Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I upped weights in B today and I didn't do only 6 reps. All except that push press. I just can't get anymore weight on. I broke my left collarbone years ago, but it healed funky and I guess it's just never going to be very strong. You should see me quiver trying to get the last push to the top.

I'm happy with my results but honestly I wish I was doing deadlifts, squats and bench presses.
  • suelegal
    Options
    #4 of A done. I did 100# for all 10 inverted pulldowns.

Split squats at 55, but I think I should have gone higher. My pushups are much better too, tho I still can't get down to "0" from my toes. Getting better.

I don't regret doing this stage, but I'lll be glad to be done.
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't regret doing this stage, but I'lll be glad to be done.

I hear ya! I've not really deviated from this program so I really miss the traditional deadlifts and back squats! Well done on the 100lb pulldowns! I could just about do one set only with that weight then had to drop back down 5lbs for my second set.

Did my last A workout last night. It went OK but could've been better. I think the break since my previous A workout didn't help so I might repeat it. I can pull myself from a standing position (neutral grip) on the pull ups and lower myself down fully, but I can't pull up from a full hanging position - yet!

Couldn't get more than 10 full pushups, but I'm still happy as I couldn't even do 1 full push up from the floor at the end of Stage 1.
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Completed my last B workout yesterday - I'm glad I did this stage as I've seen some real strength gains in my shoulders, but I'm ready to move on. Can't believe I've made it to Stage 7!
  • suelegal
    Options
    Yea for you!! I have A & B to finish up so I will be starting Stage 7 next week, unless I take a week off and have my trainer help me with prep exercises

This morning I did 4th B and BOOM, I upped weights! I did 40# on the reverse lunges, 35# on the 2pt row and (ready for this?) 22.5 on the OHP. Yea I struggled mightily with that but I did it! I also tried to raise the angle on my reverse crunches but failed. S'ok, I'm still better than when I started.

Last A workout will be Wednesday. I hope I get B done before I go out of town but I might do it either out at my kid's home in OH or wait til next week to finish.

Ready to move on! Stage 7 here we come!!
  • jsextrasmooth
    Options
    Great work - well done Strong Sue! Good on you for sticking with the OHP which is clearly your nemesis on this stage with that shoulder injury of yours!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Did my first 6A workout today! I enjoyed it but the 10 sets of pull downs was crazy!!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    10 sets???? Jeez. Probably I should look at the book and prepare for what's coming :-/
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    10 sets???? Jeez. Probably I should look at the book and prepare for what's coming :-/

Yes, 19! Only 2 reps per set but it was still crazy! I'm still sore from that A workout!

Finished my first B workout today! Was a really quick workout with everything only being 2 sets. Kind of a nice change:)
  • beckkotsch
    Options

Yes, 19! Only 2 reps per set but it was still crazy! I'm still sore from that A workout!

Finished my first B workout today! Was a really quick workout with everything only being 2 sets. Kind of a nice change:)

Oops, not 19...10!!! Haha
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    hi beck! I will be joining you here on Thursday!! Can't wait!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    First 6A today... dare I say it? .... It was a bit easy?! And quick?

Negative chin ups - was dreading doing this in public, but actually went ok. Need to time it on my phone though. Could have held 20 secs easy on first rep, not by the third though! How do you stop legs swinging? The jump to get up to the bar keeps giving me a swing motion. I added on some normal chin ups at the end for good measure, hahaha.

Pull downs - need to sort out my understanding of the machine resistance effect. The plates say 25kg, but then I up to 28kg and I can't move the bar.... even with my feet off the ground! Now I'm 54kg so that doesn't make any kinda sense.

Split squats - these were the hardest.What weights have you started at? I used 30kg today, with my normal squat being 50kg. There was a definite burn in my glutes but not sure if yesterdays run meant they were already sore.

Push ups - did extras and elevated for first time (was doing T push ups previously). Looking forward to B.... and also nice that each workout changes sets/ reps so that they don't get boring.
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    Just finished 6A2 today!

I have to use a bench to reach the chin up bar (and then I still have to jump). Basically, I jump up....wait for my legs to stop swinging and then hold it and slowly go down, as slow as possible.

The pull downs still threw me off today. 10 sets is so weird. And then to only have 2 reps is even weirder! haha I do 120 lbs on those.

It definitely seems "easy" but I was totally sore last time I did A so we'll see how I feel tomorrow. And I think the purpose of this stage is different than the others so it's just gonna be weird:)
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Not going to get chance to hit the gym tomorrow so did 6B (1) today..... also quick and a little dull! Good to have some new moves though.

I'm thinking my lat pull down has a 1:2 resistance, which I believe means that 25kg on the plates is actually equivalent to 50kg. Which converts to 110lbs.... which looking at your numbers Bec make sense!
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    And yay - my waist is now 26 inches! Go me!
  • suelegal
    Options
    And yay - my waist is now 26 inches! Go me!

Holy cow, that's too awesome! Congrats!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    jo marnes - congrats on your new waist measurement!! Yes, there are some machines...lat machine is one...where the weight is double the weight it shows. Not sure why they do it that way! If you can do regular chin-ups, shouldnt you just do those instead of the negatives? For the split squats, I started started where I was at for the step-ups, BSS, etc: 80 pounds. I will def go up next time, though.

beck - did the negative chin-ups for the first time yesterday. My legs swung the whole time, but I forgot to cross my legs like they show. Hopefully that will help. I agree that the 10x2 is weird. the 3x1 for the negative pull-ups is also weird. why only 1 rep? why only 3 sets? I got up to 115...tough by the 10th set! I will do 120 next for 6A2.

I did 6A1 last night and I am sore today, but not as bad as I thought I would be given how exhausted my arms were. Why are we neglecting the legs and core for this stage? I am going to do more legs next time. I added vsitups and back extensions yesterday.

As far as the push-ups go, I did 4 second holds and my feet on a step+1 riser. Will go to 6 secs and 2 risers next time. I wish I would have known about these modfications before...I was doing a ton of reps before. I love the hold with my nose touching the floor...I AM STRONG!
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    I've been doing some body matrix stuff as part of my warm up just to get a little bit of leg work in!

LC...you kick *kitten* with your pushups. I still suck at those:) Working on it though!

Did 6B2 today. HALFWAY through already! Amazing how fast it goes when I can lift 3x a week! I think during most of Stage 5 I was only able to get it in 2x a week. I did have some left shoulder issues again though so I only did 2 sets instead of 3. Hoping that by next time I'll do 4 sets instead of the 3 to make it up. I tried foam rolling but it's awkward! haha I'll rest it until Monday and hopefully it'll be ok...
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Hey girls, I'm still too sick to contemplate working out :-(

But on the plus side, got an email from the gym today confirming my lat pulldowns are in fact 53kg, not the 26.5kg it says on the plates - woohoo! lol

I love the pushups.... mostly I think because I'm not half bad at them and can kinda show off, hahaha. I am now using feet on a bench and hands on a step (no risers) for stage 6. Was doing T push ups before but thought I'd change it up a bit.

Well done Beck - you are flying through this stage. Wish I was, stupid illness, honestly, its getting to a point where I can't remember being well!

Keep it up girls, wish I was joining you xx
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Hi all - I did 6B1 tonight. Why are these workouts so short?!? I really need to add some HIIT to feel like I got a workout. I just realized that the "Reverse lunge dumbbell ON shoulder" description is not what they show in the book...holding the weight out will be more of a challenge for sure. Oh, and I see that we are supposed to do one arm at a time for the rows...guess I needed to review before I hit the gym!

jo - sorry that you are sick! make sure and get plenty of rest!

beck - great job with getting your workouts in! Are you stretching your shoulders after you lift?