Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My left hand has grip and numbness problems....

Funny you should mention that. I did my first A workout today and had numbness in my left hand after the 1st negative chin up. I put it down to me not gripping the bar properly (using my fingers more than my hand). The following 2 sets were OK, but I could definitely feel it in my left forearm also.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....there seems to be a common "thread" of hand numbness or elbow pain in this stage....

Check out hip thrusts on YouTube...I heard on a podcast it is the best exercise for glutes...I tried it the other day and my *kitten* was definitely sore! LOL

Reverse lunges week 3 I used 30# dumbbells and I could manage it! I was proud of myself and didn't want to hear that everyone else was using 50's!
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Hmmmm....there seems to be a common "thread" of hand numbness or elbow pain in this stage....

Check out hip thrusts on YouTube...I heard on a podcast it is the best exercise for glutes...I tried it the other day and my *kitten* was definitely sore! LOL

Reverse lunges week 3 I used 30# dumbbells and I could manage it! I was proud of myself and didn't want to hear that everyone else was using 50's!

Interesting stuff! Did my first B workout today and I may substitute the back extensions for hip thrusts as I'm struggling to get good form using my home setup.

Well done on the 30lb DBs too :smile:
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Dang I may have to bow out of stage 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went to gym this morning and elbow/forearm definitely flares up when doing reverse pull up. Changed to assisted pull up and it was less intense, but I'm not further injuring myself! And then another of my fave moves - barbell lunges - was shot because I've done something to my right "toes"/end of foot that hurts! Grrrrrr....

I don't know whether to just to go 7 now...? I guess it is an "optional" stage...?
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Sorry to hear that CanGirl. Like you said Stage 6 is optional so if you're not comfortable with it - move on to 7. You can always come back to it if you feel like it.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    that's a bummer cangirl, i love this stage! but workout A definitely takes a toll on my elbows with the reverse chin up, push ups, and the lat pulldown. i just did it and my elbows are a' hurtin!
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    2nd A workout done today. This time I had numbness in my right index/middle fingers doing the negative chin ups. An internet search of numbness in index finger suggests I may have carpal tunnel weakness in my skinny weak wrists and lack of grip/forearm strength. The tingling doesn't last but I'll try gloves next time I think and if it doesn't improve I'll move on to Stage 7. Obviously I don't want to do any damage!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    I know it's a total bummer! I loved workout A - nice and fast, and you feel "powerful" with reverse pullups. However, I also noticed I have right wrist pain too so obviously I've strained something. I'm taking a rest week next week (out of town anyway) and then starting stage 7 Monday, the 29th! I'm also starting a cut in May.
  • lhergenr
    Options
    what kind of grips are you guys using for the reverse chin up? i've been doing a neutral (hands facing eachother) grip. i think it makes the move a tad easier
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    lhergenr - you're a genius! I work out at home and only have the standard pull up bar, so a trip to the hardware store is on the cards - I'll make me some handles!!!

2nd B workout done tonight. I was really pushed for time so kind of rushed through it. Could've/should've done better on the B exercises but ran out of time and I won't get chance to work out tomorrow so figured a rushed workout was better than no workout.
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    I couldn't get to the hardware store before today to get some chain to make my handles. Anyway, they're now done and I'm very happy with them.

handles1Small_zps7ee98714.jpg
    handles2Small_zps30f051ba.jpg

So 3rd A workout completed. I've not had any issues with numbness in my fingers using the neutral grip but I did think my forearms were going to explode on the 3rd negative chin up! You were right Ihergenr, the neutral grip does make the move a tad easier :smile:
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ok, I didn't feel strong or powerful with those reverse chinups. I couldn't hold myself up long enough to do anything. I am truly a work in progress! I used the assisted pullup rack and dropped the weight to 90. I can get on and hold myself from there, and lower myself slowly but I can't jump up off the box and hold myself up.

I am thankful that I didn't feel any numbness when I did my comedy show.

I also PRd my underhand lat pull downs with 100# Now that made me feel powerful!

I can't wait to do B!

J that's a really neat rig you set up!
  • lhergenr
    Options
    nice set up!! you're like macguyver.

i just finished this stage today, it's pretty exciting to be moving on to the final stage. i'm definitely glad i did this stage, workout A made me feel really strong!
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Sue - way to go with the 100lb PR! Sounds like you didn't do badly at all if you could hold yourself up and lower down on your first workout, I don't think I could jump up and hold either although I have no knowledge of the equipment you're using.

Ihergenr - LOL at Macguyver! Did you manage a chin up? Congrats on making it all the way through to Stage 7 :drinker:

Did my 3rd B workout today. Decided to sub the back extensions with the hip thrusts that Cangirl mentioned earlier which work much better as I don't have the equipment to do back extensions properly.
  • suelegal
    Options
    Ok so I picked this out so you could see what an assisted pullup machine looks like - the one at my gym is a little different but basically the same idea. But the real reason I picked it was cuz this girl rocks pullups!! I'm going to like her one of these days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0_dN-OFa3U

Ok, so did y'all think B was um... fast? I probably didn't use heavy enough weights, although the reverse lunges were challenging for sure. 2 reps just didn't seem like enough.
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Hey Sue, thanks for the link - those machines are pretty good aren't they and you're right, that lady rocks! One day :happy:

The B workouts are quick (assuming you mean sets not reps). I think this stage is all about upping the weight if poss each workout, but I'm still surprised when I scroll down the spreadsheet to do the next exercise and realise there aren't any!

4th A workout done today. 15 sec rests between sets on the lat pulldowns is TOUGH. I then forgot to do the 2nd set D'Oh!
  • suelegal
    Options
    2nd B this morning. Wow does it highlight my weak points. I could do more weight easily on those reverse lunges but I cannot hold a heavier DB at my shoulder like that. I just don't have the muscle power there. I can do 35# IF I use my other hand to help support. Otherwise, I'd be at 25. OHP even with the push is frustrating. I am only pushing 5# more than the end of Stage 1 - I can't seem to make any gains there.

Suggestions?
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Hey Sue, I'm only at 12.5kg (27.5lb) for reverse lunge and I'm using the BB for the push press which for WO3 was 25kgs, I feel my muscles are working hard during the exercise so I'm trying not to get hung up on the numbers, and as the reps drop further into the stage, the more opportunity there is to up the weight.

I haven't lifted in almost a week which sucks. I've been very busy doing DIY jobs and sorting out the garden whilst the weather is good, but my poor body just doesn't have anything left for a workout. My back, elbows and wrists are particularly sore from the marathon gardening session I did yesterday - however I do have an NSV! I was emptying the shed of some stuff yesterday as I need the space. I managed to lift an old 30kg petrol lawnmower into the back of the car to take to the household recycling facility. I couldn't have dreamed of doing that before I started NROL :happy:

The rain/wind has returned to the UK so if my body has recovered enough by tomorrow I'll do WO B4.
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Finally got WO B4 done this evening, 11 days after my last WO. I over did it a little with the gardening/DIY last week but l can recommend raking gravel if you want to really work those arms/shoulders/abs/back!
  • suelegal
    Options
    Hey all, long weekend away with my kids and 1 grandson. no workouts, lots of walking. tomorrow morning 3rd B workout. Looking forward to lifting again!

JS, I ditto that though I haven't had to do much raking for quite a while. Shoveling snow does that for me too.