2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    Great post from Steve - it reminded me of all of us! http://body-improvements.com/2012/07/16/fitness-that-fits-you/

This article was great. While I am rigid in some respect (with my dry erase board with my workouts on them) I have learned to take it easy on myself if I don't hit every workout. I have only checked off all of my boxes once in the last 1.5-2 months, but I feel good about the ones I check off and it helps to keep me focused. I actually do have little free time on days I work. Last night had I not done my workout as soon as I had gotten home, there's no way it would have happened post baby playing, bathing, feeding, bottle making, dinner making, lunch prep, shower, eating dinner, and finally vegging for about an hour and a half prior to bed. And I need that veg time. I don't want to be one of those "kids change EVERYTHING" people, but free time is one thing she has changed for me. No problem. I just adjust, like Steve said. And I actually love that my workouts are now 30 minutes instead of 90 minutes now.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Oops the 5 lbs loss was for Reese! Added it later and put it under the wrong person!

I LOVED his point that motivation for success if fueled by consistency. I definitely like the rigidity in programs and like to do them as directed. BUT that's not reality every day so I think he makes a great point about all or nothing
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    ...I was gonna ask you ladies about "how is the burpee challenge coming"???

(Amy, I already have your answer!)
  • abigail1977
    abigail1977 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Jen - good to have you back!

Kate - I love that dress, you look awesome & I love your posts and you are not weird about your daydreaming about bodyfat - okay maybe you are - but so aren't we.

Ashley - love your goals & you are doing so well at getting your workouts in even around all the baby stuff. It took me a lot longer after having my little ones to start getting serious about losing weight and getting in shape. By the way, I am also getting a cavity filled - tomorrow. Not fun. I have bad teeth and tend to need a lot of work and unfortunately the novacaine almost never works and they have to give me multiple shots every time so the numbness lasts way longer and it didn't even really help.

I have not been able to run because of the heat lately and work has kept me from the gym for lifting weights - the only thing I have been able to do is crank the AC in my family room and pop in some workout DVD's. I don't really like to do them, but it will have to do for now.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Ashley - love your goals & you are doing so well at getting your workouts in even around all the baby stuff. It took me a lot longer after having my little ones to start getting serious about losing weight and getting in shape. By the way, I am also getting a cavity filled - tomorrow. Not fun. I have bad teeth and tend to need a lot of work and unfortunately the novacaine almost never works and they have to give me multiple shots every time so the numbness lasts way longer and it didn't even really help.

Funny....they had to give me 3 shots of novocaine yesterday, including one in my gum. It still hurts. But, I got some strength in anyways. It wasn't my best effort, but I did it nonetheless and then had every intention of taking it easy as my husband was helping a friend rip carpet out and I had the house to myself after the baby went down, but I ended up cleaning and getting ready for our company and didn't really sit down till about 9:15. Wah. Tonight is yoga if we don't have to partake in a family dinner. I'm also trying a Pure Barre class with my friend whose coming in town Friday. She teaches The Daily Method in St. Louis and wants to check out the class here so I'm looking forward to that.

Kate, I agree with the consistency aspect of the article too. As long as we are mostly consistent, I think we'll see results.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    ...I was gonna ask you ladies about "how is the burpee challenge coming"???

(Amy, I already have your answer!)

Ha! Oh well, it was a good run while it lasted! :smile:
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of Insanity yesterday....Cardio Plyometrics. I am sore in the weirdest places, like the inside of my knee, my lower leg right below the calf and my inner thighs are on fire! Keeping strong with the diet and have the plan to stay the same today. Have Insanity tonight (power and resistance) and then my 5K is tomorrow. Hopefully some of this soreness subsides by then.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Chloe-plyo sounds like a challenge! way to stay strong and good luck at the 5k.
    I just signed up to run a 5k with some friends it is in the dark, called the firefly run, they give you LEDs and glow-in-the dark things to wear. should be fun.
    And Ashley, let me know how you like Pure Barre, I have wanted to try it!
    I ended up doing a pilates video instead of strength last night. Jogging tonight. I am doing couch to 5k again but starting with week 6.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all. It's a good old 90+ degrees here in PA today. Really need to utilize my work breaks for walks outside, but somehow I can't manage to get myself out there knowing I'll be sweating in my dress pants the rest of the day! :laugh:

Amy- Pilates can be a heck of a workout. And your comment about the run reminds me I haven't run much in the past 2 weeks (slacker, lol) I was going to sign up for a 5k but now we are playing in a volleyball tournament this weekend (way more enjoyable for me!!). The firefly run sounds awesome!!!

Chloe- Like I said earlier, I love your Insanity posts! Keep 'em coming. I know I've made my point about my love/hate relationship with Shaun T. But keep "BRINGING IT" and you'll love the results.

Abigal-I hear you! Do what you have to do! Moving is moving. And I'm all for any kind of movement whether it's the gym or DVDS. I like the combo of both!!

Kate-How's the cut coming?

Beeps- What about the lift session?

I have to say that going with LP's macros is making me happy. :laugh: Anything that allows me to have one serving of quiona a day keeps me sane!! I had to indulge in rye bread this morning at Mom's house but it too fit in my macros with smart choices everywhere else. So I don't mind the calorie cut as much this way. I think this rotation is 4 weeks (right Kate?). And I'm good with that. My calories are pretty low for me (1500) but that's what a cut is right? :wink: And with the ability to add in small doses of carbs to meet my macros, I'm feeling a lot better physically. I think this was a good choice. I want to say who cares what the scale says but I'm sure I'll be back b*tching about that this weekend. :noway: Because I'm sure the added carbs will cause a jump. But what-ev, we are zoning in on that diet and keeping it real. And by real I mean the scale is a lying POC!! :laugh:
  • chuisle
    Options
    Edit: just decided to write out macro since it sounds complicated

Cut is going well so far! This is my fourth week - rest week. Getting in a recovery session tonight. These macros for this week are TOUGH but it's all about the end goal.

Outline of LP cut:
    Weeks 1-3: 40% protein, 35% carb, 25% fat. 4 days lifting (I'm doing 3 since I am doing NROL style), 3 days cardio at 70% MHR for 40 minutes, 4+ recovery sessions. 35% deficit from TDEE
    Week 4: 50% protein, 20% carb, 30% fat. 4+ recovery. 40% deficit
    Week 5-8: 35% protein, 40% carb, 25% fat. 4 days lifting (3 for me), 3 days intervals cardio for 40 minutes, 4+ recovery sessions. 30% deficit
    Week 9: 30% protein, 50% carb, 20% fat. 4+ recovery. 35% deficit
    Weeks 10-12: 50% protein, 20% carb, 30% 4 days lifting (3 for me), up to 2 60 minute walks per day, 4+ recovery. 40% deficit

Her weights program also varies at bit - at the end it is very circuit based so the whole thing will line up with me finishing NROL very nicely.

My new scale should come today. I am hoping it gives me happy news but am mostly just looking forward to one that is reliable :)
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    I've been using the same scale for probably close to 10 years now. I actually bought one that weighs to the 0.1 lb (mine weighs only to the 0.5 pound) about 3 years ago but it weighed me 3 pounds heavier than my scale I've been using most of my adult life, so I sold it on Craigslist. I hope my scale never craps out because I don't want to "gain" 3 pounds overnight. :embarassed:
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    OMG...I wrote a post yesterday, right after Beeps asking about the burpees and I don't see it!! That was yesterday!! I can't remember what I said...CRAP! :grumble:

Well, on to today's posts :tongue:

Kate - gorgeous in that dress and thank you for the outline on your cut!!! Looks like you've got things all in perspective and you are ready to kill that fat!!

Amy - Exciting about the 5k! Sounds like fun. I'm thinking about signing up for the Glow Run to help me prep my running for the Mudzilla (lots of hills...it's at a ski resort!!) You plan looks great!

Chloe - great job! Plyo is so tough! Keep it up Lol,I am sore on the outside of behind my knee from something I did Monday!! I thought that was awkward!

Ashley - your noodles sound delish!! You and I ARE foodies, lol!!

Mama - I'm glad the LP plan is working out for you!! I need to take a serious look at it. I'm just not so good at following plans written out for me :ohwell: I'm so "fly by the seat of my pants"!! And you comment about the scale being a POC, I couldn't agree more :laugh:

Abigail - I agree with mama - whatever gets you moving! Good for you!!

Update - carbs were so close yesterday, 93 grams, but I stayed under 100. I've gotten in weights 2 days, but only counting as 1 because it was a split, 3 classes and did HIIT today. Loving trying new recipes and so far all is good!! GLad to see everyone moving forward!! We so got this!! :glasses:
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hey lovely ladies! I've been very MIA lately, I'm sorry! I had a vacation last weekend and got back to work and am deep into a project that needs to be done ASAP! I haven't gotten the chance to look over the whole thread, but by a quick glance you guys all seem like you're doing well! I promise I'll catch up soon though!

I'm in a rut again, but I'll get myself out of it. After this week things should calm down again (I think) and I'll be able to work out regularly again and avoid all the snacks! I have wine night tonight, so that will be a splurge.. but from what I heard of the menu, I might only be eating the salad and dessert! (Shrimp & pork are the other dishes.. unless they come through with a veggie dish for me) I miss you all though and can't wait to read what you all have been up to!!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    I bailed on yoga last night.. Class started at 6; I got home at 5:30; husband and baby were still not home by 5:40 and I decided I didn't want to have to wait till 7:00 to see my kiddo. I was kind of gung ho on getting back into yoga, but I'm having a hard time dedicating 1 hour of the 3 hours or less of awake time I get to spend with my kid after work days. Soooo....I'm not going to by a 10 class card and it looks like yoga will have to wait. That's okay, it will be there when I'm ready.

I'm also just not that excited about my workouts lately. I was talking to a guy I work with yesterday about my current "program". He is a machine; he just turned 50 (you would never guess it), runs 2 miles every morning and then does Insanity during lunch. Anyways, I was telling him of what I've been doing and he basically (in a nice way) told me I'm doing way too many random things and I should focus more on a couple things. I think he's right. Last month I was lifting 3 days a week, running 2 and doing HIIT once. This month my plan is 5 different exercises. I think I'm doing too much and not sure my body is benefiting from it. So not sure how the rest of the month will pan out. I may focus on running and HIIT or strength and running.....or maybe I'll just wing it and do what I feel like doing and aim for 4 days a week workouts and walking,etc. on the weekends. I guess I'm in kind of a rut too. I've also thought about doing 6 week 6 pack next month to try to get my abs into shape because I'm just really not working them that much. I also considered 2-3 days a week getting on the mill and running a mile as fast as I can and then doing ab work after and lifting 2 other days. I just don't know. And so I'm rambling to get it all out of my head. What do you all think? See, here I go with my exercise ADD again......Help!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Insanity Cardio Resistance last night.......HOLY pushups is all I have to say about that one! I suck at push ups anyways, but that was just ridiculous. I am trying to just do as many as I can on my toes and not even go to my knees, but by the end of it I thought my arms were going to collapse. No Insanity today, I have my 5K this evening and the Insanity Cardio Recovery tomorrow morning, which I am sure I will need!!! Sticking with the diet very well so far this week. But, its almost the weekend and that is always the challenge!

Shander- welcome back we have missed you!

Jen-great job on hitting those carb goals, I am finding it easier now that I am a few days in

Ashley- yea I would definitely never get rid of that scale if I were you!

Kate- 20% carbs would be rough, I'm sure I could do it for a week though, but it would be hard thats for sure!

Mama- I hope I get some great results from Insanity, being only 3 days in I don't see how I couldn't as long as I stick with the program. How did you do with all the pushups?
  • chuisle
    Options
    Welcome back, Shannon! Glad you had a good vacation and I'm sure you'll get back into things just fine! Oh, how was seeing those friends you hadn't in a long time? (this was a while back...sorry!)

Ashley - your friend has an excellent point. To figure out what you want to do I think you need to decide what your top goal is. You probably have multiple but I would pick one you really want to focus on. Then you can build your workout around that.

Chloe - way to go on the toe push ups! So many women just do them on their knees nstead of pushing to do it the 'real' way (with little benefit to themselves). Sounds like you are ROCKING insanity. It's a tough program so give yourself a pat on the back! Oh, I thought of you this morning when I looked at my log and found I've been under on sugar all week! Then looking back over the cut I've been under more often too. That's always a tough number to get and when I have a clean diary I think of you :)

New scale made me happy - down some more. I weighed on both together and the old scale was higher. I am definitely craving some carbs but I want to keep today good eating wise, allow myself some beers tonight, then I have a work lunch and the camping all weekend planned out! I can finish out this week strong, get back to my workouts and eat a little more!
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Chloe- I went with your approach. I SUCK SUCK SUCK @ pushups. No matter how much I try to improve, I just plain suck at them. (which is why I try to keep them in my workouts because...we all know if it's hard, we have to keep working at it!) But yep, I approached it as you did. Doing it 'his way' for as many as I could. If I needed a breather, I'd take it and then jump right back in. By the end it was better (and def. better at them then than I am now...) but it was always still a struggle for me. Heck that warrior stretch where you rotate your torso...maintained as a pain in my butt throughout! With your diet, I can't imagine you won't get great results. I did 'well' with my diet then but it was a lot more processed food and just worrying about calories in. Your clean eating and the program should match up really well!!

Shander- Glad you are back, a busy girl but back none the less! Get that project done and I'm sure you'll feel like you are ready to tackle your goals!!

Better- I hear you on the 'randomness'. I guess that's why I have a hard time of steering off the course of pre-packaged plans. I do it, when I just need to step out of the rigidity but at the same time I never feel like I'm knowledgeable enough when making choices. I think, bottomline, you are knocking out a great amount of exercise, your body will benefit from that no doubt. But I understand what he's saying about picking and tackling.

Jen- Great job! Back in action 100% that's awesome! I've got a HIIT planned tomorrow that might kill me. It's only 30/30 of sprinting and resting @ 8 level but I've been doing the steady state stuff more often than not with Turbo Fire's HIIT as my go to HIIT workout. This might leave me in a puddle (but that's the point right?!)

Kate-Thanks for the reminder. Last night was a bomb. Not terrible but definitely over my cut for LPs #. Got it back in action today. Yes, I think the 50% protein might turn us into chickens though. Or...maybe a protein shake. Either way, I think I'll be in the kitchen ALOT those weeks!!

Well for me, yesterday I went off course. Mom had planned Beef on Weck (kaiser rolls) with Mac-n-cheese. I thought no biggie plan ahead...I'll eat 1/2 roll with the beef, skip the mac-n-cheese, and grab a veggie. Then family stopped over to visit, we all sat down to eat and I forgot all about my plan and just ate. 1 roll with beef, some mac-n-cheese (really more carbs?!) and THEN my mom brings out cupcakes...ugh. I tried to avoid but ended up giving in. They were delicious, but not worth it. I suck at eating right 100% at my parents. And guess where I'm spending the weekend? Yep, my parents. LoL. I'll be busy with a volleyball tournament which means I'll prepack all of DH & my food for the tournament. So as long as I can avoid the smores for the night's campfire. I'll be on track. Cheating with a cupcake of all things..lol.

I did bang out one hell of a legs workout today. The trip downstairs after my shower involved lots of 'ohs' and 'ahs'. I've been procrastinating with taking measurements and pictures for literally 3 weeks now. I've just got to resolve to do it. It's the week before TOM and I hate the thoughts of it. But I need a marker to look back on before I close out my gym membership. I did pick up a used copy of Chalean Extreme and Supreme 90 for when I'm back to home workouts. Not sure what I'll start with but I've got until September 3rd to decide. Until then...it's heavy weights and HIIT for me. I'll get some runs in here and there but there's no 5k in the near future that I've found so I'm going to see if a treadmill HIIT is effective for me. :smile:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,003 Member
    Options
    Hi Shannon! Don't beat yourself up.....I know you'll get RIGHT back into the swing of things and, you're young, the changes will happen FAST!

Better - I'm not sure you need to listen to the 50-year-old (who is dealing with a 50-year-olds metabolism) to figure out what is best for you. (Mind you, that also means you don't have to listen to me.) I like chui's suggestion that you pick your TOP priority, and figure out your fitness/nutrition plan around that. I think that sounds like a plan for "success".

Chloe, I only do push-ups from my toes, now. Mind you, NROL4W also has them with elbows tucked tight into the body, so, I end up feeling it BIG TIME in my tri's about 2 days after the work-out (like, now). Oh, and I bet I cannot do 10 from the floor....I always have to elevate my torso - but, 3 x 10 floor push-ups is a 2012 goal of mine - and I do keep working towards it.

chui - I like the 'new scale' story....when I next step on the scale, if it is NOT favourable, maybe I'll go out and buy my own, too....that reads the NUMBER that I want, lol! (wouldn't that be funny??? Have it pre-programmed to say "150" every single time I'm on it, no matter what????ROFLMAO.)

mama - ssshhhhh, don't tell anybody, but last night was date night, at a fave resto of my DH and mine, and they have a LOBSTER TRUFFLE MAC 'N CHEESE that is to die for. I planned my day around it. 1,000 calories for 2 cups. Mind you, I got there, ate about 1.5 cups, and realized I wasn't enjoying it. Too SALTY???!!!???? I took the rest home and it'll be swooped up by one of my kids. I consider that a SCORE!

I'm really swamped at work, today. Will only have time to get out for a brisk walk at lunch. That's okay, Vitamin D and me *love* each other!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Beeps, I have not had lobster mac and cheese but it sounds delish!
    I did my couch to 5k last night, running for 10 minutes, walk for 3, run for 10 and the ipod died right before the second 10 minutes! It sucked but I got it done. I did not stick around for the cool-down, though...
    Tonight I had spartacus on the menu but now I wonder if I should just do some strength training?
    Ashley, I know how you feel because I was feeling the same way, there is just so much information-what should I do, how often and how long? and I think it does boil down to priorities. I thought my priority is to look good nekkid and that does not help me to dial into a plan, so I end up doing whatever the celebrity trainers tell me, because they look good! anyway, my goal for the next 4 weeks is to train for Warrior Dash, so I just tailored my program to that.
    I found another fitness chick with a blog, maybe next month I will do what she does:)
    http://www.jencomaskeck.com/
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    I thought about what my goal is right now and I have many - to tone overall, get stronger, run faster, etc. etc. etc. but I think my main area that is bothering me right now is my belly, so I'm going to give 6 week 6 pack a shot. It will keep me focused and on track and it seems to focus on abs but also give a "total body workout". But I think I'm only going to do 3 days a week and run 2: on treadmill, with baby, outside by myself, whatever. I love running and it makes me happy. I'm kind of in a funk this week and I haven't run since last Monday or something, so maybe that is a contributor. I dunno. I do know running is probably the thing that has been the most consistent in my fitness life and that when I'm doing it I feel like I am getting good results so I'm going to do that. This starts next week so my 6 weeks will be over the end of August, but I may stretch it to get all 30 workouts in. We'll see. Maybe I will love it so much I'll want to do it 4 days a week! I doubt it. So that's that. Problem solved. So I have no idea what workout will be tonight but there will be one. Even though I had about 3ish glasses of wine last night and I am way sleepy today. Ugh.