Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    You know what?? Super-setting goblet squats and straight-leg deadlifts is friggin' HARD.

Just saying....

I have exercised everyday this week! Weird....well, yesterday was "yoga" - shouldn't really COUNT that as "exercise".

Anyway, hope to get a little cardio in this weekend. Have a good one, all!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Beeps, that sounds like an awesome leg workout. I bet your glutes and hamstrings were burning!

Took the kids on a short bike ride (pulling 90lbs of kids in a bike trailer is a great cardio workout!), cleaned all day, and did some yard work to at least burn some calories. Hoping to lift tomorrow...no, I WILL lift tomorrow.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I've put on 3 lbs this week, which is irritating but no biggie. If it wasn't for the fact my work trousers are tighter. I've been feeling off this week. I think it's TOM soon so I'd been wearing more comfortable ones. I put the normal ones back on and they're tight around my thighs.
    Plus it's raining and my legs hurt so much from that workout.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've just been to the gym with hubby to get my head around stage 3. It really helps to have him with me while I figure these out. He can watch me and help with my form. He also pushes me to try heavier weights which is good. I still go for lighter weights, he hands me heavier than I would go for. Most of the time he's right.

I'm looking forward to this stage, although I know I am going to get confused with the YT whatever thingy. Also the reverse wood chop, it catches on my upper arm as I pull across. I will do this with a jacket on to protect my bingo wings!!!!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Rachel I know I practiced those stage 3 moves using my broom stick and my barbie weights at home before heading to the gym. I was so afraid of looking like an idiot. Then again. The New Rules moves look so alien compared to what everyone else in the gym is doing that I get stared at anyway. Luckily nobody knows if I'm doing it wrong lol.

Idiot maneuver of the week: I was working through my DL warm up sets. The plan was to break 100 last night. So I had to keep swapping out the plates. Well I made a critical error. I left an extra 5lb plate in ONE side of the bar, so my bar was unevenly weighted. Duh! (forehead smack) I'm so luck I didn't hurt myself. I felt weird the first set, but then I guess I just adjusted my grip and went with it. On the bright side, I did 3x8@105lbs.

ANd my glutes are screaming. First time since getting back tot he weights Woo hoo!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Speaking of body issues, I have an indentation where the different layers of my glutes overlap. I yoga pants I look like I have a panty line(I'm a thong only girl). Though I must say my butt has rounded out nicely and hubby agrees :wink:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    chubby - my glutes aren't hurting at all....they just don't fire. I think it all feels like quad work (well, I need another "form check" on my deadlifts....not sure why I am not feeling them). I'm going to sub out squats, for awhile (my quads are already dominant!) and try and do some "weighted glute bridges" instead. And, see if my personal trainer can show me how to do a 'reverse hack squat' - which i'm told should help with glutes.

rachie - stage 3 is AWESOME!!! You'll love it!

samntha - wow - 105 lbs is AWESOME!!

PS - i hate thongs....not sure why they ever caught on, but, boy, did I miss the memo on that one!
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have been lurking for a while, getting ready to start this program. Monday I finally did it so now i've done through 1a2.

For shakes we have the Oster personal blender which is kind of like the magic bullet only cheaper. The blender container doubles as the drink container so it's super easy to use and toss in the dishwasher.

Next Monday in will squat with the Oly bar. Just used lesser weight curling bars this week. Happy weekend everyone from sunny California!
  • samntha14
    Options
    I have the kind of butt that will create permanent panty lines. I HATE panty lines. I video taped myself at work giving a presentation as an intern for my portfolio wearing really nice khaki pants, and I couldn't concentrate on what I was seeing because all I saw was my underwear. I even had an amazingly rude person call me out on my panty lines. I've been wearing thongs since. Hell, I even get lines when I wear full coverage "guaranteed not to give you lines panties". Needless to say I only wear bikinis under jeans. If you buy a large enough size, you don't get permanent wedgie.

For my DL my new goal is to get back up to body weight. I like going heavy. My goals have little to do with weight and my body at this point. I'm happy with what I have achieved this past year.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Speaking of body issues, I have an indentation where the different layers of my glutes overlap. I yoga pants I look like I have a panty line(I'm a thong only girl). Though I must say my butt has rounded out nicely and hubby agrees :wink:

I am so glad I am not the only person with this issue! I don't really like thongs, but I've been forced to wear them with everything but jeans. I still "look" like I have a panty line. And even with loose clothing. Weird.
    Way to go on the DLs!!!!

Welcome Ari!

Beeps, the goblet squats always make me use my glutes more vs the back squat. Must be something about the different position and my body(i have short legs for my body and i am certain it affects how i squat). Those glute bridges sound ouchy:)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    It's so hard not to get discouraged sometimes. I weighted myself this morning I knew it was going to be bad TOM and I feel bloated, yep I'm about 4 lbs heavier. However I am not any bigger. My hips and chest are exactly the same and my waist is SMALLER!! It feels totally crazy.
    Off to drink lots of water and have breakfast. Eggs and bacon. Mmmmmm.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Nice to see you have a good attitude about it. I don't know why people even weigh themselves during TOM. SOme people can naturally be as much as 5 lbs heavier. Step away from the scale. Easter must be close because it's chocolate molding day. mmmmmm
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Sounds like you're making nice progress if your waist is smaller. I always see an increase the week before TOM and during. Then I usually see a loss after if I don't indulge too much:)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    chubby - my glutes aren't hurting at all....they just don't fire. I think it all feels like quad work (well, I need another "form check" on my deadlifts....not sure why I am not feeling them). I'm going to sub out squats, for awhile (my quads are already dominant!) and try and do some "weighted glute bridges" instead. And, see if my personal trainer can show me how to do a 'reverse hack squat' - which i'm told should help with glutes.

rachie - stage 3 is AWESOME!!! You'll love it!

samntha - wow - 105 lbs is AWESOME!!

PS - i hate thongs....not sure why they ever caught on, but, boy, did I miss the memo on that one!

Beeps, I did straight leg deadlifts on Saturday and I am SORE! Glutes and hammies! OW OW OW OW OW! I felt them right from the first one. Try 'em! You can't help but push with those glutes!

ETA oh, I see you have! I'm amazed you don't get a good glute workout with SL DLs! But those reverse hack squats ought to for sure from the vid I just looked at!
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Right guys, a bit of advice please - So I was just about to start stage 5 about 2 months ago. I had two weeks off as I was doing a fitness instructors course and too exhausted to do both then found out I'm pregnant and felt too sick and exhausted to start the next stage. Now I am feeling like I have a bit more energy and want to pick up some heavy things again but not sure what to do. I DO NOT want to go back to stage 1. Don't think I should pick up where I left off as a part from anything I won't do it justice and I was making really good progress before. So do i totally switch and try another program for a while and if so what? Any recommendations?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATS!! What a lovely happy reason to interrupt NROL4W. I'm not sure if you have the resources right now, but I suggest a trainer - someone who has helped pregnant women who lift. I personally have no experience so I'm not going to offer any ideas, but I wish you good luck with both the pregnancy and the weight training!! So nice to see you back here on the boards!
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Are straight deadlifts the same as Romanian deadlifts? I did those for the first time last week and talk about a glute/hamstring workout. My hamstrings are still hurting.

The lovely scale is back up today, continuing my awesome plateau, but I know in my heart I had a good week: lifted 3 times AND got in an 8-mile long run. So take that scale!

liv - Congrats!!! :) What wonderful news. I would just pick up where you left off, but that's me. Since 5 is a repeat of 3, it's not like you don't know the exercises. Just ease back into it.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    samantha - saw your pics on your profile...way to celebrate your body & successes!

ari - welcome!

venom - hang in there...and cheers to the smaller waist!!

liv - I agree with kmsairam. go ahead and start back on stage 5, but cut the weights from where you left off in stage 3. I also agree with sue, if you can find a trainer that specializes in lifting while pregnant that would be cool. you could also try to get advice from the author...someone on this thread got some great advice and a free book from Alwyn.

rachie - I will catch up to you soon in stage 3! only one more workout for stage 2...

so, I went on vacation the end of last week. for some reason, no exercise for 3 days and lots of french fries. Yesterday, I went back at it full steam: workout 2A4 and 4 miles of running.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Are straight deadlifts the same as Romanian deadlifts? I did those for the first time last week and talk about a glute/hamstring workout. My hamstrings are still hurting.

Not sure what you mean by 'straight' deadlifts but romanian are different than a standard deadlift and definitely work the hamstrings more.
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I have lots of catching up to do in regards to reading everyone's posts! My ankle/knee finally seemed to sort itself out. I think it was the mixture of bad shoes and the dreadmill. The pullback was really aggravating it. I ran outside on Saturday with the bad shoes and it was so much better (besides the nice feeling of shin splints on Sunday!). My new shoes should be here by Wednesday so I will only have to put up with one short/easy run with the crappy sneaks. Today is Stage 3 A2 today! I'm a bit on the hungrier side since I'm trying to reign in my eating just a bit. I don' think I'm actually "hungry" but rather just feeling snacky.