Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    How many of you guys use a trainer at the gym? I'm nearing the end of stage 1 and as I'm looking forward the moves seem to get more and more complex and I'm thinking I may need to have someone show me how to do them. I'm concerned about getting the form right and I don't want to injure myself.

Jessica, don't worry about going to the gym. Personally, I've found that the guys in the weight room are very polite and friendly!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Jessica - I agree with what everyone is saying about getting started at the gym... I was nervous at first too about going into the "free weight" area, but I was walking around like I owned the place in no time! :laugh:

Ellie - I never used a personal trainer during this program (mainly because I would have to pay extra on top of my normal gym membership). I do however print copies from the book and bring them with me when Im starting a new stage. I may look like a dork with my little clipboard, but I would rather have the instructions right in front of me if I question how to do the move! I also suggest YouTube-ing the moves before you get started. There are a TON of great videos that show proper form for pretty much every move.

Birdy - Congrats on your checkup!! I think that sometimes its too easy to get caught up in what the scale (or even the measuring tape) says - when you have to keep in mind we're doing this to improve our overall health!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Yes, the cost is my main concern. I'm certainly not above bringing my book in or my phone to watch videos of the moves :smile: I think I'm just generally freaked out by anything that requires using the olympic barbell, not sure why I'm not over that yet!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    I used a personal trainer so that:

a) form-checks were constant;
    b) moves could be tailored to my strength-level (meaning, the front side of my body WAS way stronger than my back side, starting out, and that difference made certain movements very, VERY difficult - so modifications were in order while strengthening particularly weak muscles),
    c) moves could be tailored to my body type (very long legs/arms and very short torso),
    d) comfort with the weight room (in general),
    e) comfort with the routines.

So, yes, it cost me extra, but I'm WAY more confident in what I am doing than I would have otherwise been. I won't see my personal trainer until the start of Stage 6, given that Stages 4 and 5 are repeats (mostly) of Stages 2 and 3. Also, my trainer gave me a TON of different "ab exercises" that I can sub in when I'm bored of the swiss ball/flexions (which happens ALL THE TIME).
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Birdy - Congrats on the good A1C level! I'm prediabetic and had really awful gestational diabetes with both my kids (ended up on insulin and had some complications). I'm really wanting to get my numbers down to "normal" rather than "prediabetic" without the use of meds when I go for a physical in June and I know they will be doing an A1C. Great NSV!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Did I say Stage 1 B was easy for me? If I did , I spoke too soon. My legs and bottom feel so restless and achy. I want to walk today but not sure if I have the energy.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I survived! It went really well. I now know how to use the smith machine. :-) And I can squat a lot more on it than I expected.

The trainer showed me how to use different machines/exercises and critiqued my form. He actually said I had good form so yay for me. He also showed me how to do a Romanian deadlift on the smith machine, in lieu of regular deadlifts, because of my back injuries. He said I'm less likely to lose form and get injured, and it will strengthen my back quicker. I'm okay with it. I actually feel more comfortable doing it than regular deadlifts.

Whew. I'm tired.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Birdy - BIG congrats on the A1C levels. I really don't know what that means, but you improved and that's all that matters!!!

Jessica - glad things went well with your trainer!

ellie - I did not use a personal trainer, but I have lifted before. Although it's been almost 20 years (since high school), I was already very familiar with all of the exercises in Stage 1.

Beeps - didn't you mention doing bikram yoga previously? Do you do any yoga now? Yoga has totally helped me increase my core strength - especially the balance poses.

manic - even a slow walk will probably help loosen things up.

Do any of you warm up with weights before you get to your lifting weight? I do a 5-8 minute warm up on the elliptical, but I found that if I warm up with lower weights on the actual lift that I'm getting ready to do, that I can increase my weights better. I don't remember if he mentions anything in the book about this.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Jen-- do you do a full set when you warm up? I've been thinking about this. I normally do a cardio warm up, but decided I was doing too much before lifting. I reduced my time, but I've been thinking about warming up with weights.

I do think he talks about it in the book.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Jessica - I generally do about 5 reps with two different weights. For example this morning on deadlifts, I did 5 reps at 85 lbs, 5 reps at 95 lbs, then started my regular sets at 105 lbs. Then I did the same thing for the overhead press and the lat pulldown. I didn't do any additional warm ups for lunges and crunches because the weights aren't that heavy yet.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I don't have the book in front of me to direct you to the right spot but he does recommend a warm up with light weights before you begin the actual work. I'd never done that before until this program and I'm so glad I do it now. I do feel better prepared when I head into the actual workout portion. He said at least do a warm up set for the first "main" exercise and then any additional exercises as you see fit. I believe in the later stages he actually recommends 2 warm up sets. One with light weight and then a second with more (50-70% of your target weight I think?). I feel like this benefits me more than the cardio warm up, I only do a couple of minutes of that.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    jamk - thanks, I'll have to look back thru the book when I get it back from my mom :happy:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I was warming up on the elliptical but now the workout is so long that I just don't have time. I do a five minute warm-up using the moves from the book. I also do weighted warm-ups, at least when I was pushing heavy about half way through stage 1. I followed his method of doing of 50% max weight for 8 reps, 75% max weight for 8 reps then starting my heavy sets. I did that for squats, deads, seated rows and lat pull downs. Don't have to for the other moves because by them your are very well warmed up. Don't need to do that yet in Stage 2 because the weights are so much lighter. You really DO NOT want to just walk to the squat rack and bang out 120 lbs on the first go. Working up to it with warm up sets is a lot safer.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I agree with the warm-ups....I also agree that I'm totally time-crunched in the gym. So, after about a 5-minute jog and stretch, I only do warm-up on the first exercise - usually 1 set at 50% of weight and 1 set at 75%. Then I just roll through the program.

jen - I did do bikram for 2.5 years. I quit in July. My balance is FINE, if I'm not moving (i.e. bikram) - so, I think that means my "static" balance is good. My "dynamic" balance, not so much (so, for example, when doing the one-legged DB deadlift thing in Stage 3, where you tip at your hips and with one leg behind and the DB's in front....yeah, I was trying not to hop around on one foot through most of that first set!). I'm not really worried about my balance....I feel like I'm pretty strong, there (although my personal trainer says I have weak ankles and it's true that my ankles are wobbling all over the place when I do stuff).

And, I'm not worried about my core strength, either. It's stronger than it was at Xmas time....it'll get stronger every time I work-out. So, it's all coming....just (as with many of us), not as fast as I'd like.

I'll get there....
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Jessica - I generally do about 5 reps with two different weights. For example this morning on deadlifts, I did 5 reps at 85 lbs, 5 reps at 95 lbs, then started my regular sets at 105 lbs. Then I did the same thing for the overhead press and the lat pulldown. I didn't do any additional warm ups for lunges and crunches because the weights aren't that heavy yet.

Just dropping by to say.... That's an awesome deadlift!

And I'm a terrible warmer uper. I do jumping jacks or jump rope for a couple of minutes then hit it. My husband keeps telling me I'm gonna regret it some day... What Jamk said is my understanding, too, of the best way to warm up.

And Beeps, you're a bad@ss for doing bikram.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Oh come on....bikram isn't anything special!! In fact, some of the fattest people I know march on into bikram and work through the program just fine!!

hush on that....

I mean, I *like* the theory of bikram (ANYBODY can do it!!)....but, other than the bikram instructors themselves, there wasn't very many bodies in the room that I wanted to have. And, the bodies I *did* want to have, were, admittedly, 20+ years younger than mine!

So, I think anyone can do bikram.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    and, yes, whoever is doing the 105 lb deadlift...hats off to you! That's no slouch, right there!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Beeps - it's done in a heated room though right? I'm a total whiney little girl about the heat. I sweat like crazy when I run in A/C - like I've been through a rain storm. I'm not graceful at the best of times... I can just see my clumsy self doing a face plant because my foot slips off my leg or something.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    bwahahah i saw the one *kitten* dude in the gym today (one of the 2 guys who have ever given me grief in the weightroom and attempted a confrontation). he was also doing deadlifts and making all kind of crazy"this is sparta"noises.

guess who was deadlifting more than him?? YUP, you guessed it, THIS girl. also ran into him at the lat pull down stations. I was lifting (well pulling) the same amount he was... bwahahahaha. i saw him looking over at it too.