Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments. My butt was sore today from all those deadlift, sheesh. Coworkers found it funny though. Still need to work on my lifting schedule cause my work one is changing a little in the future, and I need to buy food cause my protein intake is hurting from lack of grocery shopping.

Beeps - Hope it's nothing. I missed a whole week due to a cold and still have the cough. Nothing like cashiering and getting a coughing fit middle of a transaction. Bleh. So, yeah, hope you don't have that.

JoanM - Thanks. I don't really look at the book much, just to see what exercises need done but I have all of stage one written down in the little notebook I take with me to the gym cause I don't keep my phone with me when I workout.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Glad you're all having a laugh at my expense :p

I lifted today - upper body accessory day. I am officially pathetic. Meh. And more meh. One day I will have an epic upper body. Until then I will moan about it.

Missing squats, missing DLs, missing combat.

Started work. Hubby being unsupportive. Life is difficult right now. Wine.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    No laughing AT your expense, jo_marnes....we are all laughing WITH you.

Although, truly, a torn muscle, of ANY kind, sounds AWFUL....one in the biggest muscle you HAVE - sounds punishing!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I still have a head cold....but, it is not getting any worse (nor better), so I think I can handle a workout today.

I will go down to office-gym and KICK IT probably around 11 am.

I kind of want to return to full-body routine....but kind of also do NOT have the "time" to do that. Yet, if I am honest with myself, the 4-day split routine did NOTHING for my figure.....sure, I still have FAT to lose, so closing my pie-hole is the ONLY thing that is going to cure THAT!

But, the split days didn't really shape me up in any (noticeable) way.....and, as summer season rolls around, it's kind of time to make sure my shoulders/bis/tris are SPECTACULAR.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Thoughts???

I guess I could return to full-day Venus stuff. But, now that I have been working out in the 5-6 rep range....the thought of going back to 10s or 12's (or even 8's!!!!) is SCARY.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    No, Jo, definitely not laughing at you! I literally hurt just thinking about a torn Glute. I hope it feels better quick!
    Beeps, from some of the research I am doing, I am really beginning to feel that for AESTHETICS, one needs to work through all of the reps ranges. Meaning, alternate strength(3-8), hypertrophy(8-12), & endurance(12-15 reps) every so often. I think sticking to one rep range can be detrimental to physique goals. This is why NROL4W and Strong Curves go through ALL the ranges. They compliment each other. This being said, I trully felt like Erin Stern's Elite Body program on bodybuilding.com was fabulous for my shoulders and arms. It's 4 days of lifting- 3 upper & 1 lower. The lower body day was worthless to me, so I basically did a Strong Curves lower workout on that day. If you like doing 5 days of lifting, I would suggest adding in a day of lower.
    After a few or several years of lifting our bodies have completely adjusted to lifting and it requires MORE resistance... Either in the form of increased weight (meaning: pushing to the max every workout),increased intensity, increased volume of workouts.
    BUT, if you get the physique results with full body routines still(I do not) then go with what works for you! That's my ramble for the day....

Sam, hope you feel better today!

Lower body done today. It felt brutal.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Beeps-let us know what you decide. I can't offer advice as I'm still so new to lifting. :) I do like bret contreras but think it's a full body routine with glute focus.
    Jo-you'll be all kinds of strong, upper body-wise! Heal quickly!
    Bbc-sounds like a good blend!
    Dawn-sound good! Kutgw!
    Sam-((hugs)) on valentines day and the crummy workout. Hope you get a break and rest soon!
    Joan-I used to drag my book with me for the first 2 workouts of each stage, so I feel your pain. The threads here (above) can help if you need a reminder.
    DNA-struggled, but done! And you beat dh? WTG!
    BP-keep dancing! I miss Zumba!

My butt is better. ;) Needed some good stretches. Think it helps my hammies too! So tight and sore! I am definitely making time for good stretching on lifting days, and may even try yoga. My knee is getting better - bad sprain in December. I can do most things except quick movements, step ups, or jumps with it now. I even jogged a few times during my walk on Tuesday without pain or weakness! Woohoo! It has given out on me and collapsed a few times (with pain) lately. I wear a brace to the gym and do fine with squats and leg press, so I'm taking that as an encouragement.

I'm rethinking my goals. Originally I mostly wanted fat loss and recomp. I've gotten some of that, but it's not going as quickly I'd expect. I haven't lost a lb in 4 months despite a deficit. I'm not really losing inches either. I feel great, and look leaner, but my measurements are the same too :(. I'm gonna reassess. I like getting a bit stronger...I'm adding weight or reps to all my lifts despite my deficit. I read these stories of hanging in there, being faithful and patient and eventually the weight starting coming off...how long is that? I've been lifting consistently since July and I weigh more now. I have lower BF though and love that! Gonna rethink some things. I know the scale loes, but the tape measure doesn't usually ;). But I don't want to change my lifting.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Rest day and day off from work. I spent an hour walking at a local park. It's a nice place to walk though tad chilly still outside.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Can I just mention that finding clothes is freaking hard?

I was complaining the other day that I was sick of wearing the same clothes over and over (I donated a whole tonne of stuff that was too big, and have been cycling through the basics ever since), so the husband told me to just go buy some new clothes.

Found a nice pair of jeans in a AU6/US2 (from Cotton On for the Aussies playing along), and they fit the legs but were too big around the waist. I didn't like any of the others there (these were the cropped legs, so I wouldn't have to do any sewing to make them fit lol).

I don't have skinny legs, I have a butt and I have a smaller waist. I also have a mummy tummy thanks to my lovely children, so any low rise trousers are out (besides I'd prefer not to do a plumber impression when I bend over :wink: )

I just want new clothes that fit!

*sigh*

Jo, I almost went to the bottle shop while out this morning, but I kept walking. For you, I shall go this afternoon and find something to have a cyber-drink with you :heart:

Julie, realistically, how much do you have left to lose? I've put the scale away, and my measurements haven't really changed (haven't done them in a while though), but my clothes are fitting a little differently. It's odd. Hang in there. Reassess what it is that you want/need to do and change things up a little? You never know what could happen :smile:

Beeps, I have no freaking idea lol But I'll agree with what BBC said cos it sounds smart :smiley: I enjoy the full body routines and just add extras in when I feel like it. I only have 3 days a week to lift, so this fits into my life more efficiently.

I do HATE 12+ rep ranges though. I figure I have to do them, but I don't have to like them lol 10 I can handle cos it's a nice neat number :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cyclones are coming here. I'm preparing for things to get a little wet and windy!
  • JoanMSittler
    JoanMSittler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So much information in all the posts. All good reading. I had a good day both workout and nutrition wise. Not sure what I'll do tomorrow. Some kind of cardio. Not sure is Ill do HIIT intervals using speed. Or some kind of endurance intervals using more incline than speed. I think the second option. No weights tomorrow.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    You're ok girls, I would laugh too if it wasn't so frustrating!! I did squats and RDLs tonight with a teeny 20kg to make myself feel better. And I ran 20 mins pain free, which is a big improvement. It's just going to take time. Which makes me cross.

Funny how we are all adjusting our goals. I'm having my BF% measured (skinfolds) this weekend. I know they aren't accurate, I'm just hoping to have a comparison in June, by which time I'll hopefully have met my lifting and dietary goals.

Looking forward to tomorrow - SL (minus squats) and shoulder accessory day. Oh, and survived my first week at work! Not actually done much work yet tho...... lol.

dna - cheers!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Beeps, from some of the research I am doing, I am really beginning to feel that for AESTHETICS, one needs to work through all of the reps ranges. Meaning, alternate strength(3-8), hypertrophy(8-12), & endurance(12-15 reps) every so often. I think sticking to one rep range can be detrimental to physique goals. This is why NROL4W and Strong Curves go through ALL the ranges. They compliment each other. This being said, I trully felt like Erin Stern's Elite Body program on bodybuilding.com was fabulous for my shoulders and arms. It's 4 days of lifting- 3 upper & 1 lower. The lower body day was worthless to me, so I basically did a Strong Curves lower workout on that day. If you like doing 5 days of lifting, I would suggest adding in a day of lower.

Yep, since it is a "look" that I am going for, I do try and work through different "ranges". My Tuesday workout is higher volume (I still use heavy weights, but not THE heaviest I have ever used)....so, I am getting MORE "endurance" work in the last 5 months, than I have had in the last 3 years.

Which leaves the 4-day split like a good idea. Thanks, BarbellCowgirl - I will go see if I can print off Erin Stern's 4-day split....I will use Bret C's glute-workout (which is also similar to a "Strong Curves" workout) for the "lower body" day.

Can you tell me how LONG (in minutes....) you spent in the gym doing an Erin Stern split-day workout?? Was it 40 minutes? 60 minutes? more?

• Beeps2011
    Options

I'm rethinking my goals. Originally I mostly wanted fat loss and recomp. I've gotten some of that, but it's not going as quickly I'd expect. I haven't lost a lb in 4 months despite a deficit. I'm not really losing inches either. I feel great, and look leaner, but my measurements are the same too :(.

This is what I DON'T get?!?!?!? You "feel great" and "look leaner", yet that does NOT make you HAPPY?!?!?!??!

Good gawd....this is backward-thinking, to me.

For me, I really try and practice that it does NOT matter what the scale says (even though....yep....I am FOREVER in the "last 10 lbs" club....) and it does NOT matter what the measurements say (even though....yep....I keep trying to hit my Venus metrics)....and that it ONLY matters what the MIRROR shows and how GREAT I feel in my clothes!!!!

Now, I try and PRACTICE this....I am no means PERFECT at it (as my SEVERAL vents on this thread will show, lololololol)

YOU need to practice gratitude for how GREAT you feel and how LEAN you LOOK!

BOOM!

• Beeps2011
    Options
    dnamouse wrote: »

Beeps, I have no freaking idea lol But I'll agree with what BBC said cos it sounds smart :smiley: I enjoy the full body routines and just add extras in when I feel like it. I only have 3 days a week to lift, so this fits into my life more efficiently.

I do HATE 12+ rep ranges though. I figure I have to do them, but I don't have to like them lol 10 I can handle cos it's a nice neat number :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yesterday I did a full-body Venus routine....Phase 2 (which I have done a few times already) gave me AWESOME upper-body results spring 2013....so, repeating it seems like a good idea.

Mostly it is 8-reps. Doable. But, it also has Fibonacci pyramids - 21 - 15 - 8 - 5 - 8 - 15 - 21....I usually drop the 21's completely, change the 15's to 13's and do pyramids with 13 - 8 - 5 - 8 - 13 instead.

But, Fibonacci's means L-O-N-G- workouts because of all the weight plates on-weight plates off nonsense.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »

I'm having my BF% measured (skinfolds) this weekend. I know they aren't accurate, I'm just hoping to have a comparison in June, by which time I'll hopefully have met my lifting and dietary goals.

this is a good idea.....I had such a BAD experience with my body-fat measurement 18 months ago that I still have PTSD from it.

:(

Sooooooooooo, for awhile longer, I am simply staying away from all measurements, except my natural waist (which is the PRIMO Venus measurement, anyway....).

Ahem....let's just say that my natural waist is NOT at Venus at the moment.

I have work to do. I have bodyfat to lose. For me, that really is calorie-control - and I don't seem to have the stomach for it right now in my life.

(Get it?!?!? "Stomach for it"?!?!? ROFLMAO)

• lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Afternoon!

Jo, I'm sorry about your glute! That sounds painful as hell.

dna, I hope you come out of the cyclone unscathed! Be safe!

I started SL on Monday. It went well - and quickly. I loved that part. I will add cardio at the end of each session just so I get it. I'm trying to get to where I like what I see in the mirror. I'm also doing yoga 3 times a week. My hips are REALLY tight (to the point where I can't sit cross-legged). I'm hoping that the yoga will open them up. We'll see.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »

Yep, since it is a "look" that I am going for, I do try and work through different "ranges". My Tuesday workout is higher volume (I still use heavy weights, but not THE heaviest I have ever used)....so, I am getting MORE "endurance" work in the last 5 months, than I have had in the last 3 years.

Which leaves the 4-day split like a good idea. Thanks, BarbellCowgirl - I will go see if I can print off Erin Stern's 4-day split....I will use Bret C's glute-workout (which is also similar to a "Strong Curves" workout) for the "lower body" day.

Can you tell me how LONG (in minutes....) you spent in the gym doing an Erin Stern split-day workout?? Was it 40 minutes? 60 minutes? more?

They aren't long workouts- usually only 45mins. When I was really rushed I could do them in less. They're 60 second rests. When she called for 3-4 sets, I usually just did 3. I really just felt like it was a good change of pace for me- doing more isolation.
    The workout videos are definitely worth watching if you have time- mostly 'cause Erin Stern is a beast and I loved watching her do the exercises!
    Hopefully you'll like it too!

• jo_marnes
    Options
    Afternoon!

I started SL on Monday. It went well - and quickly. I loved that part. I will add cardio at the end of each session just so I get it. I'm trying to get to where I like what I see in the mirror. I'm also doing yoga 3 times a week. My hips are REALLY tight (to the point where I can't sit cross-legged). I'm hoping that the yoga will open them up. We'll see.

YES! Stretch! This issue with hips is the reason I have ended up tearing my glute. And the +++ squats in SL highlighted the issue. Oh - and the workouts get a lot longer once you get heavier lol, the rests are a necessity!

Stay safe dna - thinking of you. My cousin lives in Gladstone about where it is hitting now :( Bad times.

• dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Oh we're okay. Just getting very wet!
    Emptied the pool twice this morning already lol

Had to laugh, school mums were asking on Facebook if the school would be closed. Guys, we're in Brisbane. We'll get the edge of it - rain, maybe flooding, some wind and perhaps a storm. Absolutely nothing in comparison to Rocky/Yeppoon etc. School stays open unless it's flooded. Which it won't be, because the suburb is on higher ground :wink:

*yawn* the weather is making me sleeepppyyy.... :sleeping:
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Decided to try lifting after working freight instead of doing stuff both the day before and the day after. It wasn't too bad except the back of my thighs are a bit tight and achy still from monday... Butt doesn't hurt anymore at least. I did foam rolling both before and after lifting. Plus, since I'd walked 18,000 steps just from work, I skipped the cardio after. Haven't decided on my accessories for 3rd lifting day of the week so didn't do any this time.

Day 3, A2

2x15 Squat @‌ 100 - not bad though 15 is tough and I go pretty slow.

2x15 Push-up - used the walkway rail both times this time
    2x15 Seated Row @ 50 - Kept to same weight, not too hard but the last rep is tough.

2x15 Step-up @ 15 - Kept same here, short step and left knee got achy in 2nd set.
    2x15 PJ - Didn't fall or pause but almost didn't make it through the sets.

Rested a little extra at times doing things like getting cough drop and such. Cold is basically gone but I still get little cough fits on occasion. And I think I need to find a foam roller for at home. Funny cause I thought it was really weird when the trainer recommended even trying it. Think I'll like the 2x12 range more. I'm almost there.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    90 mins of lifting today - mainly shoulders. Epic. And some sneaky deadlifts.... I'm resting my butt honest.....