Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    It's "high rep" month for me. Bleh. Next month I will rotate back to lower reps. The good news is higher reps require less rest for me so I can actually fly through the workouts circuit style.

That's awesome! High reps require MORE rest, for me....I think my asthma kicks in and I really need to rest between/among exercises. Blech.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong- I am completely winded the entire time. But since high reps are more of a "cardio" workout for me, I'm not aiming for any PRs, so I just push through it. I can't imagine having asthma and working out- you rock!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good day, Jo!

I forgot to post yesterday, but I finally ran across a couple of *those* people in the gym. One woman was doing goblet squats directly in front of the dumbbell rack. And then a couple of guys came over and proceeded to curl directly in front of the dumbbell rack as well. I was at least able to walk around the woman (even though I was slightly annoyed). The guys totally blocked me from being able to put my dumbbells back though. And I was at the end of my workout too! I was ready to go home. I actually stood there and stared at them the entire time. I'm sure I burned a hole into the sides of their heads. I've never encountered any of those types since I joined the gym in June of last year. I hope I never do again.

Beeps, how was Book of Mormon?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Long day leading up to an interesting time in the gym. My biceps sure felt it tonight but that in part is probably from hours of working freight including cases of water and teas that I had to carry through a passkey protected door then open the cooler door before being able to put down again. Got a lot done at least. Since I did front squats last time, I decided to try some of the things from workout B from stage 2 tonight. I skipped all of the crunches though. And I did them in different order based on what was the most convenient at the time. Felt weird carrying my book in a small bag to double check on some of the lifts but oh well.

Random Workout, parts from Stage 2 B

underhand lat pulldown 3x10 @ 60 - wasn't sure at first but not bad overall, I may like it.

db prone cuban snatch 3x8 @ 5 - the weight is easy but the motion is awkward, had to fix the seat after the first set.

bulgarian split squat 3x8 each foot @ 10 - yeah, a lune but not bad though the bench may be too high for me, I might try a smaller step next time.

wide-grip deadlift from box 3x8 @ 95 - Don't like lugging the step around but it turned out to be better than I first expected. I used a set of plates to get the bar up a little higher which barely fit alongside the long step but made it work.

Considered doing the other lunge but chickened out as I was putting away the step I'd be using for it since other people were in the room where they are kept for class use.

Extra
    wide grip lat pulldown 3x8 @ 70 - these were hard to get all the reps done.
    db shrug 3x10 @ 27.5 - little more challenging now.
    assisted chin-up 3x8 @ 14 - tad easier this time, still so long to go.

Yay for day off work tomorrow!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_what_if_we_re_wrong_about_diabetes/transcript?language=en
    Fascinating TED MED talk about obesity and insulin resistance. As many of you know I'm hypoglycemic so this hits home for me.

Had a killer Zumba class Wednesday. I was super high energy. Hell, I could have taught the class. No workout last night :( and today is a mystery because I'm home again with my 8yo who once again can't keep anything down. Up all night sick. :'(
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Welcome Back Red! Here's hoping for that barbell. Any weighted bars or big dumbbells at least?
    Love, are you doing 5x5? Yes, those people can be highly annoying. I have no problem saying excuse me in my ever so polite way that comes off more like "Move b*tch, get out the way..."
    Julie, hooray for new gym and I hope mom is well.
    Sounds impressive Jo.
    Thank you Barbell. I've been avoiding pics and measuring like the plague. My clothes have been SO TIGHT lately. I'm not a happy camper.
    I'm with you Beeps, the high reps kill the asthma. I can blow through the reps fast but then I need time to catch my breath again. It's the fact that it's only two sets that make the workout so quick. Even if I rest for two full minutes, I'm still saving time.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    Lovetowrite. - The Book of Mormon was AWESOME! Soooooo funny and I loved every single foul-mouthed moment of it.

:)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    Glad you loved the play!

Sam, yeppers, doing SL 5x5. I'm loving it though I'm now approaching squat weight that's actually challenging and I've been psyching myself out of going higher.

Today's workout:
    Squat: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115 and 5x5 @ 135, with only 90-second rests, so I'll go up to 140 on Monday.
    Bench: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65 and 5x5 @ 80. Again, only 90-second rests so I'll move up to 85 on Wednesday. I'll also make sure I have someone spot me.
    Row: 5x5 @ 85. These are getting tough now. I can get the first 3 reps up pretty well but those last two, especially in the last 2 sets, were rough! I try to make sure I don't use momentum to pull them up.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Cardio Day

Couch to 5k, Week 4 Day 1

I went to the park this time and think I like it more. While there are many more people and dogs, there aren't cars to worry about, streets to cross or needing to pause music due to timing of traffic light. It's not flat but not too bad if I pick my route well enough. Think I'll do the C25K there whenever possible.

lovetowrite - Nice work. Rows still feel awkward when I try them, it was the lift I was most uncertain about when doing SL. You're doing good, so keep it up. :smile:
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Today's workout:
    Squat: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115 and 5x5 @ 135, with only 90-second rests, so I'll go up to 140 on Monday.
    Bench: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65 and 5x5 @ 80. Again, only 90-second rests so I'll move up to 85 on Wednesday. I'll also make sure I have someone spot me.
    Row: 5x5 @ 85. These are getting tough now. I can get the first 3 reps up pretty well but those last two, especially in the last 2 sets, were rough! I try to make sure I don't use momentum to pull them up.

I'm so jealous! My injury and hip inflexibility are ruining SL for me :( I'm only going up to 100lbs with my squats (physio doesn't want me doing them at all!). Got my DL's checked yesterday and my tight hip flexors are causing me to slightly round my back on the first part of the lift (it's complicated to explain). So now I've got to reduce the weight and get doing some high reps to practice doing it right - AND sort my hip flexors out.... which is also an issue :(

My bench is stuck at 70lbs, my OHP is at 57lbs, rows are at 105lbs. That said, because of my hip inflexibility I row from a bench, not the floor as my hips prevent good form. So over my body right now - it won't do anything I want it to do! I hurt my glute almost 4 months ago now and it is still not right, the stretches the PT and physio have given me have only revealed new problems and I haven't had a good lifting session in longer than I can remember. My June goals have gone out the window and I am totally fed up.

I'm glad all you girls are doing so well - it makes me feel like there is hope! Lol
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Had a rough day before gym due to having a headache for over 24 hours. It wasn't intense or anything, just insistent and made sleep annoying along with nausea during work. But at the gym, things got better. After trying out some of the things for Stage 2 workout A, I decided to test bench just for the fun of it. Did a warm up with a couple sets of 5 then just worked my way up doing sets of 3 reps and taking breaks in between. Didn't have a spotter but I made it up to 100. So goal checked off list after all. :grinning:

Random Workout, parts from Stage 2 A

front squat/push press 3x8 @ 55 - Tad heavy by end. I'll either do this weight on day 1 or 5 less, depends how I feel.

static lunch 3x8 @ 10 - used step with one set of risers in the classroom using one of the plates from the weight sets the classes use. Not so bad for a lunge.

db 1 point row 3x8 @ 15 - oh dear... balance and glad not many were in the gym and/or at the dumbbell section. Good thing it's paired with step up cause then I can do them both tucked away and not by the benches or racks of weights.

cable horizontal wood chop 3x8 @ 10 - different. I didn't do the rope attachment but should maybe make the effort next time.

For Fun:

Bench: 1x5 55, 1x5 65, 1x3 75, 1x3 85, 1x3 90, 1x3, 95 and the big 1x3 100. Woot! No way I could get 5x5 with that weight but I could lift it and more than once, so I'm happy.

wrist curls 3x10 @‌ 15

Hopefully I can sleep better tonight. Monday I test regular squat with hope of getting 165 at least once or more.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I have been lurking here a bit but I have been mostly off the wagon so not contributing. I weighed myself on Friday morning and I have hit 160lbs so I am pretty horrified with myself. Now I am back to being determined to lose this excess fat. I WILL lift 3 times a week and I am getting back into running. Sexy body here I come!!

Jo, that really sucks that you are still suffering. I hope you get some good stretches/exercises from your PT to work it out.

Dawn and Love your numbers are incredible. Congratulations on hitting 100lbs Dawn. I have only recently added bench press into my routine and I suck at it. I wanted to ask for a spotter in the gym the other day but I was embarrassed that I needed one to bench press 27.5kg (about 60lbs).
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    jo - I hope you start feeling better! It's so hard when you're injured and you just want to be able to do things the way you use to be able to. Stay with it!

Dawn - Looks like you are doing good with figuring out Stage 2! The db 1 point row is awful. I'm going to fall and hurt myself doing those I think. I did find for me at least the heavier weight actually helped and wearing my lifting shoes was a ton better than regular tennis shoes. I'm going to be changing shoes quite a bit during this workout, ugh...

Yesterday I practiced Stage 2 exercises with someone form checking me.

FSPP @ 30lbs - I have ZERO flexibility in my shoulders apparently, so I started with a low weight, can probably up this a bit, but I'm going to need to take this slow and work on my shoulders in order to get proper form

Static lunges and bulgarian split squats are really awkward - I'm going to have to practice these before adding weight. I think the bench might be too tall for me

Lat pull down @ 40 lbs - can go heavier but I was having problems finding my spot on the bar. Once I got that down it was smooth sailing.

Prone cuban snatches @ 7.5 lb dbs - so awkward - def not my favorite but I found them quite difficult even at a low weight so obviously I need to be doing it, probably has a lot to do with my shoulder flexibility as well

Wood Chop @ 20lbs - I really like this! I think I'll be adding this in to my old routine when I'm done with nrolf4w

I added a bench press in yesterday and was able to do 5 @ 65 and 2 @ 75 so I'm happy with that! I'll be adding these in because I miss them along with regular old squats because I'm a glutton for punishment.

This is going to be interesting! I think I'll end up liking stage 2 though
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    DouMc - I started trying bench when I first joined the gym (though I'd done it before, many moons ago, hehe). When the PT gave me the tour and first free session, I struggled to lift the bar. That was at the end of October. During NROLFW, I've done bench and dumbbell bench as accessories because I kind of like the lift and didn't want to just quit after the 12 weeks on SL where it's one of the main ones. I also go at 11 pm so not always people around and it was pretty empty last night. I just know if I can't get it all the way up there is the lower spot to rack (and I don't use clips in case of needing to bail that way). I have once, since joining, had 1 person offer a spot but I didn't need it at the time. She was nice though.

Smallc - Overall, stage 2 doesn't look too bad though I haven't done anything in correct order and I haven't attempted the trio of crunches and such as I don't wanna. I will during the 8 weeks but not going to on my messing around in the gym time. I did feel ridiculous trying to balance on one foot while doing the row and I'm sure I will be someone's weird person at the gym story because of that. It might just make me appreciate the pendlay rows from SL a little more, lol. I will like some of the lifts for sure. Some I'll be sad when the 8 workouts end, the others I will rejoice (seriously, why all the crunches *grumbles*).

Cardio - Couch to 5k, Week 4 Day 2

Not bad. Still tough, especially near the end but I make it through the jogging each time and part way in the cool down it's like "is that all?"... Though would be better without the cramps, bleh. Now to curl up, maybe eat and get ready for work.
  • DouMc
    Options
    Thats a good idea about leaving off the clips in case of failure. i think I will do that in future. I just felt that I bailed a rep or two earlier than I had to because I was afraid of failing and having to shout for someone to help me!
    Is week 4 when you do 5 minute and 3 minute runs? I finished C25K ages ago and when I run by myself I can run for up to an hour (if i'm in the mood) but I am really really slow. Last week I joined a work mate who is doing C25k and the 5 minute intervals nearly killed me! I think it was because we went much faster than I normally go but I was dying by the end of it! I definitely need to work on my speed!

The row on one foot (can't remember what its called) is really hard but I actually found it easier with a heavier weight. Keep at it, you will get used to the movement.

Small, I could never do the FSPP because I don't have the flexibility to hold the bar properly. Instead I did a set of front squats using a cross arm grip and then did a set of overhead press using the same weight. I'm sure I missed out on some of the benefits of the exercise but it was all I could do.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Yeah. Week 4 is 3 minute jog, 90 second walk, 5 minute jog, 2.5 minute walk. Still can't imaging the 20 minute jog at end of week 5, but I'm going to do week 4 at least 5 days as I'm taking 3 days off soon.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You guys, I am such a moron. I have been doing my Supercharged Hypertrophy complexes all wrong :P When it said 5 reps of each of three exercises, I thought you did one of each exercise, then repeated five times to complete a set. No no no. I'm supposed to be doing 5 reps of exercise one, 5 reps of exercise two, and 5 of exercise 3. Duh! Only took me until Hypertrophy 3 to realize this! :blush:
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Pudding, that confused me LOL (but I've also been cutting back on my coffee, so my brain may still be muddled :wink: )
    With the complexes, isn't it all 3 exercises done together in one fluid-ish motion (eg, I do clean, squat & press) which is 1 rep. Then do that for however many reps(8 in H1, 5 in H2) = 1 set. Did that make sense?? lol

In other news, sleeping is happening in this house more. I've re-structured my work days around workouts and I'm lifting more. Funny that lol

Easy-ish 4x4 straight pull-ups yesterday, which makes me very happy. Am up to 3x8 chin-ups, so very close to my 10 reps by my birthday goal.

No walking group this afternoon due to buddy having sick munchkins :sob: But that's okay. I need to clean the house anyway lol

I did a naughty thing and lifted today as well as yesterday because we are leaving for the Easter weekend on Thursday night and I've managed to volunteer for the kid's swimming carnival that day, so I'll be on my feet all day and completely shattered for the 3 hour drive interstate. I'll get my 3rd lifting session in on Wednesday.

This weekend is all about family and chilling out. Staying at my brother's farm house while he's working (gotta love family with extra dwellings lol), and I think there will be jet skiing and kayaking involved somewhere as well as lots of yummy food. We don't do chocolate or the Easter Bunny, but we have some friends coming with us, so we're doing a little egg hunt for their kids - my two will enjoy pretending as they help them search for the eggs :smile: Must remember not to put anything too close to the fence where the alpacas are... :wink:

And then!! Come home and pack for our holidayyyy!!!!
    Yay!!

And somewhere in there work out when the hell I'm going to get a birthday party for the boy organised... I promised them both parties this year. His is going to be a logistical nightmare, but we'll manage it, I hope!

Okay, that was my long-winded essay for the week.

Be good, eat well and throw heavy things around :mrgreen:
  • DouMc
    Options
    Dawn, the 20 minute run is hard but it is doable. And when you are finished you will be amazed at what you can achieve!

Pudding, I haven't gotten to hypertrophy yet but now I am confused about what the complexes are, I would have thought that the way you did it originally was correct. I have never done complexes though so I don't know.

Dna, sounds like you have some fun times ahead. your easter plans sound great. I also have to lift two days in a row because we are going to visit the in-laws straight after work on Thursday and I agreed to go running after work on Wednesday with a friend so my plan for the week looks like lifting Monday and Tuesday, running on Wednesday, eating on Thursday ( :cookie::smiley: ), horse riding on Friday and lifting on Saturday. I will also try to get in either a hike or a run at the weekend.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Everything I've looked at online shows complexes as being done this way; If you are doing a deadlift, row, and then overhead press, you do all your reps of the DL, then all your reps of the row, then all the reps of the OHP. Take a little break, do another set. I had been doing one DL, one row, one OHP. Repeat five times or however many times the reps were, then break, then set two.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    Good lifting, ladies!