Dinner date- who pays?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There's no reason why any couple/dating/bf-gf can't do the same. If there is, it should be a good reason.

When I read this sentence, I feel that it implies there is something inherently wrong in expecting the guy to pay.

I think it’s really more a preference. Everyone has different tastes and likes. I don’t think it’s wrong to say I like my partner to treat me when we go out any more than it’s wrong to for someone to say I like my partner to shave her legs.

What makes us feel loved is individual. Some feel loved when their partner does recreational activities for them. Some feel loved when their partner makes an effort to look good. If you’re never read His Needs Her Needs, you might be surprised to know that some people feel loved when their partner takes care of the house. And some people feel loved when their partner provides financially. No right or wrong here, just preferences and what works for you.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    There's no reason why any couple/dating/bf-gf can't do the same. If there is, it should be a good reason.

I feel that it implies there is something inherently wrong in expecting the guy to pay.

I'm glad we agree on this subject!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Who is the arbiter of what is a good reason and what isn't?

There is nothing wrong with a woman believing that a man should pay if he initiates the date. And there is nothing wrong with a man expecting a woman to show some appreciation and do something nice for him, too. I don't even think it's a quid pro quo issue. I think it's just what you expect from someone who likes you and ostensibly wants to treat you well.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach to this. It's unlikely that two people who have wildly different views about it are going to end up seeing each other long enough for it to matter anyway.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

I feel that it implies there is something inherently wrong in expecting the guy to pay.

you crack me up!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

you crack me up!

;)