Ladies 35+ in stage 1 of NROLFW? Please join me!

Options

Replies

• glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Back after five days off, so I started with workout 1A again.

Today, I feel it....my arms and legs are shaking, but that could be due to weakness from the horrible cold I've had for the last four days. Anyway, I'm back to the gym and ready to move forward again.
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I have opted to do cardio on my off days. I also did 10 minutes on the treadmill as a warm up for weights today. I feel better for it. Just did workout 1B for the first time and I loved it. Also, I spent a few extra minutes yesterday, after my elliptical workout on practicing the Prone Jackknife and I think I have it figured out. I feel like a bit of a nerd carrying my notebook around the gym, but I'll get over it. lol
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I found that after two weeks, I didn't need my notebook at the gym anymore....I just 'studied' the night before and planned ahead...

8 reps was great, but the workout goes soooo fast! For some reason, my pushups sucked today. Did 3 sets of 20...what are we supposed to be doing in pushups, week 7???
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    CanGirl - the pushups stay inline with the other exercises (except abs which go up in reps) -- so 3 sets of 8 reps. You did 20?!?!? You rock! I would suggest putting your feet on a step or using a basu ball -- something to make it harder.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Good idea kmsairam - I'll do 8 reps but make them harder...guess I didn't realize I could make a standard push up harder because it's a body weight exercise...:P
  • glwerth
    Options
    Second try at B1 done! Managed to do deadlifts without hurting myself! YAY ME!

My whole body was shaking by the end of the workout, but I finished.

Still at 75 pounds for deadlifts, but it will increase.

Oh, and I hate lunges. Hate. Them. My balance is not good and I keep "bobbling".
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    75 pound deadlifts? awesome!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    75 pound deadlifts?? I'm at the END of stage 1 doing 75! LOL
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Oh, and I hate lunges. Hate. Them. My balance is not good and I keep "bobbling".

Congrats! You are doing great. And I HATE lunges too -- with a passion!!!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Doing workout 4-B tonight....can't wait! I'm really looking forward to deadlifts. I am currently at 130 lbs so I don't think I'll increase the weight this workout though next workout I'm trying 140.

I have a question: Do you guys follow the warm up in the book - you know, the inch worms and side lunges and such - or are you doing your own warm up? If you're doing your own, what warm ups do you do (not including the warm up sets....which I always do)?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm 60, finished stage 1 4 wks ago but then went on a 2 wk vacation with no weights anywhere, then came home for 10 days and went away again for nearly a week. So it was 4.5 wks with no lifting.

When I finished I was squatting 80, deadlifting 110, 60 on step ups and lunges and 30 on shoulder presses.

I just repeated Stage 1 #7A Wed nite to get back into the swing of things before starting Stage 2. OMG! I'm so sore!!!

There's a daily chat thread in the group and I think you'll find chat threads for each of the stages as well. Lots of great women in each!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    MtnKat, I did do the warm-ups, as written, in NROL4W. I also usually did a couple runs around the track (and then headed into the NROL4W warm-up).
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Eek. I don't really do the warm-ups. I do a 10-minute run to warm-up my body and then go right into them. Well, except the lunges. I do one set of just body weight. No wonder it takes me only 25 minutes to do a session!
  • glwerth
    Options

Congrats! You are doing great. And I HATE lunges too -- with a passion!!!

Maybe we'll both get better at them or hate them less before long....because they really are awful.

It just doesn't seem to be a natural movement for me. Most of the other stuff feels fairly natural, but lunges don't. At. All.
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do the warm ups in the book, except for the reverse lunges as I'm not that co-ordinated lol.

Completed my first 3 set workout today A5 and really enjoyed it. I don't know why but have always been quite nervous with my squats and am never quite sure if I've got my form right. Today helped though as I had to use a different rack to the one I normally use. This rack had a mirror, so I could actually see my lifts. I always thought that squatting in front of mirror would put me off, but it's helped instead! I'm much happier now about knowing when my thighs are parallel and hopefully I'll be more confident about upping the weight!

My push ups still suck, but I'll drop down from 30 degrees with good form to on top of a step with 5 risers next time around. It may be messy lol.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am terrible about warming up my individual limbs. I do a few laps around the track to get my heart rate up but that is about it.

So the day after deadlifts I feel like I can barely walk but the day after my squats I am not sore at all. More weight?

jsextra-I know that although I don't like seeing the squishy-squashy belly I have in the mirror I do appreciate seeing my form. It really does help!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite 35+, I will turn 35 in February, just about the time I should be wrapping up NROLFW. I'm just getting set to start stage 3 today. :)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    MtnKat, I did do the warm-ups, as written, in NROL4W. I also usually did a couple runs around the track (and then headed into the NROL4W warm-up).

I do the same, only I do about 10 min on the stationary bike then the warmups recommended in the book.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Hey ebaymommy - when in February? My bday is the 10th...I guess like you I'd be wrapping up NROL around then...
  • glwerth
    Options
    75 pound deadlifts?? I'm at the END of stage 1 doing 75! LOL

I'm MUCH larger than you are though. At 300, I should be able to lift a lot.

I do hope to be saying under 300 very soon though, as I started at 350 and am down to 304.