Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Im new to NROLFW. My weights arrived today...I am going to be doing this at home...my weights are awesome -cast iron serious guy weights. I am a little freaked out ... but also excited. Will post on here when I can. Would love to be friends with anyone starting out too.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to stage 2.

Only have AMRAPS left on Wednesday and Friday.

got to 110 on my dead lift today so im pretty psyched about that!! :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 6, today. I had to start with the "B" workout, because I cannot do the negative chin-ups, today, due to shoulder/neck/back injury.

In any event, I *really* liked what I did, today. TONS. Can't wait for Wednesday when I'll give the "A" workout a go....negative chin-ups and all!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Stage 4: 2 to 3 sets of 8 correct?
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, you guys, I got put in my place today! I am taking a break between stage 2 and stage 3. I was jonesing for a workout today so I went to Body Pump at my gym. I was kind of thinking, "this is going to be a joke" when I picked up the super-light bar and plates. It kicked my tail...not so much the squats and lunges but the shoulders and triceps were no joke. My arms turned to jelly. The weights are light but when you do 5 minutes worth of reps it is tiring!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    OMG you each are my heros!!! I want to be strong like you. I'm starting today, though I have been doing a little lifting, nothing near the intensity of NROL4W, nor with the same consistency, but I want a back like Beeps and , I too carry every bit of my weight from the waist down.

I'm 60 and I am tired of wishing the jelly thighs to go away. I am starting at home, we have everything I need there, and honestly, I'm a mouse at the gym, I am not yet comfortable going into the big boys area. Maybe after I finish Stage 1.

Anyway, I know I've said I was starting before, but I also joined a 2 week challenge to motivate myself! Why is it that I avoid doing what I really do enjoy once I get started? LOL I swear I'm my own worst enemy!!

Is there anyone else in my age bracket just starting out again?

Sue-I have a pal at the Y who started lifting weights when she turned 60. She is my hero! She deadlifts the big bars, bench presses, and is entering a weight lifting competition later this month. She said she never exercised until she turned 60. Amazing. Good luck to you!
  • mstawnya
    Options
    Great lifting!! Shoulder presses and by extension the front squat push press are weaknesses of mine. I never could completely get past 50 lbs (the 25lb dbs) or the bar for the fspp. I know I can lift heavier if I sit on the bench or use the press machine, but it feels like cheating :blushing: not sure what I would recommend.

MsTawnya I have often said that myself. and Barbie weights in 1lb increments through 10 for the Cuban snatch and YTWL would be awesome. LOL I want 12.5's and 27.5 and plates between 25 and 45. I need heavier for back extensions. WHat's a girl to do?

Someone suggested wearing those little 1 lb gloves that people wear in turbokick/kickboxing classes. I haven't checked the palms of the gloves, but they may be a way to increase by just a lb.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I got home from Chicago tonight. I am exhausted! I think I could sleep for a week.

Tomorrow is back to normal around here. The party's over. Lol! I will start stage 3 this week. I guess I need to look at the book to see what that entails.
  • samntha14
    Options
    I rest between stages because I HAVE to. Stupid sleep disorder takes a lot out of me. I may not rest between the stages exactly, but I have short breaks throughout the month. When I'm having an extra tired day, I skip the gym and just keep it moving.

MsTawnya, your friend sounds AWESOME! and thanks for the heads up about those glove.

Austelle, I know what you're talking about with the low weights/high rep stuff. I just got back form the gym and did static lunges with 40lbs of dbs but When my Zumba instructor does BW lunges in class I want to cry.

Finally did my first WO of stage 4. Those 2 min planks are KILLER, but I ROCKED everything else. I powered through the Front Squat Push Press...until the third set. Bad grip meant putting it down on 6 :(
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Samntha- I make use of wrist weights- like on the YTWL when i was trying to go from 3kg to 4kg DBs I struggles, so I did 3kg with half kg wrist weights on each side too! Did you manage the 2 min planks? I had to build up to it from 90secs, finally nailed it at the end of stage 4. But then it continues in stage 5!!!!! :noway:

Sue, go to the BBC news website and read about Ernestine Shepherd, the bodybuilding grandma, she's about 75! Started at 50 i think.
    One of our friends here (MissMaggie) probably won't me me telling you she's 54 and kicks our *kitten*, she's at the same stage as me (5) 15 years older and lifts about twice as much. Age is just a number..!

I'm enjoying 5, but suffering from my usual hamstrings-from-hell DOMS. It's great doing sets of 4 reps tho, you can really get the weight up.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, Im new to NROLFW. My weights arrived today...I am going to be doing this at home...my weights are awesome -cast iron serious guy weights. I am a little freaked out ... but also excited. Will post on here when I can. Would love to be friends with anyone starting out too.

Welcome! I just started last week.....so if you have any questions about what to expect, feel free to ask!
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    since I've never lifted weights before, I decided to try Jamie Eason's Livefit 12 week program. I found her online at bodybuidling.com. This program is for women over 40 :flowerforyou: and the diet suggestions, food list, exercises with video to show you exactly how to do the exercises are all free. I was off yesterday and slept in, so I didn't have enough time in the day to eat all the calories I was supposed to eat. I did great prepping food for the week and I ate my breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks, but after all the water I drank I had no room for dinner. It should be better today as I'm up at 4am for work. I went to the gym with my list of exercises and looked at all the men that take over the weight section of the gym. I headed over to the treadmil to warm up, all the while trying to figure out where I was going to start. I don't know why I'm so intimidated, but I guess it's because I don't know what I'm doing. I just sucked it up and found my dumbells and a bench and did my thing! It felt good to get day one under my belt and I'm sure it will get better as the days pass. After reading all of these posts and seeing the amazing transformation pictures, I'm more motivated than ever:bigsmile:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    My energy hit the SKIDS today. Full stop. I managed a walk at lunch (maybe 30 minutes, tops - not even a "brisk" walk, either). That's all.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    my buns and thighs are very uncomfortable after 8B..

ugh.. cant get comfy in my seat no matter what i do.. haha..
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    decided to do interval today because I had pizza for lunch and I thought it would be a good idea since next week I will start stage 2. Tomorrow I do Stage 1 B8 hopefully I am not sore from interval tomorrow.
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share some visual evidence of the amazing things that NRL4W can do for the glutes...If you are a "flatty patty" like me, it is very encouraging to know that squats, lunges, and deadlifts can have a profound impact upon the derriere.

The photo in the mirror was taken last fall. I did cardio only, no lifting. The photo in the white and green bathing suit was taken after finishing stage 2 last week.

See a difference in the glutes?
    stage2back.jpg
    stage2jpeg.jpg
  • samntha14
    Options
    Thanks for all your input. Beeps: one legged back extensions sound tough. how would I pull that off. Having trouble visualizing.
    Wrist weights sound like a great idea to get that pound or 2 extra between weights :)

i did the first WO of Stage 4 last night and I am sore in some very strange places :blushing:
  • samntha14
    Options
    nice progress pic Austelle! (I really have to learn how to post pics.)
  • samntha14
    Options
    Help!!! I'm HUNGRY!! I'm already at maintenance and eating back exercise cals.
  • mstawnya
    Options
    I want your butt, Austelle! I am so sick of a pancake following me around. :) It's getting better, but like Veruca Salt, I want it now!

Beeps-I'm with you on the energy skids. No workout for me today. I took my girls to a deer sanctuary and to a sculpture park so I guess we did a little walking but that's it. And I guess I lifted my 2 year old quite a bit. She's a 27 lb. squirmy weight. :)