Ladies 35+ in stage 1 of NROLFW? Please join me!

Options
CanGirl40
CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
Hi,

I started stage 1 a couple of weeks ago and love it so far. I'd done "weights" in the past but not really "heavy" lifting. I've also been doing the EM2WL philosophy and upping calories daily to 1700/rest day, 2000 on workout days.

I'm not really looking to "lose weight" per se, more to add some muscle and re-shape my body...

Just looking for a group for support and inspiration along this journey!

Tomorrow is Stage 1 workout B, week 3...:laugh:

Cangirl40 :flowerforyou:

Replies

• riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm still with you! :drinker: Last night finished stage 1, workout B week 5! EMTWL as well. Just finished week 5 of reset. At 2300 TDEE. Love eating again. So fun to try and move the heavy weights.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    just about still 39 here:) Doing B4 tonight. I had never lifted before (never been been in a gym before - eeek!) but am really loving it
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm 43 and I'm on my fourth week of stage 1. I'm feeling great. I upped my calories and have not been on the scale since I started.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Rioux - nice to see you! :)

180 - is that an older photo? There is no way you look 43!!!!!!!! Good for you for not obsessing with the scale. Have to admit I still weigh a few times a week.

mrsAgi - good for you for never being in a gym before but doing NROL!!! Is B4 the sets of twelve...? I think you're one week ahead of me...

curlygirl - where are you? :)

AFM, was at gym this morning. Was a little concerned because I had injured myself a little on Wednesday (seemed like a 'tear' or inflammation in the lat/bicep....) so I modified the regular lifting but it actually felt ok!

I've got a girls weekend coming up so am going to miss my regular Sunday morning bootcamp class...I'm going to try to workout at the spa gym just to feel like I've done *something*!!!
  • MrsAgi
    Options
    B4 is the last workout with 2 set of 12.

I started with ridiculously low weights as I just didn't know anything! Just about getting up to proper weight lifting now I think.

~Not sure I'm going to make it tonight now, been an awful day in lots of ways, and still got to sort all the kids out before I can even think about geting me ready. I know it will make me feel good if I do it, but not sure my body is actually up to the strain today. and its raining:sad: might have a`lazy night in and try to get to the gym tomorrow pm instead......
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    MrsAgi - you're one week ahead of me then. I"ve been doing 3 sets of each because I wasn't completely new to lifting, just new to lifting "heavy"...so next week I begin A4.

I find the workout is too fast though, so I often spend some time doing extra bicep curls, tricps, squats, etc. I run for 10 minutes, lift the routine (20 minutes), lift some more (20 minutes) and then run or spin for 20 minutes. Total of about 70 minutes.

How long are you at the gym? Did you make it there tonight? Sorry you were havng an awful day! (And yes it's raining here in Ontario, Canada too:)
  • mbz0616
    mbz0616 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and just finished Stage 1 workout 7. It's fun to see how much I can lift. I was worried that my knees would get worse from lifting but they seem to have improved. Goal is to be able to squat my body weight - 50 pounds to go.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm 41 and on workout 5B of stage 1. Very motivated- because I have a minute between sets to look at the people around me! and on average the women lifting look awesome!!! That is going to be US ladies!!!:flowerforyou:
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Yes, I think that the women lifting heavy around me look awesome! Strong is the new skinny, right???

mbz - great job at 59!!!!

heather loves - we are almost at the exact same point...have you lifted before?
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    How are you ladies doing on your protein intake? I usually make my goal of about 130g (or almost make it) although this weekend was a girls getaway so definitely wasn't on a terrific eating program....however, totally back on track tomorrow - who knew I'd miss my protein shakes and cottage cheese so much? LOL
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

heather loves - we are almost at the exact same point...have you lifted before?

No I haven't, but it's fun! Do you want to be friends? I have a hard time with the protein. Previously it was only about 10-15 % of my calories, but I have upped it to 25-30%, although I almost never actually get 30. I try for at least 100g. What kind of protein shakes do you like? I went out and bought a huge container or muscle milk based on good reviews, mixed it with milk, ice, and banana and still could not force it down! It was so nasty (and expensive) that I'm kind of scared to try another brand! :D
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and just finished stage 1.

Heather, I just use the cheap stuff from Walmart. It's Body Fortress vanilla, and it's way better than the other one that was more expensive that I bought from there (I think it was Six Star or something like that). I'm a simple kind of girl, though. I freeze whole strawberries, throw 'em in the blender with some skim milk and a scoop of powder and VOILA ! It's a strawberry shake.
  • MrsAgi
    Options
    I didn't make it on Friday night, but went Sat afternoon instead - much quieter in the gym then, wondering if I can fit that in more often......

First day of three reps tonight *gulp*

Heather - I also found my protein powder to be absolutely vile and unconsumable with water, milk or even hot chocolate! Couldn't force it down without gagging! I made it into flapjack/protein fudge etc, which is much more palatable:)
  • curlygirly80
    Options

curlygirl - where are you? :)

I feel loved!! Sorry I didn't think I was allowed to post in your group cause of the age thing! So yes, I have been a lurker!! I shall be here from now on. WOOT, WOOT!
  • curlygirly80
    Options

Heather - I also found my protein powder to be absolutely vile and unconsumable with water, milk or even hot chocolate! Couldn't force it down without gagging! I made it into flapjack/protein fudge etc, which is much more palatable:)

I purchased mine at Target and I must say its delicious It's made by EAS 100% Whey Protein. It's 150 calories, 26 grams of protein and 2g of sugar. I only paid 18 bucks for it. I was pretty impressed as was my husband who pays 50 bucks for his stuff at GNC. He now drinks my stuff. The author of NROL4W also says that EAS products are one of the better products.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and just finished Stage 1 workout 7. It's fun to see how much I can lift. I was worried that my knees would get worse from lifting but they seem to have improved. Goal is to be able to squat my body weight - 50 pounds to go.
    Wow!!! I'm 53 and did 70 on squat (Stage 1 A#5 and it is killing my lower back. :frown: I don't know if it's the squats or the deadlifts but waking up with a very still lower back. Thinking about quitting the program and going back to Supreme 90 day. Has great results with it.

Good luck on squatting your body weight. I weigh 150 and having trouble doing half my body weight. Want to continue but for some reason I think the deadlifts and squats are contributing to my extreme stiff lower back no matter how much warmup or stretching I do. Any suggestions would be great.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Wow!!! I'm 53 and did 70 on squat (Stage 1 A#5 and it is killing my lower back. :frown: I don't know if it's the squats or the deadlifts but waking up with a very still lower back. Thinking about quitting the program and going back to Supreme 90 day. Has great results with it.

Good luck on squatting your body weight. I weigh 150 and having trouble doing half my body weight. Want to continue but for some reason I think the deadlifts and squats are contributing to my extreme stiff lower back no matter how much warmup or stretching I do. Any suggestions would be great.

So sorry to hear of the back pain...I"m only squatting 45 right now and I'm new to this whole lifting thing so I can't really chime in...I would reduce the weight quite a bit for squats and deadlifts for now and see if the pain eases up...but keep up the program with the other stuff if possible...:)
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    curlygirl!!! - nice to see ya! Dang, I wish we had a Target here in Canada (although we're getting them soon!!!) will have to try the EAS you and NROL recommends!

Heather - yeah, definitely "friend" me...I have upped my protein CONSIDERABLY and really hoping that helps with the muscle building.

As for the protein shakes, I LOVE them, drink them every day and look forward to them...which is why I can't believe some people are gagging them down...lol.

I use the Leanfit Costco brand - chocolate. I add one scoop, half a banana, Tbsp of cocoa (what's wrong with extra chocolate??) and a few ice cubes. IT SERIOUSLY is such a treat for me in the morning that it curbs my cravings for ice cream, etc. at other times of the day.

MrsAgi - sounds like you had the man cave all to yourself...? LOL I'm a 5:30am gym girl so there's very few around at that time...:tongue:

I went away with my girlfriends on a spa weekend and ate and drank too much, but nothing terrible. Still made wise choices. A big NSV for me!

Anyone out there have kid? - I have 3 who are 10, 7 and almost 3...
  • jamkat
    jamkat Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! I'm 44 and just finished Stage 1 on Sat. Starting Stage 2 tomorrow night.... so technically I'm still Stage 1 :laugh:

I love my protein shakes!! I get the Body Fortress brand at WM. I use the chocolate flavor, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 frozen banana, a squirt of Hershey's syrup, ground flax seed, 1 Tbsp peanut butter, and ice. Blended together it is soooo good and tastes like dessert! I admit that sometimes, that's what gets me to the gym - knowing I get to come home and have my shake. On weekends when I haven't had coffee before I head to the gym, I add cold coffee that I keep in the fridge.

CanGirl I didn't know Target wasn't in Canada. I can't imagine my world without a Target close by! I've got 2 kids, 16 yo son and 14 yo daughter. Both are doing the program with me on weekends since they usually have too much homework during the week to join me at the gym. Both kids are active and fit. Since my daughter started earlier with me and my son just started recently, she can out lift him right now. We have fun with that! :laugh: He's a good sport about it.

MBZ0616, my knees have also gotten much stronger on this program. I was worried about doing more damage to them. I've had a couple minor issues but I when I dropped the weight down and concentrated on form, I got much better.

All this talk about protein shakes, makes me want to have one now. :drinker:
  • mermegan
    Options
    Oh man, I'm 31 (almost 32) Can I join your group, pretty pretty please?? :) I'm two weeks into Stage 1 and really looking forward to doing 3 sets instead (is it bad if I skip to that?)

Since I just invited myself :wink: I have to say I LOVE Gaspari Myofusion Probiotic powder...most amazing taste (the chocolate milkshake is super yum) 150 calories, 24 grams protein.

Also, if you guys want another way to use the powder, you can make crepes:

Mix one scoop powder with 4 egg whites (Stevia is optional), then pour in a pan like you're making pancakes. I then add blueberries (or whatever fruit you wish) Once cooked, you can top with almond butter or whatever floats your boat. I like them with applesauce. Anyway, they're super filling and yummy!