Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    jo_marnes wrote: »
    Hubby got made redundant yesterday :'( Kinda stressful here right now.

Jo, what does that mean? I'm sorry that it's been stressful. *big hugs* Hopefully, things will get better!

So, I decided to skip yoga this morning and slept in. I'm so glad that I did!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    Sorry, jo_m....lots of job-loss around here (I still am not working "full-time" and it has been 7 months since I lost my full-time job! But I am working "part-time" and thank goodness for that!)

• Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Ah, sorry Jo :( I'll keep my fingers crossed that he is employed again soon.

Great day over here. I've lost 5.5 pounds in the last four weeks, which means I am a winner of the pot in Round 1 of the six month Dietbet I'm a part of. I do have fat to lose, even though I care more about inches than the scale, but needed to put my money where my mouth is ;) to stay motivated. If I do well over the six months I will put my winnings towards new clothes :)

I also finished Hypertrophy 2 today and did pretty well. Made some good gains on upper body (especially three point rows and DB bench press) and my step ups today were great: 2x12 with a 55lb barbell. However, something is going on with my knees in that the last few times I've done squats (back or elevated split with a BB across my back), they aren't happy. I feel very unstable. No problems with the step ups, RDL or SLRDL though. I did do a bit of jogging and I hadn't all winter, so maybe it was that. I might take a break from squats on Hypertrophy 3 and see how they feel afterward. I have to go so low (I think) for weight in back squats, just to keep my form, that I hate doing them anyway :pensive:

I am almost scared to look ahead at H3 and see what I'm in for!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Bugger Jo. Been there, and it's not fun. Hope he finds something bigger and better really soon xx

I have decided that 20 reps of anything is just plain horrific :wink: But I finished H1 this morning and I'm still alive lol

Now to decide what to do. I have 3 weeks left until our trip. I could take next week 'off', as in take it easy, no scheduled lifting days and then do half of H2 before leaving. Or I could cut back to 2 lifting days a week for the next three weeks, or.... dunno lol I have the weekend to think about it!

I spent over 3 hours this morning packaging orders and filling in paperwork. Lunch has consisted of a cup of tea, some almonds and a mini muffin (sooo good - cinnamon & pear on a quinoa/buckwheat/brown rice flour base). And then I flew out the door again to get the kids and drive the boy child to a birthday party (which is why I had mini muffins... I also made him gf/lf pizza so he could eat food for dinner similar to the other kids). Meh. Sometimes stuff happens.

I did, however, sleep a little better last night.

And now I'm out the door to buy a present for another birthday party tomorrow lol Not sure what dinner will be, don't care. Am going to lay major hints to the husband to go pick up the boy child though lol
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    @Dawn - outdoor biking is the best! I had to put my bike away again as it started to snow but I'm looking forward to the snow melting permanently here. I need to get my 'seat' back in shape so I can bike again in comfort. I have an indoor stationary that I use a bit but it isn't close to the same. At least it's something though. When I did C25K last year I re-did a few weeks as well, not a bad way to go if you aren't feeling up to increasing. Good luck!!

@Jo - Ugh! I'm so sorry. We're going through something similar right now. Job hunting is horrible and stressful.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Jo, I'm sorry!!!
    Keep up the nice work ladies! Sounds like everyone is busy, but still fitting in workouts and making an effort to live a fit lifestyle. THAT is inspiring.
  • Smallc10
    Options
    I just took my measurements! I'm so thrilled. It's been about 6 weeks since I started working out again, I'm almost done with Stage 1 and I didn't realize I would see these results already!

I've lost 4 lbs only, but the biggest thing is I've lost 8 cm off of my hips! I can't believe it! I've been thinking I could see a change but I didn't think it would be that significant. I also lost 5 cm from my waist and 1 from each thigh.

NROL4W is amazing, that's all I can say. Plus I look forward to the gym, so, that's a huge bonus.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Way to go smallc10! Measurements are so much more indicative of change than weight.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Busy times it seems.

Smallc - great on the measurements. It's so awesome as is those 4 lbs. Well done. Oh and, I do figure I will have to repeat weeks on C25K. Just the extra day on week 2 was just from not having the cues ready, it's actually still not difficult for me. We'll see how week 3 goes tomorrow as it's got 90 second jog then walk followed by set of 3 minute jog then walk. Though the generic cues i found to put music to is a bit off on the 3 minute walk. It says 3 minutes but the actual time lapse on the walk is 5 minutes.

I enjoyed today in that I didn't have work. Only getting one day off a week can be a little rough but making it so far, though I need to put out more applications for a second job. Just nice to have a day where I don't have to wear the same outfit or stand on my feet for 8 hours. I did laundry, bought food and got a little writing done.

Last regular workout for Stage 1. I've looked over Stage 2 and I'm already uncertain but I will still give it a try in April. Though after the AMRAP thing I have a few extra days, so I'm going to try out some of the bits from each day of stage 2 just to know where I need to be in the gym and what to do when I do them since it's only 8 days total for that one. For some reason, tonight was pretty weak. I struggled on some of the lifts, got them done but they felt heavy. Not the best end so I'm hoping the AMRAP goes better.

Day 16, B8

deadlift 3x8 @ 155 - so freakin' heavy. And I never notice my calluses until I do this lift.

db shoulder press 3x8 @ 20 - kept same weight and at least this one felt easy.
    lat pulldown 3x8 # 70 - felt heavy even though I did it last time at this weight.

lunge 3x8 @ 22.5 - not so much heavy but right knee was not happy.
    SB crunch 3x15 - meh

For fun:
    front squat 3x8 @ 55 - struggled in warm up at first with just the bar, hit the safety on the left side and was just off, but it got better and managed to add a little weight.
    OHP 3x8 @ 55 - this felt pretty good at least.
    db shrug 3x10 @ 25 - these feel weird but i'm trying them still.
    assisted pull-up machine - 2x8 & 1x7 @ 14 - struggled with these.

Not the best night but I made it through.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    C25K Week 3, Day 1

Not bad though the 3 minute jogs were challenging. I probably should have cut out the extra minutes on the one walk when I made the playlist in audacity since the cue says 3 minutes and the time is actually 5 minutes, but oh well. Wasn't a bad one overall and we'll see how the next 2 days for the week go.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone :D<3 Fingers crossed a better opportunity is around the corner for him xx

Dawn - Nice work, keep it up. Yep, those darn calluses - I hear 'ya

Smallc10 - great progress! Well done you. Sorry to hear your family has the job hunting stress too - it sucks!

dna - anything over 10 reps sucks in my opinion. I have some work which is 12 or 15 reps at the moment and it's awful!! 20 would be the WORST.

Pudding - great results! Be proud! H3 will be tough but then you get to do S&P which is much more fun - enjoy!!

Me? My body is objecting at the moment. My glute is still bothering me, despite my +++ stretching my hip flexors are refusing to join the party and the overall effect is that of crappy lifts with crappy form. Ugh. Had a bad session Fri, gave myself yesterday off. Combat today. Working tomorrow and can never fit in going to the gym (Monday is scheduled rest day usually) so will wait until Tues. Hopefully that will give my body (and my head) enough time to get back in the game.

My PT watched me do DLs the other day (was a crappy session) and has offered to help me with my form next weekend when she is free, which is lovely of her. Apparently I round my back a little - I tried to change this Friday but my issue is all about my darn hips being so tight. I struggle to get low enough to start my lifts and so the issue is there before I even pick the bar up. Grrrrr. Why can't something be simple for once? Also - the lock out. She says I don't push my hips forward enough.... so I tried this but it felt weird. As if it wasn't great for my lower back. Which I thought the whole point was that it took the load off the back? Ugh. Fed up - DLs was the one lift I didn't think I had a problem with. Now apparently I'm just *kitten* at all of it.

And there is my negative headspace again..... I'm going to combat now.......
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I started NROLFW back up, previously I only got through stage 2 and fell out of it for a number of reasons. I'm committed to getting through the full program this time! I'll be ready for workout #3 of workout B tomorrow. I already feel stronger and am progressing, I love that. I've lost over 60 pounds since I started trying to lose weight again, now I'm mainly focused on losing fat and gaining muscle.
  • Smallc10
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Dawn - I remember it getting hard when each day was a different workout. I fell of the bandwagon when it asked me to run for 25 minutes straight but that was due to a leg problem that I ended up having to have surgery to fix. I know you can do it!

Jo - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys! When I lost my last job I ended up getting a much better job right afterwards. Sometimes it is just fate!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Nice Smallc!
    Best of luck Jo.
    Welcome cherry, sounds like you're off to a good start.

I Had a rough weekend. The hypersomnia kicked my butt. It happens sometimes. On the bright side the bloat is gone. My belly is flatter and I tightened my belt. I think getting to the gym four days a week is definitely helping.

Got into the gym this morning for my Sunday workout.
    Turkish get up 10x7.5
    Side step up 4/5@30dba
    Single arm bench press 4/5 @25, 30, 30, 35
    Inverted row 4/5
    Over head squat 4/5@45 totally rocked the bar!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Good job ladies!

Did the Bataan Memorial Death March today. This is my fourth year, and though very grueling, is very sobering and for a great cause! I am soooo sore. Walked about 16 miles in some punishing terrain :) I have been doing the 26 miles, but I thought to change it up!

Lift on ladies!!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all :smiley:

Welcome Cherry :smile:

Well, I've given myself permission to sleep in these next few weeks. Because, you know, I have to give myself permission to do these things, stupid must-hyper-schedule-everything brain. I'm on go slow. Stuff everything else.

Decided that I would workout if/when I felt like it.

So I slept in a bit this morning. Got up, had a relaxed breakfast (well, as relaxed as you can get on a school morning), did some work, took kids to school, ran errands, did a bit more work. And then I needed a break. And all the gear was set up in the gym for Hypertrophy 2. So I just got changed and did it. Most relaxed session I've had in aaaggggeees. Even managed a highest weight for my front squat at 28kg/61lb-ish (4x4).

I even let the cat come in a chat to me while I lifted. She thought that was pretty special and then got bored and left me alone lol

So sleeping in it is then. I'll work around it. Hoping it will help me deal with the heightened stress levels floating around.

I'll just do an extended H2, a bit before our holiday and another round afterwards before moving on.

Lunch break over, I need to get back to work! lol
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    smallc - Yeah, the weeks 5 and 6 are varied and then week 7 is 25 minutes jogging. Last time I tried I don't even know if I made it to week 2 let alone past it but that was at over 200 lbs and also trying zumba. Though in the later weeks I may need a new route. Near my apartment is around 3 miles but half of it involves inclines in certain spots. I might want to try a more even terrain at first.

Sounds like people are doing good. I'm all for sleeping in, dnamouse, but I get to do it on a regular basis because I work close shifts and have no family yet. I try to get up at a decent time to work on writing and other online obligations since I moderate a writing web site, but sometimes I just sleep.

Slow day at work. Think I did maybe 2-3 sets of photo orders in the whole 6 hours. We got out early enough at least and the AMRAP didn't take that long so even with accessory work I was home before midnight. Not a fan of the whole many reps for one set thing, to be honest. Oh well.

AMRAP A

squat 95 1x25 - could have done a little more but was tired of doing the same set at that point. After 20 it was like, why am I still doing this set...

seated row 50 1x25 - got tough near the end. I did this first instead of pushup cause I like it more.

push-up from rail 1x22 - almost quit at 20 but decided to push out a couple more.

skipped step up just cause, and i plan to skip a couple on day B as I don't care how many crunches i can do

prone jackknife smaller ball 1x20 - glad I could get more than 15 but around 15 and above is challenging still

For fun:
    bench 3x8 @ 80 - almost didn't get all the reps
    db bench 3x8 @‌ 25 - not bad
    skipped bicep curl
    wrist curl 3x10 @ 15

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    Cardio Day - C25K Week 3 Day 2

Not bad overall. Normally, I take monday off from both lifting and cardio but I'm switching my schedule around again since the recent plan was based on having thursday off from work and I've been working thurday anyways. So, I'm going to switch back to lifting on thursday night instead of the lift late wednesday and try to jog thursday before going in to work on freight. Week 3 is odd cause the 3 minute jogs are tough but there are only two of them and the overall time is like 18 minutes for the intervals. I'm left with a fair amount of walking left to get home. Though can't imagine going for 25 minutes of just jogging yet.

Have to wait and see how it goes.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Today:

Squats: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115 and 5x5 @ 135. Finally got to do the big girl plates! And I finally felt challenged. I had to really push my breaths out during the last rep on the last two sets. I love it! I'll do this weight again on Wednesday.
    Bench: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65 and 5x5 @ 80. Um, yeah, gonna stay here for at least another day too. While I wasn't in danger of failing, I was so scared that I would! Got them all back up though!
    Row: 5x5 @ 80. Easy peasy.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    I squished in a workout after lunch today and it was.....AWFUL.

I don't think I have done a workout, NOT fasted, in at least 2 years!!!! So, I was nauseous throughout. How do you gals workout after eating?!?!?? OMG!!! I cannot do it! I can't!

Anyway, I did it, so "BOOM!" for me....but, from now on, I HAVE to squish in my workouts before lunch....I just HAVE TO.