Ladies 35+ in stage 1 of NROLFW? Please join me!

Options

Replies

• kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read, strength training burns fat. Cardio is for heart/llung conditioning and endurance. Granted, my entire life, I was taught to do cardio cardio cardio and I never felt I was doing any sort of real exercise unless my herat rate was sky high and I was sweating buckets. This program and my new way of approaching weight loss is showing me differently. I have continued to lose weight after starting tihs program -- 2 lbs/week -- which is a higher rate than the two months before I started. I am not doing any cardio now though and that is bothering me. I would like to do HIIT regularly and a long run/swimming/or biking. I've just been lazy because the 3 days/week of new rules is working really well for me. (*knock on wood*)

MtnKat - I have a lot to lose too, however, I believe the strength training will help me maintain muscle as I shed fat. I don't think it's ever too early to start strength training.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree -- there is nothing like a good sweaty cardio session although as you say kmsairam, supposedly not necessarily part of the "rules" and "necessary " for fat loss.

How do you guys have your mfp set up??? I have my TDEE with a 15% cut (1700) but I add my exercise calories back into the equation on those days (3 days/week)

I would like to try eating fewer carbs (wheat) and see how that impacts my body....

MtnKat - 105 on first time deadlifts??? I'm only on 65 pounds!!! Good job!!!
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    Hello from Portland! Haven't been able to track well here but I've been getting exercise in so it's all good. I do cardio because it makes me feel good--those endorphins at work! I've cut down the amount of time I spend on it and my weight loss hasn't suffered. Do it if you love it, but it's not necessary if you create a deficit in your diet. For me, when I do too much cardio I want to eat a ton and it's counterproductive. I do TDEE with a 20% cut (1700) and I don't eat back calories. However, I usually eat between 1700-2000 and am losing .5 a week. I don't have a lot to lose. Fat2fit radio has me at 1700 and scooby has a much higher number so I eat between the two and its working. Getting a lot of protein helps!
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    FYI: I do 1-2 days bootcamp (60 minutes hills/stairs/etc) and 2 days 20 minute step mill/bike/treadmill after lifting.
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hey mermegan,

I was training for a half in Jan of last year, and tore my psoas so was unable to continue running. I have been having trouble with my foot however, and I noticed that sometimes even when it didn't hurt, I was sort of letting my foot bow outward when standing on it. I had a structural integrationist look at it, and she said it was actually because of a tight IT band. So I started rolling it at night with a foam roller and I can actually tell a big difference! May not be the same injury for you, but rolling out your IT band certainly couldn't hurt ( if you don't already that is).

kmsairam, more cardio is coming up shortly in the next few stages in the form of intervals as well as the lovely body weight matrix. So don't worry about that!

I just started stage 7 today. It kicked my Bootay for sure.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Stage 7??? I didn't even know there was a stage 7? LOL

mermegan - What are your stats? I am 5'7" and probably 19% body fat. 128 lbs. I've always felt at my best at 124 but that was when I was on a LCD (which was not sustainable...)and had almost no muscle mass....my problem area is my waist/tummy....EM2WL and NROL is my only hope for "shaping" my body differently...So I guess I don't really have that much to lose...ideally a few pounds but the scale only seems to be going up since starting this process in early August...trying to stick to the program and not lose faith...

Today was our Canadian Thanksgiving - had a yummy turkey dinner! Gobble. Gobble.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Did Stage 1 Workout A 1 today.

I'm a very fat woman, so the fact that I was even in the weights section of the gym was a small victory. Especially since there was one of those 'serious lifter' men there, leaping up and down off the benches and slamming the weights about.

Got the hang of squats with the giant, long bar by going down in weight a bit from my practice session. Helped a lot in balance and not feeling like I was going to fall flat on my face.

Pushups: not pretty at all, but I soldiered on and did them. Hoping I'll get better at that.

Gave up on the prone jackknife and did crunches instead. I'll try to master this one at home as I don't think half an hour of falling off a balance ball is really all that productive.

What I had been doing before was taking 40 minutes, this took 30 at most, which was nice, but made me feel like I was cheating.

Then I got home and discovered that my arms feel like Jello and my thighs hurt. I will probably have to try increasing a bit on some of the weights....not sure how to figure that out.

As a guide, I was sweating a lot and my heart rate was definitely up through almost all of the workout, so I guess it was good.

Workout B tomorrow. Wish me luck. I think I'll need it, since I'm never sure I'm doing any of this right.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Gave up on the prone jackknife and did crunches instead. I'll try to master this one at home as I don't think half an hour of falling off a balance ball is really all that productive.

me doing the prone jackknife was probably highly entertaining if anyone was watching. I know I looked like a bear trying to balance on a ball for as much flopping around as I was doing. ;0) I could not decide if I should scrap 'em or just keep on keeping on. :)

I did stage 1, workout A1 yesterday. I am 37, almost 38, 5'6" and 195(that is down 24 since the beginning of Jan).

I have been doing Body Pump classes 2-3 times a week since the beginning of the year so I thought this would be easy peasy. but not so much. It was tougher than I thought. I am not too sore this morning, probably need to up my weights though. Just excited to get going on this program and get more comfortable with lifting etc.

what are DOM's?
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options

What I had been doing before was taking 40 minutes, this took 30 at most, which was nice, but made me feel like I was cheating.

Then I got home and discovered that my arms feel like Jello and my thighs hurt. I will probably have to try increasing a bit on some of the weights....not sure how to figure that out.

As a guide, I was sweating a lot and my heart rate was definitely up through almost all of the workout, so I guess it was good.

Workout B tomorrow. Wish me luck. I think I'll need it, since I'm never sure I'm doing any of this right.

Hi glwerth. If you can feel the areas you've worked when you get home, then you're doing something right :) You should be finishing the 2nd set of reps with some difficulty. If you're not, then you need to up the weight. If you are, then keep at that weight until you feel able to you do both sets with good form before increasing the weight.

If you're not sure, you can always up the weight for the 1st set and drop it for the 2nd if it's too much. It's better to stay at the same weight and get good form rather than upping the weight and using bad form. This is a 6 month program which will only get more difficult as the workouts progress, I know I'm in no rush to start doing extra workouts!

You're not going to have a day rest before your next workout to allow your muscles to recover?
    I have been doing Body Pump classes 2-3 times a week since the beginning of the year so I thought this would be easy peasy. but not so much. It was tougher than I thought. I am not too sore this morning, probably need to up my weights though. Just excited to get going on this program and get more comfortable with lifting etc.

what are DOM's?

Welcome aboard! DOMS is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Some get it really bad initially (like me who'd never lifted weights before) and others don't seem to suffer with it. You'll find out tomorrow no doubt if you do suffer :wink:
  • glwerth
    Options

Hi glwerth. If you can feel the areas you've worked when you get home, then you're doing something right :) You should be finishing the 2nd set of reps with some difficulty. If you're not, then you need to up the weight. If you are, then keep at that weight until you feel able to you do both sets with good form before increasing the weight.

If you're not sure, you can always up the weight for the 1st set and drop it for the 2nd if it's too much. It's better to stay at the same weight and get good form rather than upping the weight and using bad form. This is a 6 month program which will only get more difficult as the workouts progress, I know I'm in no rush to start doing extra workouts!

You're not going to have a day rest before your next workout to allow your muscles to recover?

No, rest day is tomorrow....Thursday is the next workout day! Actually, tomorrow is no workout at all day. I get two per week, Wednesday and Saturday. :)

Muscles aren't really sore today, just feel like I worked hard, you know, when you just feel limp?
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

I'm a very fat woman, so the fact that I was even in the weights section of the gym was a small victory. Especially since there was one of those 'serious lifter' men there, leaping up and down off the benches and slamming the weights about.

Got the hang of squats with the giant, long bar by going down in weight a bit from my practice session. Helped a lot in balance and not feeling like I was going to fall flat on my face.

Pushups: not pretty at all, but I soldiered on and did them. Hoping I'll get better at that.

Good work! Proud of you! You'll do great tomorrow!
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and just finished Stage 1 workout 7. It's fun to see how much I can lift. I was worried that my knees would get worse from lifting but they seem to have improved. Goal is to be able to squat my body weight - 50 pounds to go.
    Wow!!! I'm 53 and did 70 on squat (Stage 1 A#5 and it is killing my lower back. :frown: I don't know if it's the squats or the deadlifts but waking up with a very still lower back. Thinking about quitting the program and going back to Supreme 90 day. Has great results with it.

Good luck on squatting your body weight. I weigh 150 and having trouble doing half my body weight. Want to continue but for some reason I think the deadlifts and squats are contributing to my extreme stiff lower back no matter how much warmup or stretching I do. Any suggestions would be great.

I would say it's from the deadlifts, I had/have pain in the lower back whenever my form is off a bit. Thats how I know if i'm doing it wrong :laugh:

My words of advice on doing them, make sure your toes are under the bar (not the bar against the shins, which I think is what the book says), keep your chest up a little and think of pressing your shoulder blades together and down so that your upper back does the pulling not your abs/lower back.
  • kmsairam
    Options
    gadenni - you had me rolling on the floor with your description of the evil prone jackknives from hell (official term by the way). I actually had to read your post to my husband because it just tickled my funny bone. Perhaps because I have BEEN THERE. I wonder if people are looking at me like "WHAT is she doing?!?!" And sometimes on the last few reps, I just fall off the ball. They're so hard!!!! :)

OK, it's official: I love deadlifts! I feel so powerful when I do them. I went up to 85 on my last set today. I know I can lift more, but 85 had me huffing and sweaty. Only ONE more Stage 1 B workout left!!

Cardio - I want to start working in more cardio. Today I did 12 minutes on the spin bike after lifting (HIIT). I am only limited at this point by time. I actually got up 15 minute earlier today but was still pressed for time because my husband moved the car keys ($@#$!!). I set everything out the night before, so I wasted 10 minutes looking for keys. Grrr.

I'm doing a 1/2 marathon in March and want to start unofficially training now (offiically in December), so I to figure out a schedule that I know I'll stick with. I think come December I will move to 2 days/week lifting so that I can focus on the running. Kinda makes me sad, but I should at least have Phases 2 and 3 completed by then.

Have a great day ladies!
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I thought I'd poke my head into the weight room here and say hi!
    I just officially started New Rules stage one last night. Previous to that, I'd been using machine weights and doing pushups pretty consistently for about 6 weeks now. Feels great!

Last night I did it wrong. I hate when I do it wrong.
    Is there anything wrong with doing the workouts out of order? That is, I did the step ups at the gym (whew, did them last week too), then walked around looking for the rower and the squat rack--both full. So, becuase I had only planned to stop at the gym for something else (paperworky stuff), I needed to get home and do my workout. I did the rest of the workout after dinner and used improvised buckets of stuff for my seated row and dumbbell.

My plan for Thursday is to do it right! And, as a bonus, I'll have a trainer to show me the squat rack form.
  • glwerth
    Options
    Did Workout 1B for the first time today.

Deadlifted bar plus 30, so that means 75 lb., right? The owner of the gym says it is a standard bar. So, that's not a bad start.

Right now, I've got what feels like sciatic nerve pain on my right side. I think I was pulling more to that side on my first couple of lifts. Corrected my form and finished the two sets, though I had to stop for a second or two in between sometimes.

Took some ibuprofin and icing the painful area.

Next lifting day isn't until Sunday, so I should be fine by then.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    glworth - great start. Good that you corrected your form!

girlykate - just started using squat rack last week. So much easier now:) Got up to 75lbs for squats and felt great!

I'm on 6B tomorrow - glad I only have 4 more stage 1 workouts - ready to change it up!!!
  • kmsairam
    Options
    CanGirl - are you doing the AMRAPs? I'm on workout 8A tomorrow, which means Monday, I could be done with Stage 1 (!!!!!!!!!). I think I'm going to skip AMRAPs, take the rest of the week off from lifting, and start Stage 2 the following Monday. Woooo!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    kmsairim - I can't wait to get to the AMRAP because I want to see how "easy" it now feels...lol. Nope I got 2 more weeks on stage 1 but go to 8 reps on Wednesday! Today I upped my deadlifts to 75 lbs. Lunges are at 20lbs but they felt a lot easier today. Yay!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    kmsairam - I did 8A today too, so should be finished stage 1 on Monday.....

I'm not doing the AMRAPS because TBH, I started at body weight for everything which was ridiculously low and AMRAPS wouldn't tell me anything - I could do dozens and dozens I expect - but I could've done a lot more than 15 on 1A, I just didn't have any idea where else to start!

I'm going straight onto Stage 2, because I have a week to try the moves out, then have to take a week off as I'm going up to my mum's. So wil probably treat next week as a "practise week", then start stage 2 properly at the beginning of November:)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    MrsAgi! Are you finished with stage 1?!

I just finished stage 1! Not doing AMRAPS because my warmup weight is now what used to be my starting weight!

So results:
    Squat 45- 70 lbs
    Push up - 45 degrees to floor
    Seated row: 45- 80
    Step ups BW on step to 30 lbs on bench
    Prone jackknife 24-45

Deadlifts 20-65 (and fear mostly overcome, thank you all!)
    Shoulder press 10-15 ( did 6 reps with 20)
    Lat pulldown 40-80
    Lunge BW-40
    Ball crunch 0-10

Weight: lost 3.5 lbs or average 0.5 per week. Excited for stage 2!