Dinner date- who pays?

Options

Replies

• JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    hair has nothing to do with dates,

oooooo snap! Am I gonna have to cross you off my list again?? After emailing "Mr. Young Bones" I had just put all you young guys back on it. Sigh. Have you SEEN what Louisiana heat does to a woman's hair??? Especially since most of the eligible guys are in Dallas. I think hair has just as much to do with dates as deodorant. You seriously don't want to be around me if I forget about both.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

PS You're right about the excuse to go shopping part though
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

The vast majority of first dates are “one & dones”. If you’re a guy and you go on 7 first dates in a month, and 5 of them are “one & dones”, you’ve wasted money.

Exactly, couple that with the fact that women have the idea that they need to date around to find the "ideal" guy and it's even worse. It would be one thing if there was exclusivity involved but more often than not that isn't the case.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    Btw ladies,if you want a great meal let me be the one to make it...I consider myself an awesome cook. :smokin:

Well, if I drive to New York for that meal, I suppose that would more than equal out the cost of you having to prepare it :laugh:

Carl's the best! :flowerforyou:
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

oooooo snap! Am I gonna have to cross you off my list again?? After emailing "Mr. Young Bones" I had just put all you young guys back on it. Sigh. Have you SEEN what Louisiana heat does to a woman's hair??? Especially since most of the eligible guys are in Dallas. I think hair has just as much to do with dates as deodorant. You seriously don't want to be around me if I forget about both.

Of course you have to do your hair but does it really require a trip to the salon and cost money? Time, sure.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times in college people would say dumbass *kitten* like, "Oh, you're a voice major? How do you expect to live on that? Hmm, well, at least you're a girl, so you can get married". It drove me up the wall.

Oh wow! That's GOTTA be annoying!

My friends are mostly mid-to-high wage earners, so a convo like that would never come up. Guess I’d never seen it from your perspective before.

FWIW… a significant number of the men I work with do NOT want their wives to work. They WANT the Barbie doll wife sitting at home ironing their shorts. SMH.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how many times in college people would say dumbass *kitten* like, "Oh, you're a voice major? How do you expect to live on that? Hmm, well, at least you're a girl, so you can get married". It drove me up the wall.

My friends are mostly mid-to-high wage earners, so a convo like that would never come up. Guess I’d never seen it from your perspective before.

FWIW… a significant number of the men I work with do NOT want their wives to work. They WANT the Barbie doll wife sitting at home ironing their shorts. SMH.

If that's what they want, and find someone who wants to be it, so be it. It's their life.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options

Haha well, don't introduce them to me!!! They probably wouldn't like me very much :wink:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

I have always held the expectation that my future wife would be working.

Although Dallas isn’t that humid, I can see the effects of some amount of humidity on my hair. My hair tends to go a few different directions if I don’t pay attention to it and it is a warm and humid day. I had my hair cut shorter than normal during the hottest parts of last summer. I prefer having a bit longer hair than just a buzzcut.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

@Janie....you work wilth/in military, correct? I think that is common for whatever reason that men in the military do not want their wives to work. I was married to Navy Chief, and he always told me that I did not HAVE to work, but since we did not have children, I chose to work. Most other guys I knew then.........many of the wives stayed home, regardless of whether they had children or not. Not sure why this is more prevalent in military families, but that was my experience
  • JanieJack
    Options
    does it really require a trip to the salon and cost money? Time, sure.

For $55, my stylist can do in an hour what takes me 4. Those three extra hours are sooooo worth it to this single busy mom. Guess you'll have to see my hair in person to understand, lol!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Paying for someone's meal when you ask them out is the courteous thing to do, whether someone is important to you or not, in my opinion. To not pay, when YOU extended the invitation, is rude. I don't invite my SISTER out for lunch without paying for her. I sure as hell would not ask a man to dinner without paying for his meal. It's not about man vs. woman. It's about who initiated it.

Definitely agree. My sister and do things fairly frequently. I might pay for lunch one day and then she will pay for us to get ice cream afterwards or go to the craft store and get some supplies. It's even.

I am actually a nursing student graduating in a month. The majority of the jobs I'm looking at have salaries that start at the high 40,000 and go to 80,000. I will definitely pay for dates when I start making money, but at first, I think the guy should pay. And I do want to work and not be a SAHM.

It's just not romantic to go on a date and try to split the bill! Men, you're not winning any points by making a girl pay on the first couple of dates. Even though it sucks, even though you have to spend money, it is just more romantic for a woman to be paid for.If you don't want to spend money on a woman, there are so many free things you can do - concerts in the park, walks, using a guest pass at your gym to play a sport or take a class together, cook a dinner together at home, etc.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Paying for someone's meal when you ask them out is the courteous thing to do, whether someone is important to you or not, in my opinion. To not pay, when YOU extended the invitation, is rude. I don't invite my SISTER out for lunch without paying for her. I sure as hell would not ask a man to dinner without paying for his meal. It's not about man vs. woman. It's about who initiated it.
    Definitely agree. My sister and do things fairly frequently. I might pay for lunch one day and then she will pay for us to get ice cream afterwards or go to the craft store and get some supplies. It's even.
    Weird. Never heard of that one ("whoever invites needs to pay"). For me it's: whoever invites must have an (awesome) idea of something to do (then people join).
    And my brother can f* off (he's richer than me). Not to mention my sister... :explode: They're good people though, so I'm happy eating out with them (but they're lazy, so I would never see them if I didn't initiate).

I must have been rude to people all my life, but nobody never gave a monkey so I'm not going to change this now.

I invite only when I feel like it, as stated by Nash: "I want to do things for a woman because I want to, not because it is expected."
    Well, if I pay for you, or even better, you get a gift from me, at least you feel special...
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Weird. Never heard of that one ("whoever invites needs to pay"). For me it's: whoever invites must have an awesome idea of thing to do (then people join).

I usually do free things with my friends but if we all together decide to go out to eat, we do pay for ourselves. Sometimes we're generous and will buy each other drinks at a bar, but since we're all in college, we don't have a lot of money to drop on each other. However, if I was older and invited people over to a dinner party at my house, I would provide the drinks and food. Inviting someone out and not paying is like inviting people to a birthday party and making them pay for their own meal.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It totally blows my mind that in other parts of the country men will expect this. I will keep that in mind, though, since I'm moving next summer.

No, I think (most) guys in other parts of the country will be a gentleman and pay. I think it's the women in these areas that have changed their perception and don't want to be 'taken care of".
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Btw ladies,if you want a great meal let me be the one to make it...I consider myself an awesome cook. :smokin:

Well, if I drive to New York for that meal, I suppose that would more than equal out the cost of you having to prepare it :laugh:

Carl's the best! :flowerforyou:

Can we carpool to Carl's house?
  • JanieJack
    Options
    It totally blows my mind that in other parts of the country men will expect this. I will keep that in mind, though, since I'm moving next summer.

No, I think (most) guys in other parts of the country will be a gentleman and pay. I think it's the women in these areas that have changed their perception and don't want to be 'taken care of".

I can see that... the whole "I don't need a man to take care of me" thing, the "I don't want you to think you now have rights to my body" thing, the "I'm not beholden to you" thing.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    If its the first time meeting, go have coffe, go to the park, art show, a meetup event, for a walk/hike, or somewhere where you can talk to see if you both even want a date and have chemistry. Going on a fulll fledge date for the first time meeting adds too much pressure and can ruin it. Girls thing the guys have to pay, guys think if they pay they will get some action. Dont do it, because someone will usually get mad or disappointed. Also some guys may not have the money to spend 100-200 on a date becuase of his job, may have kids to feed, lost his job, giving money to help a family in need, supporting someone who is dieing, or just the economy may have tool a toll on his bank account. It doesnt make him cheap, you just never know what people's situation is and all good people deserve a chance to meet other good people.

Just how some guys will use a girl for sex, ive seen so many girls will go on a date with a guy (who she knows is in the friend zone because she put him there) just for a free meal, trying to get over a jerk, cheating on her boyfriend because he wont take her out, or out of boredom. Ive seen it all. That is not respectable to the guy. In most cases, they are on the phones texting the whole time. Thats a huge reason to meet first before a date, you might end up paying for a meal for a woman who doesnt give you enough respect to put her phone away for an hour.

After you know you wont to see each other again, then take turns paying. Most women work as hard for their money as we do and are independent. There shouldn't be a law that we have to pay for everything. If two people like each other, they should want to take the other out and impress each other, not just the guy trying to impress the woman. In my opinion, thats whats wrong with dating today,so many women think they are the only ones who should be impressed, both should be trying to impress each other.

ANother problem is the men, I have female friends who say this too, too many men dont have a backbone. They wine and dine every woman they see and get used. IM sorry, some women just dont deserve it. these guys create a bad mentality for some women, its the its all about me thing and they take it for granted. Its not, its about both of you. Real life isnt the bachelorette. Just like women, men have to be careful because they dont want to get used too. I think its a great thing to wine and dine and spoil a woman, just make sure its a good one first. Guys, if you want easy tail, go to a bar, a wedding, or bachelorette party because just because you pay for a woman's dinner doesnt mean she is going to touch your penis.

Last thing, guys, quit sending pics of your penis to women on dating sites fro the first message, they dont like it and dont want to see it, if they wanted to see one, they would just walk outside and throw a rock at one. Its that easy for them. Stop it because the quality women get disgusted and delete their accounts and my good guy friends never have a chance to meet them. Sorry for the long message, I get asked this questions alot by my friends. In no way do I think all people are like this but there sure is alot of people who are so im not judging all.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Calvert got it all. :smile:
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    As a guy, I would at least first offer to pay but if for whatever reason the lady doesn't want me to, well what can I do?
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Our third date was last night, we went to a Brazilian steakhouse. It was my idea, so I paid. No problem. Earlier in the day we got a pedicure, and she paid (I didn't realize they were $35/ea until yesterday) since I paid for dinner the night before. At the bar, she got the 6 pack for the concert.

It can work out nicely, it is for us. We're both holding down full time jobs (her 2) and don't mind sharing.

There's no reason why any couple/dating/bf-gf can't do the same. If there is, it should be a good reason.

:)