2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Amy- I want to read that article....I started last night and then I realized it was too long for me to stay focused on it, I was exhausted.

Mama- I find the low carb thing works better for me too, which I don't have a problem giving up bread, rice, pasta.....my issue is fruit, especially in the summer

I am back to logging starting today. Although today and tomorrow may not be as good as I had originally planned. I have a fundraiser to go to tonight, so I am sure I will have a couple cocktails. And my mom's bday is tomorrow so I think we are going out for dinner or doing pizza at my grandma's. But, I have my calories set to my TDEE minus 500. So I will not be logging exercise cals and I will probably be under throughout the week and save my extra cals for cocktails or a splurge meal on the weekend. This is my last week of Chalean and I am going to start Insanity on Monday (a little nervous about that one). I had a pretty good "rest" week. I didn't eat that bad at all and got in all my workouts.

My 2 week challenge:

1) stay within calorie range for the week
    2) finish up Chalean this week and get in 3 5K runs, my race is next Thursday
    3) start strong with Insanity next week
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Hey chicks. I too tried to read Amy's article and got about halfway through and decided I'd read it today during lunch. But it seems to be a good one. Amy, glad you had fun and I hope you find some focus. Reese, I'm glad you're seeing the pounds come off!

I'm liking my setting a specific workout schedule weekly to follow for a whole month and then switching it up. So, this month, mine looks like this:

1. HIIT 1 day
    (I "designed" my new routine; it looks like this: pendulum squats, side plank series (dip middle, rotate , lift leg), high jump kick, woodchopper with kettlebell, Russian kicks - 30 second work, 30 second rest, 5x. I am still sore from Woodchoppers! Thanks Beeps.)
    2. Kettlebell video; its about 25 minutes I think - 2x
    3. Run 2x (2-3 miles)
    4. 1 yoga class

I don't have any food related goals really, just again to keep my drinking in check, which I did very well with this weekend, therefore my food looked good and I feel fine today other than being sleepy from a baby that isn't sleeping very well. (She was sick over the weekend so has been waking up a lot lately. Last night was "only" three times.) Anyways, I only had 1 drink Friday night and I think I had about 5-6 drinks Saturday, but that was over a long time; I had my first beer around 2:00. I had a nice mellow buzz but didn't overdo it and felt fine the next day and was able to be productive.

I'm pumped to start my new routine! I'm also going to post a series of progress pics and measurements later today; stay tuned! I took measurements over the weekend and have lost 7.5"! The last time I took measurements was about 3.5 months ago. And I'm glad I did because 7.5" makes me feel good. Granted my measurements were taken at 7.5 weeks post partum, but I'm glad to know that my body is changing.

I hope you all have a good week!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree with the article. LoL. Shall I expound on that? :wink:

1) Progression- This is the one HUGE take away that I got after reading NROLFW. Even if it's one set, one exercise, one ANYTHING...every work should have some progression. In the beginning, (last summer because Lord knows I can't remember any of the weight training I did in college!! Damn Memory!) I was only worried about ticking off what was listed in my book and getting it marked off. I figured if I was doing what the paper said, I was doing it right. Nope, after reading NROL I realized that that paper is an outline, a generic reference for what has to be done. MORE can be done in terms of upping weights, changing reps as indicated in that article. And I'm glad I saw this because I was thinking about it this weekend. I can 'easily' do cable rows at 75lbs/12 but my workout calls for 12 reps...the next up is 90 or to add a 5lb marker to this. but even with that 5lbs I have trouble getting all 12 in. So what if it's 80lb/12, 80/11, and then 80lb/10? At least that's the vibe I'm getting from the article. The progression is more important than completing the set amount since I already know my body can handle the prescribed #. I'm down with trying that!

2) Your body split sucks. This (chest, leg, back, etc) was my issue with some of the set ups. We've talked about the full body routines and even I noted I was going against what I'd thought I'd read with my current program. However, mine is upper/lower. Which seems to be more solid than the previously mentioned. This makes me happy because, although I'm 100% in agreement with full body circuits- they were killing my runs. My legs were always dead come run time. I have my upper days followed my a longer run, lower days I can either get in some stair intervals or a HIIT before my legs are toast. I like this change up and it works for me trying to progress my runs. I enjoyed this part. :tongue:

3) Exercise selection sucks- Yep, until NROL and the conversations we've had here...I would bicep curl myself into oblivion. LoL. Do I do them still? Absolutely. But do I make sure they are lesser in comparison to the amount of compound moves. Absolutely! I am in love with squats and dead lifts without a doubt!

4) Rest...we know we know...we don't want to listen but we know it's true!!

5) Your consistency and patience sucks- this is me. LoL. I don't want to admit it but it is. Tied in with the last note in the article about diet. I think consistency is #1 for me because if I'm feeling consistent in what I'm doing than my patience seems to fall into place a little more easily. Because I know in my mind I'm on the right track, so I know there has to be some improvements to come.

Amy- appreciated that article. As you can see since I just long winded my response!! :laugh:
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Lots of great long posts and I want to respond to them...

Ashely - that sort of self retrospection is really important to progress! I would probably guess that you were both miss-estimating some burns/calories and that as the deficit continued your body started compensating - not 'losing' according to the deficit. It makes sense when you think about it - your body wants to lose weight after pregnancy but probably didn't before when you were comfortably settled. It's great you're at pre baby weight and you've clearly learned a lot about what works (like Beeps said). Keep on keeping on! You'll find the sweet spot when things have settled down again, especially with all your new knowledge!

Beeps - woo hoo on stage 7! I think it's going to be a real 'gut buster' so to speak :) I'm glad you see your progress. It can be SO hard! But it's also important to see something to keep going! Also - on the soreness I was BARELY ABLE TO MOVE yesterday. Yelps of pain were audible multiple times. I think it was a combination of not doing a proper recovery and then drinking for almost 12 hours after. At the bar on Saturday night (the 11th bar after a 10 bar crawl starting at 2pm) I actually felt the sensation of my muscles getting sore as it was happening. That being said, I never skip workouts for soreness even when I am stiff. I just warm up a bit extra and by the 2nd lift or so I am okay.

And on the step ups - better to do it right and decrease some difficulty than to do it poorly. You listened to your body! That's good. AND it's not like that's the last and only you get a shot...you'll do the workout again and do better. Your body needs to adjust to the circuit style anyways. It's a big change!

Mama - First, I know what you mean about strict strict crumble. Sadly, that was this last few days for me...I just was not pulling it together! Sounds like you had a nice healthy 4th though! On the carbs - I hear you. When I carb binge I bloat up like crazy! I am up so much weight today from carb city over the weekend I don't even want to say the number. And yes and yes and yes on all those lessons.

Amy - I liked that article. I actually sent it to my boyfriend when it was posted ( I saw other friends on here discussing it) and he changed his workout because of it! Woo hoo! I always have to refrain from telling him some his efforts are dumb because I don't think he would take it well from me (even though I have a lower body fat level than him, in absolute terms, despite the fact he's a guy but I digress).

Chloe - sounds like your cal plan is a good one! Glad you were able to take a successful break from logging - it helps me every once in a while!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,005 Member
    Options
    I read that article, too.....and, I actually liked ALL 8 REASONS that my weight-training SUCKS. It speaks volumes, to me.

Amy - I'm glad you had a good time in Las Vegas. And, I hope you can figure out what "goals" you'd like to set for the next little while - changing things up is GOOD.

mama - you're doing really well - so, keep it up! I'm glad to read that split sets are working for you....great!

Chloe - sounds like you have a "plan". That's always a good place to start!

Better - I'm glad you are into measuring, now. Photos/measurements are a really good "take-away", I think.
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the exercise split. I prefer a full body workout over a split. I feel like I am accomplishing more in a shorter time. As far as rest, I can still do cardio on my rest days, right? When I go back to work and get back into a regular workout routine, I like to do cardio 3 days a week (leaving 1 actual rest day). I feel better for sooo many reasons when I work out.

I went to a BBQ/pool party on the 4th (before going to work) and i noticed my booty - my pride and joy :wink: - was not feeling out my bathing suit!!! So, I've been doing a variety of squats and lunges throughout the day, when I can find time. It's helping. Can someone suggest your favorite arm exercises, for max results, that I can fit into my busy schedule? I go on vacation in 3 weeks and then I go back to my day job.

Mama- did you lower your calories to 1550 instead of 1800? What brought on that change?

Beeps- did I tell you congrats for completing your 6 month challenge? No one knows your number. I have a girlfriend who says she weighs 5 pounds more then me, about the same height, and she wears an 8, I wear a 4. I lift, she doesn't.

Better- I love your HIIT and want to try it out. Your doing amazing at weight loss and being a new mama! It's a balancing act for sure!

Chloe - I think it's easier to look at the week rather than a day. It gives you more freedom and less guilt!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    chui - I think I was typing while you were posting....I'm glad to read I wasn't the only one in "yelp hell" this weekend. My IT band was KILLER. (Still is.)

I think I cannot weight-train today....I'm still too sore. Which is a bummer. But, I'm REALLY trying to focus more on the "rest" aspect - and getting in GOOD lifting sessions, when I can. Like mama said, "progression" is key. So, getting to the gym and only doing it half-assed, because I'm so sore, doesn't really sound like "pro"-gression - more like "re"-gression.

I'll think about it until lunch and then figure it out. It's gonna be 34 outside, today, and a lovely walk in the summer sun doesn't sound like too bad a deal.

My goals for the next 2 weeks:

1. Limit alcohol and carbs - This weekend was a DOOZY - and I felt like crap for most of it. So, I just want to get back to feeling good and enjoying all this great summer weather (rather than lying limp and in pain and hung-over).
    2. Get in as many weight-training sessions as I can. I wanted to move back to 3 x per week....my body is kind of suggesting this is TOO MUCH (in Stage 7 - it's just tough, tough, TOUGH, on MY BODY).
    3. Try and get a walk in every night.
  • chuisle
    Options
    Forgot to post about me....

Well, I was on vacation for the 4th 5th and 6th complete with parties and concerts and a bar crawl. I knew it was going to be hell on my cut and I was right. I did go back and log W-F pretty well. The results were sobering but that didn't stop me for Saturday and Sunday craziness. The positives are that I did try to mitigate some damage (vodka waters with a squeeze of lemon in a pint glass all crawl kept me relatively low cal and hydrated - it's a great summer drink) and I only missed 1 cardio and 2 recovery work outs last week. I started stage 6 and really rocked my body but LOVED I was only lifting 30 minutes. I am excited to move on that.

But I feel like I erased the great job I did week 1. I had 2 just plain bad days and 3 relatively bad but not the worst days. I drank too much, didn't get enough protein and ate way too many carbs and fat. What's worse is that I felt very freaked out at times and out of control. It's not that I binged - I ate probably what I would under the circumstances but I knew I wasn't sticking with my cut and it made me anxious but not enough I got it together.

So I am picking myself up and for the rest of this cut I need do a few things:

- exercise real control over what I choose to eat. Don't munch on a cookie. It's not freaking worth it. Eat cookies after September 14th. Drink 1 per week. (Maybe 2 if there is a special occasion). Have 1 cheat meal. BE SMART.
    - be REALISTIC! I set myself up for failure by not clearly defining what I thought was and wasn't okay on my 'vacation' at home. So I was anxious I wasn't following my plan yet I hadn't made a good plan for those days.

For the next week weeks I am:

Sticking with my cut macros and cals which includes one more week as is and then a rest week. This week I have 1 cheat meal/evening for charity Friday. I have a drinking event on Thursday (post kickball season party). My solution is a 3-4 beer limit and 20 minutes extra cardio. It's not perfect but it is * Realistic*
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Wow! Lots of great info. I was just scanning over everyone's posts and I am definitely going to have to take some time when I can read them more thoroughly and check out some of the articles.

Last week's performances went really well and I am finally getting a handle on my eating habits and am lifting more regularly now - yeah! We did not have any rain as was predicted which was awesome. The only problem was that the stage was black and the front part that was directly in the sun was burning hot - and the style was modern dance which means bare feet - ouch! It was a very painful 6 1/2 minutes, but it's over now. Boy, I wanted to stick my feet in a bucket of ice when I was done. Saturday's weather was much kinder and we got a bigger stage so that was cool.

Anyways - 2 week challenge - get more protein (haven't been reaching my goals lately) , get in some yoga in addition to strength & cardio (very tight muscles & low flexibility)

Have a great week!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think I tweaked my back, so I am planning to do some core exercises this week while I think about my plan for the next 5 weeks. I am thinking that will be 2 days of strength training and three days of running. I am just not sure if the strength training should be more body-weight circuits or more compound heavy lifting. Or maybe the running days should include intervals, like push ups and such?
    Kate, is there something that happens on September 14? If you said, I can't remember.
    I want to try a really serious cut before halloween, I think this year I will do the mermaid costume so having my belly revealed will mean I will have a lot of incentive to push it into high gear. I just have to find a good costume party to attend...
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Looks like everyone has good goals for the week.

I hope those that are hurting - soreness, hot feet, or tweaked back - feel better. :smile: Kate, I think your "being realistic" approach is a good one. Why set yourself up for failure if you know you're going to have a few beers at kickball? KC, chest presses (incline or flat) are a good compound upper body movement. I also love dumbell pullovers.

I got a great run in last night. I was disapointed because I wanted to go alone but my husband was working the yard so I took the stroller and baby and ended up having a great run: 3.2 miles at a 5.6mph pace. That's pretty good for me. I was feeling it in my legs all night and still today. Good stuff. I'm planning on a yoga class tonight.

I posted this progress post yesterday but deleted it from the feed because my pics were all screwed up so I don't think many people saw it, but in case anyone is interested, I have a bunch of before and afters.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/661533-my-journey-including-a-pregnancy

Have a great day all.
  • mamareese
    Options
    Amy- Hope that back is feeling better. I'd offer some advice...but I'm still trying to figure out what works on this end. LoL. So I don't want to throw out my 'advice' and have it backfire on you! Find a cute costume and post that baby somewhere you can see it. I took a note from the 'thermometer jeans' (though I suck at updating on that) and have a pair of shorts hanging in my closet. My mom had bought them for me but they are WAY too tight. Ridiculously too tight. So instead of returning them, she said hang 'em up and use them as incentive. Which is exactly what I did. Hopefully it's incentive enough to keep pushing!

Ashley- Awesome progress! Be proud! You are 'bouncing back' as they say so fast! Great work. You were soooo cute pregnant! (you are cute now too!! :wink: ) but you just look so happy and glowing in your pregnancy photo! Keep working those routines you set up, they are definitely doing good things for your body!

Abigal- Glad the show went well! ouch on the feet yowsers! Glad it was fun!

Kate- Pull a Jay-Z dust your shoulders off (coming from a 30 year old that doesn't sound as cool as I intended!) and get back to that cut. You know exactly what to do and you did AMAZING that first week of the cut. Yep, those days happened. It's done. And your back on track. Realistic is a good goal, and an excellent goal for busy woman! Good luck!

Beeps- Ya for Stage 7! That's awesome! I love the idea of evening walks...there's something not only good about it for your body, but for your mind too. I miss them! DH and I used to take them at night before we had kids. It was a good way to relax and catch up. With the kids, it's a little hit and miss since one would prefer to be towed in a wagon and the other a scooter. LoL. But none the less, fresh air is good for the soul!!

I killed the legs today. Wanted to hit snooze and go back to bed. With the new sitter coming to the house vs. old sitter = traveling 30 minutes out of the way to get the kids to her, I have WAY too much extra time in the morning. It just equates to me wanting to sleep in instead of be productive! But, I got up- got it done and feel amazing because of it. Definitely will be loving my foam roller tonight. :love:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I didn't get my walk in last night. Oh well - I felt pretty guilty, but today is a new day!

I *have* to go to the gym. I'm still pretty nervous, since my IT band is STILL screaming at me. But, my upper body DOES want to work. I have to get through 6 -8 deadlifts (2 sets) and then 60 each (split into 4 sets of 15) of lunges (each leg), DB bent-over rows, push-ups and MORE deadlifts. These circuit routines REALLY scare me. Set 1, no problem. Set 2, starting to feel it. Set 3, breaking down. Set 4, trying not to cry and have to take LONGER rests.

UGH. I'm supposed to LOVE this, but I mostly DREAD this, actually.

and, then, heck ya, I have to ROLL.

Company coming for dinner....but I hope to drag them out for a walk, too....
  • chuisle
    Options
    So I did measurements and photos today (LP suggests every two weeks) and I either lost or stayed the same everywhere with a total loss of just over 6 inches (over 10 spots - the losses were mostly less than 1 inch or even 1/2 inch). The photos don't seem to show any change but that's okay, I am happy to see an inch loss despite my bad few days and ready to make the next measurement even more successful!

Beeps, hopefully a good warm up is all you need. Plus, you can always take it easy. If at the end you feel its been too easy then you know for next time.

Amy - I hope your back feels better.

Reese - love using the foam roller at my gym...I might have to buy one!

Ashley -
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Stage 7 continues to be a bugaboo....straight-legged romanian deadlifts, um - H-A-R-D. Lunges, well, they SUCKED (given IT band soreness). My push-ups continue to disappoint me....so, what's left to love?? Oh, yes, the bent-over DB row - well THAT I did WELL.

I ROLLED and ROLLED and ROLLED until tears were coming out of my eyes. Oh, and I popped in 2 x 60s planks (feet on bench) and 2 x 30s cobras.

It's over. I'm relieved. Tonight - I SLEEP.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    chui - congrats on the reduced measurements - I don't know whether to laugh or cry! In 2 weeks, you've managed to do what it took me 6 months. blech.
  • chuisle
    Options
    Beeps - remember I was a bit 'bigger' when I started. So I didn't go from my leanest to leaner, I went from less lean to closer to my leanest. This is a really important distinction to make. I wasn't forging new ground with that loss, just going back over trodden territory.
  • mamareese
    Options
    Kate- Great job. Every 2 weeks. Good thoughts. I haven't even remembered to do my initial for one I started this program. Yikes. I'll be working off February numbers unless I get my butt in gear and get it done. Excellent job and way to get back in action this week.

Beeps- I'm with Kate. If after the workout you have gas in the tank, you know for next time. I know working in this deficit the cardios are coming by less and less ambitiously. I think I'm pumped enough for the weights but with mentally loathing cardio and then less calories-I feel like I'm starting out at 50% for those workouts.

I know it's only Wednesday but I'm definitely dragging butt today. Yikes. We have a carnival to attend for the kids and DH is playing in volleyball tournament this weekend which means Momma wrangles children solo (aka: I'll be whooped by the end of the weekend). Looks like I better get in a good few workouts the rest of the week because who knows what this weekend will bring! The eats- I'll handle but getting in 2 workouts with the kids...that can take some modifications!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words Reese!

Beeps, your workout sounds.....horrendous? I hope you got rest.

Kate, those measurements are great! But I hear ya on your reasoning. I like measurements and I do not like them. I like them because i think they are a good way of showing progress long term. I took my most recent 2.5 months apart and showed a loss of 8.5" over 9 areas. I had big losses in my legs, which I was surprised by. And also my midsection which I wasn't surprised by. What I don't like about them is bloat can affect a measurement as well as inconsistency in location measurements were taken. If I was measuring every 2 weeks I think I'd drive myself nuts becaue i feel that they would be up and down and up and down. So I hope you conitnue to see great numbers!

I went to yoga last night. I'm going to a new studio 1 mile from my house, so I went all granola and rode my bike there and then received a private lesson since no one else showed up. I hope the studio stays open because I have 3 more classes to use and she's running a special of 10 classes for $30. Anyways, it was harder than last class and felt SOOOO good. I really need that in my life and I'm glad its back. Then I came home and went to the neighbor's and ate smoked bone in chicken breast (2.5 of them) and drank beer instead of water. I peeked at the scale this morning and am where I was last week, but a pound up from where I was on Monday (post run in the early evening). I don't know why I've been obsessed with the scale this week. I typically am a once a week weigher. Oh well.

Kettlebells tonight. I hope. My kid has been up every night since we've been back from NC (excpet one night) at midnight, 3 and 5am. I'm beat.
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Kate - congrats on the measurements, your hard work is paying off

Beeps - your workouts always seem so killer - I don't know how you do the roller thing. It is so painful I can't stand to do it.

Ashley - glad to hear about your yoga experieince, I hope that more people come so you don't risk losing out. I have been doing yoga DVD's at home since I have not found a place with a schedule or price that works for me yet. I also recently tried out working with kettlebells. It was a little awkward at first, but I like doing something different.

I just realized it has been awhile since I have logged my food - considering I am trying to increase protein intake I should get back into that practice so I can track my progress.