Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Hey! Glad to see you here, yes I'd definitely say if you still feel injured, just go with a really low weight, or just the bar. It's tough, really tough with a lot of weight. There aren't actually any pull ups, just the negative chin up, where you lower yourself slowly. It's tough, but I did progress from body weight to also 10 pounds, I could not get above 10, my arms would literally just jello under me and I'd lower instantly. I did try going from 10 directly to 20 when that happened, should've tried 15 instead probably. I've got the last two workouts of each A and B left for this week, then onto Stage 7, crazy, can't believe it's almost over, I think I'm going to try NR Abs next.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. What are you supposed to do if you can't actually do a negative chin-up? I dropped like a rock but kept trying.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    I dropped like a rock when I added some weight in a backpack, weird feeling. Just keep trying, like you said.
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you can't do the negative chin-up for 20 seconds, just keep working on increasing your time until you can. I'm starting at an advantage relative to most women on this program, because I had a goal of being able to do a chin-up a few years back, and so I built a lot of upper body strength working on that. And the number one exercise I did during that time was -- yep, negative chin-ups. I dropped like a rock at first, but it got better.

I still can't do 2 in a row, so that's my goal this time around. :)
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above - the negative chin-ups get better with time. At least they're getting better SO FAR for me:

6A1: averaged about 4-5 seconds....more or less dropped like a rock
    6A2: my arms were still sore from 6A1, so I barely made 3 seconds each rep, but I still tried
    6A3: this morning I was able to extend the first one to almost 10 seconds! Woohoo! (the other two reps were more like 5-6 seconds, but still better than where I started).

What kind of weight do all of you do for the split squats? I'm doing this at home and I'm up to 50lbs on the bar (including bar weight). The squats themselves are tough, but manageable. The hardest part is hoisting the bar onto my shoulders - I'm terrified that I'm going to clock myself with it and crumple in a heap on the floor, especially if I up my weights again. I don't have a squat rack (like I said, doing this at home), and the hubs doesn't wake up early enough to spot me. What should I do - keep my weights lower to avoid disaster, or keep upping slowly and just roll with it? How do you manage actually getting the bar on your shoulders?
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    What kind of weight do all of you do for the split squats? I'm doing this at home and I'm up to 50lbs on the bar (including bar weight). The squats themselves are tough, but manageable. The hardest part is hoisting the bar onto my shoulders - I'm terrified that I'm going to clock myself with it and crumple in a heap on the floor, especially if I up my weights again. I don't have a squat rack (like I said, doing this at home), and the hubs doesn't wake up early enough to spot me. What should I do - keep my weights lower to avoid disaster, or keep upping slowly and just roll with it? How do you manage actually getting the bar on your shoulders?

You just described my situation exactly! Like word for word. I can chuck 50 pounds up over my head, but I think that's going to be my limit, not that I couldn't squat more, but that I can't lift more than that over my head. I haven't really decided what I plan to do, mainly bc I'm on the last workout, and I haven't looked at stage 7, so I don't know if I need to worry about it, if there's squats in stage 7. I can't see upping the weight, even by a little, I think I'm maxed out at 50. Squat racks are huge, right? I can't see buying one to go in my living room. Post what you end up deciding, just out of curiosity.
  • neurochamp
    Options
    Whew, I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

After this morning's workout, I'm strongly leaning towards NOT going above 50 lbs - I really think I could squat more, I just don't feel confident about lifting more over my head. Installing a squat rack is definitely out of the question for me, too - they are big and I just don't know where I could fit it in my workout space.

I may try a higher weight if I can either get my husband to spot me, or once I feel strong enough to comfortably lift a heavier bar over my head (that may take a while), but for now it's probably safer to just stick with 50.

ETA: So I'm looking on Amazon and there ARE some fairly compact squat racks. I'm probably not going to shell out another couple hundred dollars on workout stuff right now, but maybe I'll consider it in the future...especially if I get to the point where 50 lbs on split squats seems ridiculously easy.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not saying I'd never increase, but for where I feel I'm at now, I don't see going over 50lbs. Good to know on the amazon search, thanks for doing the legwork, lol.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Moving on to stage 7, yay!! I finished this stage being able to do 1&1/2 chin ups, several times throughout a workout, 3-4 times, but I have to have a little break in between one and a halves. I could do none before, so I did improve! They sure do hurt my elbows though.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    good job! i'm excited to see how many chin ups i can do when i finish this stage. i guess before i did the first workout yesterday i should've seen if i could even do one. maybe next time! i really like this stage so far. i was getting so bored with the other stages repeating. i am pretty sore today, mainly in my chest and in my armpit region which is a strange sensation.

how long did it take you guys to complete the first A workout? i wasn't watching the clock but i'm thinking it was about 45 mins.
  • neurochamp
    Options
    The stage 6 workouts are taking me 33-35 minutes (including warm up).

I'm also excited to see if I can complete any chin-ups after this. I did not need to check to know that I could not do one to save my life before I started this stage :laugh:
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    good job! i'm excited to see how many chin ups i can do when i finish this stage. i guess before i did the first workout yesterday i should've seen if i could even do one. maybe next time! i really like this stage so far. i was getting so bored with the other stages repeating. i am pretty sore today, mainly in my chest and in my armpit region which is a strange sensation.

how long did it take you guys to complete the first A workout? i wasn't watching the clock but i'm thinking it was about 45 mins.

I found the first A workout really fast! Including a warm up it was probably 30 minutes tops, which was pretty nice. I just added some more of my favourite ST moves and then did some good HIIT. A very enjoyable stage IMO. However, I was only able to do negative chin up about 10 secs. Really don't know if I'll be able to do a chin up!!! Definitely on my bucket list!!!
  • lhergenr
    Options
    i did the first B workout yesterday and i'm not nearly as sore from it as i was from workout A. hopefully i can rock 2A tomorrow! i find it really difficult to stop swinging in the chin up position before i lower myself. i have to hold myself up for atleast 15 seconds to stop swinging before i lower, anyone else?
  • neurochamp
    Options
    Yeah, I take a little while to stop swinging, too. Mostly that ends up with me lowering pretty slowly on the first negative chin-up, then pretty much dropping on the other two.

Anyone repeating this stage? I've improved on the negative chin-ups a little but, but I still don't think I'm very close to actually being able to do a chin-up (my shoulder strength is fairly pathetic). So do I repeat this stage again right away, or come back to it after stage 7?
  • lhergenr
    Options
    hm personally i'd probably just repeat it right away instead of coming back to it after stage 7 (which i'm excited for). not really sure why, just feels right.
  • neurochamp
    Options
    That's kind of what I was thinking - maybe I'll get more out of stage 7 if I repeat 6 and work on building up my base shoulder/upper body strength. I just finished 6b5 this morning, so might pick back up at 6a1 again on Wednesday and just keep plugging away at it.

I have to say, despite not feeling like I made huge progress the first time through 6, I am pretty happy that I haven't had any rotator cuff issues. I used to get pretty wicked shoulder pain from exercises like these (shoulder presses, pushups, etc.), but not this time around. Must mean I'm making some progress after all :)
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Maybe I should repeat too...there's no way I am at pull up strength...I just finished week 3...??? And my elbow is hurting...:noway:
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    What DB weights are you using for reverse lunges (one DB on shoulder - workout b)?

Also, have you ever done "hip thrusts"?

Bootcamp in the morning!
  • FootsoreRambler
    FootsoreRambler Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm finished with stage 6 now. I was having some hand/shoulder issues, so I'm not sure I got everything out of the B workouts that I could have. My left hand has grip and numbness problems, and something hinky is going on with my right shoulder. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to 7. I like getting back into the fully-loaded squats and deadlifts. I'm pretty sure that once I finish this program, I'm going to do Stronglifts 5x5 for a while so that I can really track my progress on a few things, rather than do all this change-up. I do like the variety; I'm just ready for something more focused.
  • lhergenr
    Options
    My elbow started really bothering me after the third A workout. It's finally starting to feel better but I had to take a few days off from lifting. I use 20 pound dumbbells for the reverse lunge, I think I used 25 pounds for one set but it was difficult. Never done hip thrusters!