Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Does it make a difference if I go to the gym for some exercises and then do the others at home? I guess what I am asking is if the exercises should be completed in a time frame?

Certain exercises I am not comfortable doing at the gym especially when my legs are hiked up in the air and laying in the floor. Laying in the floor just grosses me out where everyone has been stepping and dripping sweat. Yes, my gym has the mats but everyone is using them.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I usually don't post on this board (though I do read through it every couple of days like a creepy stalker type person...but a SUPER SUPPORTIVE creepy stalker type person who thinks you all are doing AWESOME!), but I wanted to share my total elation at finishing stage 1! Very excited! And since the word on the street is that Stage 2 is pretty killer, I am very much looking forward to it!

Here's a link to a blog post of how things went: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/autumn_mix/view/finished-stage-1-of-nrol4w-256727

I realized very late in the stage that I wasn't tucking my elbows in on my push-ups, and now that I am trying to...holy crap totally different burn, batman!

Excellent blog post - thank you; so good to be able to plot your progress in graphs like those, and you look amazing!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Does it make a difference if I go to the gym for some exercises and then do the others at home? I guess what I am asking is if the exercises should be completed in a time frame?

Certain exercises I am not comfortable doing at the gym especially when my legs are hiked up in the air and laying in the floor. Laying in the floor just grosses me out where everyone has been stepping and dripping sweat. Yes, my gym has the mats but everyone is using them.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I don't think it matters. I've started 'cheating' a bit myself, by doing the cardio elements in Stage 3 the following day.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    I have some good news to report. I was noticing some changes (eg. loose trousers) so this morning I got on the scales, and I am now just one pound heavier than when I started the NROLFW. At the same time, I definitely have more muscle. So IT'S WORKING!!! Just one week ago I was up from my start weight by about 6 lbs, so that's quite a loss. Now obviously it isn't fat that's gone in that short time, so it must be water. It is strange though, how the weight seems to fluctuate so much more when lifting. The only other thing that's different is that I've dropped down from 30% protein to between 20% and 25%, but I wouldn't have thought that protein leads to water retention (unless anyone knows different).

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know as it may give you some encouragement about that weight issue.

Edit: I'm coming to the end of Stage 3.
  • ecrogers4
    ecrogers4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I usually don't post on this board (though I do read through it every couple of days like a creepy stalker type person...but a SUPER SUPPORTIVE creepy stalker type person who thinks you all are doing AWESOME!), but I wanted to share my total elation at finishing stage 1! Very excited! And since the word on the street is that Stage 2 is pretty killer, I am very much looking forward to it!

:laugh: OMG funny! Love it!

@MissMaggie - YAY! That's awesome!!! I've never heard of more protein = water retention... but I guess it would depend on the type of protein you are eating... ie - is there a lot of sodium in with the protein?

I TOTALLY agree that the workouts are getting a bit out of hand... 2 hours in the gym yesterday?!?! LOL - I think back to Stage 1 when I was complaining that the workouts weren't long enough!!

@Birdy - what a great idea! I've been shortening the rests from the 105s to about 80... and I've been toying with the idea of going down more... I think I will... 105s rest just seems so excessive.

RE: Modifications... I love having the template! It's so great for me being a newbie to weight training... BUT in his next 2 books - Lou doesn't recommend crunches or most of the exercises that are in NROL4W. SO - I took NROL for Abs out from the library - and I sub those exercises in instead of the "core" work at the end. I REALLY recommend checking out that book... Really great modifications (more damn planks too... ugh)

Quick Reference:
    Stage 1 (NROL4A):
    A - Plank: 2x (60-90s) (rest 45-60)
    Side Plank: 2x (30-45s each side) (rest 45-60)
    B - Anti-Rotation Static Hold: 2x(30s each side) (rest 45-60s)
    - Elevated Plank (feet elevated): 2 sets of 10 (10 seconds), (rest 45-60s)
    - Elevated Side Plank (feet elevated); 2 sets of 10 (10 s each), (rest 45-60s)

:noway: That's a lot of Plank action... for the elevated planks - I'm up to 90s elevated and 45s per side for the side planks... UGH. thinking about switching to a stability ball for the elevation...
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @Beeps - You have posted a couple of times about how long the later stages take. Do you remember how long it took you to complete stage 2 and 3 workouts? While I still have a while before I get there, my time in the gym is limited. I can really only commit 45 mins to an hour. Am I in trouble?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,004 Member
    Options
    Hello to all - newbies and veterans, alike!! I think someone like Birdy can "modify" because, as she says, this is a "return" to a weight-lifting program, for her....she isn't a novice at the art/science of weight-training!

For the rest of us, just BE CAREFUL. I don't think it's a terrible thing to split the work-out throughout a day, for example, but ONLY so long as you STILL do a proper warm-up for EACH strength-training time and that you do a proper stretch after. So, that's 2 x as many warm-ups in one day and 2 x as many stretches in one day. (For me, that is TOO MUCH TIME right there!)

loricol - the later stages take A LONG TIME. Period. If you read through the Stage 3, 4, 5 threads (and Stage 7!!), you will see some posters saying they were doing 120 minutes in the gym. Um, for me, um, "no". Just "no".

I have 60 minutes, at lunch, to devote to the cause. That is IT. So, for me, I have to fit it into 60 minute work-outs. In Stage 2, I did the lifting on M/W/F and I did the HIIT/long stretching on Tues/Th/Sun. So, that worked, for me. In Stage 3 and Stage 4, I had to break the work-outs apart, even more. I decided to reduce my M/W/F work-outs by eliminating ABS, and putting them into my Tues/Th/Sun work-outs.

I could get through my warm-up, all the lifts, and a stretch, in 60 minutes, for M/W/F (Stage 3 and 4). And, I could get through HIIT, Abs, and a stretch, in 60 minutes, for Tues/Th/Sun. I kept my "rests" between exercises to 75 - 90 seconds. Not 105 seconds.

I am about to start Stage 5, so will try and do the same thing - i.e. breaking out my strength days to JUST LIFTING (with warm-up and stretching, of course) and then my off-days to HIIT/abs/stretching. Except that the option is to do "either 3 or 4 sets" in Stage 5 and, with the necessary rests (even if you only do a 60 second rest...), I likely will only be able to do 3 sets. Bummer, because I would like to try 4 sets. But, we shall see - I don't start until Wednesday.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Birdy- Crossfit WOD is a good one! When I was doing bootcamp and had to miss, I would look through there for ideas.

Missmaggie- I wonder if it's not protein but the particular source of protein as well? Maybe a different protein source wouldn't have had that effect. But, that's all just speculation as your choices are somewhat limited due to being vegetarian. Just decreasing it overall seems to be working for you so keep with it! Further proof that we all don't have exactly the same dietary needs.

Beeps- that sounds like a great way to break things up and keep the workouts reasonably timed.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    want
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    this