Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Beeps - the crossfit video link I posted was probably their showcase athletics, and some of it was from their competition games. So that's the best. I've also seen videos where they scale the workouts so that even the sweet little ole grannies can do them. Again, the attitude probably varies from gym to gym.

Samantha!!! What the heck does your husband do? And that's funny about reading the book!

Welcome Lozze! I lifted for 3 months without gloves and developed horrendous callouses. I think the whole "don't use gloves" thing is ridiculous. Especially for women who don't want manish hands. I use gloves now, and I can't tell a bit of difference with my grip or performance. But my hands are nice and soft again.

Today was my run. Tomorrow I'll finish Stage 3! Any opinions on Stage 4 yet? I guess I could go look at that board...
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I've heard that gloves can somewhat interfere with developing grip strength or "feeling" the weight so it may affect your form. That may be true to a degree but I just chalk this whole anti-glove thing up to dudes just trying to impress other dudes by how much pain, discomfort, scars, they can put up with. I wear gloves. And if I could find pink gloves, I'd probably wear those.

And I have a shoulder pad for my bar when I do squats. Even when I position it correctly above my lats, that damn thing still hurts once you put heavy weight on it!

I want to focus on my lifting not whether my skin is chaffing. YMMV
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    My grip strength is continuing to develop - even with using gloves. I guess if I was trying to lift >200 lbs, "grip" might be an issue, but it isn't yet. (Mind you, I also haven't done the Stage 6 routine to develop pull-ups/chin-ups, yet....) - so I'm fine with keeping my girlie hands safe from wounds!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome ladies! The gloves I have are fingerless is that normal for weights?
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome ladies! The gloves I have are fingerless is that normal for weights?

Yes, they are supposed to be fingerless, and I agree with what all the other ladies have said. They are indispensible to my workouts. I was getting really bad callouses and it hurt to grip the weights. I read the same thing about going gloveless on stumptuous.com but I disagree.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I had some old gloves i used to use for body pump, fingerless, padded palm, they're great, and go in the washing machine. I think we'll still get callouses, but not as bad. They don't seem to interfere with grip. Jamk- i've heard of the pads that go around the barbell, apparently they're disparagingly known as 'tampons', presumably by big blokes in the gym. I throw a towel round my neck if it hurts, and am glad i work out at home away from judgement! Anyway we'll be building up back muscle pretty quickly, that'll give the barbell a cushion.

I'm so glad this is my week off, my work sched has been horrible due to training, going from night shifts to day training, back to nights, i'm a total ZOMBIE. Luckily tonight i don't have too many flights to sort out.

Really looking forward to stage 3 tho, looks lots more fun than stage 2.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    And if I could find pink gloves, I'd probably wear those.

I have two pair of pink and black ones. :smile:

There's no way I'd go without wearing gloves and risk getting "man" hands. It's enough I'm being told that I'll get "bulky" from lifting weights!:huh:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    My husband met with Allen Lim, the sports nutritionist who wrote the feed zone, and it's a calorie threshold NOT a protein threshold but that is in the context of endurance athletes who have to eat as they go. I was trying to look it up, but if I remember correctly is was 400 cals an hour. My husband seriously cannot eat enough in a day to fuel his body. On high days he needs close to 8000 cals.

8000 calories???!!! Is he a professional athlete? Forgive me if you've already talked about this.
    Yes, a professional cyclist (not that he makes actual money though LOL) He usually needs between 3000 and 4000 regular days. 8000 is for super training days. Like when he does a century or more. He's also vegetarian so feeding him is a pain. He used to complain because I ate so bad and now he complains because I feed myself better than I feed him. Now after reading about his nutritional needs, I understand why he complains. My quandary is that he needs LOTS of Carbs for endurance training and I need LOTS of protein for strength training ( and i have guilt about the amount of animal product I am eating these days.)

ANy advice on balancing the nutritional needs of everyone in the household, including two growing boys, one of whom is also a cyclist like daddy and soon to be a gymnist?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    holy cow, sam, on your hubby being a vegetarian!! That must present it's own challenges - especially for 8,000 calories!! (Does he have to eat 19 hours a day just to consume the vegetarian value of 8,000 calories - like an elephant would??????????????)

Hey, I did a 110 second plank, today!
  • jamk1446
    Options
    i've heard of the pads that go around the barbell, apparently they're disparagingly known as 'tampons', presumably by big blokes in the gym.

See!! More dudes talkin' smack! My coach used to tease me that if I was going to wear gloves to make sure they match my pocketbook.
    I'm so glad this is my week off, my work sched has been horrible due to training, going from night shifts to day training, back to nights, i'm a total ZOMBIE. Luckily tonight i don't have too many flights to sort out.

That's a tough schedule, hope that levels out for you.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I just can't keep up! You ladies are rockin' the weights! i had a poor day, 6B, but completed it on Tuesday. Looking forward to how things go tomorrow. Ran a bit today and am tracking calories and weight to try to pin point my TDEE. I would love to know what my body is really using so I have a target to shoot for. I always use gloves, they make me feel like the buff woman I soon will be! :laugh:

I also use the towel over my shoulders for the squats, work fine for me. Always great to read the "chatter" here. I feel like a learning sponge!
  • samntha14
    Options
    holy cow, sam, on your hubby being a vegetarian!! That must present it's own challenges - especially for 8,000 calories!! (Does he have to eat 19 hours a day just to consume the vegetarian value of 8,000 calories - like an elephant would??????????????)

Hey, I did a 110 second plank, today!
    Nice Plank Beeps! I hate them. I'm at 30x2 to get the full 60 sec.

It was more challenging when he was vegan. He was also a very over-weight vegan because he didn't know how to eat. I forced the conversion after we had kids because it was too time consuming to make separate meals and read EVERY LABEL in the store. I don't think he's ever actually eaten the 8000 he should on those crazy training days. His weight loss totally stalled about a year ago I think mostly because his body refuses to shed that last bit of fat from his underfeeding. (I heard Micheal Phelps does 12000 during peak training season.) I want to feed everybody better. The more I learn, the more I feel it's important. Now that he's crossed the bridge into being an actual professional rider, good fuel is even more vital. To think I used to complain about the cost of his protein bars and shakes and stuff. Now I buy them without him even asking because we both need them. Looks like I'm getting the rice cooker LOL.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Hope it's OK to join in here :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for avoiding callouses? My hands are getting gross and bumpy. On the JP Fitness forum someone said don't use lifting gloves but my grip is struggling at times and my hands are getting worse. I've dug out an old hand cream and hope that will help, but any advice? Thanks!
    Welcome!! Straps bad. Gloves good! Mary Kay Satin hands, awesome LOL. I totally said the same thing as the weights started to increase. Lifting like a man in awesome, rough hands like man is not. I wear the half-finger sort myself.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Beeps- congrats on your plank!

Samantha- I can't imagine trying to do all that as vegan. Not knocking anyone for trying though, that takes some serious dedication to fuel your body at that level even when you're omnivorous.

Mary Kay Satin Hands!! It's been so long since I've had that. Good stuff!
  • samntha14
    Options
    I was actually rubbing in my emollient cream as I typed that trying to soften my callouses :wink:
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My husband met with Allen Lim, the sports nutritionist who wrote the feed zone, and it's a calorie threshold NOT a protein threshold but that is in the context of endurance athletes who have to eat as they go. I was trying to look it up, but if I remember correctly is was 400 cals an hour. My husband seriously cannot eat enough in a day to fuel his body. On high days he needs close to 8000 cals.

8000 calories???!!! Is he a professional athlete? Forgive me if you've already talked about this.
    Yes, a professional cyclist (not that he makes actual money though LOL) He usually needs between 3000 and 4000 regular days. 8000 is for super training days. Like when he does a century or more. He's also vegetarian so feeding him is a pain. He used to complain because I ate so bad and now he complains because I feed myself better than I feed him. Now after reading about his nutritional needs, I understand why he complains. My quandary is that he needs LOTS of Carbs for endurance training and I need LOTS of protein for strength training ( and i have guilt about the amount of animal product I am eating these days.)

ANy advice on balancing the nutritional needs of everyone in the household, including two growing boys, one of whom is also a cyclist like daddy and soon to be a gymnist?

Have you watched the documentary Forks over Knives? It's about a whole foods/plant based diet and there is a mixed martial arts athlete on there that is vegan. Ever since I watched it, I've been intrigued how he could have so much muscle and not get the amount of protein that I usually see as a recommendation for strength training. I haven't had time to look into it much yet, but I was going to.
  • samntha14
    Options
    I'll have to look into it. Thanks for telling me about it. I have no idea either. as far as I know he NEVER hits his protein OR calorie goals. He was tracking for a while but gave it up. I'm going to finish reading the Feed Zone and see what changes we can make here at home.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    My session with my trainer didn't go as great today. I thought I had made it clear I was already doing a program and wanted to stick with it. He had me doing TRX. It was a tough workout, but not what I was really wanting.

I SO have to get better at speaking up.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Beeps - AWESOME PLANK!

"Tampons" are what they call the squat bar pad?!? Lmao! Jamk - I can see you walking in the gym with a pink "tampon" to strap on the bar. I use the pad too.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I am a fan of the tampon, the heavier I get. Like always, I don't give a rat's *kitten* what the dudes in the gym think about my regimen.

About the plank - I'm not sure doing a plank for 2 minutes proves ANYTHING....I'd rather go back to the 60-sec planks and make them tougher (i.e. doing them on a bench/swiss ball, or one leg raised, or whatever). And, I'm thinking I'll enjoy the 2-minute prone cobra even LESS.

But, a lady has to do what a lady has to do, right????????????