Things Not to Say When You're on a Dating Site

Options

Replies

• La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Lol I read on someone's profile that he sells purses out of his trunk. His idea of a first date is watching bootleg movies at his momma's house. WTF?

See I would have written this guy... he sounds funny!!

He clearly has an entrepreneurial spirit.

Exactly.

I just adore sarcasm. I mean, hopefully this guy isn't really selling purses out of his trunk and is just being goofy.

That will catch my attention.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Lol I read on someone's profile that he sells purses out of his trunk. His idea of a first date is watching bootleg movies at his momma's house. WTF?

See I would have written this guy... he sounds funny!!

He clearly has an entrepreneurial spirit.

Exactly.

I just adore sarcasm. I mean, hopefully this guy isn't really selling purses out of his trunk and is just being goofy.

That will catch my attention.

Look at all the play he's getting out here. . On a completely different website he's not even a member of!. .

Ok. .I"m going back to match. . I'm going to post some pics of me wearing a wife-beater and sticking my gut out holding a long-neck bud and a fishing pole. .. Then I'm going to post the most ridiculous profile you've ever heard. .

Maybe I'll start a post on here one day: "Write my Match.com profile". .
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Match . .dot. . com. . . VERY interesting 6 months! (got the guarantee btw. .but shut down my profile . . at least for now. )

Girls. . if you can help it, resist the Pavlovian need to put the words: "Live life to the fullest" anywhere in your profile. .. . *puke*..

Easily 50% of girls have "Quiet night on the couch with a glass of wine and a movie". . so, yeah, the guys are probably saying this because they think that's what you want to hear!

HUMOR! I always sent a note to girls that were funny and/or goofy in their profiles. . .It's incredibly rare.. . I'd say one in twenty have any humor. If you make me laugh, then I know you like to laugh. . so I'm going to try to make you laugh.

Body shots. . You have to have at least one honest body shot on your profile. . If you get a date and you show up and you weren't honest about your body. . . well. .it's just awkward and frustrating for everybody. . . I stopped contacting girls who didn't have a body shot. . I know a lot of you are going to attack me for being shallow etc. . but I like what I like. It's not my fault! :)

I don't know if my experience is average or what.. but keep in mind that you girls get orders of magnitude more messages than we do. . The entire time I was on I probably got 20 unsolicited emails. . I went on a date with one girl who got 100+ every DAY! I'm pretty sure there are more guys than girls on match. .

Finally. . If you aren't interested. . don't reply at all. . For me, a reply indicated interest, unless it was brutally honest (which is good). . If you appreciated my note and feel compelled to reply, say something like: "You are the funniest and hottest guy on match. . but I'm looking for someone ugly and stupid". . .See. . that would work for me. . .

Yea, all of this, too! LOL
    And yes, Match is an...interesting...ride.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

You could do it round robin style. Everyone posts one sentence until it is done.
  • Cameron_1969
    Options

You could do it round robin style. Everyone posts one sentence until it is done.

I'm seriously thinking about this. . .
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    My biggest peeves come from peoples profile pictures.

1) Try to pick a good one,why in Gods name does anyone think a grainy,dark picture is going to attract positive attention.
    Also try to at least look pleasant,I swear at least half try to find a picture where they look miserable.

2) Be honest about having children and maybe one in a profile pic but several is just weird to me.
    I assume you like them but I don`t want to date them so don`t need to see 4 or 5 pictures of them instead of you.

3) I am happy you like animals and in your profile it can say that,I really don`t care at all to see Fido in your pictures.

4) The same can be said about your car,the view from a hill,a sunrise or sunset,a goofy non you one etc.

5) If you are an active member of the site have a picture no older then a few months as your main one,a 5-15 year old one is just going to cause distrust.

6) I get signing up to look around but if you are going to wink,flirt,email then have a freaking picture of yourself as you are.
    Nothing is more frustrating then someone saying they want to get to know me better from behind a curtain.

7) Please don`t have a picture of you with another lady or several,I really am not looking to guess which is you.

8) I don`t want a picture of Peyton Manning in your profile to know you are a fan,he isn`t my type and I doubt he wants to be my sugar daddy.

9) He may be your best friend,big brother,uncle,father,whoever but it is just stupid to have a picture of you and another guy on there...think about it.

10) No one does a duck face in real life for any reason,it needs to be more shameful then a mullet.
  • Nerple
    Options
    10) No one does a duck face in real life for any reason,it needs to be more shameful then a mullet.

Not true sir! It is part of my physical therapy. (And in a rare occurrence for me on this site, I am not even joking about this.)
  • Cameron_1969
    Options

Not true sir! It is part of my physical therapy. (And in a rare occurrence for me on this site, I am not even joking about this.)

WHOA! what kind of injury did you get?!!!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    the wife beater and gut sticking out isn't sarcastic lol...

i just like funny men. if you can make me laugh (and i'm attracted to ya :wink:) then we're good.. but i'm a tough "crowd".
  • Nerple
    Options

No injury, genetics! Third debulking surgery.
  • tangie82
    tangie82 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Nah. It wasn't sarcasm! I wish, but sadly not the case.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I was on eHarmony. And one of the 'generic' questions I sent to this guy was 'How do you describe your parents relationship, are they still married'. I always think its sweet.
    His reply 'My parents are dead but what difference does it make if they were still married'.
    Uh..thanks for the hostility. Bye now.
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of profiles that basically say:

"This isn't my first time here on this site and I don't plan to be here long..... So you better jump at the chance to have me while I'm here. "

Really? Hmmm, hold me back.
  • Cameron_1969
    Options

Sorry man. . not so funny. .
  • BondBomb
    Options
    oh you know what I really hate. Music snobs.
    Everyone has their own taste. Mine is all over the place. But I saw a guy who I thought was really interesting but he added 'don't bother contacting me if you like Kesha'. Like he has personal beef with Kesha.

I actually did write to him but all I said was..'This place about to blow..oh oh oh oh oh oh oh'
  • Nerple
    Options

Sorry man. . not so funny. .

Ehh, it's all good. Isn't a big deal, just a little more scar tissue than anticipated.
  • BondBomb
    Options
    Ok one more lol!
    I am always amazed on match.com by the guys that email me. Then I look at who they are willing to date and they have everything checked except for 'black/african-american'. Even 'other'. Totally offensive.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    oh you know what I really hate. Music snobs.
    Everyone has their own taste. Mine is all over the place. But I saw a guy who I thought was really interesting but he added 'don't bother contacting me if you like Kesha'. Like he has personal beef with Kesha.

I actually did write to him but all I said was..'This place about to blow..oh oh oh oh oh oh oh'

This almost had my water coming back out through my nose (how's that for a visual,lol). I like the way you think!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Then I look at who they are willing to date and they have everything checked except for 'black/african-american'. Even 'other'. Totally offensive.

Sad but true!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Don't say "I hate drama." I hate drama too, but when you say that I figure you're got a ton of drama in your life... and I'm NOT trying to bring more drama into my life.