Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yay for lines indeed!! And pudding, you will get there!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Adding a woot for the lines too. :wink:

Ended up lifting last night after work because coworker wasn't able to make it due to her mother-in-law's recent health issues. So, I did lifting then cardio late at the bigger gym. I must admit I'll miss the pool and sauna just a little even though I rarely used them.

For fun I did a 1 rep max on bench to video for a bodybuilding.com thing. Will have a youtube of it once I get my dropbox or bluetooth to cooperate so I can combine videos since I didn't show the paper before the lift, but did with the weigh in (showed after the lift cause awkward enough filming at big gym). Had the one guy I see all of the time offer to help me film if I wanted different angles to check form, so that was nice. I might need to do that next time. Film my working set cause I'd never seen myself bench press before. Short clips are up on instagram cause I was excited.

62 Upper Power

1 rep attempts
    115 - had a decent pause and went way easier than expected considering I failed last time I tried it back in beginning of November.
    125 - not as much of a pause so not 100 percent it counts in the thing but I still got it up so I'm counting it as my one rep max cause OMG. Made my year goal already on bench. Woot!

bench press 1x4 and 2x3 @ 110 - tired so struggled cause rep test thing
    db incline 2x10 and 1x8 @ 35 - same, okay but feeling it
    OHP 2x5 and 1x2 and 1x3 - I got bit off on the last set so ended up splitting it up
    lat pull 3x10 @ 80 - nothing unusual
    overhead tri ext 3x10 @ 40 - did between lat pull sets

Also tried the rowing machines, not sure what I was doing but did it for 15 minutes. Then did an easy swim followed by less than 10 minutes in the sauna. Kind of like that so need to go in there again even if it means wearing a pesky swim suit. I have one that was my mom's and it's cute but bought more for the look than anything else, but covers my stomach so that's a plus. Tad big. I need to get my own suit this summer.

Tonight will be lower power at small gym after work.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    Dawn, how come you don't have your own swimsuit?!?!?! For sure go get one that you like!
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi 7year congrats on the lines!
    Hi Pudding Kim's right just keep at it.
    Hi Nufertiri
    Congrats Kim on the pr. You have just done wonderfully. I assume this means no more back troubles.
    Beeps how did you like Strong?
    Dawn can we see your video?

So last week was a bit of a yuk week, sore joints muscles etc. but whatever bug it was seems to be gone! It was my second week with the trainers and I have decided to drop the Monday one. We really didn't see eye to eye on the weights, she didn't really use them. Anyway the good news was they refunded my money for the Monday sessions, even the ones I had done. I think I will keep the Wednesday trainer but I will decide for sure this week. I have to say Friday working out on my own was the happiest for me. So I technically finished stage 1 level 1 NROLF4W but I am planning on doing at least one more a and b. Then maybe switch to a different NR book. I am think my shoulders aren't going to do well with over head push stuff.

• kimiuzzell
    Options
    Thanks mmebouchon. I'm still very aware of my back, and can feel something at times but nothing like it was and I am paying lots of attention to when it kicks in so I can work out what I am doing wrong.

Glad your getting your trainers sorted out and yay for finishing stage 1. I quite liked stage 2 once I'd worked my way around it.

Rest day for me today after 5 workout days last week. Will be reading up on kettlebells though...!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Beeps - Just haven't swam much in years. Aside from the uncomfortable factor with swimsuits while being obese, I was in small town wyoming and northern utah, so just didn't really have the need for one.

Bench video... I have a couple clips up on instagram (username is Fiction2Fitness) and I will be making a youtube video once I can get the thing to download on dropbox or something to get it from phone to laptop. I have to combine two videos for a competition thing on bodybuilding.com but once I get it together, I'll post in here and the Stronglift group.

Tonight was kinda meh. Really long workout trying to figure things out and get all set up that I needed. Squat had some issues, plus the weights shifted more than usual so I finally used the clips. Will deload if next weekend doesn't go better. Did try rack pulls but the lowest setting is too high for me and even standing on a 45 plate it wasn't quite right. Will have to work on that one. Took forever to get through everything but I don't work for the next two days as long as no one calls me in. Going to be a late night and tomorrow is rest day.

63 - Lower Power

squat 3x3 @ 185 - barely. Rough this time and had some plate moving issues.
    deadlift 3x3 @ 205 - not bad. Skipped using the straps this time cause long rest periods and set ups.
    leg press 3x8 @ 220 - okay.
    leg curl 3x8 @ 80 - easier on the small gym machine
    squat jumps on aerobic step with 4 risers per side, still awkward but need to work on jumping
    hip thrust 3x8 @ 115 - they don't have 35 plates and I had to weight down the bench to keep from moving but made it work. Also, no bar padding, so that will be a challenge.
    rack pull 2x5 @ 135 - attempted but will need work plus I'm short...

Now to finish typing things up and get some sleeps. Yay day off!
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Dawn - I will be following you on instagram just as soon as I can get home and watch the Royal Rumble (wrestling!), until then I have to STAY AWAY from social media for fear of spoilers :)

Forgot to post on Friday for workout B (which went well), and just got back from workout A.

Nothing particular of note, except that my squats have been useless for about 3 weeks now, and today I was determined that they were going to be better (my knees have been caving something serious).

So today I narrowed my stance and TA-DA, all fixed! I guess over time my stance has gotten wider and wider until I was basically sumo squatting. Felt awesome to feel good squatting though - I suspect my depth was a little shallow, but one thing at a time!

There was a trainer there with an older lady client doing basically everything I was doing - haha. Step-ups onto a box, DB 3 point rows, pushups from something high (she was using the box, I was using the smith). Her form was pretty dam good though, I think she's a dance teacher or something (figured this out while eavesdropping).

And I caught a look at myself in one of the huge mirrors and can POSSIBLY see a little waist and thigh disappearing, so that's good! I'll be taking measurements at the end of the month and I'd really like to see some improvements!

Have a great day all

• kimiuzzell
    Options
    Ooh good news on noticing a difference in your shape!!

No gym for me today...rest day. But I did go out at lunchtime and buy a 6kg and an 8kg kettlebell and farmers walked them from the store to the car, including two flights of stairs. My arms certainly felt it!!!
  • 7yearbitch
    7yearbitch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks, folks! I was super excited about my stomach. Heh.

I'm taking an extra day of rest and following RICE for my elbows. Those neutral-grip negatives from Friday? Yeah, they killed me. My husband thinks I've got tendonitis (he's a drummer, so that's something he's always concerned about). My elbows are swollen, they hurt like hell and I can't straighten them unless I forcibly stretch them out. They feel a bit better today, so I'm going to wait and see how I feel tomorrow before I call the doctor. Going to ice every few hours. Bums me out, because it's deadlift day today and I LOVE deadlift day. I look forward to it.

Dawn - I don't really know what I'm doing with the rowers either, but I try to listen in whenever I see a trainer coach someone on it and I'm near by (which isn't very often since I'm rarely over in the cardio section. I prefer to get my HR up by doing supersets).

Stephie - Whoo hoo! for shape differences.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Great job 7!! Lines rock!!
    Dawn-empty gym? I'm jealous! If I go in the evening I still see the resolution crowd. Mornings are so much nicer!
    Kim-great job!! WTG!!
    Beeps-you too!! Mediocre is better than not at all!
    Pudding-you're doing great, just keep lifting
    Mme-sorry you weren't feeling well, glad you're on the mend.
    Stephie-lol at the older lifting lady. That's great! I want to lift when I'm old and gray too. Good job lifting!
    7-sorry about the elbows! I think about it during barbell curls and such. Hope they're feeling better and you're able to lift!

I hope I got everyone. Sorry if i missed you! I started this 4 days ago! I'm doing well, lifting a bit more each week, added 15-25 minutes of cardio on lifting days, hitting my deficit, jeans fitting better...all good stuff. I've been really consistent for about 3 solid months. Haven't missed a workout! That's big for me and my sore back. I'm encouraged and feel like I am finally moving forward again, not just spinning my wheels.

• Beeps2011
    Options
    I love reading the lifting logs....keep it up!

I will lift tomorrow. BOOM!
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    It is great reading everyone's posts in the groups. Love it.

Empty gym, yep that's the perk of the small one I switched to as not many go there yet. 24 hour fitness was great but even 10 people at 11 pm, and a couple still at 1 am. No way would I have gone at 6:30 pm there cause machines and weights are all busy with so many people in there. This location lacks a few items, Anytime Fitness, but it also is pretty empty.

And here is the youtube video. Some reason the video from my phone is a little wide screen ish so looks a bit odd. I struggled to combine videos but forgot to show the paper before the lift. It was combine or wait and redo. Next time I'll try and just upload from phone but show the paper at the beginning of both. Not sure if the 125 will count but even 115 isn't too bad. Need more women to post videos on the site for competition.

https://youtu.be/G7KzM2hPVD4
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Lesson learned. From phone to dropbox to imovie to itunes to youtube, not the best video method. Direct from phone is much better. Leaves space on both sides but doesn't stretch it out all weird. I did a test run with a deadlift video. Should do a new bench video in a few weeks and see if make any increases in the lift, or decrease in body weight.
  • nufertiri
    nufertiri Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Amazing job Dawn! There's no other word for it. The performance in the video and on instagram are astonishing

Julie, sticking truely to the plan is even greater taking into account the recent Holiday season :) With many seductions to try and reasons to skip workouts :smiley:

7year, you can be proud of what you've reached so far - and seeing the transformation steps is just sooo good!!

Started with stage 2 yesterday - and man was I done afterwards :( Unfortunately I can only workout in the morning, and then directly head off to work. But it will get better, or at least so I hope
    Also just ordered a reward for myself on the progress reached so far (ie: start working out and still sticking to it): blackroll set. Hope that will help with the soreness after trainings :)

Lessons learned for 2A so far: will revert back to lunges with dumbbells. In stage 1 I did the lunges with a barbell, but that's a bit too challanging with the elevated foot now. Maybe I'll master the form and can increase the weight again somewhen in stage 4, and then go back to barbells... but no need to rush now.
    Also not getting the drill for the FSPP yet... Used the empty barbell on the first set and felt it quite too easy - but the next increase is 2,5kg each side, but that seems to be too heavy :( Could keep the back flat on the push, and also the wrists hurt... Maybe also go with dumbbells next time
    Also totally forgot to go up to the toes on the push - again: next time... ;)

Now I'm equally afraid and curious on workout B, due tomorrow morning :)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Nice, Dawn!!

nuferti - I am starting a new "phase" (of "strong") tomorrow....means I should sit down and make sure I know what the heck I am doing first!

I did lift, today. Will lift tomorrow. My glutes are sore from today....good, I guess.

BOOM!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Nice Dawn.
    You all have been very busy. I've been busy clearing snow, snow and more snow. We had over two feet on Saturday. We did make it to my aunt's wake Friday night though, so that was good. Saturday I literally sat on my *kitten* ALL DAY. It was awesome. Sunday I shoveled for three hours. Sunday I shoveled another two hours and today I only had to do a half hour. I'm counting that as my exercise. Today I"m being lazy though. I could have gone to the gym. I should have gone to the gym. But I didn't. I'm not tracking my food this week either. We are unbelievably cash poor this week and I'm just eating whatever we have. Mmmm, frozen waffles, lots of frozen waffles.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Strong 1B today - think I have one more week beeps and then I'm onto stage 2 too :)

Things went pretty well today, the gym was mega busy though which was a bit frustrating.

I also finished off with some regular deadlifts becuase the bar was right next to me, already loaded at 55kg, and I thought "WHY NOT?". Plus some annoying guys had been using it with poor form and I sort of wanted to show off a little after sweating my *** off through the Strong workout!

Hope you all have good days
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Beeps - pfft, know what you're doing. Pick stuff up then put it down. lol Kidding. Nice work as usual.

samntha - Definitely a workout that snow shoveling and mmm waffles.

Stephie - bar was ready with weight so yeah, why not deadlift. :wink:

Last night was a very long workout session and busy. Went to bigger gym at 10 pm and there were over 20 people there. Thinned out by the end but still. Did lifting then around 70 minutes of cardio which I followed up with 15 minutes in the sauna. Quite tired by the time I got back home after 1 am.

64 - Upper Hypertrophy

incline bench 4x8 @ 80 - felt easier at bigger gym not in rack
    db fly 4x8 @ 25
    one db row 4x10 @ 35
    seated row 4x10 @ 80 - 90 was too heavy, different handle attachment too
    lat raise 4x8 @ 15 - challenging but a tad better
    cable bicep curl 4x9 @ 60
    face pull 4x10 @ 60
    tricep ext 3x8 @ 90, 1x10 @ 80 - increase was a little too much so did a set at previous weight

Then warm up and cool down walks with 60 minutes of running in between. I like going in the sauna except the whole swimming suit part. Two guys were in the pool goofing off around that time too, splashing each other and doing who knows what out there, just being noisy. Still, might try sauna tonight after work. Doing lifting very soon but might go use the rower for some late cardio.

• Beeps2011
    Options
    Ha ha, Dawn.

I tailored phase two of stage 1...already, lol. Substituted ordinary planks for the "plank and pulldown". Added in shoulder press. Added in lateral raises, plus bi/tri work. Omitted the warm up and the intervals.

In other words, "whut?"

BOOM!
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Just catching up with the reading. Sounds like everyone has been getting lots of workouts in.
    Dawn thanks for sharing the video, wow, just wow.
    7year injurries suck! Hope the ice works.
    Nufertiri black roll set? Is that for foam rolling?
    Samantha all that shoveling sounds like a great workout.
    Stephie deadlifting causes well it was there, love that!
    Beeps do you do a different warm up or just move right into lifting

Week 3 with the trainer this morning was really good. I new woman joined us this morning so the group is now maxed out at 4. We did different super sets. One of which was squatting to a box, which was a great form check for me. After the hour in the weight room I did 40 minutes in the pool doing intervals.