Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    PLEASE REPORT IN WITH YOUR 'STAR CHALLENGE' results for Mon, April 29 - Sun, May 5!

I get a SLIVER STAR this week! (I was 490 calories over....)
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What is the opposite of an NSV? A non-scale failure? I've been feeling nice and strong lately. Been lifting with the hubs, working out, running, making strength gains, tooting my own horn (esp since the scale has gone up...all my fault with the bad eating...and I haven't been beating myself up, just trying to get back on track) and then today I am stumped by....a bookshelf.

I got a new bookshelf for my office and obv assembly is required. So I tell the office "no no I can do it" (after I built my office chair!). Well, 2 hours later it fell on my foot (pre-assembly), the screwdriver took the skin off my middle finger, and I am not strong enough to screw the stupid screws in all the way...what muscle should I be working to improve that??? lol. Needless to say, we have called the building engineer (who I didn't know existed). Thwarted by a bookshelf...sad.

Bad weekend eating wise (ate good for you food...just too much of it), but got in some good workouts. Lifted yesterday and going for a run today! My dog is finally healed enough from all her knee surgeries to start running again AND the hubs has decided to run a bit as well...so we are doing short runs together which is a nice change.

Have great workouts all!
  • lazyjane75
    lazyjane75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies - Bronze star for me last week. Saturday was my birthday and the presence of cake at my house wasn't good for the caloric intake this weekend. There is actually a hefty slice left and I have resisted so far even though it is delicious - yellow cake with strawberry buttercream, homemade. I think I'll give it to the kids for dessert tonight and be done with it. Overall, though,don't think I did too bad, considering.

QOTD - We use PC computers, since we need to for work. But I have an iphone and an ipad. I've had android and windows phones in the past, but they were both too buggy. My husband has an android phone, though, and claims to love it. But his video camera doesn't work and he's always complaining about something. I'll stick with the iphone.

Previous QOTDs - My husband and I dated for 5 years before marrying and lived together for three of those. We had our first child about two years after getting married. I do not dye my hair, though I am starting to get a few grays (I'm 38). I haven't decided whether I will dye it or not. My husband claims to think I should go natural. We'll see - I think I have a few years before they'll be really noticeable.

I am starting stage 4 tomorrow! I do think about what I'll do after NROLFW. I haven't read supercharged. It's sounds cool, but I'm a little put off by the having to create your own workout thing. I'd prefer something already laid out. Or is it not really a big deal? Also, I feel like the NROLFW workouts take a really long time (75-90 minutes including warmup, HIIT, and stretching for Stage 3 - and I don't even rest the full amount of time between sets). Stronglifts seems like it might be more time-efficient?? I'd be interested in what others think about other similar programs.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't know how those of you who work full-time lift and work all day! I've been doing my workouts at around 9am, and I'm frequently drained for the rest of the day, especially on days when I up the weights. Stage 2 A1 wiped me out for the day this morning...dreading what B1 will be like! Yes, I still plod along going to the grocery store, picking up my son, going to after school stuff, but it's with barely any brain function, LOL. My body continues to move against my will. I might be going back to work part-time (from home) and am rethinking it because it would interfere with being able to work out!

lazyjane, I have a ways to go before I finish NROL4W, but I'm really curious about Stronglifts. I think that one's going to be a front-runner for me.

I missed the QOTD, but I gather it's Mac vs. PC? Mac here, and several ones at that. I converted first in 2007 and then my husband a year later. Then he converted at work, too. At his most recent job, he converted his boss/the owner. It will be hard for me to go back to a PC if I ever need to do so for work. I liked my Android phones, until iOS improved. Now I can't wait to ditch my buggy Droid but have to wait until April. I think I abuse my Droids, though. My husband has had the same phones as me and never has issues.

I stopped coloring my hair a year ago. I have curly hair and lots of whites coming in, but I like to think they blend in like highlights. Ha! I have very dark hair, and used to dye it even darker, almost black. I'd love to be a redhead, but am scared to have my hair bleached out first. My husband and I dated for 18 months before getting married, though I would've married him after only a few months.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    booooooooooo, emgel on the bookshelf! I wanted it to be a "techie" SUCCESS STORY!

cphaneuf - "supercharged" is no big deal on how to lay out the work-outs....the charting is the SAME as NROL4W (basically), but you just add in the "move" that you are capable up (so, a level 1 move might be push-ups from desk height, level 2 might be push-ups from a bench, level 3 might be push-ups from the floor, level 4 might be push-ups with feet elevated, etc.) - on different "moves" you might be at a different level - i.e. maybe you aren't level 3 on EVERY SINGLE MOVE, so you choose a level 1 move for your "pull"-move and a level 3 for your "hinge"-move.

Lou Schuler really is THE easiest dude to understand....he lays it all out there for you, I PROMISE!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Silver star for me this week! I ate horrible this weekend.

CP, Lou gives sample Supercharged workouts if you just want to follow them. That's what I've been doing for the most part and loving it.
    Jane, the Supercharged workouts take me right at 50-60 mins with the HIIT included. I can actually fly through them in 45 if I'm in a hurry. He doesn't specify rest periods, so I just keep going until I need a breather. I checked out Stronglifts, but it seemed so incredibly simple after doing NROL4W I was afraid I would get bored. NROL for Abs looked good (and shorter), but it wasn't as tailored to fitness level and seemed like it would get boring as well. There's so many good programs out there it's hard to decide, I know.

Darn, emgel, that's a bummer. At least you got your workouts in over the weekend- that's ALWAYS a great NSV!

I killed my workout today! Upped almost all my weights-woot!
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was 1893 under calories...excluding the day I didn't record due to taking a day off from recording(I also didn't have access to the computer).and like clockwork the workout days I ate less with the non workout days giving me 34 or 43 left over..haha...

Today I worked out..not hungry...
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    chubby - did I *know* that you were doing 'supercharged'?? Glad to read you UPPED your weights. Doing that in ALL categories would be VERY CHALLENGING!

breezedaze - what is your weekly alotment of calories??
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Em, sorry about the assortment of injuries. Take it easy.

CP, there's no secret to getting it done, you just set your priorities. My health became one when I really didn't have a choice any more. I used the "tired" excuse for a LOT of years.I work out more in the early part of the week, Mon, Tue, WEd, Rest Thurs then wo Fri, most Fridays.

Beeps I've only been back tracking for a couple of days. I moved on to my may Challenge, getting in at least three workouts a week.
    Breeze, good job staying under this week.
    I LOVE the New Rules series. I really like life and picking my own exercises. I just wish the stubborn belly will go away, I know I know damn the carbs.

Sue My push press and overhead press never made any progress. Weak shoulders.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Sammy got 99 problems and lifted each one.

It was a day from hell for petty annoyances. One thing after another after another; late to work, displaced from my room to the gym where I will be sharing space with five other classes, and first period recess because the kids aren't allowed outside while testing is in progress. Lunch was an hour late and my blood sugar bottomed out. Shaking while getting the fork to my mouth, Found a hole in my shirt, then had to fight with my kids with their test prep homework and report cards. Too much equipment broken at the gym and dipwads leaving an ungodly mess. Working out was difficult. Then throw in the landlord giving me a hassle about some BS and the kids school looking for overdue tuition for extended day. Top it off with come family drama. Ugh, Couldn't catch a break (But Hubby was awesome. Thank God for small favors.

Ok I'm done. I pulled off a 2x15@95 back squat and 2x15@50 single-leg dead lift and FIFTEEN flat out pushups. I put my angst into my workout and it paid off.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Beeps my nasty total this week is 13277 - that's 1477 over my 11800 and I don't know what that means but I'm guessing it's nada.

I'm back on track, lifted this morning and spot on with my food choices today. Yea for everyone's killer workouts!! I love hearling about 'em all. Totally motivates me to work hard!

Em I am really sorry to hear the bookshelf did you in. Hope you heal quickly! Maybe it will be enough time for your hip to ease up too!

Great job Breeze!!

Cowgirl, you're so right! And yes the one you'll do is the correct answer! Looking back that's always been the issue - I start out gung ho on some program here or there and all is well, until I get bored or don't get any results or don't have fun etc... Lifting works! I love it, I have fun, I get up anticipating the workouts!

This is a crazed week, tomorrow we have a mediation - I have to run the presentation equipment. Wednesday attorneys are here reviewing a few productions in another case - I manage the databases here so I have to be here for that, and work with them, plus all my regular work too. Thursday night, we're headed to Ohio for grandson Cody's 10th birthday weekend and Mother's day. I won't be home until Monday.

I have a new NSV. Tomorrow, I have to wear a business suit - it's the first time I've put one on since I started lifting - actually it's been about 2 years since I've put any of them on. None of them fit well. The one that I loved, I bought right after I lost 20ish pounds, is too big in the waist and of all places, now it's too long in the arms! I actually had to pull an old suit out of mothballs - I bought it when I first started working at the firm and was 15# lighter than I am now. I am amazed!
  • LB2LL
    LB2LL Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sam, I'm glad your workout paid off! I always try and remember that working out in crappy days always helps.

Sue, that's an AWESOME NSV!

Nothing much new here. I lifted yesterday and I will be starting my final A/B workouts for Stage 3. FINALLY. It has taken me forever to get back on track with lifting. I'm hoping to get a solid run in today. It's so beautiful out so I want to get outdoors! I might slip in a walk during my lunch as well.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    hi all - no star for me this week. However, that's because i exercised a lot and burned a ton of calories, so I had "room."

sue - yea for being back on track and yea for old clothes fitting! boo for you losing weight right through your fave suit! ;-)

sam - wow...that sounds like a crappy day!!...but a great workout!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think the hip is on the mend! I took the puppy (she is actually 3 years old so no one yell at me for making a "puppy" run) for a 2 mile run yesterday and we both survived! I am not where near top running shape, but I am going to slowly start working back up (my June 10k may prove a challenge).

For those of you considering what to do next, about 2 weeks ago I started lifting with my husband and we basically do something similar to stronglifts 3x a week (although we do 3x5, not 5x5) each day we hit: quads, back, shoulders, chest, and glutes. He even introduced me to doing dumbbell bench press on a swiss ball and it's SO much harder! really works your core. My point is that this workout is MUCH simpler than NROL and I am really enjoying it and already seeing strength gains!

Sue - that is the BEST NSV!!!!! I LOVE when old clothes don't fit! woot woot!

I pre-logged my day (minus lunch, we go out to lunch at my firm so I never know where we will end up), and it's looking good! my macros are FINALLY starting to line up! Plus with lifting tonight I consider this day a win =D
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    This is what I have for Monday, Apr 29 - Sunday, May 5 STAR CHALLENGE:

Date: Reporting in on May 6, 2013
    Handle of Participant Week 1

Beeps 2011 SILV *
    emgel9
    lcuconley NO*
    chubbycowgirl SILV*
    fratgirl713
    jcjsjones
    suelegal NO*
    mcbellnz
    luvmy4sps
    lazyjane75 BRZE*
    breezedaze PLAT*
  • lcuconley
    Options
    My 2nd 6B workout this morning. OHP even with the push is so tough for me! I have only gone up 5# since Stage 1 and that's hard! Anyone have any suggestions?

sue - Remember to use momentum for the move...you should be all the way up on your toes at the end. Also, you should be able to use more of your stronger back muscles for this move than the FSPP because of where the dumbbells are starting.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    QOTD: I am PC at work, mac at home. Blackberry for the parents, ipods for the kids. Oh, and I have an ipad, too!

So this weekend I did not get a workout on Saturday or Sunday, as we were away for a soccer tournament. I really enjoyed getting a little extra sleep. Yesterday was supposed to be a lifting day, but my sprint workout partner messaged me on Sunday night and so I did that. Tonight is soccer, so I will do my best to lift Wed/Saturday this week...

Here is a question for y'all...would you leave 3 sleeping kids, ages 8, 10 and 12, home alone from 515a to 645a so that you could go to the gym? My hubby is away for 3 weeks and I am trying to convince myself that is going to be OK.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    No, I wouldn't leave the kids home alone....can you "rent" some equipment to get your work-outs done IN-HOME for 3 weeks??
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking and reading all your progresses!! Great work ladies!!

I wanted to ask if any of you are doing this or supercharged at home? I am and plan on continuing to do so and know eventually Ill max out because I don't have a squat rack, etc. as of right now, I'm okay with that but maybe that'll change when the time comes. Any one have experience with that?

I know I'm not part of this...but if your kids are somewhat responsibility and have assess to a phone for emergency, I would totally leave them home for that period of time while sleeping. The phone is a just in case and I'd be sure to tell the oldest where you were in case they wake up. And what exactly is considered an emergency that requires a 911 call. Hope you don't mind that I answered.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    My 2nd 6B workout this morning. OHP even with the push is so tough for me! I have only gone up 5# since Stage 1 and that's hard! Anyone have any suggestions?

sue - Remember to use momentum for the move...you should be all the way up on your toes at the end. Also, you should be able to use more of your stronger back muscles for this move than the FSPP because of where the dumbbells are starting.

Yea I know but I am not too successful with the move.