Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ROAARRRRR - lifting done! Squats, good mornings, leg curls, leg extensions, standing calf raises, hanging leg raises and crunches.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I can do a pull up and someone very concerned for my well fare said I looked like I lost weight. I wasn't a compliment, but I probably need to check it out.

We went for an Easter morning MTB ride. Best morning ever. I have a few new bumps and bruises, but my kids had my laughing and smiling he entire time :)

Yesterday was hard, today will be worse. Gram's wake and I'm mad at my family. Hoping my stores of strength don't run out before Thursday.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    runzalot - it takes me about 65 minutes to complete the weight-lifting portion of my workout.

manic - weight isn't the right snap-shot to focus on - I truly believe this! Focus on your inches and as they shrink, you will have the shape you seek!

Pmagnan - X-sets are working opposite muscle groups of the body super-set style. So, the first "group" in my (yesterday) X-set workout was push-ups and bent over DB rows. The second set was weighted hip thrusts (which I subbed in for back squats) and deadlifts (which I do American style). The third set was pull-overs and lateral raises. The fourth set was biceps and triceps.

lawlorka - you are just about done!!!!

Sue - BOOM! for you gf!

I expect you have lost weight, samntha....grief has a way of keeping eating at bay!

No lifting, today....am trying to fast as long as I can, instead!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sam, :flowerforyou: and big hugs.

Sue, you amaze me!

lawlorka!, congrats.

Beeps, I know. This is a forever cycle for me. I wonder if I'll ever be the size and shape I hope for. It's vicious. I have very little self control and am a emotional eater. I have the motivation but never follow through. :sad: Beginning to feel like it is useless.

Pmag, I missed your question. I know rows work on back if you squeeze the blades together and it work on arms too.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    manic - "for everything there is a season"....you may, in fact, be tackling this scale-weight/tape-measure issue at the WRONG time, in your life....only YOU can answer that question!

But, when I think back to when I was HEAVIEST (in the sense of scale weight....) and was LEAST happy with my body, it was at the time in my life when, to try and CHANGE things about myself, would have resulted in the LEAST success. Meaning: I was MOST unhappy with my body post-pregnancy....when my babies weren't sleeping, neither was I, I was working full-time, plus completing a master's degree, had very little time for (appropriate/thoughtful) exercise (although I did do cardio 3- or 4- times per week!!!!!!), etc., etc.

If I had even TRIED to make all these "substantial" changes to my own body, I would have FAILED. For sure. And then I would have GIVEN UP and that would have gotten me NOWHERE FAST!

Instead, I sucked it up, I wandered life in my less-than-pleasant physique. I hoped for RELIEF.

One day, IT showed up! When "the student was ready to learn, the teacher appeared"....and here I am!!! TA-DA!!!!

(I know, I know.....all these bad quotes, lol.....I didn't write 'em, I'm just quoting 'em!)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Manic, you and I could be the same person. I found it very easy to commit to running. I have found it much harder to commit to weightlifting. Have been trying for years. Finally, I have a really good feeling about this go around. There's a really good quote about comparing yourself to others... it's really good... :laugh: Just don't do it :flowerforyou: I don't know how long you've been working on your fitness but I have found that as long as I'm consistent, I'm much more forgiving of my flaws. My *kitten* has been touching the back of my thighs since middle school. That same *kitten* has run four half marathons.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Sam, you go girl (Re: Doing the pull up)!! I hope to be there someday!!

Just coming down my Zumba high...aaahhhh......
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Jamaica-we each picked three goals that we are reporting on for the next 6 weeks. 3/3 means I have eaten all my protein , lifted three times per week and have ridden my bike to work at least once.

Sam exercise and laughter might be the best thing for you - congrats on the pull-up and making it to the gym during such a hard time.

Sue I want to try versa grips!!!

I lifted today but I shortened the workout a bit because I didn't have much time. It was a day off work and when I don't workout early in the morning I usually run out of time.
    I went rollerskating which I love but my youngest didn't want to skate with me.I have had a tough time with both my girls lately.the older one told me she doesn't look like me and the youngest told me she doesn't act like me. They are six and ten for crying out loud.
    I had a painful day which makes my feelings extra sensitive.....
    I should bike tomorrow but I might need five extra minutes of sleep.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Good morning my friends, I expect this will be the only time I have today to say 2 words as work is very busy and I have 2 outside appointments this morning.

Yesterday was my birthday and I knew I'd eat trash so I walked fast everywhere to give myself a bit of calorie room but it didn't matter really - I knew I'd eat whatever and I did. The good news about this birthday is that I'm now 62 and I get to take part in more sr citizen discounts (movies, commuter tickets etc.) and I feel much younger than 62 sounds to me! Win win as I see it.

<this maybe LONG>

Mary, I know you feel challenged by what you see on yourself and I really do relate. I have fat thighs. I have always had fat thighs - as a child the mean kids called me "air craft carrier" (my maiden name is Carrier) and "thunder thighs" - and I have always dreamed of having a slim appearance. Here's my reality. I'm not going to be that. But I never have been able to say 100% ok, that's not who I 'm going to be, so let's make the best me I can. As a high schooler, I had horrendous body image, I always thought I looked heavier than I really was, and I had an eating disorder in a comparatively small way thankfully - I would binge and purge. I'm grateful I could never get past the purge thing but I grew up in the Twiggy era so you can understand where that came from. I think it's equally as bad these days for every child growing up and I HATE that advertisers show only those air-brushed svelte super models in the over abundance of fashion and weight loss/fitness magazines that are published.

Over the yearsI have occasionally been ok with having the heavy lower body, But most often I would eat myself into oblivion, then diet in the extreme until I dropped 20-30, then get frustrated or sick & tired of starving and eat into oblivion again. My recent goals have not been to lose weight because that just throws me back into that whole up/down scale weight frantic obsessiveness. I really try to just go by how my clothes are fitting and stay away from the "I gained xx pounds, I HAVE TO DIET TIL THEY'RE GONE!" - I'm more educated about the fluctuations, and I'm more understanding of who I really am vs who I think I should be. But it doesn't ever stay with me 100% of the time and sometimes I just go nuts, binge out (half a pizza followed by a whole pint of ice cream, followed by whatever chocolate, candy or whatever else might be in the house). Then I'm miserable, filled with self-loathing and stepping on the scale 100 times a day to see what damage I've done and how much I'm losing as I starve myself to take it off.

Weight lifting is THE only improves my self image in the long term - because when I'm moving weights in the "boys" section I feel strong, and capable and fit. I only need to roll my fat butt out of bed and get to the gym and I can forgive myself if I skip a day or even a week because it only slows me down slightly and I can always still move decent weight and still feel strong.

I won't tell you to stop worrying to accept or whatever else because I KNOW YOU - you are me, and I know it doesn't work for me either. Just keep lifting, and enjoying all those great feelings you get when you do. The rest? Yell at me when you feel so frustrated that you could scream. I will give you a cyber hug and commiserate with you. I'll be right there with you girl.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Wow, you ladies are chatty!

Temeika, we're doing an 8-week challenge to help keep ourselves accountable. We picked some goals for a ourselves and score ourselves on a weekly basis. I'm keeping track of everyone's scores so we can get a look at how we did over 8 weeks. If you want to jump in, let me know. Most of us are doing calorie, lifting, or macro goals.

Bepee, I do miss Zumba! But my knees already feel better and my body is already harder since I stopped a few weeks ago. And I'm not imagining it- my husband commented on it as well....

Mary, what Sue and Beeps said. It's so frustrating to be a woman. We all see ourselves in the harshest way. But I will add that I have seen some amazing transformations from pears like ourselves. I know you and I have very similar shape and size. Look at Beeps, her shape is completely different. My shape is different than it's ever been(I can PM you some bikini pics so you can see all my jiggles if it makes you feel better, LOL!). My thighs will always carry the fat, but they're strong and my shoulders are starting to balance them out. Keep focusing on strength goals, get your protein, eat veggies- you will get there! I wish I could send you some virtual motivation because I know how frustrating it is to want to push yourself but have no motivation. Like Beeps said, it will come when the timing is right. Hugs! You've had a rough year. Don't be too hard on yourself!

Sue, you are such a rock star!!!!!

Rocky, you're always so consistent!

Runz, you and I are opposites- I hate running, love lifting. Glad that we're not all the same on this board- it helps having a different perspective! I admire anyone who can run like you do!!!!

Girls, the scale hates me...but my jeans and clothes are fitting great. My husband cannot keep his hands off of me. People keep calling me skinny. I bought a sz 6 dress at White House Black Market- and it fits great. Remind me of all these things when I am whining about the scale later this week. My guess is the warmer weather has me retaining some water weight masking any noticeable loss. Whatever. My hips and thighs seem to be shrinking so that's always a win!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. But my question was do I need to change my workout to hit different groups? Yes I add in leg lifts because I have a weakness in hip abduction. But the rest seems to be all legs/ back - I guess the rows are arms and push-ups are chest/ triceps.
    Beeps please explain x- sets??
    Bepeejaye glad you had a good work out

So my pt said I have trigger points in my neck as a result of a deltoid injury. I have some crazy neck exercises which I do every two hours but seem to help - tomorrow I will get accupuncture which is at least always relaxing.

Pmag, it looks like you're hitting all the groups. Most people say a push and a pull exercise is sufficient. If you had a specific weakness, you could always add an exercise. I personally like to keep a shoulder exercise in my workouts because I have weak shoulders. Experimenting with the different grips on pull downs and inverted rows can give you an idea for some of your weak points too. My back is really strong, but I struggle with arms and shoulders- so I tend to do a lot of neutral grip and underhand grip work to target them.
    I hope you're able to get some relief from the pain! It's hard to take care of your family when you're feeling poorly yourself.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Have to postpone my lifting, today.....because I am going to take my lunch hour to go see my grade 7 son's band perform (he plays trumpet in his school band!).

That means I'll lift tomorrow and Friday - 2 days in a row! Yikes!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Happy belated birthday, Sue!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...I think this weekend I am going to go through my closet and CHUCK every single item that absolutely does NOT make me feel "beautiful".

...I put on a little MORE make-up, today, actually curled some of my hair, and put on an OLD favourite shirt, and I just feel WAY BETTER about myself than I have for the last few days/weeks. THIS MATTERS.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Beeps, your post really rings true for me. I'm a SAHM and if I just roll around in yoga pants I feel so schlumpy. If I make a little more effort to put in a nicer outfit and do some hair and makeup I feel 100x better.

I realized this morning that the lat pull down machine goes up in increments of 15 pounds, not 10; I thought I was pulling 60 pounds but it was actually 75!!! And someone here who is SUPER fit said she can't even do that much :)
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Sue, thank you. You made me cry. You described me right down to the very dot. Thank you all ladies. I'm just sick of the constant worry about weight and body image. It has plagued me since I was 10. THIRTY-TWO years of this. I've been the anorexic at 12! I started purging in my mid 20's. I faintly believe that's what caused my throat cancer when I was 32.

Anyway, Thank you all again.

No lifting today. I need a rest. My muscles are sore plus I have a lot of errands to do. My son wants to me to lift longer like I use to but after 30 minutes of cardio I don't feel like lifting longer than 15-20 minutes. I usually don't rest between sets . I'll do a shoulder lift then head to back lift. So I think that's good timing for lifting. Thoughts???
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Beeps, enjoy watching your son! I agree completely about appearance. I've been trying to get out of the jeans and t-shirt rut and dress for my body type.

Mary, I would strength train first. Strength is ALWAYS going to be the better choice. If you have steam left for cardio, great. If not, do a few minutes of HIIT and be done. I know I preach this a lot, but lifting is what will change your shape and diminish the jiggles. Read this again:
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/death-of-steady-state-cardio
    She's specifically addressing fat loss. I love looking at her pictures- her body type is just like mine and is inspiring to see what a lean, strong pear shape looks like.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Beeps, your post really rings true for me. I'm a SAHM and if I just roll around in yoga pants I feel so schlumpy. If I make a little more effort to put in a nicer outfit and do some hair and makeup I feel 100x better.

I realized this morning that the lat pull down machine goes up in increments of 15 pounds, not 10; I thought I was pulling 60 pounds but it was actually 75!!! And someone here who is SUPER fit said she can't even do that much :)
    Yes! 75lbs is awesome!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Mary, I would strength train first. Strength is ALWAYS going to be the better choice. If you have steam left for cardio, great. If not, do a few minutes of HIIT and be done. I know I preach this a lot, but lifting is what will change your shape and diminish the jiggles.

^^^THIS.

If you do NOT want to do THAT, manic....no problem, but then I think you will have to temper-your-enthusiasm for "body shape change".

Cardio is good for your heart! Nice! And it can feel SO gooooood, after a cardio-work-out because it is GREAT for managing stress, for sure. But then, THAT should be your expectation....otherwise, you are just setting YOURSELF up for failure!

Eating disorders are NO joke....it is 100% why I am teaching, both in words and by example, my children to have a positive relationship with food.

Exercise MATTERS....it is 100% why I am teaching, both in words and by example, my children to have a positive relationship with exercise.

The *type* of exercise you do - and the time you devote to THAT exercise - determines your body shape (in degrees....genetics matter, too....). Spending a little more time on "loving the shape you are in" and a little less time on the exercise, might do you WONDERS!!!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    Options
    Beeps, enjoy watching your son! I agree completely about appearance. I've been trying to get out of the jeans and t-shirt rut and dress for my body type.

Mary, I would strength train first. Strength is ALWAYS going to be the better choice. If you have steam left for cardio, great. If not, do a few minutes of HIIT and be done. I know I preach this a lot, but lifting is what will change your shape and diminish the jiggles. Read this again:
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/death-of-steady-state-cardio
    She's specifically addressing fat loss. I love looking at her pictures- her body type is just like mine and is inspiring to see what a lean, strong pear shape looks like.

I should rephrase: "Strength will ALWAYS be the better choice for overall aesthetics and time efficiency". Like Beeps said, if your goals are cardio-oriented, then stick with the cardio. But anaerobic activity will get you similar cardiovascular benefits with less time and better aesthetics. It really depends on your goals and what you enjoy doing.