Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    No lifting today - a 2.5 hour hike instead. It was zero degrees the whole time!

I will lift tomorrow - AFTER taking my measurements.

And then it is time for a Halloween binge! KitKat anyone?!?!?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Tonight was my first night squatting not on a smith machine (originally it was recommended to me but I have learned better on MFP). I started at a much lower weight and I am glad I did because it let me focus on form which feels more shaky without the smith machine to guide me, but as I am sitting her I don't feel it as much as I was so I think I may have gone too low. But I can add more quickly and safely. :smile:

Although I do think bepeejaye brought up a good point--I workout alone so I commonly don't have a spotter. I really need to get used to the rack before I go up in weight. But in the same breath it is so amazing to me that I am sitting her talking about and thinking about weights like this. I would have never dreamed of this before.

Dna--so sorry to hear about your family stuff and your Nanna. I empathize. I have family members who have cut me out so I know how that feels. It is great that you are so close to your immediate family and their families. That is the best thing that you can do.

What kind of rack is it? If it's a traditional power rack, you don't need a spotter unless you are working on like a PR max reps. The guide rails will catch the bar if you fall keeping the bar from landing on you as well. You should know your limits. Only once in two years did I stop on the way down and rest the bar on the stop rails.

Beeps, I"m jealous of all of your hiking and you have me missing summer.

DNA, sorry about your nana. Even if you weren't' close, there is still a connection.

Julie, looking tight, nicely done.

PM, Here's to being employed.

I guess this will go in the book as a rest week. Lifting starts again Sunday. Luckily I have some time off coming up but I'll also be very busy.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I think that is it for walking until next spring....so, lifting it is!

I need to find a job....some of this shyte is getting really boring really fast.

I hope my measurements go wekk tomorrow. My jeans ARE fitting better, but there is still an almost muffin-top sitting right there! And my saddlebags....ugh, my saddlebags.....f*ckers.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Beeps-I hate my saddlebags too! Gah! But loose jeans rock! Nice hike, and 0? :worried:

Sam-rest weeks have value too! :wink:

Jo-hope you have a great workout! Maybe you're due for a rest?

I'm plugging away. Heading out to lift in a minute- stage 5 B1. I am down to 156.1 today! :joy: that's -5lbs this week! Yay! Low carb works so much better for me. (I'm a hormonal mess!) i log my calories and am averaging the same or higher than before. I know its mostly water loss, but still smaller because of it! Yay for loser jeans!
    I am doing a carb refeed tonight, perfect timing. I feel great though, which is a definite bonus! We'll see how this works :blush:
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    FINALLY FINISHED STAGE 4!!!
  • Ali_momof2
    Ali_momof2 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween everyone. I am spending the day with my youngest until my oldest gets home from school. He "worked out" with me this morning he's so cute lifting the 2.5lb plates and he tells me hes a shark when I do the prone cobra (I'm a dolphin).

Beeps & Julie, I know how you feel about the saddle bags, this is my biggest problem. If I fixed that I would actually like how I look. I have noticed a small changed in them but they are stubborn, and I do a lot of workouts (or I try to)that focus on legs.

I want to get a hike in this weekend when it cools off, Sunday is suppose to get only into the 70's !!! Perfect for a hike or long walk.

I hope everyone has a great and safe Halloween. Enjoy some candy. We all deserve some chocolate. >:)<3

And WOO HOO to loose jeans, those feel the best.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Congrats, Ali!

Julie - great scale loss!

BOOM.,
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    e8ldpclk4h9j.jpg

^^^^ today's back shot to show that ROCKtober really did move me towards my own fitness goals!

BOOM!

....and now for my Halloween nom-nom-fest!

:)
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Wow Beeps, you look great! You 2 Julie! REALLY nice progress :D

Well since we're posting pics, here's mine...ahm..no :p . Not today. Soon though. Once I rein in my diet and see some changes.

Julie, great job on those 5 lbs! Stick to what works, as long as you still feel great energy wise.

Anyone use knee compression sleeves?
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. In the interim, I've gotten the crud; but I've definitely decided that lifting heavy what I want to do. I'm going to start tomorrow (Saturday), but I think I'm going to start with StrongLift instead simply because their are fewer moves and I'm anxious to start (don't want to have to wait for a book to come in).

Can I still post here?
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Beeps! My goodness, I have back and shoulder envy right now! I think a strong back and shoulders make women look sooooo sexy! You are awesome.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Ali-I know! Finally cool enough to hike! We do the superstitions a lot...but that's kind of far for you. Have fun!!

Beeps- :kissing_heart: nice back!

JL-c'mon...if I can post my "progress" pictures...you can too! I'm sure yours are amazing!

Sumner- I think that'd be fine :). I'd like to see how you like strong lifts :)

Carb nite underway...fun!! Looking forward to some chocolate soon!
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Amazing photo Beeps! You look great!

Ugh, ate way too much candy and had too much wine last night. I am also sore from lifting this week as I changed a few of my moves and weights in BT2 so I'm glad I have rest days until Monday. Looking forward to making myself a super healthy dinner tonight! Next week I will start BT3 :)

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    q0jsj93flboj.jpg

2xr3fxrk0dlg.jpg

So I'm pretty crap at the whole back 'selfie' thing - these pics took me at least 20 mins, hahahaha. Been bored today. Wrote assignment, went for a 3 hour walk, wrote more assignment..... blah.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress shots! Very motivational. I can't wait until I am there too. :smile:

Ellie--I went with an empty olympic bar for the first time on the new equipment and I had been adding 45 to the bar on the smith machine. It was probably lower than I needed to go to make the change but I did feel the difference in my core especially because it was having to work more for stability. So I am glad I made the switch now. If I can't get the squat rack the next time, I saw a post that recommended goblet squats as an alternative. So that is my plan.

Beeps--I don't know what kind of rack it is. I may try to take a quick pic when I go in today. But in trying to find a similar one online to show you all, I think it is a very basic rack. It doesn't have many of the features I am seeing on the pictures online.

But I do think I missed the step of adjusting the safety bars to my height. I will have to make sure to do that from now on.

Congrats Ali on finishing stage 4! :smile:
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Pudding-today's a new day. As long as you enjoyed last night... No permanent damage :).

Jo-dem guns girl!! :kissing_closed_eyes:B):lol: at 20 minutes to get the pics... Hope you got your paper done.

Ali-congrats on finished stage 4...welcome to stage 5! :smiling_imp:

Snb-sounds like you're doing great with the squats!! Smart to get old form down then up your weights. Good job!!

Had a fun carb nite last night! Happy for a year when I'm supposed to enjoy some candy! Back to low carb this morning. Went for a nice bike ride this morning for coffee..,beautiful sunny and 70!! Great day!! Going on a date tonight with dh to paint some canvases. Should be a fun weekend!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    ooohh!! Back shots! I love back shots :heart_eyes:
    Looking good guys!

Jo, I want your guns. Seriously.

Had a huge day yesterday, and totally wiped today. Made it to church, just lol, and am trying not to fall asleep on the couch right now.

Mum & Dad headed home this morning. We just chilled for a few days. They needed time to clear their heads and be in a space where they didn't have to do anything. So they cleaned my kitchen and Mum washed my towels LOL

Dad goes in for a fairly major op in two weeks time. at minimum, 6 weeks recovery time, so at least he will be forced to slow down in the lead up to Christmas! He's supposed to be retired. Yeah... I think he ignored the memo :wink: In my head, cancer, diabetes, and all that other *kitten* can go take a flying leap.

Mum's ok. Well, she was ok when she left here. She's seeing one of her brother's on the way home - the one other sibling who was cut off and not told. Hopefully it goes alright. He can be a little over-emotional and um... loud... at times.

Better find the kids lunch I suppose. I threw them in the pool after church to get them outside doing something. I'm thinking an afternoon nap may be on the cards.
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Jo and beeps amazing bodies

Today was a long one and it is time to sleep
  • icanm
    icanm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just finished stage 1. I did forget the set/rep transition and ended up doing more of 3 sets with 8 and 15 reps. Also, I did not increase my cals but upped my protein steadily now, I am 40/30/30 on most days since past 2 weeks. My diet changes have been more cleaner and better over the past 3 weeks only.

Anyhow, I wanted to update on my results and compare :blush:

Inch loss = 10.5 overall [Tummy and thighs lost the most :smile: ]
    Weight = no loss
    Strength = gain!

Squats: 22lbs to 99lbs
    Push up: 45 deg incline (struggling) to knee push-up (v. easy) + 2 full (easy)
    S/row: 72lbs to 152 lbs
    Step-up: 22lbs to 66lbs (both on box)
    jackknife/crunches: i was too shy to try PJK in my first 2-3 weeks, i ended up trying and loving them by week 4-5 :) -- I will skip update here as there is no comparison i can do 12 max though
    Deadlift: 39.6 lbs to 88 lbs
    Latpull: 50.7 to 70.5lbs
    S/press: 22lbs to 44 lbs
    Lunges: BW to 55lbs
    Crunches: I did floor crunches - Normal to long arm touching toes (inclined) or my trainers hand

I should have kept a copy of the routine to not mess-up. I will keep it in mind for Stage 2. I really think I lagged behind in D/L :-/ I really like em :)

Any thoughts?
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I bought my original copy of NROL4W as a kindle book, but I just got a call from one of my favorite book stores that they have a used copy on hold for me. I am so excited!

I did Stage 1 Workout 6B yesterday. I made the jump from the small barbells to using the olympic bar with weight (so it wasn't on the ground). And I did it! It was my workout highlight of the day.

Now I need to tackle lunges. These are my most hated exercise of the stage right now. :smile:

Icanm--I am a newbie too but I think your gains in strength are impressive. Good job. :smiley: