Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Beeps - YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!!!

Lcu - I am so glad hubby is working out with me now - not for me, but for him! he def needed a motivator!

So I think working out at night super helps me keep my eating in check. When I was working out in the am I'd get home, walk the dog and have LOTS of time to cook dinner and nibble. Now I am not done working out and showering until at least 830 and don't get home on gym nights until after 9. that is JUST enough time to shower and eat some healthy leftovers (this week was paleo three meat chili .... YUM!).

So my hip pain is back. Not at all sure what is going on with my right hip muscle. I tried running 1 mile yesterday (1 stinking mile) and it felt ok (just a TAD tight), then I did squats and DLs and today it HURTS! This is becoming a VERY annoying injury - I have 2 races coming up!

I guess it's just me and the elliptical for now...

On a positive note I hit a PR on my lat pull downs - I can do 7 reps of 80lbs!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    emgel - sorry to hear the hip is still bad. do you agree with your doctor's muscle spasm assessment? I have had really good experiences with physiotherapists diagnosing and treating running/soccer injuries.

beeps - AMAZING transformation! GREAT JOB!

barry - 30 mins seems about right for the ladies who post on this thread. I took a bit longer...make sure you are getting your rests in. they will increase significantly.
  • BarryLouis
    BarryLouis Posts: 9
    Options
    THANKS! I had a feeling they were i do need to slow down my reps for heavier weights and increase rest times
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    wow Beeps talk about an awesome transformation!! Incredible!!! I have much more body fat but I am seeing changes too and love to know that perserverance is the key! Thanks for posting! You give me great encouragement!!!

So I did 6B1 today. Um.... ok, it's wicked short! I also did regular OHP not PP and didn't even realize it until I was done and dusted. I think I can lift heavier but this was rather a trial for me today. Next one I will really challenge myself.

Darn Em, so sorry about your hip! Wish you could get that straightened out.

Hey Barry, my earlier stages took longer than 30 minutes as a general rule especially when I was upping weights or doing a particular lift for the first time. This Stage 6 however moves along very quickly.

Not much else here today. I'm going to spin tomorrow morning.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Scale was nice to me again this am! Love starting the day out that way! I played a little soccer last night and did my jog to the track/sprint workout/jog (hobble!) home. I really need some yoga to help me recover so that I can lift tomorrow.

breeze - your priorities are straight! I am a true believer that if you are really hungry, you should eat. You just need to make good choices. I agree with you that I LOVE building strength!

sue - great job on the challenge! Losing your balance on the FSPP sounds scary! How did you get up?

It wasn't really scary, I just sort of plopped down on my butt. My trainer was there, he picked up the oly bar and flung it back up on the rack and lifted me up, though I was on my way to my feet anyway, but it was rather like superman picking up lois lane. fling and I was on my feet. :blushing: yea I was totally embarassed.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone - got to burn some extra cals tonight line judging for my daughters soccer game. After that, all I could think was "I earned an ice cream cone". Thank God my kids misbehaved, so no stop for ice cream. Came home and had a turkey sandwich!

Tomorrow's QUESTON: what is the best movie you have seen in the past year?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    You ROCK Beeps. You are totally my hero.

Best Movie in the last year hmm. Maybe Hunger games though I havent seen not a one of the oscar contenders from last year.

Thank you for the encouragement. I fell off the horse and broke my spirit ha ha. I really do need to find time and go back to read everything everyone posted the last week when I had no wifi. I missed you all! I'm having a cardio fun week to get back into going to the gym. I set my schedule to start lifting again on Sunday. So my personal challenge will be workout related for May. Getting in three workouts a week, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    hey Sam! That's my goal too but I must have a week off due to vacation and I'll count that as my rest week off . What program are you using? Still with New Rules? I started it back up and I completed 4 workouts so far.

I felt skinny earlier today and now I'm a bloated mess! What caused that? the rice? or PMS?
  • samntha14
    Options
    breeze: im the same, actually was just asking the ladies about their non-lifting day hunger experience a little earlier in this topic. and as it happens, i straight off thought what your husband suspects, so yeah... lets just go by that :)
    Eve, I'm way more hungry the next day, perhaps because I workout at night. So I usually do eat my calories back within 24 hours. n the beginning I was able to maintain the 1550 a day I started at, but as I went through the program I NEEDED more calories. By the end of stage 3 I was eating at maintenance 1890 on non-lifting days. I didn't really lose "weight" after that but the inches kept melting off. I'm in a holding pattern now because my workouts since the first of the year have been so inconsistent.
  • samntha14
    Options
    hey Sam! That's my goal too but I must have a week off due to vacation and I'll count that as my rest week off . What program are you using? Still with New Rules? I started it back up and I completed 4 workouts so far.

I felt skinny earlier today and now I'm a bloated mess! What caused that? the rice? or PMS?

Mary I was a bloated mess from my cycle AND eating like Complete *kitten*. I had french fries for the first time in six months. sodium overload for sure. especially when I had them three day in a row yuck. I decided I really don't like french fries. Seriously, I didn't even enjoy them. I want to get apples when I order in the drive through. Which Is another thing I need to stop doing. But I just LOVE the new McD's premium wraps. Low cal full of veggies and just oh so yummy, but I want apples and sugar free iced tea with it. Beeps, I wasn't necessarily overeating. I was just overloading on crap which I haven't done in a really long time, and missing so many workouts (hubby can be blamed for some of it lol). I was so bloated that the scale was actually up this month. That irked me after being so consistent with my weight for five months. I'm getting back to normal I swear. Again, thanks for supporting me and welcoming back.

Some missed questions:
    Sports: I did everything..for one season. I stunk at most sports, but I kept trying to find one to suit me. Track, cheerleading, soft ball (picture the blonde in "A League of their Own who kept missing the cut off man,that was me) swimming (nearly drowned my first meet). I finally gave up and focused on music which I kicked butt at. I'm horribly uncoordinated, except when lifting. Seriously, I walk into walls and tables and trip over my own feet on a daily basis. Beeps, I have athletic onset asthma. If I don't run I don't have a problem, but after you mentioned being benched as a kid, remembered Theodore Roosevelt. He had horrible asthma as a kid, and it was exercise and riding horses that improved his condition so much.

Supportive family: YES!! Hubby kicks me out of the house to go to the gym and compliments my results. (TMI way better sex lol) Everybody else may mention that I'm too skinny, but considering the sources, I don't take it badly. These are the same people who thought I had an eating disorder as a teen when I was doing all those sports. I guarantee I out eat them all Ha Ha.

Yelling at kids is my job :) I do have to stop myself especially at home. When it becomes a daily occurrence it looses the effect.

Eve, My hubby really wants laser eye surgery. My cousin had a very successful surgery two years ago. She lives in Richmond VA. Hubby wants to ditch the glasses because he looses vision on the bicycle. He cant afford another crash..like this weekend, sigh.

Ok all caught up. Catch you tomorrow :)
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    sam: hope your hubby is alright? :O
    i do understand the point of having glasses, they do help obviously, but within time the eyes do adjust and lost from their strength so slowly they become weaker and you need a stronger prescription and the vicious cycle begins. thats my experience anyway, eyes havent worsened as quick when i refused to wear my glasses.
    ok, now im totally chilled about being hungrier the day after :) i have no intention of losing a lot more weight, focusing on the muscle-fat ratio. (like most of us, duh.)

qotd: batman - the dark knight rises. without doubt.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am promising myself I will get better at responding to other people so that my posts aren't all about me..but after I submit my last story today!

Thank you so much...

Somebody said the workouts are super short and I agree...so...I've started doing them one after the other...to bring me a full one hour workout.

It's hard but my friend who is a trainer suggested it. I was pretty fit up until I moved in November so he suggested the beginning program might have been too easy...either way it feels great to actually be working hard now.

I am seeing a difference..both in musculature and it fat reduction...and I"m down 3.6lbs...and I know that you're not supposed to gain muscle while losing fat in a deficit...but I dunno...perhaps I have so much fat I'm defying the rules.

All that said..I can tell I'm not losing muscle and definitely losing fat...so win win...

And I am eating I think an appropriate amount of food. Being veg I have two protein shakes a day to get that in.

So..I feel good, I am satisfied, I enjoy the workouts and I'm seeing positive changes in my body...

I'm very happy so far!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Beeps.... Holy hell woman, you have a rockin' bod! That is SO motivational. You are awesome!

Em... That's annoying about the injury, hopefully it heals quickly! Also congrats on the PR!

I know I'm missing a lot, I don't think I posted yesterday so I feel behind!

I was going to run Tuesday but that ended up being a rest day because I just had so much to do in preparation for yesterday. I did get a nice lifting session in yesterday though! Depending on if we have to travel this evening I may or may not run. I don't mind missing a couple shorter runs because I have been back on track with my lifting since pushing the half marathon back to the fall.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Beeps, WHOA!!! That is a huge transformation!! I've lost track; after 16 months, are you still doing NROL4W? Whatever you're doing, keep it up!

I haven't been checking in here much, though I've been faithful to logging food. I ran/walked a 5K on Saturday after waking up with digestive distress and ended up writhing in pain for a few days. Today is the first day without tummy troubles, and my 6yo decided to throw up! So I'm stuck home again for a couple of days. I had one Stage 1 B exercise left to do before a rest week, but all I've done this week is rest! I'll try to do that last B and then start Stage 2 next week.

My legs are bothering me. I think they're not happy about not doing squats all week, LOL!

I *cannot* lose this momentum! I want to have results like Beeps in a few months!!! I already see an inkling of things to come, just under my ribcage. It's so awesome to see that this really works!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU MY LOVELY NROL4W LADIES! You have motivated me ALL ALONG this journey - and continue to do so, so BOOM!

Nope, cphaneuf, I'm not doing NROL4W just now....this is the order of the last 20 months of my weight-lifting:

1. Body for Life - used a LOT of machines, but got into the pattern of weight-training 3 x per week. Did this program for 4 months.
    2. NROL4W - brought me HERE and got me started on leaving the machines LONG BEHIND and moving to the free weight section. Did this program for 6 months.
    3. NROL4Abs - LOVED the "abs first" protocol in this book. Did this program for 2 months.
    4. NROL4Life - similar to NROL4Abs. Did this program for 1 month.
    5. Venus Index - am currently doing this program (I'm in Phase 2) and I started this program 7 months ago.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start Venus soon..once I learn how to lift properly :)
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Beeps, you are beyond inspirational!!! I hope I can have such amazing results 16 months in! You are HOT!

Cp, I hope all is well in your household soon! Just jump back at it when everyone is better.

Breeze, I would be careful about doing the workouts one right after another. The whole goal of Stage 1 is to familiarize yourself with lifting and to take advantage of the newbie gains in strength and perfect your form. I can't see those things could be optimized by doing the workouts on the same day (especially DLs and squats). I guess since it has worked so well for many of us to do it as its written, why not just stick with the way Lou and Alwyn designed the program? But that is just my very humble opinion. Glad that you're seeing positive changes! And congrats on the weight loss!

Sam, glad you're back!

Sue, I hope you're better.

Everyone else, keep lifting and running and playing soccer! :flowerforyou:

Been a crazy week for me. I haven't lifted since Monday. Maybe I can get it in today. Supercharged is really challenging me. I think I need a diet and lifting break, but I'm trying to wait until hubby is off work in a few weeks. We will see.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    QOTD for Wednesday: I love the Batman movies, so Dark Knight Rises.

QOTD for today: Do you color your hair?
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Beeps, where do I find VEnus? Do I pay for it online? or a book I can buy?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, chubby, I've been coloring my hair since age 19!! And, by 22, I had to be in PERManent dye (not even just semi-permanents)....I'm about 85% grey at this point (I'm 44)....so, every 3 weeks I plunk down UBER-cash at the salon.

manic - Venus is an online subscription program....when I began, I didn't want to plunk down $600 for the Venus program, but they had some "introductory" special of $40 (I think) just for the Stage 1 work-outs. Since I was done with NROL4W (and some other Schuler-NROL series books), I thought "for $40...why not!"

Try this link....

http://community.venusindex.com/