Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Week 1, Day 1 of Couch to 5k.

Not bad overall. So much easier than my first attempt like 4-5 years ago. Helps that I weigh around 40 lbs less and have been increasing my fitness level gradually since September. My knee got a little cranky but it was achy last night when I tried focusing on heel with leg press and didn't think to lower the weight since I was doing it different than usual. Feet ache but it's more of an issue with not having days off from work in too long (as I am on my feet and often moving around all shift).

Feel much better about this attempt and think I might make it through. Last time had shin splints and pain in my side so never made it far, week 2 at the most but probably was just doing week 1 before giving up. This time, I've got a 5k in June, so I'm gonna do it.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Well done Dawn - you'll be cranking out 10k's before you know it :-)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Hello, all!

So, I trudged through sketchy/icy roads to go to the gym this morning. So glad I did and also happy that I didn't slide off the road!

Squats: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @75 and 5x5 @ 100.
    OHP: 3x5 @ 60, 2x4 @ 60. - My first failure!
    DL: 1x5 @ 125.

I didn't do anything extra as I had to give myself extra time to get home and ready for work. Plus, I got to the gym late because the roads sucked hardcore!

Dawn, I hope this time around you're successful. I have started C25K twice and never completed it. I just don't like to run.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Popping in to say "great lifting" to all of you!

Maintenance week/rest week was nice and much needed. Now back to the routine!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone is doing big things this week. Great job!!

I actually got in two lifts early in the week, and I got in a turbo kick class (different, still prefer zumba) finished Hypertrophy 2. It's pretty cool how you can lift the same weight at 12 reps that you first did with 8 reps. I like seeing that progress in a short period of time. My DL was 2x12@95 same with back squat. 4x4@ 115 3x12@ 85. I lifted on Tuesday. I went in during the first icy storm of the week and had the place to myself. Pretty awesome!. Then I was sick Wednesdaya nd Thursday. Luckily I had a snow day Thursday and had to stay with kid for their snow day today. Now I feel rested and ready to start Hypertrophy 3
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Made it to the gym after short shift at work. Good day overall as I even got writing stuff done before going in to work along with buying groceries so that I have more protein options in my house. That is my food plan pretty much, trying to get enough protein daily and the rest is just bonus. lol

Day 10, B5

deadlift 3x10 @ 145 - working on form a tad but still decided to go up to the 145 again. Not bad at 10 reps.

db should press 3x10 @ 20 - the 17.5 was in use so figured I'd go up instead of down.
    lat pulldown 3x10 @ 60 - kept this one the same as last time.

lunge 3x10 @ 25 - so heavy. I wanted the 22.5 but they were in use.
    sb crunch 3x12 - eh

For Fun:
    front squat 3x8 @‌ 50 just cause
    ohp 3x8 @ 50 taking turns with front squat

db shrug 3x10 @ 20 - trying this out but I dunno, even the 20 felt easy

assisted chin-up 1x5 @ 14 and 2x5 @ 13 - rofl... so, I guess you can be a little too short for that one. Thought I would get up the nerve to try it and I have to be on my toes to grab the bars to begin with. Then add by the time the top of my head is near the top handles, clunk go the weights. It doesn't go higher than that. Until I can pull my own weight up the rest of the way, I guess I can pull up to the top of my head instead of chin. Oh well.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    C25k Week 1, Day 2

Done. Though decided these exercise capris are better for lifting than running cause I had to pull them up and they aren't even the super loose ones. Oh well. I have a pair of shorts that aren't good for squatting I will wear next time. It's pretty nice outside.

Now to get ready to go eat panda express, helping a fundraiser, then go to work.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Shocker of a shift at work yesterday. Did a dvd at home with my 11 yr old yesterday - was fun to do it together. Combat this morning before back to work. Hope to lift tomorrow.
  • DawnEmbers
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Had a tired, cranky sort of day at work so wasn't sure how lifting would go tonight but it turned out much better than expected. Though my arms are going to be sore tomorrow.

Day 11, A6

squat 3x10 @ 115 - Moved up, which was surprising considering how I felt part of the day at work.

push-up 1x10 bench, 2x10 rail - still suck at these, my upper body strength needs some work cause my progress in general with pushups has been very minimal.
    seated row 3x10 @ 60 - kept same but will try increase when rep changes.

step-up 3x10 @ 22.5 - finally they weren't in use, got to pick the ones I wanted.
    PJ 3x12

For Fun:
    bench press 3x8 @ 75 - not bad but still a little heavy.
    db bench press 3x8 @ 25 - hard to believe I used to do a little heavier, these were tough.
    db wrist curl 3x10 @ 15 - next time I'll do these last cause it affected the other curl.
    straight bar bicep curl 3x8 @ 30 - hard cause wrists started to ache.

Now I'm ready for a day of rest. No C25k or lifting tomorrow, just an easy cashier shift at work and not much else.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    I lifted after work - it was kind of a 'just turned up' day. Tired and hungry = poor effort. Squats - keeping it light and not too deep to rest my glute so 5 x 5 @ 100lbs, OHP - moved up weight to 55lbs but only got 5,5,4,4,3. Should have gone for 5 x 190lbs with DL's but body not happy. Warmed up and got lots of reps all the way up to 155, then 2 reps of 175 and 1 rep of 190. Below my max, but not feeling good today. 3 days off at the end of the week so will hopefully be re-energised then. :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,992 Member
    Options
    My lifting schedule this week: Mon/Tues/Wed

I travel Thurs-Sun and there won't be ANY workouts to be had on this particular travel-schedule.

I will be aiming for FLAT-TUMMY for weekend travels (and dresses I will be wearing), so CRASH-diet starts NOW. I am trying to channel my inner-high-school-student when I could crash-fast with the best of 'em!!! It's only, what, 4 days? 5 days?

Mostly, I just have to eat NOTHING all night long....this time change screwed me up big-time and I certainly snacked each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Aaagggghhh!!!!!!

Anyway, it is what it is and today and tomorrow and Wednesday there will be NO snacking (day or night) and Thurs-Sun, hotel means I have NO trouble not-snacking b/c no PANTRY to be had.

BOOM!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Hey all!!

I was off work today and I'm so grateful I was. I got to sleep a little longer.

Squat: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 85, 5x5 @‌ 105
    BP: 1x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 65
    Row: 5x5 @ 65

I also did:
    Back extension: 3x8 holding a 25-pound plate
    Diagonal wood chop: 3x8@ 20
    Leg lifts: 3x8
    15 minutes HIIT on the treadmill
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    C25k Week 1, Day 3

Yeah, I have a weird schedule and and two days off from the walk/jog after day 2 instead of after day three. But I made it through week 1. Now to figure out my week 2 playlist cause I only had week 1 from someone's premade music list. I have the cues for all the weeks but it's better with music.

Tomorrow, last day of the 10 rep range. Getting near the end of stage 1. Still need to get coworker over to take progress pictures. Hopefully that will happen some time this month.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Nice work, everyone!
    Jo, I'm still awed by your DL numbers.
    Beeps good luck on the "no snacking" diet.
    Love, great numbers!
    Dawn, I would definitely have to have music for C25K. I can't jog without a beat, lol!

I finally managed some sleep last night- I think I got 9-10hrs! The kids had a stomach bug for several days and the whole family was running very low on sleep. We're all feeling better today! Hoping to lift this afternoon (lower body).
    I've been so tired of the same recipes lately. Anyone else get in a funk with food sometimes? I found this recipe and made it today: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/docs/2011/jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.pdf
    I added a small can of tomato sauce and they are perfect. So delicious! Plus I can throw them in the freezer for a quick meal later.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I did not snack last night....but, maybe because I did not eat my supper until past 9 pm!!!!

Gawd. Awful day. Anyway....today I am also starving. It is 1:21 pm and I haven't eaten anything, and I am really hungry, for sure.

I forgot to pack my lunch. And, while I thought I would get a noon-time work-out in, that also has not happened. I am about to head into a 90-minute meeting and when THAT is done, I am going to go find something to eat (for lunch).

Bet I won't snack tonight, either....since I will probably ingest my supper at 8!!!

This is dumb. I need to get my act together!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...having said ALL that, my tummy is super-flat and that is what I wanted, lol!! So, even though I did not PLAN my eating to go like this, at all, I will say that it is totally working for flattening out my tummy.

GO WATER! GO STARVATION!
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Beeps-flat tummy is nice though!
    Bbc-glad you're all feeling better and getting some sleep!
    Dawn-great lifts!
    Jo-glad you're not overdoing it on your glutes!
    Love-good job braving the elements to lift!
    Sam-you too! Love seeing progress so quickly!!

I'm only getting about 2 lifts in a week lately :(. Too busy and between gyms squeezing in to s temporary place.hope the new gym will open soon, I feel homeless :(. Still lifting, still liking the strong curves GG. Dd(14) told me my butt looked good the other day! :blush: I'll take it!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I just realised I hadn't checked in a little bit. Sick kids, busy at work and just feeling crappy really. I think maybe because it's getting so close to our holiday that I'm getting impatient :wink: and everything is annoying me because I want to be on that beach now dammit! Lol
    Although, day two of TOM today so I am feeling particularly precious :wink: I will be digging down into work today to try and clear some space for a coffee date tomorrow hopefully.

Beeps, that's sometimes how my days plan out. But I rarely eat after 8pm. Mostly because I start putting the kids to bed at 7.30 and by the time we get through the teeth and toilet routine and then they both have a daily debrief, say prayers and whatever else they try and pull to stay up later, it's well and truly after 8 and I'm stuffed lol
    Sometimes life happens and you just gotta flow with it :smile:

Did that make any sense??? It's 6am and I'm sitting at the pool and I don't think my coffee has kicked in yet.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ...I NEVER eat (supper) late!!!!!!!! Literally, I eat my lunch at 12:30 pm or 1:00 pm everyday (because I skip breakfast, and then work-out, I am pretty HANGRY by noon!) and I eat my supper between 5:30 and 6:30 pm every single night.

So, when I "skip" a meal, it is a freakin' accident and it is horrible and I am HUNGRY.

(This excludes any purposeful "fasting" that I do....which doesn't happen very much anymore because it messes with my sleep....)

I think, in a perfect world, if I ate at 12:00 pm, had a apple-snack at 4:00 pm and had supper at 8:00 pm, I would probably be MUCH happier and much closer to my natural rhythm.

So, yes, when the kids are grown and gone and moved out, I am TOTALLY gonna do a 12:00 pm "first meal of the day", a 4:00 snack and 8:00 dinner with my husband.

BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Thanks Julie. Sounds like you're doing great still.

Oh today. I forgot to bring both my chicken (dinner) and the protein shake to work. I prefer drinking it at work instead of after lifting cause it's almost 1 am and I'm still trying to finish it. Ended up eating chicken jerky for dinner instead of my planned dinner. Tomorrow will be rough cause I have an odd middle of day shift and will need to get up earlier than usual to get C25K done. At least lifting tonight went fine.

Day 12, B6

deadlift 3x10 @ 145 - heavy but not too bad

db shoulder press 3x10 @ 20 - while i tried to figure out what a group of guys were doing, still not sure, lol
    lat pulldown 3x10 @ 60 - will try 70 next time

lunge 3x10 @ 22.5 - the 25 was a little too heavy last time
    sb crunch 3x12 - meh

For Fun:
    leg press 3x10 @ 90 - focused on heel more
    good morning 3x8 @ 45 - interesting, tad awkward as it was the first time trying it
    row 5x5 @ 95 - with bumper plates, was interesting not stacking any to get the height
    glue bridge 3x10 body weight

Now to finish this pesky protein drink and get some sleep.