CUT Progress After RESET-Tell us your ups/downs!

Options

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    wow! some great losses happening! Congrats to you guys!

@carrie, I agree totally about the 1st of the month thing!

AFM, I'm on the tail end of TOM. Between it and camping this weekend (camping = high sodium, high carbs, low protein, a little wine) my scale is up several pounds and my waistline feels pudgy. Needless to say I was not a happy camper getting dressed this morning or by what I saw on the scale. sigh. I feel like it's Detox week now....lol

Anyways, I hope that you all have had a great weekend and that your Monday weigh-ins/measurements are pleasant! Here's to a great October everyone!!
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    @jyska, I am in your boat this morning. I must be holding about 6 pounds of water, no kidding. I had better be holding 6 pounds of water or I am going to have to hurt something, lol.

Way too much sodium this weekend and not drinking enough, yuck. I feel it in my hands and feet and middle. I should know better, I am about to ovulate this week and I know I tend to hold water this week of the month so I should have been a little better with my food choices. Oh well, live and learn. Hoping it comes off as quickly as it came on.

I renewed my bodybugg subscription, so I am curious to see if I am still burning what I was last winter.

My goals for this month are to continue weight lifting 3 days, some sort of cardio 3 days and to work on my diet (more veggies, enough protein and hopefully the rest will fall into place)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My fitbit actually dried out and works just fine now.. but I already contacted fitbit to see if they would replace, and they are.. so I guess I have a spare one in case I ever wash it again :)

I love it. It tracks really well and it has shown my TDEE is actually been higher than I thought. I wear it for running and walking activities, but I wear my HRM for weight lifting. It is no good for "stationary" type movements.

Nothing much for me today.. plugging along hoping there is a loss this week for me.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    My fitbit actually dried out and works just fine now.. but I already contacted fitbit to see if they would replace, and they are.. so I guess I have a spare one in case I ever wash it again :)

I love it. It tracks really well and it has shown my TDEE is actually been higher than I thought. I wear it for running and walking activities, but I wear my HRM for weight lifting. It is no good for "stationary" type movements.

Nothing much for me today.. plugging along hoping there is a loss this week for me.

By the way, I did end up having some issue with MFP and my fitbit...the past week is WAY over estimating my fitbit adjustment. By like 800 cals a day. It's working again now but tons of people were having this issue too.
  • Raynn1
    Options

By the way, I did end up having some issue with MFP and my fitbit...the past week is WAY over estimating my fitbit adjustment. By like 800 cals a day. It's working again now but tons of people were having this issue too.

I saw that in the tech thread. seems the adjustments have been crazy for a bit. Last I checked my issue still wasnt fixed with the double counting of cals from MFP, but they were close to fixing..
    Are you still eating 15% cut from your fitbit numbers?
  • maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I wish I had some good news but I do not. I sucessfully completed a 10 week reset eating at 2500 calories. Throughout the reset, I gained 2 pounds but then quickly maintained on 2500 calories. Upon completion of the reset, I initially cut 10% (2250). At 10%, I lost nothing. I then cut to 15% (2125) and still lost nothing. I am now at a 20% cut (2000) and am still not losing. It does not make any sense that I could maintain my weight perfectly at 2500 calories but cannot lose anything when I cut 10,15 or 20%. I had complete faith in EMTWL and am now begning to question it. I do not want to go back to Weight Watchers... I was cranky and completely obsessed with food. I really need some help with this :( Thank you for any help.
  • jyska
    Options
    Hi everyone. I wish I had some good news but I do not. I sucessfully completed a 10 week reset eating at 2500 calories. Throughout the reset, I gained 2 pounds but then quickly maintained on 2500 calories. Upon completion of the reset, I initially cut 10% (2250). At 10%, I lost nothing. I then cut to 15% (2125) and still lost nothing. I am now at a 20% cut (2000) and am still not losing. It does not make any sense that I could maintain my weight perfectly at 2500 calories but cannot lose anything when I cut 10,15 or 20%. I had complete faith in EMTWL and am now begning to question it. I do not want to go back to Weight Watchers... I was cranky and completely obsessed with food. I really need some help with this :( Thank you for any help.

This is actually quite normal. Some people take up to 6 - 8 weeks before they see a scale loss (and some even longer). However there are several factors at play here too.

1. are you lifting?
    2. are you measuring?
    3. are you watching your macros?
    4. is your deficit too big?
    5. are you taking pictures each month?

Scale weight when lifting is really counterproductive. Many people are finding that their body shape is changing (myself personally) but that the scale weight doesn't change or it actually increases by a few pounds. Someone on my friends list this morning just recorded a 3 inch loss over her body, but a 3lb gain on the scale. People see inches lost...scale weight is secondary.

I personally have not lost any weight since going to cut about 2 months ago, but I have lost a few inches and my body shape is changing (proof in the pics I take each month). Make sure you take those pics! :flowerforyou:
  • maltipink
    Options

This is actually quite normal. Some people take up to 6 - 8 weeks before they see a scale loss (and some even longer). However there are several factors at play here too.

1. are you lifting?
    2. are you measuring?
    3. are you watching your macros?
    4. is your deficit too big?
    5. are you taking pictures each month?

Scale weight when lifting is really counterproductive. Many people are finding that their body shape is changing (myself personally) but that the scale weight doesn't change or it actually increases by a few pounds. Someone on my friends list this morning just recorded a 3 inch loss over her body, but a 3lb gain on the scale. People see inches lost...scale weight is secondary.

I personally have not lost any weight since going to cut about 2 months ago, but I have lost a few inches and my body shape is changing (proof in the pics I take each month). Make sure you take those pics! :flowerforyou:

Thank you so much for your response!

1. are you lifting? I lift 3 days a week (25 min each session) and do about 40 min Cardio 6 days a week (I mainly do the cardio so I can eat more calories.. gives me between 300 and 400 extra per day)
    2. are you measuring? I have been taking measurements and there has been no change :(
    3. are you watching your macros? All macros are good
    4. is your deficit too big? I was not losing even when my defict was smaller (10%)
    5. are you taking pictures each month? I take a lot of pictures. There has been no change except a little more arm definition and more visibile abdominal muscles.

I would be happy if at least my measurements were decreasing but they are not. Why do you think it take so long to see a loss on the scale? If I do weight watchers, I lose the first week?
  • jyska
    Options

1. are you lifting? I lift 3 days a week (25 min each session) and do about 40 min Cardio 6 days a week (I mainly do the cardio so I can eat more calories.. gives me between 300 and 400 extra per day)
    2. are you measuring? I have been taking measurements and there has been no change :(
    4. is your deficit too big? I was not losing even when my defict was smaller (10%)
    5. are you taking pictures each month? I take a lot of pictures. There has been no change except a little more arm definition and more visibile abdominal muscles.

I would be happy if at least my measurements were decreasing but they are not. Why do you think it take so long to see a loss on the scale? If I do weight watchers, I lose the first week?

One thing that stands out is the fact that you are seeing more arm definition and ab definition!!! Those are changes! There are several people I know on here that see changes without inches moving at all....our bodies are funny that way. It sounds to me like you are having success...you are just using too big of a measuring stick right now. :flowerforyou:

the reason Weight Watchers or other low cal diets see losses on the scale so easily is because you lose fat, lean muscle and water. With what you are doing now, you are 're-balancing' everything and focusing mostly on fat loss. This may cause inches and scale to show very little change but you are seeing changes in your pics. That is success in my opinion. :happy:
  • maltipink
    Options
    Thank you! I guess I just have to continue having patience with myself. I am so tempted just to start eating my TDEE again if eating at a cut is not causing weight loss ( I miss 2500)
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I guess I just have to continue having patience with myself. I am so tempted just to start eating my TDEE again if eating at a cut is not causing weight loss ( I miss 2500)

You don't look like you have a lot of weight to lose, correct me if I am wrong, but if that is the case, you will want to stick with a smaller deficit to really take advantage of body recomposition rather than losing more muscle along the way.

Some people end up settling for a higher weight on the scale but smaller sizes due to body recomp from lifting weights. This is a win/win because you will be able to eat more in the long run (because you are heavier), but you will be smaller. Give it time, it will happen and sounds (and looks) like you are already well on your way.

I miss 2500 too!!!
  • maltipink
    Options
    At this point, I would love to see a smaller size. If my measurements would go down, I would forget about the scale.
  • Raynn1
    Options

Something that jumped out at me, was 6 days of cardio. Have you tried scaling back a bit on the cardio and increasing the weight training to 45 mins?

Based on your ticker, you are working on your last 8-10 pounds? Since you are getting close to the end of your journey, it might not neccessarily be a scale loss you are looking for, but a fat loss, which means you want to see inches change more than the scale changes. You may find that your weight may not go down but your body composition will change over the next few months. As jomatho said, you will probably want to keep your deficit to no more than 15%.. probably around 10% is about all you want to take advantage of building the muscle to lose the fat.

Also remember, THIS is not a diet, and therefore 10 pounds isnt just magically going to fall off, no matter how badly we want it. This is something I still struggle with myself, so its hard to accept at times, but its true. I have been on Cut for about 8 weeks now, including a 10day tdee break, and I have lost 3 pounds. but my inches are finally starting to drop, and sometimes not in the places I really want or need them to, but my body is changing, and that makes me happy.

Take measurements of everything.. wrist, forearm, calf, shoulders.. take pictures. Put them side by side in a single pic and have someone else view them. We are the most critical of ourselves, but usually someone else can see the slight changes happening, even when the tape measure doesnt show change either. I just went through this myself, and you can see my slight change pics here: http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/showthread.php?tid=189&page=2

This was enough for me to know that this IS working. Kiki had a video up recently about goal setting... and this rung true for me. If you have a goal, like me, of wanting to lose FAT.. then I have ton concentrate on that, which means INCHES.. the weight loss is a product of losing fat and that will come in its own .. make sense?

hope this helps
  • maltipink
    Options

Something that jumped out at me, was 6 days of cardio. Have you tried scaling back a bit on the cardio and increasing the weight training to 45 mins?

Based on your ticker, you are working on your last 8-10 pounds? Since you are getting close to the end of your journey, it might not neccessarily be a scale loss you are looking for, but a fat loss, which means you want to see inches change more than the scale changes. You may find that your weight may not go down but your body composition will change over the next few months. As jomatho said, you will probably want to keep your deficit to no more than 15%.. probably around 10% is about all you want to take advantage of building the muscle to lose the fat.

Also remember, THIS is not a diet, and therefore 10 pounds isnt just magically going to fall off, no matter how badly we want it. This is something I still struggle with myself, so its hard to accept at times, but its true. I have been on Cut for about 8 weeks now, including a 10day tdee break, and I have lost 3 pounds. but my inches are finally starting to drop, and sometimes not in the places I really want or need them to, but my body is changing, and that makes me happy.

Take measurements of everything.. wrist, forearm, calf, shoulders.. take pictures. Put them side by side in a single pic and have someone else view them. We are the most critical of ourselves, but usually someone else can see the slight changes happening, even when the tape measure doesnt show change either. I just went through this myself, and you can see my slight change pics here: http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/showthread.php?tid=189&page=2

This was enough for me to know that this IS working. Kiki had a video up recently about goal setting... and this rung true for me. If you have a goal, like me, of wanting to lose FAT.. then I have ton concentrate on that, which means INCHES.. the weight loss is a product of losing fat and that will come in its own .. make sense?

hope this helps

Thank you so much! I have considered backing off the cardio but then that would mean my TDEE would go down and I like to eat ( a little TOO much) :(. Yes I do only have about 10 pounds to go.. I just want to know that I can do it without going the Weight Watchers route.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just one thing you may not have considered... sometimes body composition is changing without changes in scale OR measurements. I have seen a lot of people (and I think myself too) where their tummies get flatter but measurement stays the same.

If you are seeing more definition (which you say you are) then these things may not change for a long time. However in photos, you will see differences.

I use photos more than anything for my own progression. Scale and measurements don't tell me much but photos and clothes tell me lots.

In fact, I should mention that scale has gone up for me. This could end up happening to you as you build muscle (esp if eating at TDEE again like you are considering). Most of the amazing women's physiques I see lately weigh more at their best, than they did when they were bigger.

Throwing the scale away and focusing on appearance may be something you really want to work towards mentally, especially as you already look quite lean.
  • maltipink
    Options
    Just one thing you may not have considered... sometimes body composition is changing without changes in scale OR measurements. I have seen a lot of people (and I think myself too) where their tummies get flatter but measurement stays the same.

If you are seeing more definition (which you say you are) then these things may not change for a long time. However in photos, you will see differences.

I use photos more than anything for my own progression. Scale and measurements don't tell me much but photos and clothes tell me lots.

In fact, I should mention that scale has gone up for me. This could end up happening to you as you build muscle (esp if eating at TDEE again like you are considering). Most of the amazing women's physiques I see lately weigh more at their best, than they did when they were bigger.

Throwing the scale away and focusing on appearance may be something you really want to work towards mentally, especially as you already look quite lean.

Thank you :) I am trying very hard to look at this logically. I wore a BMF for 3 months and my TDEE was about 2500. if I am not losing at a 10-20% cut of that, something must be happening with my body whether I can see it or not right now. This whole experience has been so importnant to me. I was so sick of not knowing how many calories I could eat and not gain. I guess that is why I stayed a slave to weight watchers for so long. Everything was in "points" not calories so if I stopped doing weight watchers, I did not know where I stood calorie wise. I have realized that there is no magic in the points system. It is all about Calories in and Calories out.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I am trying very hard to look at this logically. I wore a BMF for 3 months and my TDEE was about 2500. if I am not losing at a 10-20% cut of that, something must be happening with my body whether I can see it or not right now. This whole experience has been so importnant to me. I was so sick of not knowing how many calories I could eat and not gain. I guess that is why I stayed a slave to weight watchers for so long. Everything was in "points" not calories so if I stopped doing weight watchers, I did not know where I stood calorie wise. I have realized that there is no magic in the points system. It is all about Calories in and Calories out.

My pleasure :smile:

Yeah 20% cut would definitely be too much. And maybe even 10%... because I read something interesting on my newsfeed today from Lucia (one of the EM2WL creators). She had her cut figured at 1900, this had always worked. However as she is now under 30% body fat, she had started to gain again. She had to up her calories again. Apparently there's a phenomena that the leaner you get, the more calories you need. Your figured TDEE may actually be your new cut.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I would do just that, eat TDEE for two weeks then try 2400 calories and see if you lose.

As Lulu mentioned, it has been so CRAZY, that I reset for 9wks finally plateaued and stayed steady, then I go cut and gained weight...long story, but I redid my numbers using Katch McArdle since my body fat is 23% and eat 10% which is 2222. The weight gain stopped and I think I am starting to trend down since I have my period and didn't go up the normal 5lbs. So next week this time I will know for sure. Looking in the mirror I see a difference, so I know for sure I can't eat at 1900 or 2000 calories anymore.

Your bf seems low, so you also may want to consider using McArdle instead of St. Joer to calculate.
  • maltipink
    Options

I would do just that, eat TDEE for two weeks then try 2400 calories and see if you lose.

As Lulu mentioned, it has been so CRAZY, that I reset for 9wks finally plateaued and stayed steady, then I go cut and gained weight...long story, but I redid my numbers using Katch McArdle since my body fat is 23% and eat 10% which is 2222. The weight gain stopped and I think I am starting to trend down since I have my period and didn't go up the normal 5lbs. So next week this time I will know for sure. Looking in the mirror I see a difference, so I know for sure I can't eat at 1900 or 2000 calories anymore.

Your bf seems low, so you also may want to consider using McArdle instead of St. Joer to calculate.

I am actually going to get both my VO2 and RMR tested using the whole oxygen mask thing on Monday. I will then know for sure what my actual RMR is and how my calories should work around it. I am very excited!!
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    HI team!

Quick update from me. I'm about to finish my 6th week of cut.

Weight has been up and down, largely because of regular lifting (I aim for 2 - 3 times a week, and I go as heavy as I can). I've been doing a lot of walking, and then *usually* aiming for 2 intense cardio days (HIIT training) per week.

My weight is hovering at where it was during my reset (between 79 and 79.5kg), but I am pleased to report:

* FINALLY a 1 cm loss on my waist, and a 1.5cm loss on my belly; also definitely seeing more definition in the tummy area
    * Thighs have actually gone UP 1 cm, but they're looking better! And they feel tighter and more 'compact', which is so weird. So I totally agree that even if measurements stay the same (or go up!) that doesn't mean things aren't changing.

One weird NSV - yesterday I kinda let loose; just needed a break from tracking my calories, and felt like eating what I wanted, when I wanted. Normally (for example when I used to do Weight Watchers), the next day would see a minimum 1kg jump the next day. I weighed in this morning - no change whatsoever! So my body isn't grabbing into extra food in its desperate fear of a famine. Not that I'm promoting 'letting loose' all the time, but it was a huge relief!

Anyway - despite the lack of HUGE measurement changes, and the non-existent scale losses, I do feel that my body is changing and just firming up everywhere. My shorts are getting so loose that they could actually fall off with a slight tug, and I bought some NZ (or UK) size 11 jeans last week which is CRAZY to me!!! I was a 16-18 on my bigger days, and a 12 before starting EM2WL.

I'm a believer!