2nd Trimester

Options

Replies

• MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm sooo excited to feel the baby move, i'm at 13 weeks 3 days, and I feel fluttering, but i'm not quite sure if that's it.. maybe it's all in my head lol!!! I have an appt tomorrow :)

Anyone know what we can and can't take when we have a cold? I have a sore throat coming on ugh...
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Anyone know what we can and can't take when we have a cold? I have a sore throat coming on ugh...

My GP gave me a list of "safe" drugs/remedies for different ailments, but I can't remember what was on the list for colds. He also told me if I had concerns about any drugs to call Motherisk (based at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto). They have a hotline you can call and ask about different drugs. Might be worth a shot? Here is their # 1-877-439-2744 (Motherisk Helpline).

Another friend of mine was told by her doctor to avoid all drugs, so your best bet is to double check with your own doc.

Personally, I'd try some tea or hot water with honey and/or lemon! :drinker: I know even though my list says certain drugs are "safe", I'd rather avoid them unless I'm absoultely miserable. (Plus, even they have "safe" in quotation marks!:noway: )
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm sooo excited to feel the baby move, i'm at 13 weeks 3 days, and I feel fluttering, but i'm not quite sure if that's it.. maybe it's all in my head lol!!! I have an appt tomorrow :)

I was also given a list of safe medications to take for various problems. Of course I wanted to avoid taking ANYTHING during pregnancy if possible, but sometimes when you are miserable enough you have to take something. I'm battling a nasty cold right now so have been taking Tylenol Cold & Sinus (from approved safe list) so I can breathe a little easier. Just a month ago I had another cold, which wasn't as bad, so got away with not taking anything, but also just got over some pretty fierce hives & had to take benedryl & Claritin. All those are safe. So needless to say my wanting to avoid taking anything hasn't happened this time. =( It seems to be one ailment after another!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I just read an article: http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-fevers-pregnancy-autism-20120523,0,6934232.story

It shows a link between pregnant moms who DON'T take medication to bring down a fever (just ride it out) and those that take Tylenol to reduce the fever faster.

The women who did not take ibuprofen or acetaminophen to lower their fever were 2 1/2 times more likely to have babies with a communication disorder, and 2 3/4 times more likely to have babies with developmental problems.

But the women who did take medication to treat their fevers? The autism link went down drastically -- as their babies were no more likely to be on the spectrum as mothers who did not have fevers while pregnant.

Researchers theorize that when a woman spikes a fever, her body has an inflammatory response to fight whatever infection she has. When that response is suppressed by taking medication, the risk of the baby having a developmental or behavioral problem goes down.

Cuz ya know...we didn't have enough to worry about ;) Of course anytime you get sick while pregnant the first stop should be the Doctor who will be able to tell you what to, and what to not, take.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I wanted to try to not taking any meds this pregnancy but that's already not happening. My allergies are killer- I've been taking Zyrtec several times a week and Sudafed as needed. Both were cleared by the Dr. I don't think I could function without them. Luckily, I haven't have to worry about any pain meds or fever reducers yet.

So much to worry about!

I hope everyone stays healthy :)
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, FaugHorn. So far I've only had headaches that I've tried to hydrate/sleep away to no avail, but I'll certainly keep the info in mind if I ever have a fever!
  • FaugHorn
    Options
    Interesting article, FaugHorn. So far I've only had headaches that I've tried to hydrate/sleep away to no avail, but I'll certainly keep the info in mind if I ever have a fever!

I had about two weeks of crazy migranes in the first trimester which (fingers crossed) have gone away. I had to take tylenol on two of the days to be able to get from work to my house but other than that and two days of needing allergy meds I've been pretty medication-free.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any sickness yet this pregnancy, but I don't mind taking meds from the "approved list" if sicknesses arise. Just think of our moms and all the women before us who were pregnant- they did all sorts of things we aren't "supposed to" and we all turned out fine!:) I'm all for being careful, and I don't take anything I don't need to- but sometimes I think we need to give ourselves a break and just take a pill!:)
  • MyrianeO
    Options
    Thanks ladies! All that info is very helpful. I did go to the doctors and she said to take tylenol, as per the directions on the bottle. So I have been taking it, just in moderation to help with the fever.
    I'm sick like a dog right now, so just trying to eat and drink lots and get as much rest as possible.. I'm seriously NEVER sick.. but they say your immune system goes way down when you're preggo.. so there ya go! yay!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! All that info is very helpful. I did go to the doctors and she said to take tylenol, as per the directions on the bottle. So I have been taking it, just in moderation to help with the fever.
    I'm sick like a dog right now, so just trying to eat and drink lots and get as much rest as possible.. I'm seriously NEVER sick.. but they say your immune system goes way down when you're preggo.. so there ya go! yay!

Hope you feel better soon!
  • MyrianeO
    Options
    I am feeling better, not 100% but I'm actually at work today, after having to take 2 days to sleep (almost all day).. My savior was lemon and honey tea :drinker: ... proved to help ALOT!!! I did take tylenol at night to help me sleep... I know it isn't proven to be 100% safe, but my doctor recommended it and I think it helped more than it hurt, I recovered faster as I was able to sleep better.. Not guilty one bit..
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Holy cow- I feel like I'm packing on the pounds so fast! I feel like just yesterday I was up 4 lbs... now I'm up 10 lbs! I was at the Dr. yesterday and he said I'm doing just fine. I'm nearly halfway through this pregnancy and have 20 lbs to play with (he keeps going by the standard 25-30 lbs weight gain).

On another note, what are your thoughts on a used breast pump? All the research I've done says absolutely not, but they are just so darn expenisve. I have a phone number for a lactation consultant to get some advice but they aren't available until next week.
  • MyrianeO
    Options
    Holy cow- I feel like I'm packing on the pounds so fast! I feel like just yesterday I was up 4 lbs... now I'm up 10 lbs! I was at the Dr. yesterday and he said I'm doing just fine. I'm nearly halfway through this pregnancy and have 20 lbs to play with (he keeps going by the standard 25-30 lbs weight gain).

On another note, what are your thoughts on a used breast pump? All the research I've done says absolutely not, but they are just so darn expenisve. I have a phone number for a lactation consultant to get some advice but they aren't available until next week.

I am seriously looking at a used one too.. I mean, if you boil it and sanitize it, I don't see a problem.. they are really expensive, who can afford it?
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Some hospitals even rent out breast pumps, I'm looking into all my options as well, because I'll be returning to work fulltime after the baby and I still want to breastfeed/pump
  • Jillsie11
    Options
    I bought my own evenflo pump last time around...but towards the end I used my friend's Medela and LOVED it. This time around, my friend (who is done having kids) already gave me her medela pump to use and I see NOTHING wrong with it. They ARE a lot of money, and we gotta do what we can to save!
  • FaugHorn
    Options
    I put it on the registry...hoping that a couple people pitch in on one! I have gotten most of the other big ticket items off of craigslist :)
  • tinyjourney
    tinyjourney Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    So how much is everyone feeling earlier in the 2nd trimester? My mom thinks they will redate me to further along because I'm feeling some distinct baby movements. It started as bubbles, but this morning my DH felt what felt to him like distinct kick/punch movements. I'm sitting at 16w1d. It was enough to wake me from a sound sleep this morning. I even felt what was like fluctuations in my stomach where it would be flat then a rounds hump would form and then go flat again. I have an appointment on Monday for a cervical u/s & check up so I'll ask then. It just seems early for this.
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I put it on the registry...hoping that a couple people pitch in on one! I have gotten most of the other big ticket items off of craigslist :)

I did that too! I had people who bought me the accessories and then with gift cards I got the pump. But I also got the manual hand pump which are considerably less expensive. After 3 babies I DO NOT like the electric ones. For me they hurt. Most everyone else I know swears by the electric. I guess I just have sensitive nips.

I started feeling Skittle move at 14w. But this is also my 4th baby, 6th pregnancy.
  • MyrianeO
    Options
    Hi gals!

How is everyone doing?

On my part, I have been sick for the last few days, but feeling better now - stupid cold was rough though!
    Had my last doctors appt last tuesday, I had lost 2 pounds since my last visit, so all in all, I lost 2 pounds during my pregnancy so far (14 weeks) .. I'm guessing it's because I am overweight (198 pounds) and still eating really well and exercising.

I still have a lot of issues with eating meat.. i'm trying to sneak it into my meals - if the pieces are small I can digest it better, so in pasta and stirfry's it's ok.. But I am exploring other protein options such as fish and beans, all that jazz, which I enjoy much more while I'm pregnant.. this is weird because I LOVE meat usually.. any of you experiencing bad food aversions?

Another unusual thing, I got sick yesterday, in the morning when I got up.. this never hapened to me.. then I was ok, and actually ate a big breakfast.. weird...

Apart from all that, I'm good now, vacations are coming in 4 weeks!
  • Jillsie11
    Options

I still have a lot of issues with eating meat.. i'm trying to sneak it into my meals - if the pieces are small I can digest it better, so in pasta and stirfry's it's ok.. But I am exploring other protein options such as fish and beans, all that jazz, which I enjoy much more while I'm pregnant.. this is weird because I LOVE meat usually.. any of you experiencing bad food aversions?

Another unusual thing, I got sick yesterday, in the morning when I got up.. this never hapened to me.. then I was ok, and actually ate a big breakfast.. weird...

Hey there- that's strange that you're still having food aversions!! Is it still going for any others in the 2nd trimester?? During the first tri, I didn't want ANY fruits or veggies really- had to foce myself to eat them and felt nauseous all day every day. But I started feeling better about 12 weeks, and haven't experienced it since! Hope you feel better soon:)

My ultrasound is this Thursday, and the big Gender Revel party is friday evening- hoping the baby cooperates with my plans!:)