Just For Today I will

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I got my copy of "The Thin Commandments Diet" today......it is a used book from paperbackswap.com.......it is in great condition.

:glasses: I looked over the first commandment to refresh my memory and saw the part about listening to a power tape. I never made a power tape to play for myself to encourage me, but in a lot of ways, my participation in MFP and the Senior Golden Sneakers has that quality......you all encourage me and each other so when I read our posts I see encouraging words for me and the encouraging things you say to each other and I see that others have succeeded which is motivating to me.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I have been aiming to check with you gals about power tape just what is it?
    I have been reading on his diet. to see what he has to say. And then my batteries needed charging up. Glad you got your book . now you will have two of them.And Len has hers.

Marie
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    MARIE: I have never listened to tapes while walking either, I listen to music when i walk and that's
    more for keeping my pace up, but not for inspirational thoughts to keep me motivated about food.

Well I did a lot of reading of the book on Saturday since Dave was doing my taxes most of the day.
    I am on the Fifth Commandment and I can't believe after reading so many different books in the past
    and getting ideas I still am learning new tips from this book.
    The chapter I am on talks about when going to buffets, restaurants and cocktail parties how to not eat
    too much by doing certain things.
    Now since we have so many get togethers in the summer with boating, I really had a hard time with
    all the food around me. Also, when we are at our home port we tend to go around and
    visit other boats when they are docked and people are always putting out snacks for us to eat.
    So I have a strategy from this chapter on how not to overeat and i plan on using it this summer.
    I am more active in the summer and there is no reason why I can't get a handle on all that food too.

Since this year I will not be involved in setting up the parties I can relax more and use my strategy
    to get a handle on the food.

I look forward to our discussions and any input from everyone.

Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Shirley I read a lot of the Box in and box out. today. really make a lots of sense.. I can just tell the them not to bring the chips when I go to my faverite Mexican Place. and I should be all right. He tells how one meal will not hurt our weight loss but don't do it too often. and for us not to have any triggers food in the house. Only when you go out or at a friends house, Just not do it too many times. Well I don't but Jerry has plenty and there is no way he will change, He don't have a problem like me. So what I learn today is not to bake cakes and pies. I never been a pie maker or a cookie maker but I do love to bake cakes . Thinking how I will enjoy eating them So if they are not in the house I can't eat them. He tells how one lady kept her cookies at work and when she left for home take 2 cookies with her for a snack at home. And on lady kept Waffers at work in the office freeger and took one home with her and had a strawberry shortscake every night.. i remember one day at Walmart When I was eatin graham crackers i would buy a box that had smaller Pkg inside There was a stocker by me and he said the other box was the same thing. I told him when I open a large pkg i would not stop till they were all gone I would not go back and get another pkg. And the box with the smaller Pkg i would not sstop till they were all gone and Would not go back for anther Pkg. go back for another small pkg Ritz crackers the same thing.So much for of crackers. Jerry keeps ritz crackers on the sghelf aat all times But they are his same thing with his oreo cookies. untill I get a low blood sugar. Then heavens help him if he ets in my way

Time for bed.
    See you tomorrow
    Marie.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :drinker: Marie, the power tapes he talks about in the book are tapes you make for yourself.......he gives a lot of ideas of encouraging things to say on the tape so you can play if for yourself to encourage you......I've never done that and probably won't but my participation on MFP does the same thing for me because you all tell me things to motivate and encourage me and not let me give up.

:flowerforyou: I gave up baking when I started on MFP.....I gave away my baking pans and all the flour, sugar, etc. that I had only for baking.....neither Jake or I need to eat that stuff...sometimes Jake will have dessert at a restaurant or an event, but is mostly fine with not having it in the house...even for people without a weight problem, none of that stuff has any food value.

:heart: Barbie
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Good Tuesday Morning.
    I will be reading the book every morning and hope some of it soak in.

It did yesterday had a great day eating by a new staergy. I think it is working.
    i read where it said you do not have to give up any foods that you love. Just don't keep it in your house.. Go to a resturant to have it or at a friend house. He said you do not gained weight on an occasional meal Its all the other days.So no more baking sweets in my house. I may have Mac and cheese that my husband make every Monday but just 1/2 c. I could eat a whole plate full. I will not buy ritz cracker for I want stopped eating them till the whole section is gone. For some reason I want stop at a few I have to have the whole pkg. Same thing is true with graham crackers. So I will box those item out and not have them in my house for me. Now My husband has them for he can control them. But not me I got to have it all. I consider the Mac and cheese Jerry's food so I know I will not overeat on it. besdes he save it and have another night of mac and cheese lateer in the week.

It feels good to talk about my problem with food. So i will box out all the foods that are a triger food for me.
    thanks Barbie and len for your big help Maybe this time next year I will be a success story.
    :heart: :heart: Marie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou: I love the "box it in and box it out" strategy......there are many foods that I don't eat in moderation so I never have them in the house.

:flowerforyou: I love corn bread but Jake doesn't eat it so if I made corn bread I would eat the whole pan no matter what goofy plan I made to portion it out, so the only time I eat cornbread is at two restaurants that I go to from time to time.....I order one piece and I'm happy and I can't over eat.

:bigsmile: Barbie
  • Shirley61
    Options
    Marie: It sounds like graham crackers and crackers are a trigger food for you. They are like chips, you just can't
    eat one. They also have a lot of sugar in them which will raise your sugar. Good time to box them out.

I just read about keeping the other partners snacks in one cupboard just for them. Some people even put
    a lock on the cupboard door so they can't be tempted. I think that may be drastic but I guess it all depends
    how much you want to lose weight and get healthy.

I have been rearranging my cupboards a little, one to make more room and one to get rid of foods which
    we don't eat all the time only ocassionally. I love to organize so this is fun for me. :happy:

Having some kind of strategy seems to be key in this book, making a plan before you leave the house
    and getting your snacks ready when you go on a trip so you are not starving when you reach your
    destination.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    Hi - I was reading the chapter on stress eating and that's something that's been one of my issues for a long time. While I do keep gluten free ginger cookies in my house at this time, I do have them in the basement, not in the kitchen. Also since I've substituted walking around and/or eating mini carrots as stress relievers, I really do not think about the cookies in the basement.

At some point they'll be too stale to consider eating, then I'll toss them out.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I just "box out" a bag of candy. I was going to get a bag of minature candy bars to have around for a low blood sugar attack for they are G F but put them back. I will just have to used fruit, milk or yogurt and stay out of Jerry's cookies. have not had a low blood sugar in several days therefore no Binge on Jerry's Cookies. Still reading the book.. Think I will o get a hot cup of coffee and read some more Oh another thing i "box out" of is darn it I forgot what it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good for you Marie! That's great that you are sorting things out. I'm glad you've been feeling better. Long distance hugs and best wishes to you!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou:Here is a great quote that spells out why I like the book so much .....it's on page 8

"Diets are just words on a page, a list on paper of what to eat. They don't help you plan what to think or say, and they don't tell you how to behave. They ignore the right behaviors,the critical issues of how to stay motivated and how to bounce back from a lapse, and how to avoid cravings and feelings of deprivation, and they don't change your thinking about food.

Strategy deals with how to make weight control easy.. The right techniques actually encourage you to want to continue"

• Shirley61
    Options
    Yes a great quote Barbie, even the eating plan I am on now you have to keep strict with it.
    I found I have missed a few snacks because i was busy. So you really have to stick with what's
    on the page. Very true.

I am on the part in the book of BOX IN AND BOX OUT. I found it very interesting. I do need to
    box out chocolate and ice cream. Two real triggers for me. Only have them on a special
    occasion or holiday. I don't have either of them in the house ever. I don't have cookies or any
    sweets either. I just can't eat one. A friend of mine who is obsessed about chips cannot eat
    just a few. She says no one seems to understand this I can't have them in the house.
    If she has the large bag she eats all of it. Then she bought the snack size in a box.
    She started on a bag and by the end of the day she ate the box of them. I can certainly
    relate with that.

You must have a plan and a strategy so you can lose weight and maintain it.

Shirley
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I am reading Scale for Dieting The ten quiz this morning the I am going to try to type it up so i can make a copy of it and print it out On the word pad. to read once a week on Friday on my weigh in morning. I am not such a geat typist so it will take me awhile

The # 1 ; Am I going more than 3 to 4 hours without eating a healty snack or meal?

#2 Am I felling the plan(i.e., letting supplies of healty foods run out, going into food situations hungry, failing to prepare for high risk food situations, and failing to carry my ThinPack when traveling ( got to find that in the book and see what it has to say avbout I) or going out for a busy day See Chapter 4 for more on that

#3 Am I avoiding foods I have a history of abusing?

#4 Am I keping my moods out of the my foods? Am I not eating out of boredom or anger, and and I reminding my self in stressful situations that" this is not about food."?

#5 Am I keeping problems food out of the house or out of sight?

#6 Am I avoiding high risk situation (i,e, reading dessert menus, looking at deserts carts,dining in restaurants with buffet- style

# 7Am I maintiang finger control? Avoiding minless nibbing?

#8Am I eating too much of the" right foods" ( Such as chicken or fruit)

# 9 Am I watching for the hidden calories that stop weight loss ( such as those found in salas dressings, foods made in butter or oil, sauces onfood, and side dishet, and failing to ask in reastaurant " What does it come with?" and how is it prepare."

10 Am I reminding myself that this is not about deprivation but doing whatworks for a happier healter Life?

hey I did it now go and post it on my wordpad and then in the morning answer some of these Questions
    Now to find the slim Pack Anybody has it?

Barbie been telling us for years about this. All of it. Now Len has been pratice it too. and look at them Almost 200 lbs thinner between them So We know it works. I would like to add 60 lbs to that total. How about you?

Marie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Marie - that is an excellent checklist. Good for you.

Yes, I always have a snack with me when I go out. It's not a kit or lots of things but I do always think to take something with me.

One thing relating to strategy is still a problem for me and that is being sick or not feeling well. I was brought up to believe that just finding the right food would make you feel better. And we fed a cold and fed a fever. As an adult I've had lots of digestive issues and the thought of eating greens or carrots just made me feel even worse. And of course lots of *runs* so I'd always gone to things like mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, mac and cheese, or just cheese, milk, toast---you get the picture. Now none of those things are options and I struggle with this when I am not feeling at all well.

A friend of mine has had serious colitis problems and his solution has always been, just do not eat. Drink water and wait to feel better. I am still finding this difficult to do. I was trying to just drink detox tea or a huge mug of hot water with lemon and ginger but right now since I'm getting off the Prilosec, I'm beging very careful with everything I eat.

So this week I had a day or two when I didn't eat much of anything. I'm eating now but ladies, what is your strategy for eating healthy when under the weather?

Thanks...

Lin
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lin, surprisingly for me, dairy never helped when was sick.....I haven't been sick in a long time but if I were, I'd be having chicken broth maybe with brown rice or the quinoa and sprouted rice mix that we buy from Costco......my father always wanted soft boiled eggs and tomato juice when he didn't feel when and when I was sick, he would offer to make some for me.

• CALIECAT
    Options
    Lost 3 lbs this week going for 2 lbs this week to try to make my 5 lbs for the month of Feebuary.
    now I will take my weekly quiz from the Book
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I am reading Scale for Dieting The ten quiz this morning the I am going to try to type it up so i can make a copy of it and print it out On the word pad. to read once a week on Friday on my weigh in morning. I am not such a geat typist so it will take me awhile

The # 1 ; Am I going more than 3 to 4 hours without eating a healty snack or meal?.......................ot to work on this more

#2 Am I felling the plan(i.e., letting supplies of healty foods run out, going into food situations hungry, failing to prepare for high risk food situations, and failing to carry my ThinPack when traveling ( got to find that in the book and see what it has to say avbout I) or going out for a busy day See Chapter 4.................... for more on that I don't think this is a problems.

#3 Am I avoiding foods I have a history of abusing?..............i must say I have

#4 Am I keping my moods out of the my foods? Am I not eating out of boredom or anger, and and I reminding my self in stressful situations that" this is not about food."?............So far so good

#5 Am I keeping problems food out of the house or out of sight? ...........I don't have any but Jerry does But he has them stash away in itins containers so they are out of sight and they are his So don't touch unless a low blood sugar. Did not have one this week therefore I had a weight lost.

#6 Am I avoiding high risk situation (i,e, reading dessert menus, looking at deserts carts,dining in restaurants with buffet- style .................... I have quit ordering free sweets cookbooks from amazone. need to get alice to delete all that I have got and there are many

# 7Am I maintiang finger control? Avoiding minless nibbing?..................... Still working on this

#8Am I eating too much of the" right foods" ( Such as chicken or fruit)..............Sometimes I think so

# 9 Am I watching for the hidden calories that stop weight loss ( such as those found in salas dressings, foods made in butter or oil, sauces onfood, and side dishet, and failing to ask in reastaurant " What does it come with?" and how is it prepare." .......Need to work on this better

10 Am I reminding myself that this is not about deprivation but doing wha tworks for a happier healter Life? .....working on that too.

So I still have lots to work on.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Marie - excellent post.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this ladies, I do feel I follow those rules pretty good, but what a great daily reminder.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    MARIE: So glad you listed all these items for us. I am still working on the strategy and planning.
    Boxing In and Boxing Out will be a great plan for me. Now just stick to it. !!

Shirley :bigsmile: