Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    samntha - how come you eat a "limited amount of animal protein beyond dairy"?? I think, if you really want to dump weight, HIGH protein, LOW (bad) carb is gonna be a better recipe then what you've been doing....
    Ok my head is spinning. To answer the question. I was lacto/ovo vegetarian for six years. My husband was vegan. I only added poultry when I started to develop hypoglycemia after my second child. I eat eggs, and dairy daily. I will eat tuna (I don't like fish generally) and chicken as part of my lunch or when we go out. I only cook soy proteins and meat substitutes at home. It was an agreement we made when I went back on the poultry. Believe me, if I could do it, I'd be vegetarian still. I really don't like eating animals. I haven't had beef or pork in 16 years. I have a friend who is VERY strict vegan who manages to get enough protein for his own power lifting. I need to pick his brain (that being said he's an chef of sorts). I will admit to a level of laziness here. Good home cooking especially vegetarian cooking requires more preparation than I am inclined to do.

Ok on another note, I'm managing to stay under my cals at least a little everyday, even during these tricky two weeks. I did my lame zumba class today for the last time. I lift again on Friday and Sunday. I rocked my step ups last night. Thanks to our conversation here the last week or so.

Mary, I KNOW what you are saying about sonic blasts and shakes. They are made with REAL full fat ice cream, which is why a mini is 500 :) BTW those fro yo places are popping up all over. I kid you not I have 4 by my house within 3 miles along. 5 ounces with a topping is 200 cals and SUPER yummy. great alternative.

Beeps, I apparently suck at maintenance too. ALthough you've at least kept working and counting your cals. I ask how do you feel? Do you feel that weight? Do you look that weight? Do your clothes still fit properly, or are they getting tight like mine? One of my trainer friends is 5'4'' and weights 170 of nothing but muscle. Scale weight can be deceiving.

Sue I love using the smith for reverse rows. As I get lower I know I'm getting closer to a chin up again. I'm half way through my second phase and I may need to add some kind of chin up work.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    just a quick post to say 'goodnight'. Man, I have to get to bed before I eat anything else! Just made the kids lunches and its so easy to snack while doing that! headed to Chicago tomorrow, so no exercise. I will get a run in on Friday am...and LIFT on Saturday!!

Beeps - I worry that you may be pushing yourself too hard. You really went low cal last month and your body's stubbornness may mean you need to back off for a few weeks instead of putting the "petal to the metal". Sam had some really good points about looking and feeling vs real weight gain. Just something to think about: if you fuel your body better, you may be able to get through your circuits with fewer rest periods. I know that you have been super successful with your weightloss and body transformation, so file this in the FWIW file...
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi All . I read all the comments. EVeryone is chatty Cathy :smile: I love it. Can't remember a lot but I "hear ya".

On a non fitness note, I got a new laptop tonight.!! I will have a shift button to help with capitalization so I don't have to stress who is rolling eyes at my grammar and such. Hubs will set it up for me tomorrow.

No lifting today. had a ton of errands . Will get my 2nd and 3rd lifting in on Thursday and Saturday. BAH! I like my weekends off.

Beeps, i really need to buckle down with my calories. I've been staying within the goal or 300ish over . No good choices this week. TOM should be here in a few days. ARen't dreams like that scary!:noway:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,006 Member
    Options
    samntha - thanks for the explanation on your protein intake - it does sound like it would be helpful to talk to/brainstorm with other vegan bodybuilders, for sure.

As for "how do I feel" at this weight....not great. The whole reason I moved to Venus Index was to hit the "golden ratio" that Venus talks about....since I haven't hit it, it remains on my "goal" list. It isn't the scale weight that I care about - it's hitting 42" on shoulders, 26" on waist and 36" on hips. Once I hit those metrics, I don't care about the scale weight. BUT, in order to get my waist/hips to that measurement, it's quite obvious that I have to dump BODY FAT (which = scale weight, at this point).

lcuconley - I think my problem with May was 'consistency' - as in, I had too many restaurant events out and all that salt, etc., just kai-boshed my goals. I'm not going "ultra-low" in my calories for June....I'm going low, and INSISTING ON CONSISTENCY. For me, that is the route to SUCCESS! As soon as I'm "inconsistent" (meaning: disciplined on weekdays and too permissible on weekends), I just bounce up/down the same 2- or 3- lbs.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...no work-out today, I need to go and get quotes on the car damage and start that ball rolling. Sometimes "stress" can help me reduce my appetite, so I'll take it! And, even if it doesn't - I will be out-and-about which tends to move the time quicker.

Hope my boss hurries up, comes in, sees me, and then I can sneak out and run the car damage errands, lol.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    No work-out for me today either...and a business lunch, cocktails and dinner! sigh! I am toying with a "double" tomorrow: lifting in the am and soccer in the pm. I just feel guilty regarding my teammates, as I bring physical fitness to the table as much as soccer skills, and I don't want to be drained when I walk on the pitch.

beeps - I am totally with you on the CONSISTENCY front. It took me FOREVER to work off all of the drinking I did in Atlanta. I think I remember you doing so well in May because you are one to focus on the POSITIVE and your SUCCESSES.

manic - yea for a new laptop!
  • emgel9
    emgel9 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Today is day 4 of good consistent eating for me!!! Yes, it has gotten so pathetic that I am now counting each day. My Husband suggested bbq for dinner tonight and I said NO SIR! go get a rotisserie chicken (we are both working late so no one is cooking). I thought that was good!! I know I have a calorie heavy drinking brunch on Sunday that I am trying to budget for accordingly. Thus far I am running a 10k race sat am and going to the gym sunday before the brunch. I'm really trying to stay away from alcohol because it leads me to make VERY bad food decisions.

Beeps - I am with you on consistency! that is what I am going for this month! And we are moving at the end of the month so I know I'll have to plan CAREFULLY for that.

Today ended up being a day off - tomorrow is lifting, saturday is my race, sunday is lifting! I seriously love those assisted pullups - I know I'm not doing a "real" pull up but i feel like i am! hahaha

Lcu - only do a double tomorrow if you get a great night's sleep and feel up to it!! Btw when I got my body media I was SHOCKED at how little I was sleeping - I averaged 4-5 hours a night desite being in bed for 7+ pathetic

have a great day!
  • emgel9
    Options
    O I forgot! I need your help! all of you! I didn't have anything to bring for lunch today which means I have to buy something. This is always a challenge for me, I can choose from the following places and would love some input making a good low carb decision!
    Here we go:

1. Potbelly (I usually get the tky on skinny wheat bread)
    2. Lebanese Taverna (this is like middle eastern food)
    3. Pho and Rolls (vietnamese pho place)
    4. California Tortilla (I usually get the southwestern salad)
    5. Thai (I get chicken with broccoli in a peanut sauce - no rice)

thoughts?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    O I forgot! I need your help! all of you! I didn't have anything to bring for lunch today which means I have to buy something. This is always a challenge for me, I can choose from the following places and would love some input making a good low carb decision!
    Here we go:

1. Potbelly (I usually get the tky on skinny wheat bread)
    2. Lebanese Taverna (this is like middle eastern food)
    3. Pho and Rolls (vietnamese pho place)
    4. California Tortilla (I usually get the southwestern salad)
    5. Thai (I get chicken with broccoli in a peanut sauce - no rice)

thoughts?

I don't know how many cals you're allocating, but I love PotBelly's wreck salad. I don't have dressing on it or just a dribble of ranch. And Em, congrats on getting a real streak going!

Oh I think the theme today is consistency. I've been all over creation these past few months, and not paying attention to macros much except when I'm in the midst of some challenge or other. I think we should make a challenge for all of us to keep close track of macros. No winner/loser etc., just everyday maybe report on how we did with cals, and macros the day before? Anyone interested? It doesn't need to be formal, but just give us all some accountability!?

This morning, I repeated 7-1 today and happily I didn't squish anything! WOW those 4 sets are MURDER! I really dropped down on weight to get through all the reps, but I'm going to repeat 7 and try to keep the weights higher. I do love this stage so far! I have complained to the gym management though. No fans no air today and the weights area was oppressively hot. I had to take much longer breaks because of it. The gym is mid-renovation. Instead of doing each section, they've started in several places and it's making for a real pain in the neck!

Beeps, hope the car repairs are not expensive and quickly handled. I hate having to do that sort of running around.
  • emgel9
    Options
    ooooooooo a salad from potbelly!! - Good call sue!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    emgel - I'd go for the taboulli (sp?) at the lebanese place - or they have another salad, which has a lemon dressing if I recall, that's very nice - can't think of the name of it, just now!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Car is going in for repairs on Monday - will have a loaner 'til repairs are done. Yes, now the "negotiation" with the airport valet on the "compensation" for the time-sucker this has/is being.

Sue - I think working on my protein macro is a good, ummmmmm, DIVERSION - so I'm in for that. I haven't really paid any attention to macros for quite some time, so since I'm keeping calories low (nothing exciting to track there....), I'd be in for my "daily protein report".
  • suelegal
    Options
    Cool, I'm on for sticking with my cut allocation and macros.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    53 g of protein today.

UTTER FAIL!!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Cool - I like reporting/challenges. I am going to report my calorie deficit (500+), protein in g (110+) and protein percentage(30+).

I just made a 200 calorie investment in trying to be good at my client dinner tonight and got protein, too, which was sorely lacking for the options at lunch today: a pure protein bar. That puts me over my cals for a non-workout day, but I am certain it will keep me from dessert and should keep me from the passed appetizers.

Beeps - Good luck with the valet negotiation!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    COMPLETE FAILURE 24g protein today :embarassed: and 101 carbs

and to make it even worse...... today was a lifting day!

I feel the DOMS setting in. My glutes are starting to feel sore. Tomorrow will be a humdinger of a day. (soreness and TOM supposedly)

I really need something high protein, no carbs, and within 200 calories. Suggestions? My supper was cheerios so I'm thinking a few hardboiled eggs. Maybe?some protein better than none.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    How's this for nconsistency, I'm under by about 500 for the week so far, so what do I do, go over by 500 last night. Tricky Tray fundraiser at work last night with free baked goods. I did break even on prizes though :)
    Going to the gym tonight. Better days. Happy weekend ladies
  • emgel9
    Options
    Yesterday I hit 117 grams of protein - but 153 grams of carbs. Eating 1/4 rotisserie chicken will bump those protein numbers past 100! haha

Yesterday was a good day for me! It was day 4 of good eating, and with a happy hour and my husband bringing in dinner I stayed around 1600 calories, 100+ grams of protein, and only had one glass of wine and no food at my work happy hour! This weekend will be another challenge for me as I have dinner out Saturday and Sunday and brunch on Sunday - I want to keep my good choices streak going!

Today I am going to the gym at lunch for lifting and cardio (I'm thinking: squats, SL DLs, shoulder press, assisted pull ups, and incline DB bench".

i like the reporting protein "challenge"!
  • suelegal
    Options
    Well yesterday was a fail for me too. Not enough protein, too many carbs and nowhere near my cut goal. I have to think before I eat. Out with friends, I ordered a lovely dinner salad, someone ordered a pizza for the table. Don't get me wrong, totally delicious, and I really enjoyed it. I'll never get any of this fat off if I don't think before I eat. I'm going to reread "thin tastes better" fast read, and good reminders and tips.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...last night I had an omelette when I got home, so that bumped my protein up to 87 g. I can live with that.

I'm aiming for 100g, but it'll be super-hard to get that in on my fasting days, frankly. (yesterday was a fasting day)

Anyway, today, I lift! My calories will be "in-check".

I need to REALLY be paying attention to my zzzzzzzzzz's....I've got a pretty steep "sleep-deficit" building right now and it's getting pretty hard to make it through the days. This weekend, I have son's baseball tournament, but that involves a LOT of sitting - which may not be "sleeping", but at least it is "resting" - so am hoping i'm feeling WAY better come Monday morning.