Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it , Mesha! :laugh: good job on your lifting. I commented on the Stage 1 thread about your lifting too.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Good for you Meshashesha!!!
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!!

I am just curious what people do lifting wise after they finish NROL...?

I'm only half way through stage 1, so I still have a long way to go. Always looking ahead I guess :-)
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!!

I am just curious what people do lifting wise after they finish NROL...?

I'm only half way through stage 1, so I still have a long way to go. Always looking ahead I guess :-)

I wondered the same thing. I'm also looking ahead. :smile:
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    @mesa - that's awesome! Good for you

@388 - I plan on doing strong lifts after new rules.

@beeps - I know bikram is done in a heated room, but are the moves similar to ashtanga/vinyasa yoga?
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Ive also been hearing a lot about the stronglifts and am considering doing that after NROL. I definitely will continue lifting heavy though - thats for sure!

I posted this over in the Stage 3 thread, but thought I would repeat it over here. After I finish Stage 3 (doing my last workout today) I have decided to take a bit of an extended break before I start Stage 4.

A crossfit gym (or I guess theyre called boxes) not too far from my house offered a one month deal on Living Social and I totally jumped at the opportunity. I have been really interested in crossfit for a while now but just couldnt get over how pricey it was... so when I saw this deal (which was about 50% off!) I couldnt pass it up!

I will still be poking around the group and these threads though so I wont be completely MIA... And I will be jumping right back into Stage 4 after my one month hiatus!
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Mesha-- that is SO awesome!!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Mesha - sweet! I love it.

DarkAngellEye - so very jealous! Hope you have a great time.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Thinking about doing stage 2 only 2 days a week and keeping my Zumba or step class on Wednesdays. I miss it. And the only way to get a class in, because they are fun and keep me motivated is to go on Tuesdays or Saturdays sacrificing a rest day and having to pay for childcare at the gym. Neither are good options right now. I do want to get to the point where i can lift my body weight. I'm still at 120 on a back squat and 115 on the deadlift and the stage 2 weights are lower for the smaller muscle groups. IDK.
  • heymom93
    heymom93 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @Mesha - That is fantastic - love it!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    mesha - your post MADE MY DAY....totally the best post of the day.

birdy/jen - bikram is done in a hot room - 109 degrees. And, yes, I thought the heat would finish me off, too....but, as an asthmatic, the heat and the humidity ended up doing HUGE favours for my lungs!! (And for softer skin and better hair, too!) That was actually the best thing about bikram. The heat becomes quite addictive....I live in a cold, dry climate! The problem is that it's the SAME DAMN 26 POSES every single time. Over and over and over. I got bored after about a year....but stuck it out for another year-and-a-half. And then, I just had to find something else to do. Period.

I'm kind of the same with weight-lifting....I'll get bored and have to make sure I'm switching up my program quite often - which is good for me, mentally, but also good to keep my body confused.

I asked this on another board, too, but for the benefit of me (and others), darkangel, what is "crossfit"??
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    To the gal who posted about "how much weight you can lift at the end of NROL4W" - that really is a "that depends" type of question. But, I think if you comb through Stage 7 board here, you'll find the names of a number of ladies who have finished the program and I expect, if you private message them, they would be willing to share their stats with you.

My goal, at the end, is to be able to do 3 sets of 10-push-ups, from the floor, to be able to do chin-ups (not sure how many?? 3??) and to be able to do pull-ups (again, not sure how many?? I'll say 3 or 4). I didn't even know what a back squat was when I started, so I had no expectation of what "weight" I'd be able to do....eventually I'd like to be able to squat my body-weight - but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that by the end of NROL4W. And, same with the deadlift....I didn't even know what this was before I started NROL4W - so, I had no expectations here. Again, I would like to be able to deadlift my body weight - but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that by the end of NROL4W.

Someday, I'll do all of these things. And, I'm actually hoping that I can do all of these things before the end of 2012. I figure that is a fair and reasonable goal.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    Options
    From the research I've done about CrossFit, it is a relatively intense workout including weight lifting, kettlebell work, sand bag work and body matrix stuff like burpees and box jumps. Although I havent checked it out yet, I think they focus around a workout of the day (WOD) where they give you a certain number of exercises to complete and then they time you on how long it takes you to complete it. Everything I've read says that the "coaches" really focus on making sure you have good form and are there to help push you to do the best you can.

I'm really excited to check it out because it sounds like everyday the workout is different and its always challenging so it seems impossible to get bored with the "routine" - which is something I always struggle with. I have my intro class this Saturday so I'll check back in with a better report of exactly what it is after I figure it out for sure!
  • DarkAngellEyes
    Options
    Honestly - it was this youtube clip that really piqued my interest about it... it definitely gives a better visual than my lame attempt at an explanation! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M
  • kcfaber
    kcfaber Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    That's my understanding of Crossfit too and it is supposed to be awesome!! No access here otherwise I would try to do it too. Think you will really like it.
    Catching up with old posts: Birdy: That is HUGE about your AIC!!! All my patients have Type 2 so that is my frame of reference and I would be beyond thrilled to see that kind of improvement in their numbers in such a short time. keep at it!
    Mesha: That is classic about the guy at your gym. Loved it.
    Beeps: I find yoga so hard because I am not remotely flexible. But it is part of this P90x thing and that DVD is 90 minutes. So hard but committed to it and know I will see improvements if I stick with it, as in all things.
    Glad everyone is sticking with it and enjoying the program and in awe of everyone's weights even this early into it.
    I'm on Week 2 Day 3 of P90x and really enjoying the variety. yesterday was the plyometrics/jumping one which is brutal so kind of exhausted today. Thinking about upping my calories again. Currently aiming for 1800 as that is what program guide recommends but think it might not be enough as supposedly each workout is in the neighborhood of 500 calories. And not supposed to be eating back exercise calories according to the guide.
    Anyway that's where I'm at but I'm still checking this board a lot (maybe compulsively) as well as Eat More to Weight Less as seems the highest concentration of like minded supportive people.
  • GeorginaMcKee
    GeorginaMcKee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just started Stage 3 and am heading to the gym for B! So far so good and I am definitely seeing and feeling a difference in my leg strength:) I really like these workouts and am enjoying all the new and interesting moves! Keep it up everyone!!!

This is a random question but I thought maybe some of you would have experience you could share:

I"m wondering about Runstar as a good ap for tracking my calories/distance on walks and other workouts. Anyone ever used it? I have CardioTrainer now and love it except I really would love to be able to post to my Daily Mile page! Runstar would let me post to DailyMile and it seems to do the other stuff too. Anyone used it before?

Will Runstar let me edit the calorie burn manually?
    Does it have a nice widget that updates my calorie burn like Cardio Trainer does?
    Does it intergrate with MFP at all?

Thanks for any advice!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The best crossfit video ever -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufVcD2_2dXg (ETA - might want to turn the sound down if you're at work or have little ones around - there's bad language in the song.)

Love, love, love the crossfit idea. I think it varies from gym to gym, but they build a sense of community and competition with each other and with themselves. The workouts are different every day, and they post stats on a big board for everyone to see their rankings. There are challenge workouts that serve as a benchmark - search for "Crossfit Fran" or "Filthy Fifty". So so amazing seeing these women who are super strong, but still lean and sexy. Yeah... I'm a wanna be. LOL
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Here's a very comprehensive review of crossfit:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/03/01/a-beginners-guide-to-crossfit/

They seem quite varied depending on the franchise owner.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    They seem quite varied depending on the franchise owner.

This has to be true, because I was totally excited about Crossfit until I visited the one closest to my house. Very cult-ish, giant lunky dudes hanging out, crazy expensive, total turn off. I seriously could not get out of there fast enough.

One of my facebook friends is constantly re-posting stuff from the Crossfit page, and it is very self-righteous, as in, if you don't do Crossfit, you aren't really working out.

I hope that is just the case for this one location, but it definitely gave me a negative view of the whole thing, which is why I love NROLFW because you can do it virtually anywhere for minimal cost. I do wish I had the benefit of one-on-one training, but I can buy those by the session at my gym as needed.

Anyway, not trying to be totally negative, if you love Crossfit, go for it! I can definitely see the appeal as they do heavy lifting!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    There are actually a few boxes near my home or work, there are some aspects of Crossfit that appeal and some that don't. I really do miss the camaraderie of working out with a group. But it is nice to not have to share my equipment since I just lift in my garage now.