Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I was supposed to start stage 5 on May 28 but my mother passed away on the 24th. As you can imagine I havent done any exercise since actually May 18 when I finished stage 4. I havent even taught any Zumba classes. I am planning on starting my classes this Monday. I am wondering if I should start this program all over again or just start stage 5. I really want to workout but I am not eagerly motivated enough just yet. Has anyone had a 3 wk "break" like this while doing this program? I feel as if I've lost some muscle tone and strength already. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I was supposed to start stage 5 on May 28 but my mother passed away on the 24th. As you can imagine I havent done any exercise since actually May 18 when I finished stage 4. I havent even taught any Zumba classes. I am planning on starting my classes this Monday. I am wondering if I should start this program all over again or just start stage 5. I really want to workout but I am not eagerly motivated enough just yet. Has anyone had a 3 wk "break" like this while doing this program? I feel as if I've lost some muscle tone and strength already. :flowerforyou:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    alf, so sorry about your mom :(
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Alf, I am sorry about your mom.

I really have zero definite answers for you but I would try to begin at Stage 5 with smaller weight until you feel confident enough to increase. I don't particularly love the program enough to start over so that's my 2 cents worth. And I think you just have to jump in. If I waited until I was "excited" about the program, I would have never started.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    This day is off to a great start. Back in the gym last night after a rest week. I also got on the scale this week. I find that weighing myself after a rest week gives me my absolute lowest weight. All the extra water just drains out. Down .8. Also Took measurements finally. Here are the differences from the beginning of the program. (5 months)
    Bust 30-30 (nothing to lose there LOL But why is my 36 bra tight?)
    Natural waist 33-28.5
    Belly 35-29
    hips 42-38
    Butt 45-39
    Upper thigh 24-23.5
    Lower thigh 22-21.5
    Calf 22-22.5

Ok that math in INSANE! And yes my *kitten* really was that big. It's funny when I look I don't see that big a difference but 6 inches in my BUTT is UNBELIEVABLE! Does explain why my clothes are falling off of me though :tongue:

Haven't measured body fat but REALLY want to.

I also tried on the dress I am wearing to a wedding tonight, very formal black tie affair, and it fit even better than the last time I wore it 3 yeas ago. Back then I made a janitor drop his broom when I walked by. Little loose up top, story of my life. The dress says 5-6 but I wore last when I was 8-9, stretchy fabric. I haven't worn it in three years because I just couldn't pull it off. The stretchy fabric shows off every imperfection. Now it's going to show off all my hard work :wink: TRust and believe there will be pictures on my profile Sunday.

KEEP LIFTING!!

I have a hard time filling out certain dresses too so I invested in those chicken cutlet things from Wal-Mart (I think they were $12) and just put them in my bra to build up the girls. :) I'm sure you'll look amazing!
  • mstawnya
    Options
    Alf-I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I think you should just ease back in wherever you feel comfortable. 3 weeks isn't that long, but you might want to start with some lower weights when you jump back into it. Just take the time you need.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, Alf. I agree with the other ladies about taking it slow and not starting over- I think at worst it will be 2 weeks to get back to where you were.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    This day is off to a great start. Back in the gym last night after a rest week. I also got on the scale this week. I find that weighing myself after a rest week gives me my absolute lowest weight. All the extra water just drains out. Down .8. Also Took measurements finally. Here are the differences from the beginning of the program. (5 months)
    Bust 30-30 (nothing to lose there LOL But why is my 36 bra tight?)
    Natural waist 33-28.5
    Belly 35-29
    hips 42-38
    Butt 45-39
    Upper thigh 24-23.5
    Lower thigh 22-21.5
    Calf 22-22.5

Ok that math in INSANE! And yes my *kitten* really was that big. It's funny when I look I don't see that big a difference but 6 inches in my BUTT is UNBELIEVABLE! Does explain why my clothes are falling off of me though :tongue:

Haven't measured body fat but REALLY want to.

I also tried on the dress I am wearing to a wedding tonight, very formal black tie affair, and it fit even better than the last time I wore it 3 yeas ago. Back then I made a janitor drop his broom when I walked by. Little loose up top, story of my life. The dress says 5-6 but I wore last when I was 8-9, stretchy fabric. I haven't worn it in three years because I just couldn't pull it off. The stretchy fabric shows off every imperfection. Now it's going to show off all my hard work :wink: TRust and believe there will be pictures on my profile Sunday.

KEEP LIFTING!!

Holy MOLY. Those inches are totally moving. That is .. amazing. Can't wait to see the photos!
  • mstawnya
    Options
    How many of you take the rest week between stages? I just jumped into Stage 2 and my energy level has been so low all week. If you took the rest week, did you do any sort of exercise during the rest? Did you feel like your body composition changed at all?
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    How many of you take the rest week between stages? I just jumped into Stage 2 and my energy level has been so low all week. If you took the rest week, did you do any sort of exercise during the rest? Did you feel like your body composition changed at all?

YES, I took a rest between stage 1 and 2. I did a few cardio but nothing special during that rest week because I needed the rest. As for my body comp, I don't think so. My before and after pics look the same to me.

I would advise you to rest this week if you are feeling sluggish. I do believe your smokin' sexy bikini body is needing a break :bigsmile:
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've been doing the happy dance for the last day, and wanted to share my lifting victory. I'm in stage 1, and completed 7B yesterday. After weeks of visualizing successful completion of a set of shoulder presses with 30lb weights, I finally did it!!! So glad...particularly since I only have one more B workout in this stage!
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Awesome victory! Was that 30lbs total, or 30lbs in each hand? (I'm guessing the first, the second is too heavy for me to fathom!)
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Alf - I'm so sorry.

Joanne - nice lifting! I can only get 25lb dumbells up there right now!

Finished Stage 1 today. What an awesome feeling. I'm not taking a week off before Stage 2 because I've got a week long vacation coming up. I'll post all my stats tomorrow.

Keep it up ladies!
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Awesome victory! Was that 30lbs total, or 30lbs in each hand? (I'm guessing the first, the second is too heavy for me to fathom!)

Actually 60 pounds total. I've been working on my shoulders for years. Prior to NROL, I was stuck at 17.5. I can't tell you how exciting this is for me!

The most difficult thing I find is lifting them into starting position. I'm hoping the snatch in stage 2 helps with that motion. Because, without a spotter, I think I might have to move to the olympic bar on the squat rack. Unfortunately, I work out in an all-women's gym where most are using 2.5lb for shoulder presses (unfortunately because it's hard to find a spotter; fortunately because nobody ever uses free weights).

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
  • mstawnya
    Options

Actually 60 pounds total. I've been working on my shoulders for years. Prior to NROL, I was stuck at 17.5. I can't tell you how exciting this is for me!

The most difficult thing I find is lifting them into starting position. I'm hoping the snatch in stage 2 helps with that motion. Because, without a spotter, I think I might have to move to the olympic bar on the squat rack. Unfortunately, I work out in an all-women's gym where most are using 2.5lb for shoulder presses (unfortunately because it's hard to find a spotter; fortunately because nobody ever uses free weights).

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

You are my hero! I could only get those suckers up for 1 set and then had to drop back down to 50 lbs. Why don't they make 27.5 pounders anyways? :) Congrats!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Great lifting!! Shoulder presses and by extension the front squat push press are weaknesses of mine. I never could completely get past 50 lbs (the 25lb dbs) or the bar for the fspp. I know I can lift heavier if I sit on the bench or use the press machine, but it feels like cheating :blushing: not sure what I would recommend.

MsTawnya I have often said that myself. and Barbie weights in 1lb increments through 10 for the Cuban snatch and YTWL would be awesome. LOL I want 12.5's and 27.5 and plates between 25 and 45. I need heavier for back extensions. WHat's a girl to do?
  • samntha14
    Options

Holy MOLY. Those inches are totally moving. That is .. amazing. Can't wait to see the photos!

Wish they were moving from my thighs a little more. We are just never happy are we. LOL
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    samntha - your measurements are AWESOME....and, I'm SURE it shows in photos....like you say, 6" lost is a TON. You are very inspiring!

Alf - I am so sorry to read about your Mom. I would jump right into Stage 5 - it's mostly a repeat of Stage 3 and you'll progress quite quickly into getting your strength back, I'd bet. You are in VERY good shape, already!

samntha, when I couldn't up the weights, anymore, on my back extensions (because I can't carry the load in my arms), the suggestion was made for me to start doing one leg at a time. Drop the weight back and, oh MY, does this WORK! So, instead of trying to get a heavier plate, I would reduce your plate and try doing one leg at a time. BUTT WORKS HARD.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    OMG you each are my heros!!! I want to be strong like you. I'm starting today, though I have been doing a little lifting, nothing near the intensity of NROL4W, nor with the same consistency, but I want a back like Beeps and , I too carry every bit of my weight from the waist down.

I'm 60 and I am tired of wishing the jelly thighs to go away. I am starting at home, we have everything I need there, and honestly, I'm a mouse at the gym, I am not yet comfortable going into the big boys area. Maybe after I finish Stage 1.

Anyway, I know I've said I was starting before, but I also joined a 2 week challenge to motivate myself! Why is it that I avoid doing what I really do enjoy once I get started? LOL I swear I'm my own worst enemy!!

Is there anyone else in my age bracket just starting out again?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    Starting is all you need to do, suelegal....don't worry about your "age bracket" - I am participating in a challenge on JP Fitness Forums and there's a lady in there, who is 57, and she is KICKING EVERYONE'S *kitten* (mine included) - she is *so* strong and *so* motivating, it isn't even funny. (And, yes, she started with wanting to hike higher - and she NOW has rippled muscles EVERYWHERE on her leaned out body. It is AWESOME!)