tea today. Being hungry sucks...
    You girls are rockin in it!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    chui - I didn't realize you were cutting....good for you and you're off to a GREAT START!

Amy - I'd rather be going to vegas than simply submitting photos, online, for a challenge I really haven't done that well at, lol.

I didn't drink enough water, today. Too many meetings and not enough bathroom-break time. Fail.
  • amysj303
    Options
    Just finished 29 burpees. Anyone else still in it?
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Amy- Sorry I am totally out of the burpee challenge. By the way you look amazing in that dress!!!!

Kate- how's the cutting going, seems like your dropping weight like crazy! I am going to read through that Leigh Peele material whenever I get a second to breath work has been so crazy busy!

Doing pretty good this week, well the past 2 days at least. Monday was out to dinner with my best friend for her bday and to celebrate her finishing nursing school and passing her boards, so we had nachos and margaritas. Have a long run scheduled for tonight. I have a feeling I am not going to set my personal record for this 5K in a few weeks. My good friend that just had a baby is running it and I think she is hoping I will stay with her at her pace, which will definitely be slower than mine. But, its ok, I'm glad to help her out and motivate her. I will keep training like I am going to run it at top speed tho. Another rough weekend coming up I know. Dinner at a Cajun fusion place tomorrow night with some out of town friends. Saturday going to a fest to see a concert. I think I am going to try to eat dinner before and then just have a few beers at the fest. Sunday should be good though.
  • chuisle
    Options
    Cutting is going well so far! I am dropping weight, 4 lbs this week. If only it was 4 lbs of fat....either way, it's going well. My body is adjusting to the caloric decrease. I'm feeling very tired. So I'm trying to get plenty of sleep and take a little easier in the workouts. I'm adding a lot of stress to my body this week increased cardio and calorie cuts so I am easing off certain aspects, like the post workout intervals and matrix for NROL. I think it should even out soon. And hey, a cuts a cut. I am trying to get rid of 12-15 lbs of fat, it's not going to be fun, right?

I have a postseason get together with my kickball team tonight. I think I am going to go get a sizable diet soda before hand and just sip on that all night to avoid beer. Simply no room for it!

Also - what's yalls recipes for turkeys muffins? I think I am going to do a cooking extravaganza after my Color Run this Saturday so I have tons of healthy food for the week. My ideas include:

Chicken Tortilla soup
    protein peanut butter cups
    turkey muffins

Other suggestions for things I can eat all week?
  • mamareese
    Options
    Kate- Water weight is good to get rid of too, so regardless of what kind of weight is is props to you. I am going in the wrong damn direction again...I'm actually up 2lbs since dropping my calories down some. It's TOM week so I'm going to hold out a bit to see what effect that has but as if being hungry was annoying enough. lol.

I use Jamie Eason's recipe for Turkey muffins. They are delicious, super easy and I freeze them so I can eat them when I feel like.

My go to premake meal right now is 1/4c cooked quinoa 10-15spears of asparagus and ground turkey. It's easy, reheats well and I can eat it from lunch or dinner.

Those egg muffins where you just throw egg whites in a muffin team and add in meat/veggies etc are good too. I prefer them with spinach, ground turkey, broccoli and a tiny bit of cheese. I tried asparagus in them and that was a no go for me!
  • chuisle
    Options
    Mama - that's true! I'm happy with water weight loss we well :) it helps I was already way high on the scale so I think it 'wanted' to come up and probably will for another 2-3 lbs. After that all bets are off!

Though something that crystallized for me over the last few weeks that I maybe 'knew' but didn't really consciously practice is that when you are in the position we are (last 10-15 lbs) you can't continually operate at a deficit and expect to just keep chugging along with weight loss. Some of you are maybe smacking your heads but I know I was doing it. After reading the LP material she makes the point that fat loss isn't an opinion - its a fact. Yet I was chasing after fat loss like it was so elusive and in the mean time potentially doing metabolic damage by chronically undereating. Now, I think my metabolism is fine but it's become clear I need to eat pretty much at maintenance unless doing a specific cut then I need to make allowances for the stress on my body. And, I shouldn't be cutting for more than 8-12 weeks. This cycle approach, as opposed to the slow and steady, feels a little bit like a revelation. Thoughts?
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Today makers day 7 without a workout!!!!! I didn't get home from work until 1:30 am, and my girls were up by 7ish. I just managed to get up and grab a cup of coffee. I need to fold laundry, then back to work for a double! 5 more weeks, then vacation and back to teaching. Hopefully I will go swimming with my kids during my break. I also need to go buy some protein shakes! I'm really afraid that I'm losing muscle.

Mama- Thanks for the premake meal ideas. I need more of those!

Chuisle- that's awesome weight loss!

Asjerven- You look beautiful in your dress. You have such skinny arms!!!! I'm sorry to say, I fell off the burpee challenge, but maybe I will start up again - so at least I'm doing SOMETHING - how many extra would I have to do to make up for like a week? LOL

Beeps- Hey, at least you haven't gained, right? I think you're doing great!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Where's the LP material, again?? I want to read it, too....and put something into practice over this summer so that I'm closer to my 2012 goal as September approaches.

I'm drinking water like MAD, today....and gonna pee it all out like a racehorse. Tomorrow is photos/measurements day and I haven't worked out AT ALL this week (trying to limit any possible "water retention" issues....and it's still TOM, so I'm a bit frightened!).

This is serious FAKE-IT-TIL-YOU-MAKE-IT time for me. Then, I'll enjoy the weekend and figure out my summer strategy come Monday. My parents arrive tonight. Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary and my husband has lots of fun stuff planned, for us. And then, Saturday we celebrate my son's birthday with my mom (whose birthday is next week, but they will have gone home by then). And, Sunday is a waterpark day with my son and his friends. So, none of these days will be "good eating" days....I'm just going to let it be.

Six months in "challenge" mode was pretty hard. If I go back into 6 more months, I'll probably need the mental break this weekend, anyway.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Now I just sound like I'm "making excuses".

I probably am....
  • amysj303
    Options
    Kate, the recipe: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm
    I think you are right about cycling, I am curious to see your results.

Beeps, you have to ask Kate for the LP material in PM-or me, I have it now too. Your weekend plans sound fun!

I have the girls coming over for Tudors tonight and I am going to make shrimp tacos and they are under 300 cals for two!
    I am going to try to be good this weekend, I don't have any plans so trying to not let it devolve into bad eating and drinking, have to be strong for few days if I want to flatten my belly...

Kc, thanks for the compliment, I told Kate I did that pose deliberately, it's a sorority-girl trick;) I have so many pics of me with arm pressed to my side and it's the closest thing to the camera and looks huge, but angled away from the camera, elbows bent, instant skinny arm!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Amy, yes, you look great! I also use that move in pics. Can we have the shrimp taco recipe? Great job on the burpees!

Kate - you are doing awesome and as usual it looks like you have thoroughly researched your plan. I'm guessing you are a type A personality..... :wink:

Beeps - You are rocking it as well. And hey, whatever you gotta do! Kate makes an excellent point about competitors doing it, and you are in a sort of competition, right?

Sasx - Nice goals.

Abigail - Good to hear from you, and you are not alone on falling off the weekend wagon.

Chloe - It looks liek you've been doing great on your workouts. Don't worry about your PR for this race; that's very considerate of you to run with your friend. There will be other races!

KC - OMG I'm worn out reading your schedule. I bet you will be ready for vacation!

Reese - It sounds like you have a great plan. Hopefully that scale will start moving for you soon! I don't see how it wouldn't!

Jen - Hope you are well.

Shander - Hope you are doing well "being good" this week too!

I think I got everyone....

I have done my best this week - 1 run, 2 days of strength, and I played golf yesterday and yes, I consider that one of my "cardio" days. The purpose of that is to keep me moving but not feeling obligated to do a super intense workout. I plan on HIIT tonight, strength tomorrow and that's probably all I will get in as we leave for the mountains tomorrow around 430. I'm taking goggles and can hopefully swim some laps at the pool; I really miss swimming. I may even do a little working out in the gym at my parents' condo place; we'll see. I do have plans for the easy hike with the family with the Bjorn and baby as well. It will all work out. I don't get back till next Tuesday night, so next week may be a little lacking too. I'm just going to do my best over the holiday and refocus when I get back. I'm excited to start a new routine. And I really like the idea of outlining something very specific and then switching it up after a month. It keeps me entertained and hopefully my body guessing. I went years simply doing 30-45 minutes steady state cardio 3-4 times a week, a yoga class, and a day of upper body and a day of lower body. And abs. They were done almost every session. So it's good to be doing seemingly more productive things.

I was up 2 pounds last week and today I was back down. I was shocked. I ate at PF Changs Tuesday (hello sodium), and had a hot dog and crappy domestic beer on the course yesterday AND ate Panera (I was sensible in my selection, but still) at about 9pm last night. I am wondering if my weight spiked last week because I had done yoga the night before I weighed for the first time in a LONG time. I googled "yoga and water retention" and found nothing really. So today was a good day. And I hope to continue to see a little more loss before I level off around 127-130 (I am at 130.5 now). Although I guess I'm less concerned with the scale and more with how I look. I still have a lot to lose around my mid section, so we'll see how that works out. I think I'm going to update measurements (if I can find the ones I took probably close to 3 months ago) and update photos.

Well, sorry for the long post. I will probably be a little scare over the next week or so. I'll be keeping up and trying to keep moving. Hope you all have a great weekend and 4th for those who celebrate it!
  • mamareese
    Options
    Though something that crystallized for me over the last few weeks that I maybe 'knew' but didn't really consciously practice is that when you are in the position we are (last 10-15 lbs) you can't continually operate at a deficit and expect to just keep chugging along with weight loss. Some of you are maybe smacking your heads but I know I was doing it. After reading the LP material she makes the point that fat loss isn't an opinion - its a fact. Yet I was chasing after fat loss like it was so elusive and in the mean time potentially doing metabolic damage by chronically undereating. Now, I think my metabolism is fine but it's become clear I need to eat pretty much at maintenance unless doing a specific cut then I need to make allowances for the stress on my body. And, I shouldn't be cutting for more than 8-12 weeks. This cycle approach, as opposed to the slow and steady, feels a little bit like a revelation. Thoughts?

I have mixed thoughts about this. Sometimes I think I fall into this category and sometimes I think, maybe I'm not really in the deficit that I think I am. Take this for example...I messaged Steve Troutman (relatively lean board) when I started revamping my intake and exercise plan. I set it up before he had a chance to get back to me and at 12 calories per pound I had set my intake to 1800. He wrote back that was the highest he would suggest. He suggested 10cal/LB and noted that sometimes he even has to have his clients dip down to 8-9 cals. At first I was like 'Sheesh! that's low'I mean 8 would put me just above 1250. And then i thought...is it that low? I mean, we measure, we log etc. but am I taking in more than I 'think' I am and setting a number that low really isn't that low because of misc. calories that I overlook or err in measuring? I don't discard what LP says because obviously she's an expert. And for a while I thought this undereating might be my issue. Now I'm not sure what I think. I'm up to 158 in today's weigh in after adhering all week, getting all my workouts in. Yes, its TOM but I was already up a couple pounds from the pre-goodness that comes along with that visit. I don't want to rehash a new plan. I just don't know what side of the fence I personally fall into.
  • mamareese
    Options
    Beeps-How is the conclusion of chugging water and cardio going? Feeling good or burnt out?

Ashley- Keep trucking along. I preach a good game when I should listen to myself. But, seriously, you are rocking it.

Amy-Stay strong this weekend! Looks like you have a good plan going into it the weekend and that helps!

I'm also on the fence because Beep's challenge had me considering looking into something like that myself to get me pushing through the summer. The other part of me thinks maybe relaxing a bit with the logging, counting, pounding it out is the way to go. I know ultimately I feel like either way I'm beating a dead horse. :laugh: Oh the trials of those dreaded last XX pounds!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I am getting the feeling of frustration and exhaustion from many of you on here this week....which is exactly where I am at. Last night I was talking to my husband, we were grilling out and I had an open bottle of wine from last weekend that had probably 3 oz left. I looked at my diary to see if I could fit it in and I said to him geez I feel like something is wrong with me. I hate that I cant just have something without analyzing my diary first. Its making me feel like I need to take some time off to just eat what I want and workout when I feel like it without a schedule. So I think my next plan will be, after I am done with Chalean in 2 weeks, is to just relax....take a long walk instead of worrying about lifting or go for a bike ride rather than worrying about my heart rate getting up high enough. We are going on vacation August 8 and come back the 12th. So I think after I am done with Chalean I am just going to "chill out" until the 13th and then start the Insanity program.

Hang in there everybody :)
  • chuisle
    Options

I have mixed thoughts about this. Sometimes I think I fall into this category and sometimes I think, maybe I'm not really in the deficit that I think I am. Take this for example...I messaged Steve Troutman (relatively lean board) when I started revamping my intake and exercise plan. I set it up before he had a chance to get back to me and at 12 calories per pound I had set my intake to 1800. He wrote back that was the highest he would suggest. He suggested 10cal/LB and noted that sometimes he even has to have his clients dip down to 8-9 cals. At first I was like 'Sheesh! that's low'I mean 8 would put me just above 1250. And then i thought...is it that low? I mean, we measure, we log etc. but am I taking in more than I 'think' I am and setting a number that low really isn't that low because of misc. calories that I overlook or err in measuring? I don't discard what LP says because obviously she's an expert. And for a while I thought this undereating might be my issue. Now I'm not sure what I think. I'm up to 158 in today's weigh in after adhering all week, getting all my workouts in. Yes, its TOM but I was already up a couple pounds from the pre-goodness that comes along with that visit. I don't want to rehash a new plan. I just don't know what side of the fence I personally fall into.

I SO get you! I get concerned to that I am not truly at the deficit I think I am. LP also says weigh and measure your food to the gram. I am not ready for that (yet) but I get where she's coming from. I think 1250 calories to live off for a long time is low generally but honestly, on rest weeks (recovery only) I will only be at 1330 cals...I think we have the right idea when we say "eat more" but I think we're fooling ourselves if we think we're going to drop lots of fat doing that? I am beginning to feel like moderate cuts are better for regaining a body fat level (Like Jen, who goes up but can swoop right back down to the low 20s). I know you already feel bloated but honestly 2 weeks of maintenance worked wonders for me and prepared me to really cut (2050 cals to 1450 was a shock and I think that's why my body is responding as it should so thus). Just a suggestion...

So here's my take away (right now, anyways): You should eat. You shouldn't eat less than 20% your TDEE for an extended period (6 months say). When you are lean you should take breaks, eat at maintenance. When you want to cut, you need to eat less, a lot less. You also need to take care of your body during this process - I am realizing that my weight advancement is going to be affected and I shouldn't always just "push through".

Further thoughts on this? I love getting you ladies opinons because you're in the same place I am, getting information and I like bouncing these idea off you!

Chloe - I think that taking is break is very healthy! I go through the same phases. Right now I feel empowered logging all my food to a T. But, sometimes, it drives me nut and I just want to live life! I started MFP thinking I would do it for 2 weeks to get my eating under control. Whelp. 1.5 years I am still logging because I need it AND I like it. But your well being and just life needs to come first...if not, what else are we doing this for???

And Ashley, yes, I'm type A...I think most of us are on this thread :) I think I said it before but I am literally a professional researcher. Beyond data analysis (hence my charts on TOP of mfp) one of the things I get paid to do is tell really smart people what they should know about certain topic. Sounds like you have a good plan for the next few weeks...and scale, it's nuts what happens.

Thanks for the recipe Amy! Going grocery shopping tonight!

oh and HAPPY FRIDAY.