Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »

I'm rethinking my goals. Originally I mostly wanted fat loss and recomp. I've gotten some of that, but it's not going as quickly I'd expect. I haven't lost a lb in 4 months despite a deficit. I'm not really losing inches either. I feel great, and look leaner, but my measurements are the same too :(.

This is what I DON'T get?!?!?!? You "feel great" and "look leaner", yet that does NOT make you HAPPY?!?!?!??!

Good gawd....this is backward-thinking, to me.

For me, I really try and practice that it does NOT matter what the scale says (even though....yep....I am FOREVER in the "last 10 lbs" club....) and it does NOT matter what the measurements say (even though....yep....I keep trying to hit my Venus metrics)....and that it ONLY matters what the MIRROR shows and how GREAT I feel in my clothes!!!!

Now, I try and PRACTICE this....I am no means PERFECT at it (as my SEVERAL vents on this thread will show, lololololol)

YOU need to practice gratitude for how GREAT you feel and how LEAN you LOOK!

BOOM!

I was hoping to feel great in my clothes, my jeans particularly since I'm such a pear. But they're tight!! Thighs, waist, butt...all tight!! I look leaner in the mirror, but my clothes (backed up with the tape measure) are saying I am not. As I sit here typing, my muffin top over my jeans is reinforcing this fact :(.
    I was morbidly obese all my life until I found LC 11 year ago. I lost 120lbs and have kept it off for 10 years, but have lots of skin in the way. There is plenty of fat still there as well. I have lost weight successfully, but this last 10-20 will not budge!
    I am not giving up or changing too much. Maybe I just need more patience. But 6-7 months of a careful deficit and regular lifting should be showing some fat loss that is measurable in some way. Scale, BIA, caliper, jeans...something. But I do not see it happening. I can't imagine my deficit is too large. In keeping protein high so I don't lose muscle (theoretically) and I am getting stronger not weaker, which is encouraging.
    I think I need to either readjust my timeframe and expectations, or shake things up.
    I do try and not take the scale to heart. I try to look at it as a metric. But I admit, I would like to see it say a lower number! I'm willing to make sacrifices, I'm pretty strong willed and eat very clean, but it still isn't budging. Just frustrated at the moment. It'll pass and I'm sure I'll make some progress eventually.

Love-good for you starting SL! Enjoy it!

Jo-that doesn't sound like rest ;)

Bbc-thanks for that info! Sounds like a good option :).

Sorry to be a bummer. I may need to reassess my diet again. I've been doing a weekly carb refeed but generally LC during the week. I feel good on it, but not making fat loss progress. Hitting my macros, good protein level.
    I'm stretching out the LC days btw refeeds this week. Hopefully that'll get some fat moving. If a few weeks of that doesn't get me moving forward, I'll go back to a daily carb cycle. I suspect my hormones and thyroid are working against me which is why I started the carb cycling a few months ago. My metabolism is healing, which is great. I guess I need to be more patient.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm, I can't speak to the impact rapid/great weight loss might have on body/skin.

You ARE getting stronger - BOOM!

You HAVE kept weight off for 10 years - BOOM!

Find clothes that flatter your figure - I look f***ing AWFUL in jeans - but I look SPECTACULAR in dresses.

So, I leave the jeans alone (as much as I can) and I choose to wear dresses (+ tights and long-sleeve T's under them all winter).
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »

I'm rethinking my goals. Originally I mostly wanted fat loss and recomp. I've gotten some of that, but it's not going as quickly I'd expect. I haven't lost a lb in 4 months despite a deficit. I'm not really losing inches either. I feel great, and look leaner, but my measurements are the same too :(.

This is what I DON'T get?!?!?!? You "feel great" and "look leaner", yet that does NOT make you HAPPY?!?!?!??!

Good gawd....this is backward-thinking, to me.

For me, I really try and practice that it does NOT matter what the scale says (even though....yep....I am FOREVER in the "last 10 lbs" club....) and it does NOT matter what the measurements say (even though....yep....I keep trying to hit my Venus metrics)....and that it ONLY matters what the MIRROR shows and how GREAT I feel in my clothes!!!!

Now, I try and PRACTICE this....I am no means PERFECT at it (as my SEVERAL vents on this thread will show, lololololol)

YOU need to practice gratitude for how GREAT you feel and how LEAN you LOOK!

BOOM!

I was hoping to feel great in my clothes, my jeans particularly since I'm such a pear. But they're tight!! Thighs, waist, butt...all tight!! I look leaner in the mirror, but my clothes (backed up with the tape measure) are saying I am not. As I sit here typing, my muffin top over my jeans is reinforcing this fact :(.
    I was morbidly obese all my life until I found LC 11 year ago. I lost 120lbs and have kept it off for 10 years, but have lots of skin in the way. There is plenty of fat still there as well. I have lost weight successfully, but this last 10-20 will not budge!
    I am not giving up or changing too much. Maybe I just need more patience. But 6-7 months of a careful deficit and regular lifting should be showing some fat loss that is measurable in some way. Scale, BIA, caliper, jeans...something. But I do not see it happening. I can't imagine my deficit is too large. In keeping protein high so I don't lose muscle (theoretically) and I am getting stronger not weaker, which is encouraging.
    I think I need to either readjust my timeframe and expectations, or shake things up.
    I do try and not take the scale to heart. I try to look at it as a metric. But I admit, I would like to see it say a lower number! I'm willing to make sacrifices, I'm pretty strong willed and eat very clean, but it still isn't budging. Just frustrated at the moment. It'll pass and I'm sure I'll make some progress eventually.

Love-good for you starting SL! Enjoy it!

Jo-that doesn't sound like rest ;)

Bbc-thanks for that info! Sounds like a good option :).

Sorry to be a bummer. I may need to reassess my diet again. I've been doing a weekly carb refeed but generally LC during the week. I feel good on it, but not making fat loss progress. Hitting my macros, good protein level.
    I'm stretching out the LC days btw refeeds this week. Hopefully that'll get some fat moving. If a few weeks of that doesn't get me moving forward, I'll go back to a daily carb cycle. I suspect my hormones and thyroid are working against me which is why I started the carb cycling a few months ago. My metabolism is healing, which is great. I guess I need to be more patient.

Julie, I think you are doing PHENOMENAL. I know you struggle with thyroid issues which makes the whole eating at a deficit more complex. While your jeans may be tighter, it's not always a bad thing. I gained 3 lbs over the summer doing Strong Curves and I couldn't fit into my smaller jeans. But my legs looked BETTER. Now that I've lost the 3 lbs again, my legs look even better than they did the first time I was this weight. Don't get discouraged by numbers- you look good, you feel good, stay consistent and it will pay off!
    And I second what Beeps said- wear clothes that you feel great in!

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Errrr....... how epic is this??? 120lbs? That's incredible!

I lost approx. 50lbs over 3 yrs. I have maintained that for 4 years. It was HARD. Because of the plateaus. But I did break through every single one by changing something - either diet or activity. I'm not a LC person, but if that's worked for you, great. If you don't think your calorie level is the issue, then exercise it is. If it were me, I'd do more cardio and continue with regular lifting. When I lost the last bits of weight I was doing 1-2 hours a day with swimming or running and either a class or lifting. Which is not always feasible and perhaps a bit too excessive. But honestly, changing your body into a nice shape is harder than making it smaller. The past 4 years have been harder in some ways - being fitter, you have to work harder. And the changes don't happen on a weekly basis - more like 6 monthly!

You need to set realistic goals. You need a good plan to get you there. You need to measure progress and you need to have an end date in your mind. I.e. "I will be X lbs by August 2015 and I am going to achieve this by A, B and C". Measure progress as often as required. Stick to the plan. And be patient.

P.S. I'm eating excess cals at the moment and too scared to even get on the scales. Quite happily avoiding them, lol
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Mid-rise to high waisted stretchy jeans. Hides the tummy and fits the butt and thighs. And if you have guns and/or boobs (I don't have boobs :cry: ) wear a top that shows them off - no one will look at your bottom half :wink:

And what Jo said ^^ it happens slower, but one day you look in the mirror and go 'wow!'. I think I have a way to go, but my husband thinks I'm pretty good. I'm working hard to changing my mindset and how I view myself, which is difficult after 30+ years.

In other news, I think I need to buy a boat. I'm almost out of milk, so I might be swimming to the shops...
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    So got my body fat percentage measured...... 17.57% :) Pleased with that. It has been lower in the past, but the ranges are similar and I am pretty hopeful it's reasonably accurate given my previous measurements, charts and comparison pics I've seen online. I had the skinfolds done by a different trainer who was recommended by my usual trainer as being very experienced. She said I was in a great place to start the program given to me by my PT and with a body fat % like mine, should see visible results quite quickly. Hurrah!

So in June - which is when I am hoping to get my bigger lifts - I will get the body fat done again to compare. Good times.

dna - I hate the rain but I'd swap right now - 40 degrees here and my air con broke yesterday :'(
  • JoanMSittler
    JoanMSittler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    wow Jo. 17.57%. Those are numbers I on,y dream about. Congratulations. What is your goal for BF%
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Thanks Joan, I don't have a body fat goal, I just want to get stronger, eat more and stay lean hahaha
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Thank you guys! :heart: you're the bomb!
    Maybe it's hormones, or just being ticked that my jeans were tight, but I wanted to jump ship and find some stupid lose weight quick approach. I'm of a calmer mind now and going to take pics tomorrow to "see" how i look.
    BBC-you might be on to something...i do think my legs look better but hope pics will bear that out. Thanks for the encouragement. I guess the clothes don't always tell the story ether.

It's good to be reminded that slow and steady real DOES win the race. I get so impatient. I think it was Jo who mentioned that the changes at this stage aren't as quick...sigh. Truth. But a bummer. Lol! Don't we all want instant recomp!

Jo-you are so lean! You'll be a poster child for your trainer!

Beeps-lol! I will be in sundresses next month. I'll be in them for 7 months...our winters are short and mild! There flattering and forgiving ;).

DNA-thanks. Looking forward to that day. I'm practicing patience...hope you dry out soon!

Thanks again. I took a day off lifting on Friday. We were running around too much and my knee was killing me for some reason. I'll lift on Monday, all good. :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Made it to the gym after work and got through the 15 reps. My back was a little sore tonight for some reason but overall it wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to the smaller rep sets coming up. Now I'm enjoying my heating pad.

Day 4, B2

2x15 Deadlift @ 135 - Decided to do less than last time, had to pause during second set to re-setup. It's not bad but that many reps makes the calluses cranky.

2x15 Shoulder Press @ 15 - decided to go up a little higher with the dumbbells.
    2x15 Lat Pulldown @ 50 - same weight as last time but not bad.

2x15 Lunges @ 22.5 - tried slightly heavier this time but they were tough.
    2x15 SB Crunches - still meh.

For fun:
    3x8 Front Squat @ 50 and 3x8 OHP @‌ 50

That is all. And somehow the 3 foam roller things were all gone. No idea where they ended up, so didn't get to do that at the gym. Good thing I have a little travel one now at home.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Jo, how awesome is that? Congrats! And how did I not know you had lost so much weight? You rock! You're like a poster success story.
    Julie, yes! Consistency over time = big changes.
    dna, stay dry!
    Dawn, great numbers!

I'm officially on rest/maintenance week. Will be doing some skiing, but I'm keeping myself out of the weight room.
    Upped my RDL weights to 155 X 8 and I did a full chin-up on Friday! It was a good way to start a rest week.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    Bbc-woohoo on the chin up! WTG!, good job in the DL too! Enjoy your week!

Dawn-great workout! Good job!

I skipped Friday lifting cause my knee was killing me. Feels good today so ill be back at it tomorrow :). Shaking things up on the diet front. Hope to get something going here :).
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Julie, hang in there, you go this. My very good friend was in a hurry to lose that last bit after a year of success. The idiot tried diet pills and railroaded all of her success and now has to take BP medicine. Damn near ended up in the hospital. Slow and steady DOES win the race.

Dawn, 15@135 is crazy. You go girl. I only pulled 4x4@115. Felt decent. I can't believe how much strength I've lost over the last 4 months. :'( It's slowly coming back. Hypertrophy is awesome!!

Jo, impressive!!

BBCG, Congrats on the chin up!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I miss the newbie effect very much. That first 20lbs was so EASY to lose. Now that I am more fit, it takes everything I have to lose anything and I gain at the snap of my fingers. I never had a "muffin top" before, but I want to burn all of my pants. So I went and bought some new outfits that fit like a dream, and I"m all good now lol. (Daisy Fuentes pants are AWESOME for my pear shape and newly blubby belly.)

Lame week for getting to the gym. I think I was fighting something off AWA my period and bad weather. Today I was hot to trot and got my lift in early. Beside the DLs I did DB BP with 30s. I can do 70 with a bar, but can't get the 35s up without a spot :(.
  • dnamouse
    Options
    Sam, new clothes that fit are awesome :smile: a friend is taking me shopping either this week or next - I need help when clothes shopping as it's not my natural habitat lol

Started Hypertrophy this morning. I considered a week off, but I'm feeling better, and a new stage always does wonders for my enthusiasm :smile:

Back to 40+kg on proper deadlifts, and that makes me happy. It's nice to start at above bodyweight - good for the self-esteem lol

Up to 4x6 chin-ups, slow and steady. And 15kg dumbbell on the off-set step-ups, thank you very much! I really do need to get some kettle bells...

Need to work on my short person, dodgy core, logistics for getting on and off the bench for dumbbell bench press, but otherwise all good. My bench does incline, but it's a little rusty. I'll have to get out the wd40 and oil it up :wink:

I chose a light weight for the barbell complexes and was thinking before I started them that I'd gone too light. Ummm.... no lol By the time the 4th set rolled around, I was happy with the weight I'd chosen :wink:

Monday morning. Work to do, house to clean. It's stopped raining, so that's a bonus.

I need to sit down and work out how many weeks until our holiday and see how that effects my lifting schedule. It may require tweaking a little.
  • shellyamundson
    shellyamundson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a dilemma and would really like some input. I am almost midway through stage 7 and would really like to finish before a planned trip on March 11. Here's the dilemma part - the only way I can finish is to lift two days in a row at some point. These are really heavy, really long sets. Do you think this is a terrible idea?? Obviously don't want to hurt myself, but don't want to leave town knowing I didn't complete this really long journey! Thoughts??
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Either:

a) cut back on "how many" sets you do; or
    b) cut back on the "rest periods"

....and you can easily do the back-to-back stuff in stage 7.

You will NOT "hurt yourself"....at this point you have made it through 7 stages (and likely 5- or 6- months of workouts) and you can do back-to-back without worry.

Drink lots of water throughout work-out days, of course....and get plenty of rest.

BOOM!
  • dnamouse
    Options
    I've done back-to-back before when needed, it's definitely doable. And you're looking at a lovely time off afterwards, so heaps of time to recover if needed.

But it should be fine. You shouldn't hurt yourself, Stage 7 is annoying long (I hate high reps lol) but it's not too bad overall. Just be flexible, listen to your body and cut back if needed.

Girl is back at swimming today after a forced week off thanks to a head cold. I'm not sore from yesterday at all, and I really thought I would be. Looking forward to squats tomorrow, but really looking forward to doing deads again on Friday :smiley: they are so good for the self esteem lol

Oh, and I'm buying that kettle bell today. Free shipping off eBay, and that makes me happy :smile:
  • Julieboolieaz
    Options
    DNA-good job! Love the chin up progress!
    Shelly-you're not making a habit out of it. If you feel up to it, go for it! I like to overtrain a bit before vacation anyway :). You can always lower reps a tad if need be.
    Sam-lol! You sound like a Kohl's shopper too! Glad you're feeling and looking good! I love the Levi's there. I can wear a size 6!! I love vanity sizing, I know it's not a real size 6, but it sure does make me feel good to wear them! Great job building back your strength! Good bench! I'm working on that myself!
    And thanks for the voice of reason. I've been thinking about a shake meal replacement plan for faster weight loss, but decided against it. I'm beginning to think my deficit has been in place too long and my body is being stingy with the fat burning. So, I'm gonna slowly up cals a bit for the next week or so at least, while keeping my carbs in check and see how I feel and look. I did better at the gym today with more calories, so that's an encouraging step. Scale was down a smidge too, go figure!

I'm feeling a bit tired post lifting. Finished the first 4 weeks of Gluteal Goddess today. No visual progress in photos, or the scale, but I feel stronger and my legs and butt are improving! I added weight and reps to all the lifts, which is good too! I'll move on to the next set, weeks 5-8, on Wednesday. If I can get my 3x/week lifting in place better it will only take 4 weeks...right now I'm doing 2-3 :(.

I'm thinking of ordering another NR book. Which one do you guys like best?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    NRoL4Abs
  • dnamouse
    Options
    I've only done NROL4W and part way through Supercharged, so I'm not really qualified to say...

But I am loving Supercharged :smile: