• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,004 Member
    Options
    4, 3, 2, 1

FRESH START....NOW.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Okay, on the theory that you attract what you think about, I am thinking about Robert Kennedy, who was the founder of "Oxygen" magazine. When my magazine made it to my door, yesterday, I noticed that the issue was dedicated to "Tough Love, Rob" because he has DIED.

He is Tosca Reno's husband (Tosca is the "clean eating" author/guru).

So, he blessed himself with leading a REALLY healthy lifestyle, and surrounding himself with other people dedicated to the same pursuit of health and fitness.

I am grateful for his contribution(s) to this world. And, I am grateful that I have been introduced to heavy-lifting and still have PLENTY OF TIME to get the hang of it!

I SHALL SUCCEED! I plan on it every single day!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Theres the spirit!!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Beeps - you totally ROCK!! and you will succeed!!! We all need a pity party once in a while though, at least it makes me feel better afterward. :smile:
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    beeps, you are amazing . hang in there. Just be here to lift me up next week :laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I just went to bodybuilding.com and read a TON of their "over 40" success transformation stories.

What I am taking away from these (INCREDIBLE!) stories is:

1. My life isn't over....I have the necessary time and inclination to REALLY focus on reducing my body fat %;
    2. My brain will try and RUIN it for me. My brain doesn't WANT me to really CHANGE THINGS UP....it kind of likes me the way I am; and
    3. I can DO THIS!

Eating "clean" has to be part of the progression, though. When I look at the "food intake" of these incredibly (over age 40) women, NONE of them are eating 2,000+ calories a day. None of them. I found women who are my height (5'8"-5'9") and their meals ARE smaller than what I've been eating. I think I actually need to incorporate a few more carbs than I do, into my diet.

And, I really have to lift HEAVIER. Lifting heavy is fine. But, I need to keep lifting HEAVIER AND HEAVIER if I want to see my inches shrink and shrink.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Oh, and here's another thing:

- they take pictures ONCE A WEEK.

That's right. For any of them that aimed for a figure competition/fitness competition, they had to send in weekly photos and measurements to their personal trainers. I tell ya, that's pretty good motivation for keeping it HONEST.

Most of them didn't do extreme amounts of cardio (but they did do some!). One lady DID do a TON of cardio - and a TON of weights - I don't have time for this routine. But, most of them simply had their weight routines, their clean diets, and NO EXCUSES.

The end.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just went to bodybuilding.com and read a TON of their "over 40" success transformation stories.

1. My life isn't over....I have the necessary time and inclination to REALLY focus on reducing my body fat %;
    2. My brain will try and RUIN it for me. My brain doesn't WANT me to really CHANGE THINGS UP....it kind of likes me the way I am; and
    3. I can DO THIS!

Eating "clean" has to be part of the progression, though. When I look at the "food intake" of these incredibly (over age 40) women, NONE of them are eating 2,000+ calories a day. None of them. I found women who are my height (5'8"-5'9") and their meals ARE smaller than what I've been eating. I think I actually need to incorporate a few more carbs than I do, into my diet.

And, I really have to lift HEAVIER. Lifting heavy is fine. But, I need to keep lifting HEAVIER AND HEAVIER if I want to see my inches shrink and shrink.

This is really interesting. I have really been struggling with the "how much should I really be eating" issue. I recently bought Tosca's book. I really want to make clean eating more of a focus than calories. I'm so exhausted with the logging/calorie counting. I don't want to have to do this that for the rest of my life. I'd rather eat clean, with an occasional treat. I just find myself befuddled with it all.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

3. I can DO THIS!

Yes, I came to the same revelation yesterday. I have to lift heavier. I was not pushing myself. Stage 3 workout B I thought was so lame and easy. But I made it work for me. I kept adding plates/increasing. My bootie and thighs are slightly sore today and my arms are definitely sore.

It makes me think I should start all over again or at least at stage 2.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Good thread rolling skills!
    Did they see changes taking photos each week?? I guess if you really work hard you could see changes that quick.... though my mind struggles to process that. I eat a lot of carbs, hard being pescatarian/vegetarian to avoid them (plus they are yummy and low carb makes me a little crazy) but I am eating better now I am more focused on my macros - even if I don't hit them!
    I have an achy *kitten* and thighs today... Wooooo! Stage 1 3A tomorrow :smile:
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Beeps, the previous thread was awesome! You expressed what so many of us feel...certainly me. This week, I was finally down 1.4 pounds. But that was after all of Stage 1 sitting at the same (or slightly heavier) weight. I made two changes last week - 1. I lowered my calories a bit. I took the difference between MFP and NROLFW and made that my goal. (I also eat back the 267 NROLFW cals and about half my cardio calories). and 2. I aimed to eat 1g protein per pound of body weight. So far, that seems to be working. The base calories weren't so low that I was angry. But I also wasn't eating more food on workout days than I felt I should have been. And when I was on the NROLFW calorie goal, I always felt like I was overeating.

This week isn't a good example, as I've been away for work, so my food and exercise is pretty all-over-the-place. But have a look at my food diary for last week if you want some ideas. Above all, hang in there. I saw one of those cheesy motivational posters yesterday, but it stuck.

"That voice in your head that says you can't do it...She's a Liar!"
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    bodybuilding.com was what motivated me to try lifting in the first place. I actually started with a program on there, but ended up deciding to try this instead. Their calorie need calculator for that particular program put me at 1800 a day, here I'm eating 2000 so not a huge difference. I'll tell you, though, I dropped 4 pounds in the two weeks I did their program. I'm sure some of that was due to changing my macros to a higher protein diet, but still!

My two cents on their diets. When I was reading through most of the ones on there they were on serious cuts and the diets were not something that was sustainable long-term. And I personally did not see one person's diet that I would even consider eating, all those egg whites and chicken, boring! I remember seeing one lady's story and she had her on and off season photos and weights and her off season was a weight of around 160 and on season was around 130-135. It makes me wonder (being at a weight of around 160 and trying to lose my last 10-20) if I should be trying a cut to get rid of this weight. But then what happens after that? If you don't keep up the cut I guess you put the weight back on. So then I'm right back where I started eating more to lose slowly. I don't know. I may go back and try one of their programs when I finish this one up. I've been feeling very confused about my calorie intake lately.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    All of you make some very good points. I *do* think the nutrition-diaries that were presented on the "over age 40" bodybuilding.com transformation section were, in fact, when they were in the 'cut' portion of their cycle - getting ready for competition.

I am not going into any competition, but I *am* supposed to be 'cutting', lol.

I have been really focused on getting all my protein in, and that meant re-introducing protein shakes back into my diet. Protein shakes usually make me feel "fluffy", in any event. Something about the whey that isn't really my body's best friend. Anyhow, it is what it is.

It is a new day. I feel REALLY sore from yesterday's work-out....ALL upper-body soreness, so that's a little unusualy, but it also means that I'm working muscles that must have been dormant the last little while, so it is ALL GOOD.

I'm heading outdoors into the sunshine, today....nothing special, just a walk among the roses!!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I ate clean for a year- Tosca Reno style and it felt spectacular. I will say I noticed my stomach slimmed down a lot, even though as usual my weight seemed to stay the same. What is best is noticing how SWEET everything else is. I would be like, "Nah, can't have that mango, way too sweet." "Bleuqh, who made this marinara with ALL THAT SUGAR".

That was also before I lost my awesome coconut carob protein bar recipe. I have yet to recreate it. :(
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 5 today....ahhhh, the body weight matrix. I'm pretty sure I almost fell down the stairs when leaving the gym floor today. Who thought it was a good idea to make the gym 2 levels?!

It felt gooood to be that muscle tired!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options

3. I can DO THIS!

I have been thinking a lot about the amount I eat and I have to say - I think I'm at peace with my calorie intake. I have gotten more complements on my arms (my arms! I always thought my legs would get ripped first!) in the past week than I ever have and I feel damn good.

So, here I am approaching 40 quicker than I want to admit and I am a. WAY stronger than when I was an athlete in high school, b. smaller than I was since like my first year of college and c. I have more endurance than I ever had.

And as for cutting, can't it be done with either less cals or similar cals and increased (or added) cardio?

All I know is that I could have written your rant word for word. Today I just decided that the scale doesn't control me and that I deserve to feel good about myself because I'm doing **** that most people can't. YOU SHOULD TOO! :)
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Today I just decided that the scale doesn't control me and that I deserve to feel good about myself because I'm doing **** that most people can't. YOU SHOULD TOO! :)

Yes! Yes! Yes!
    I am so sick of trying to figure out my calories, freaking out if I don't burn enough, and stressing over my food intake. I am in the best shape I have ever been in and I work my *kitten* off almost every day. Why does it have to be a struggle? I for one, felt like I was starving on the NROLFW calorie counts. I hated switching them back & forth each day, felt like I was doing cardio on the off days just so I could eat more and the whole thing just made me mad. Starting Monday, I just pushed my cals up to 2000, stopped wearing my heart rate monitor and have been doing my thing like normal (even skipped a day this week). I haven't stressed over the cals yet-if I'm still hungry and go over, I know it's fine since I worked out that day. I don't know a thing about cutting cycles. The idea of trying one intrigues me, but I think it would stress me out at this point.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I agree, sparky and tawnya - 100%.

Someone, on another thread said to me - "My dr has weighed me twice in the last 8 months....otherwise I wouldn't know my weight!" She calculates how well she is doing STRICTLY by the fit of her clothes.

Enough said. Me, too.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I went to the pool today. I wore a two-piece for the first time in God knows when. I decided that if the 18yo lifeguard could walk around with her junk hanging out, so could I. :P

I am looking at changing programs. Only because I am continuing to have to modify and skip so much. I am considering just switching to the original NROL. I don't know yet, I'm still researching. I love this group though. I don't want to leave.

I am really having to stop and think about what my goals are. I'm really not sure what my goals are. I know I want to eat clean. And I want to lift heavy. And I want to cut body fat. I want to be fit and strong,but I want to LOOK fit and strong, too.

Sigh.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I'm cool if you want to post here....even if you aren't doing NROL4W, Jessica.

Having said that, I really think NROL4W is going to get you EXACTLY what you want. Go read denine's posts in Stage 5, 6 and 7. (and, go look at her pics!)