Things Not to Say When You're on a Dating Site

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I've been tempted to do a search for guys in my age group and check out their profiles. . just to see what kind of pics they post and what kind of stuff they say. . You know. . check out the competition. . But f*ing match does that 'who viewed me' thing and I just couldn't do it!

I've done that, I don't care if they see I was checking them out. And man, some of the pics that women post on there...? They post pics of their boobs hanging out and then mention in their profile that they get annoyed when guys comment on her boobs...Come on now, what else do you expect when you put the girls on display? Stupid. I looked at chick's profiles so I can sense a common theme, and avoid that so as to not seem like all the other chicks on there.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Just got an email from a guy...go to his profile...he has 2 photos. One where he is making a goofy smile and cuddling a bunny rabbit, and the other is of 2 rabbits in a cage, with the caption "SugarMuffin & Patches!!"

:sad: :huh:

That's unusual. Maybe he's a sensitive guy. A sensitive guy would name rabbits "SugarMuffin & Patches".

Probably not the strongest approach for attracting the pretty ladies like KrissyPea :wink:

Aww hehe. Do I sense a facetious tone there? :tongue: I am really not trying to sound THAT picky....I do of course want a guy who is capable of sensitivity...but at the same time I want a MAN. He can like rabbits...but this guy likes them enough to showcase them in 1 of his only 2 photos to represent who he is to the world. hehehe. Just silly, that's all! :laugh:

Lol. He's so confident in his masculinity he can advertise his sensitive/silly side. Bet he's more manly than the posers :wink: :happy:
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Just got an email from a guy...go to his profile...he has 2 photos. One where he is making a goofy smile and cuddling a bunny rabbit, and the other is of 2 rabbits in a cage, with the caption "SugarMuffin & Patches!!"

:sad: :huh:

That's unusual. Maybe he's a sensitive guy. A sensitive guy would name rabbits "SugarMuffin & Patches".

Probably not the strongest approach for attracting the pretty ladies like KrissyPea :wink:

Aww hehe. Do I sense a facetious tone there? :tongue: I am really not trying to sound THAT picky....I do of course want a guy who is capable of sensitivity...but at the same time I want a MAN. He can like rabbits...but this guy likes them enough to showcase them in 1 of his only 2 photos to represent who he is to the world. hehehe. Just silly, that's all! :laugh:

Lol. He's so confident in his masculinity he can advertise his sensitive/silly side. Bet he's more manly than the posers :wink: :happy:

OMG! You girls are hilarious. .
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Haha I think I looked at women's profiles in my area once on POF to see the competition and I was really surprised at what I found. I'm just saying..
    Please be more explicit because I'm interested. :smile:
    I find: 60% of the women don't even bother filling their profiles (because they have tits), the other 30% of women have grammar/spelling errors in their profiles to the point that I had to take "****ty English" tuitions to understand them, and the last 10% are "normal"? I have tears of joy when I stumble upon one of these (I should add that I'm not even necessarily physically attracted in the woman often, so yeah, back on to the search then...).
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I've been tempted to do a search for guys in my age group and check out their profiles. . just to see what kind of pics they post and what kind of stuff they say. . You know. . check out the competition. . But f*ing match does that 'who viewed me' thing and I just couldn't do it!

I'm sure you can turn your profile off and lurk undetected :wink: I left there months ago but I recall a little green light at the top that you can slide on and off....... :flowerforyou:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Haha I think I looked at women's profiles in my area once on POF to see the competition and I was really surprised at what I found. I'm just saying..

I did it also before joining POF (you can search before joining) and thought DAMN I am golden if this is my competition.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I find: 60% of the women don't even bother filling their profiles (because they have tits), the other 30% of women have grammar/spelling errors in their profiles to the point that I had to take "****ty English" tuitions to understand them, and the last 10% are "normal"? I have tears of joy when I stumble upon one of these (I should add that I'm not even necessarily physically attracted in the woman often, so yeah, back on to the search then...).

I'm in the 10%! :drinker:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    BTW I put some restrictions on who can message me on POF (age 27-42) height over 5'7 ect. Nothing drastic but that really slowed down the number of messages I got but they are more qualify messages. Now I am getting about 5 a day but when it was open to everyone I was getting around 40.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

I did it also before joining POF (you can search before joining) and thought DAMN I am golden if this is my competition.

Exactly lol. But then wtf??? Why haven't I found my soulmate?? :sad:
  • La_Amazona
    Options

Well Austin is known to have beautiful women. I've heard it several times.. but damn on POF there weren't many hot fishies. I'm not the hottest chick on the block myself but I felt pretty damn good about myself.
    Maybe my idea of hot chicks is different than a guys. Although FL said there weren't many women to choose from (and from what I can tell he's picky) and only reached out to myself and another chick in another nearby city. I assumed he was talking about physical traits. Also, he's like you in which profiles with mistakes and dingy girls piss him off.

I love that you cry with normal profiles!
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I joined POF about a week ago. Met up with the 1st person last night and he was really nice and normal! I have noticed looking in the profiles that a lot of guys like to use 2 phrases which I guess they think will be a big hit with the ladies? "I like the outdoors" and "I also enjoy relaxing on the couch and watching a movie." I guess those are key to reassuring us that you can be the masculine provider AND the sensitive chick flick watching buddy? Also nearly all of them say "I'm laid back" and aren't looking for drama. Duh! Who wants drama? Anyways.... meeting up with another guy tonight! I wish I'd have joined sooner, oh so many fish in the sea!
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    BTW I put some restrictions on who can message me on POF (age 27-42) height over 5'7 ect. Nothing drastic but that really slowed down the number of messages I got but they are more qualify messages. Now I am getting about 5 a day but when it was open to everyone I was getting around 40.

I'd better hurry! I've got four months before my emails will be REJECTED!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I joined POF about a week ago. Met up with the 1st person last night and he was really nice and normal! I have noticed looking in the profiles that a lot of guys like to use 2 phrases which I guess they think will be a big hit with the ladies? "I like the outdoors" and "I also enjoy relaxing on the couch and watching a movie." I guess those are key to reassuring us that you can be the masculine provider AND the sensitive chick flick watching buddy? Also nearly all of them say "I'm laid back" and aren't looking for drama. Duh! Who wants drama? Anyways.... meeting up with another guy tonight! I wish I'd have joined sooner, oh so many fish in the sea!

Wow, that's really fast to meet 2 people IRL already! Glad you seem to be having fun.
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's really fast to meet 2 people IRL already! Glad you seem to be having fun.

Yeah thats what I was worried about. Never dated much and had only attempted online dating (Match.com and of course only 3 matches and all many states away :grumble: ). Talking to the guys it seems like the preference is to have a "quick" meet for drinks to see if you are who you say you are and if there is any potential. And then if so, go on a real date and continue getting to know one another. I have limited free time and I don't want to waste it talking to someone who I know won't work out. Meeting in person and talking face to face tells so much more and much faster than texting. Also alot of the guys seem wary of "serial daters" who are just out for free food/booze so they don't like to waste time either. I don't know. I am probably doing it all wrong. But I do take my taser with me and only meet in public places with a lot of people! :flowerforyou:
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I'm a fast one too.
    When I first started online dating I was sooooo afraid and wanted to wait until I felt comfortable. Well I'd still be waiting because the 1st meet up is nerve wrecking. Now I think after 1-3 days of messaging back and forth, it's time to meet. No need to keep dragging it out. And so far I'm the one that has brought this up with guys instead of the other way around. I just know what it feels like to talk and talk and get that connection over text/ phone/ messages then meet and there's nothing. Poof. Zero.
    So sad.

This way, we'll see early on what's going on.
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    I'm a fast one too.
    When I first started online dating I was sooooo afraid and wanted to wait until I felt comfortable. Well I'd still be waiting because the 1st meet up is nerve wrecking. Now I think after 1-3 days of messaging back and forth, it's time to meet. No need to keep dragging it out. And so far I'm the one that has brought this up with guys instead of the other way around. I just know what it feels like to talk and talk and get that connection over text/ phone/ messages then meet and there's nothing. Poof. Zero.
    So sad.

I don't disagree that the sooner you meet, the sooner you know if there is a connection. I guess I'm still in the zone where there haven't been enough that I've actually wanted to meet in person yet...
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I'm a fast one too.
    So sad.

I don't disagree that the sooner you meet, the sooner you know if there is a connection. I guess I'm still in the zone where there haven't been enough that I've actually wanted to meet in person yet...

So I just unhid my profile and I have a date on Saturday night! Now that was FAST. I broke my own record!

I've seen his profile before but I skipped over it because he has a couple of kiddos. We messaged some before too. Wth... he's hot too. Bald, tall (6ft), 36, :bigsmile:
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    I'm a fast one too.
    So sad.

So I just unhid my profile and I have a date on Saturday night! Now that was FAST. I broke my own record!

I've seen his profile before but I skipped over it because he has a couple of kiddos. We messaged some before too. Wth... he's hot too. Bald, tall (6ft), 36, :bigsmile:

Damn, look at you go!
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    I'm a fast one too.
    So sad.

WTF!!!! Seriously???? LA! You rock my socks!!! lol
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    He's SO hot, looks like a "bad boy" (tattoos mmmm) but his profile is nice and no grammer mistakes. Woot!

He asked me what I want to do..

What do I want to do? I hate that question.... I don't know!