Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    hey gals -

I did 6B3 today. I will be glad when this stage is done, but stage 7 is going to be TOUGH! I hope to lift on sunday, too, since I will be traveling M-Th next week.

Beck - too bad the meds don't work! it seems to be pretty common. what causes vertigo?
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    6 A5 done today. Not much progress with the pull downs, but am still pulling one plate below bodyweight so that's probably why!
    Pleased with the split squats with going back to 10 reps.... was 7.5kg up on my first round of this stage.

Forgot AMRAP on first lot of push ups, did 10 then 15 (feet on bench).

The chin ups - did 3 negative, then 2 lots of 2 real ones. I've been able to do half chin ups for a while (as in my arms lowered my body down but didn't straighten, as then I couldn't get back up!). Now I can do them where my arms can pull me up from a completely straightened position, so v pleased. My legs are ugly whilst doing it though, I always end up pulling them up in front of me when they should be crossed behind I think?

Have fun tomorrow with your lifting LC. Beck - are you better yet?
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I slowly, very slowly starting to feel better. I plan on making a doc appt tomorrow and hopefully they can take my blood and see if I'm low on anything. Otherwise I'm still waiting on my luggage from Kansas. Haha! Crossing my fingers I can get back to the gym at some point this week!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Beck - my grandparents live in Kansas, too! they live in Overland Park, just outside of KC! glad you are on the mend!

Jo - That is great that you can do 2x2 for the pull-ups!! I tried a pull-up today...nothin' doin'! oh well. Yes, I think that when you pull your legs in front you are creating momentum that is not exactly kosher?

So, 6A4 is done...nothing very interesting to report. I am traveling M-Th this week and I play soccer on Friday, so likely not going to lift until Sat. We will see what kind of set-up my gym has.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I finished stage 6 today! Whoop whoop! I've enjoyed it but am looking forward to what the final stage brings..... haven't dared look yet, haha.

LC - I will keep practicing and try and get those chin ups with my legs behind me! Still a long way off though I reckon.
    Beck - fingers crossed you get back to it soon. Hope your luggage turns up!!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    omg, just looked at stage 7. How many reps??!!
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Starting stage 6 today and am nervous about what I will look like doing a negative chin up. Excited to get started though!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Hi Ramalem - I was nervous about doing this in public too, but was fine once I'd done it once! And I'm not good at it, lol. Good luck!
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Welllll first workout didn't go so well. I was too embarrassed to drag a bench over to the bar and try the negative chin up in front of all the meat heads, so I tried doing it on the assisted machine (using the bar and the steps). Unfortunately, the bar didn't allow me to do palms facing me, so I just gripped and went - and really pulled something in my left trap/shoulder/neck. Needless to say I can't really move my head too far in either direction today and I had to stop everything yesterday.

Tried doing just some air squats and pushups to feel like I did something. I'll probably have to wait until this heals to try again, so it's just cardio for me for the remainder of the week :(
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Oh dear! Yes pull ups are waaaay harder than chin ups :-(

Hope it heals up asap!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    OMG - I have been doing pull-ups this whole stage NOT chin-ups! UGH!

I have been out of town all week and have soccer tonight...lifting tomorrow. I am going to try a real chin up first thing!!!

Ramelam - how is your muscle pull? so sorry you got hurt!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    OMG - I have been doing pull-ups this whole stage NOT chin-ups! UGH!

At least it wasn't the other way round? lol ;-)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    omg, just looked at stage 7. How many reps??!!

I'm just starting 7 for the 2nd time. 15-20 reps and they ain't no joke let me tell you!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you are reading the Stage 5 stuff sorry for the double post- this really belongs here but I also posted it there because it looked like there were a lot of people thinking of skipping stage 6.

OK so I was really pretty nervous about the whole reverse chin up thing or whatever it is called and I read the instructions like 3 or 4 times and I am thinking ok right, grab the bar and hang there until I stop swinging? And I have never in my life had any upper body strength and the gym is full of all these people and I had NO IDEA what was going to happen, and I thought for sure I was NEVER going to be able to lower myself slowly, I was going to drop like a rock. But today I decided who cares? So I got the bench and put it under the bar and fiddled with it for a minute to make it straight and then I grabbed the bar and took a deep breath and jumped. And- well- I hung there. For a while. In good position. And then I lowered myself over about like 7 seconds. It felt GREAT

So just sayin- try it, just once! That's my suggestion. Even if you're going to skip stage 6. It was fun! I can't wait until I get to do it again in 4 days. laugh
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    sorry if this has been asked before, but is a barbell split squat any different from a static lunge with a barbell instead of dumbbells?
  • kathleennf
    Options
    sorry if this has been asked before, but is a barbell split squat any different from a static lunge with a barbell instead of dumbbells?

According to my understanding yes. When I do the lunges, I bring my feet back together on every rep. When I do the split squat, I keep one in front and one in back, do all the squats and then switch. I could be wrong tho,
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options

According to my understanding yes. When I do the lunges, I bring my feet back together on every rep. When I do the split squat, I keep one in front and one in back, do all the squats and then switch. I could be wrong tho,

That's the only difference I do as well!

If you are reading the Stage 5 stuff sorry for the double post- this really belongs here but I also posted it there because it looked like there were a lot of people thinking of skipping stage 6.

OK so I was really pretty nervous about the whole reverse chin up thing or whatever it is called and I read the instructions like 3 or 4 times and I am thinking ok right, grab the bar and hang there until I stop swinging? And I have never in my life had any upper body strength and the gym is full of all these people and I had NO IDEA what was going to happen, and I thought for sure I was NEVER going to be able to lower myself slowly, I was going to drop like a rock. But today I decided who cares? So I got the bench and put it under the bar and fiddled with it for a minute to make it straight and then I grabbed the bar and took a deep breath and jumped. And- well- I hung there. For a while. In good position. And then I lowered myself over about like 7 seconds. It felt GREAT

So just sayin- try it, just once! That's my suggestion. Even if you're going to skip stage 6. It was fun! I can't wait until I get to do it again in 4 days. laugh

right there with you! glad that 7 seconds isn't uncommon for the first couple tries! I only got up to 8secs on the 2nd workout though haha
  • kathleennf
    Options

right there with you! glad that 7 seconds isn't uncommon for the first couple tries! I only got up to 8secs on the 2nd workout though haha

Thanks! Well I'm almost finished and haven't improved that much on this one - maybe some. It's kind of hard to time because of the time I spend hanging there trying to stop swinging!!
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Thanks! Well I'm almost finished and haven't improved that much on this one - maybe some. It's kind of hard to time because of the time I spend hanging there trying to stop swinging!!

I have a feeling I will be in the same boat as well. I swing a lot! And I pulled my left lat during the second A workout which put me off-track a bit. although I want to get stronger, I'm more concerned with fat loss at the moment so I'm not too worried about the (lack of) strength gains :)
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I start stage 6 tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!! I'm terrified especially of the negative chin up! Mostly because i don't want to make a fool out of myself at the gym! So from skimming through the comments most of you are not adding a weight belt, just holding for X amount of seconds? I can't even do one chin up now so I am hoping this method with make me stronger and work my way to chin ups.

Eeek! Will see how it goes tomorrow!