May 2013 Due Dates

Options

Replies

• TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone has good news all around!

I had my first official prenatal appt on Friday. It was a little disappointing in that I did not learn anything new, but I was also not feeling well at all that morning and was unfortunately very cranky. When the midwife asked, Do you feel anxious or depressed? I replied, Umm, I can't eat the healthy diet I usually eat, I've gained 8-9 pounds in 2 months, I feel awful when I exercise, I'm constantly sleepy and I feel like there's a fog in my brain, I'm nauseous 24/7, I've read miscarriage horror stories about the first trimester --how could anyone under these circumstances not feel anxious or depressed? She said, Some women feel elated about their pregnancy. Wow, way to make me feel bad about not being elated. Yes, I'm extremely happy that I'm going to have a baby, but it's hard to feel elated when I feel like I'm undergoing a special form of torture.

Just wondering if the rest of you are able to stay positive during these difficult first tri times, and if so, WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?!!
    :)
  • CLShrader2
    CLShrader2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm due May 25th, so I'm just over 8 weeks along. This is my 2nd pregnancy and it is VERY different than my first. I started really using MFP Jan 2012 and I lost 46lbs. I'm still overweight by a good bit, but I am 15lbs lighter now than I was with my first pregnancy. During my first pregnancy the only real symptoms I had in the first tri was having to use the bathroom an extra 3-4 times a day. This time I'm using the bathroom 10+ times extra a day, I have majorly sore breasts, evening/late night nausea(no vomiting, thank goodness), extreme fatigue, acne, and cramping. Despite all the symptoms my husband and I are extremely happy that we will have a new baby in the house next year. Our 4 yr old isn't as excited, but she's warming up to the idea of a baby sister named Charlie. She won't even entertain the idea of me having a boy or naming a little girl anything other than Charlie. My husband thinks she wants to name the baby Charlie because he always says "Sorry Charlie" to her. lol
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Went for my first OB appointment this morning!! Everything is going well so far. I'm scheduled for my first Ultrasound on Wednesday, so now I have that to look forward too. Plus, she is having me go take the 2hr Glucose test this week. I am considered high risk, and they are going to be keeping a close watch on me. Especially my blood pressure. It is going to be a busy week. I have the inspection for our new house tomorrow, the U/S on Wednesday, the glucose test Sat morning, my hubby's cousin's big Halloween party Sat night, and my step-daughters birthday party on Sunday. I may be dead by Sun night! lol

Glad your first appointment went well! It sounds like you are going to be crazy busy. Sometimes that takes our minds off worrying about ourselves, nausea, etc., though, so it's not always a bad thing. A Halloween party is fun, too!
  • RBXChas
    Options

I had my first official prenatal appt on Friday. It was a little disappointing in that I did not learn anything new, but I was also not feeling well at all that morning and was unfortunately very cranky. When the midwife asked, Do you feel anxious or depressed? I replied, Umm, I can't eat the healthy diet I usually eat, I've gained 8-9 pounds in 2 months, I feel awful when I exercise, I'm constantly sleepy and I feel like there's a fog in my brain, I'm nauseous 24/7, I've read miscarriage horror stories about the first trimester --how could anyone under these circumstances not feel anxious or depressed? She said, Some women feel elated about their pregnancy. Wow, way to make me feel bad about not being elated. Yes, I'm extremely happy that I'm going to have a baby, but it's hard to feel elated when I feel like I'm undergoing a special form of torture.

Just wondering if the rest of you are able to stay positive during these difficult first tri times, and if so, WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?!!

I'll be honest right now - it's hard to keep positive when you don't feel well and/or other stuff is going on. I think about having a baby again (and how freaking much I am going to love him/her), but then I start thinking about other stuff and get kinda down. For example, one of our (four) dogs, our oldest, is really sick right now, and it's really up in the air as to whether or not he is going to make it. Between that and generally feeling like a**, I have to muster up the ability to be happy sometimes. Then I feel bad about being happy. It's just the way it goes; life does not stop during pregnancy.

Anyway, not to bum everyone out, but it's 100% OK not to be Susie Sunshine all the time simply because you're pregnant. The first time I was pregnant, I was very matter-of-fact about it and HATED when people were like, "Aren't you so excited?!?" Frankly, I wasn't. I love my son to the ends of the earth, so I know feeling that way does not make me a bad mother. I just didn't feel like everything was all rainbows and unicorns.

I felt abnormal at the time, but then I realized that those of us who aren't that way are pretty quiet about it, so we feel like weirdos.

Point being, the way you feel is just fine. Don't feel weird or bad about it!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I'm due May 25th, so I'm just over 8 weeks along. This is my 2nd pregnancy and it is VERY different than my first. I started really using MFP Jan 2012 and I lost 46lbs. I'm still overweight by a good bit, but I am 15lbs lighter now than I was with my first pregnancy. During my first pregnancy the only real symptoms I had in the first tri was having to use the bathroom an extra 3-4 times a day. This time I'm using the bathroom 10+ times extra a day, I have majorly sore breasts, evening/late night nausea(no vomiting, thank goodness), extreme fatigue, acne, and cramping. Despite all the symptoms my husband and I are extremely happy that we will have a new baby in the house next year. Our 4 yr old isn't as excited, but she's warming up to the idea of a baby sister named Charlie. She won't even entertain the idea of me having a boy or naming a little girl anything other than Charlie. My husband thinks she wants to name the baby Charlie because he always says "Sorry Charlie" to her. lol

That is so cute about your daughter and "Charlie." The stuff kids come up with...

But anyway, welcome and congratulations!

This is #2 for me, too, and I can definitely say things have been different so far (I'm 8w1d), due May 25th per my OB (online thingies told me May 26th, but I'm sure by the end I'll take that one day if I can get it). My husband saw cute little baby Halloween costumes at Costco today, and I had to remind him that we can take advantage next year :tongue: The thought of a new baby is so great!

Keep us posted on how you feel and how your appointments go!
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha, Tara, that's hilarious that you ended up with twins! Congratulations!! They're SO fun, but definitely hard work. Be prepared for lots of the same questions/comments from total strangers....twins seem to intrigue everybody! The absolute best book I read was recommended by my pediatrician (who also had twins) called When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads by Dr Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein. It's such a helpful guide in all aspects of the pregnancy! You can get it on Amazon or maybe even at your library. It's totally worth buying, though. Thanks to the nutrition info in it, I delivered my twins at 36w2d and they were 6lb7oz and 6lb9oz. Let me know if you have any questions at all; twin pregnancies can be rough but also exciting! I hope you have a healthy, wonderful pregnancy!

I actually bought the book and have read all the way up to the birthing process, which I wont be reading for a while. But I love the nutrition advice, tho I must say me not being a milk drinker it is hard for me to get my calcium in. I have been trying to eat a lot more cheese, 2 yogurts a day (1 greek and one regular) and I have been forcing myself to drink almond milk. It isnt as bad as regular milk, but I got unsweetened vanilla bc all chcoclate milk has so much sugar! Anyone have any ideas on flavoring milk with less sugar? There is only so much cheese and yogurt I can eat, plus eating a lot of cheese is no good for constipation =/. Also I am trying hard to get my gallon of water in a day, but it isnt always easy...any tips? :)
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    Oh, and my OB gave me the green light to keep on Spinning. She's a Spinning enthusiast herself (as well as a surfer - she's pretty cool), so she knows what it entails. She just said not to do any sprints, which I wouldn't have done anyway.

This was also the first time she'd seen me since before starting MFP. She could not stop telling me how awesome I looked - she guessed I'd lost 100 lbs! (Well, it was about 100 from my pre-delivery weight.) It is nice to hear that, and she really encouraged me to keep on working out as long as it felt good and as long as I could physically do it.

Thats great! My doctors arent allowing me to workout for 3 weeks, so I have 2 weeks to go. I start seeing the high risk doctors Oct 23, looking forward to another ultrasound to make sure the twins are okay...this pregnancy is so much harder bc I am more knowledgable about the nutrition and things than I was the first time and I am doing the best I can t ofollow the book I was recommended nutrition guidelines...it aint easy getting 3500 calories a day though with all good stuff...especially working full time! I am hoping I can workout again soon, though I doubt I will be able to until the twins are here! :(
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options

I understand your feelings completely. I go back and forth..like this morning I woke up and didnt feel pregnant anymore and I was like omg...did the twins just disappear? Then I made breakfast and became nauseous so I knew it was just my mind in my early morning state...I am stoked about having two, but it makes it hard bc I know I have a lot more to focus on so it does stress me out a bit and bum me out bc I have to try hard. I didnt feel like that with my first son. If I hadnt bled a week ago, i wouldnt be so stressed either, so that isnt helping. Plus I am concerned of early bedrest due to preeclampsia with my first one and with multiples its a higher chance. That will affect our stress levels a lot, so trying hard to be positive and keep the babies growing and going as long as possible. Though I must say, knowing we are having 2, just excites me so much bc my chances were so low. I am 22 and although twins run in my family and my sisters are twins, I just didnt think it would be me!! And we planned to stop at 3, so now we will be done and I can get the body I truly want aft6er I have them so I can be healthy and strong for them, thats what keeps me positive! :) Just looking forward to my ultrasound next week so I can see them both again and hear their heartbeats.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Glad to hear that appointments are going well and some people are feeling well :wink:

I had an ultrasound last week, which was nice to see the heartbeat. Today is the OB appointment and I'm hoping for a better prescription for morning sickness. I agree it's tough to stay positive when you feel like garbage 90% of the time. I'm so ready to move on and feel good......eat normal food!

Super homesick and headed home in 10 days so that's something to look forward to!

Hang in there ladies.
  • TheLaser
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses and for making me feel better about being a little down with all of the difficult symptoms. It's our first, and honestly the whole nausea/exhaustion just took both of us by surprise. My friends who had babies either didn't talk about how sick they felt or didn't feel sick (luckies!), so it all kind of blindsided us. And reading about it doesn't really make it very real.

On another note, has anyone been watching the PBS series "Call the Midwife?" Every time a woman goes into labor I start to cry tears of fear but also of excitement. Crazy!
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good morning! My name is Vickie and this is my surprise 4th! I am in complete shock because I've been using Fertility Awareness Method for about 13 years and never had an accidental pregnancy, my others were very much planned and took several months to get pregnant but I had been noticing my fertile times were much stronger now, I assume from working out, than in my twenties.

I just found out last week. I was in denial. I hadn't had my period in 2 months and wasn't feeling great but convinced myself I was going thru early menopause or that maybe I had Celiac disease (my dd was tested recently so I had been reading a lot about it).

I'm nervous and scared. My second child, first daughter, is deceased. We another another daughter after her and planned on her being the last, I just didn't want to go thru the worry again.

I'm due May 20th. My appointment with my midwife isn't to next week, she says she usually starts appointment at 10 weeks.
  • TheLaser
    Options
    I've also been drinking unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and I add a little ovaltine to spruce it up. Ovaltine does have sugar, but you can control how much you add, which is better than drinking the sugar-saturated pre-mixed chocolate almond milk.

I'm impressed that you can eat cheese and yogurt -I haven't been able to look at either in a long time. And I'm originally from Wisconsin. Sigh.

I actually bought the book and have read all the way up to the birthing process, which I wont be reading for a while. But I love the nutrition advice, tho I must say me not being a milk drinker it is hard for me to get my calcium in. I have been trying to eat a lot more cheese, 2 yogurts a day (1 greek and one regular) and I have been forcing myself to drink almond milk. It isnt as bad as regular milk, but I got unsweetened vanilla bc all chcoclate milk has so much sugar! Anyone have any ideas on flavoring milk with less sugar? There is only so much cheese and yogurt I can eat, plus eating a lot of cheese is no good for constipation =/. Also I am trying hard to get my gallon of water in a day, but it isnt always easy...any tips? :)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hi,

Glad to hear that appointments are going well and some people are feeling well :wink:

I had an ultrasound last week, which was nice to see the heartbeat. Today is the OB appointment and I'm hoping for a better prescription for morning sickness. I agree it's tough to stay positive when you feel like garbage 90% of the time. I'm so ready to move on and feel good......eat normal food!

Super homesick and headed home in 10 days so that's something to look forward to!

Hang in there ladies.

So sorry that you are still feeling awful. Hopefully there is a different medication they can give you that will help. That's awesome, though, that you'll be headed home soon! How long will you be in the US?
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses and for making me feel better about being a little down with all of the difficult symptoms. It's our first, and honestly the whole nausea/exhaustion just took both of us by surprise. My friends who had babies either didn't talk about how sick they felt or didn't feel sick (luckies!), so it all kind of blindsided us. And reading about it doesn't really make it very real.

On another note, has anyone been watching the PBS series "Call the Midwife?" Every time a woman goes into labor I start to cry tears of fear but also of excitement. Crazy!

The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people don't share the news publicly, so to speak, that they are expecting, so by the time they're open about it, their morning sickness is either gone or greatly diminished. They may have "forgotten" how sick they felt.

Nope, I've never seen that show, but now I have to check it out!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Good morning! My name is Vickie and this is my surprise 4th! I am in complete shock because I've been using Fertility Awareness Method for about 13 years and never had an accidental pregnancy, my others were very much planned and took several months to get pregnant but I had been noticing my fertile times were much stronger now, I assume from working out, than in my twenties.

I just found out last week. I was in denial. I hadn't had my period in 2 months and wasn't feeling great but convinced myself I was going thru early menopause or that maybe I had Celiac disease (my dd was tested recently so I had been reading a lot about it).

I'm nervous and scared. My second child, first daughter, is deceased. We another another daughter after her and planned on her being the last, I just didn't want to go thru the worry again.

I'm due May 20th. My appointment with my midwife isn't to next week, she says she usually starts appointment at 10 weeks.

Welcome, and congratulations!

Let me just say that I am so, so sorry for your loss. I can understand that having another is a lot of worry after going through that. Hopefully this time all will be well.

Keep us posted on how you're feeling and how your first appointment goes!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    I've also been drinking unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and I add a little ovaltine to spruce it up. Ovaltine does have sugar, but you can control how much you add, which is better than drinking the sugar-saturated pre-mixed chocolate almond milk.

I'm impressed that you can eat cheese and yogurt -I haven't been able to look at either in a long time. And I'm originally from Wisconsin. Sigh.

I've been having a hard time getting in my water these past few days. I just haven't been in the mood for it, and unfortunately I haven't been replacing it with anything else, so basically I'm just not drinking a lot in general. I should drink more milk, since that would help the fullness issue (I had a major low blood sugar dip yesterday afternoon - it was horrible - I realized all I'd eaten for lunch was soup, no snack, no added protein, nothing). I like plain milk but occasionally do like a bit of chocolate in there. I bought Hershey's syrup and just add a little bit - not enough to make it a real chocolate milk, though. I only do it once or twice a week, so I figure it's not that bad. I saw this at Costco yesterday and was tempted to buy it, but I looked at the nutritional information (in the link) and decided not to:

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/kirkland-signature/organic-reduced-fat-chocolate-milk

It sure sounds good, though!
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I'm glad to hear that most of you are doing pretty well - other than the "baby blues" and nausea. I'm jealous that so many of you have had your first dr appointments. I should have called my OB and asked to get in sooner - but my appointment is scheduled for next week and that's soon enough I guess.

I get sad/depressed because of the nausea, lack of energy, and I see all my preggo friends in their 2nd and 3rd trimesters and I find myself comparing their pregnancies to mine - but it's not a fair comparison. They are further along - and like Rebecca said they probably were pretty much over the nausea by the time they came out with their pregnancy news. I just try to remember that I'm blessed to have this little baby coming into my home and that anything I go through right now is worth it to hold him or her in 7 months.

I just barely started getting water back in my diet (yesterday) and today I'm trying really hard. I used to be a HUGE water drinker - but it makes my stomach feel "sloshy" (does that make sense?). I unfortunately found my way to drinking Sprite with my meals again, because the bubbles just feel so good on my raw throat. I've been throwing up so often that I've given myself a sore throat and nothing helps like a Sprite. Besides - if I'm going to throw it up - do the calories really count (kidding!)? My best advice is to carry a water bottle around with you and add ice if you need it.

I love skim milk, so no problem on getting my dairy in. When my sister went back to drinking cow's milk she had to start with 1/2 Silk, 1/2 Milk and then increase the % of milk in each glass until her taste buds could handle it. Not sure if that would help any of you, but it may be worth a shot. Also, Instant Carnation Breakfast has a few vitamins and nutrients in it - it's a flavored powder that you can pour in a glass and it doesn't taste awful. And lastly... my husband's favorite treat when I pack his lunch (he's a graduate student and their cafeteria is awful) is Snack Pack Pudding. They say one puddig pack has more calcium than an 8 oz. glass of milk and they are only 100-150 cals each. Not fantastic because of the sugar - but if you are low on calcium they don't taste awful.

Something new with me is - this morning was kind of the first time that I thought to myself "What if I was a stay at home mom - it would be so nice to stay home, sing, cuddle, play, and spend time with my little man before this baby gets here". I am a working mom and the plan is that I will keep working until my husband is through school (3 more years), but lately he's been suggesting that if I want to quit my job and be a stay at home mom he can get a part time job and we could "figure it out". I'm attached to the security of my paycheck - but I admit that it felt good to think about staying at home with my kids... Hmmm... much to think about... I love being a "young mom" (I'm 23, DH is 26) but I can see how it would have been nice to have him more settled in his career before we started a family.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Hey ladies!

I'm glad to hear that most of you are doing pretty well - other than the "baby blues" and nausea. I'm jealous that so many of you have had your first dr appointments. I should have called my OB and asked to get in sooner - but my appointment is scheduled for next week and that's soon enough I guess.

I get sad/depressed because of the nausea, lack of energy, and I see all my preggo friends in their 2nd and 3rd trimesters and I find myself comparing their pregnancies to mine - but it's not a fair comparison. They are further along - and like Rebecca said they probably were pretty much over the nausea by the time they came out with their pregnancy news. I just try to remember that I'm blessed to have this little baby coming into my home and that anything I go through right now is worth it to hold him or her in 7 months.

I just barely started getting water back in my diet (yesterday) and today I'm trying really hard. I used to be a HUGE water drinker - but it makes my stomach feel "sloshy" (does that make sense?). I unfortunately found my way to drinking Sprite with my meals again, because the bubbles just feel so good on my raw throat. I've been throwing up so often that I've given myself a sore throat and nothing helps like a Sprite. Besides - if I'm going to throw it up - do the calories really count (kidding!)? My best advice is to carry a water bottle around with you and add ice if you need it.

I love skim milk, so no problem on getting my dairy in. When my sister went back to drinking cow's milk she had to start with 1/2 Silk, 1/2 Milk and then increase the % of milk in each glass until her taste buds could handle it. Not sure if that would help any of you, but it may be worth a shot. Also, Instant Carnation Breakfast has a few vitamins and nutrients in it - it's a flavored powder that you can pour in a glass and it doesn't taste awful. And lastly... my husband's favorite treat when I pack his lunch (he's a graduate student and their cafeteria is awful) is Snack Pack Pudding. They say one puddig pack has more calcium than an 8 oz. glass of milk and they are only 100-150 cals each. Not fantastic because of the sugar - but if you are low on calcium they don't taste awful.

Something new with me is - this morning was kind of the first time that I thought to myself "What if I was a stay at home mom - it would be so nice to stay home, sing, cuddle, play, and spend time with my little man before this baby gets here". I am a working mom and the plan is that I will keep working until my husband is through school (3 more years), but lately he's been suggesting that if I want to quit my job and be a stay at home mom he can get a part time job and we could "figure it out". I'm attached to the security of my paycheck - but I admit that it felt good to think about staying at home with my kids... Hmmm... much to think about... I love being a "young mom" (I'm 23, DH is 26) but I can see how it would have been nice to have him more settled in his career before we started a family.

Ooh, I totally forgot about Carnation Instant Breakfast! I drank that last time I was pregnant, and I think now they have one that has less sugar. I need to check that out.

I was a WAHM (though I didn't get that much work done at home) for the first 18 or so months of my son's life. While I wouldn't trade it for anything, the days that I am home with him, either because he's sick or because his school is closed (not counting weekends when my husband is also home), I find really tiring. Not that I'm not exhausted at the end of a work day, but I think my problem is that I don't plan well enough, so I spend a lot of time at home with him and nothing more to do than play with him and try to appease him when I can't play with him (like when I need to go pee), which makes the hours crawl by. I found it incredibly hard to go from getting a paycheck to not getting one, especially if you weren't planning on staying home (that was not the plan before my son was born), so I recommend literally doing the math, then doing it again, then seeing what you can live without, etc. For us it worked because my old job would have barely covered the cost of day care, not counting the sick days I'd have to take, and I hated my job anyway. Another big consideration was health insurance, since my employer provided it for all of us. We ended up with really crappy insurance until we were able to find something better that was affordable. Point being, with really, really, really careful planning, you can figure it out. It may or may not work for you, but it's definitely worth checking out.

As for this time, I have no idea what we're going to do. I don't think my staying home long-term is going to be possible, but we can't afford a nanny (I don't know many people who can), and most good preschools, like the one my son attends, don't take kids until they are 12 months old. Plus that's 12 months at the beginning of the school year (August), so for me that will mean that this baby will be 15 months old by the time s/he is allowed to go there. I'm not so sure about other places - I just don't know if I'm comfortable with the idea yet. Maybe I just have to be. I am pretty sure that regardless of whether or not I stay home for longer than the first couple of months, my son will be staying in his preschool.
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options

Oh maybe I should get Ovaltine! I decided to buy some Chocolate Silk chocolate this morning, it only has 3 grams of sugar, so I am hoping I will like it. I havent had any yet today, been a crazy day at work so I am focusing on my water and fruit atm! I lived in Wisconsin for 2 years, my dad still lives there and I still have friends there, I loved it! All the snow was great!
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options

They do make the sugar free! I did forget about pudding, thank you for the reminder!!! I have been cheesing and yogurting as much as possible lol....so throwing some pudding in will be great! WE have some in the pantry :) I know whats for dessert tonight!