Ladies 35+ in stage 1 of NROLFW? Please join me!

Options

Replies

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    75 pound deadlifts?? I'm at the END of stage 1 doing 75! LOL

I'm MUCH larger than you are though. At 300, I should be able to lift a lot.

I do hope to be saying under 300 very soon though, as I started at 350 and am down to 304.

Woo hoo! I look forward to your post about getting under 300!!!

Went to my trainer session this morning and he pushes me so hard. My mom actually saw me after my workout today (I was wearing a tank top) and she said, "Wow, you've got muscles!" She seemed genuinely surprised since I'm not normally muscular...:) It must be working!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    75 pound deadlifts?? I'm at the END of stage 1 doing 75! LOL

I'm MUCH larger than you are though. At 300, I should be able to lift a lot.

I do hope to be saying under 300 very soon though, as I started at 350 and am down to 304.

Woo hoo! I look forward to your post about getting under 300!!!

Went to my trainer session this morning and he pushes me so hard. My mom actually saw me after my workout today (I was wearing a tank top) and she said, "Wow, you've got muscles!" She seemed genuinely surprised since I'm not normally muscular...:) It must be working!

I know what you mean about the muscles. I've got actual, defined muscle in my arms and shoulders (and legs, but I've always had a lot there). I'm amazed by it. Never thought I'd get that.

Now, time to stop stalling and get my butt to the gym. :)
  • glwerth
    Options
    A2 down.

Squatted 75 today. Had to pause for a few seconds (count to five) at about ten, but I finished all of them.

Just cardio tomorrow, then on to B2 on Wednesday.

I know it's silly, since I just started, but I feel stronger.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your workouts ladies and keep up the great work. I seriously felt stronger after just a few workouts of stage 1. It was awesome! So I started stage 2 today and was pouring sweat by the end. After a week off, it felt good to be back at the gym!

CanGirl - congrats on those guns!!
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    A2 down.

Squatted 75 today. Had to pause for a few seconds (count to five) at about ten, but I finished all of them.

Just cardio tomorrow, then on to B2 on Wednesday.

I know it's silly, since I just started, but I feel stronger.

Not silly at all. I've only down A and B twice each, and I feel stronger too. It is amazing me how quickly my muscles are reacting. I am only deadlifting 60 and squatting 50 at this time, but will slowly build up. I really need to invest in some gloves today. Cardio for me tomorrow too.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Well I am one workout away from finishing the 1A, 40 yrs old, and ready to get my body in shape and work it!! I am finding though the first few weeks, I was mildly but not really sore, so time to step it up.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Workout 5A for me today. I'm really excited!

My how time flies by so fast! I feel a lot stronger too and am seeing some muscle definition in my arms (I already have it in my legs - mostly from genetics but some of it from running lol).

I'm starting to wonder when I am going to be forced to go to a gym or buy more equipment to complete the work out. I'm going to try to hang on to home working out as long as I can. There's just something to be said about lifting in your bare feet lol :-) Do you guys wear shoes or lift bare footed?
  • glwerth
    Options
    B2 down.

Still hate lunges.

So, how often do you guys up the weight and by how much at a time?
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting NROLFW today! Not new to lifting, but new to sticking with any one program. Would love some help along the way. I am 48, and will be lifting with free weights only as getting to the gym isn't very feasible for me. Feel free to add me, may need some help along the way. I'm also doing the EM2WL program, just getting near the end of reset. Happy lifting everyone!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Welcome 2abnorth!!! Just finished workout 8A so almost on to stage 2...

glwerth - I didn't start really going up until a few weeks...when I introduced myself to the squat rack finally. That made a huge difference. But you're already squatting a big number so go at it slowly. Maybe every couple of weeks by a bit. And definitely when you decrease to fewer reps...

mtnkat - definitely wear shoes (but then again I"m at a gym...) don't understand the logic behind those weird 'barefoot' runners...lol
  • glwerth
    Options
    A3 today.

Going down to 12 made it seem way shorter. Need to increase weights soon.

Was all paranoid that I wasn't sweaty enough, since I've been drenched in previous days.

Well, the temperature here has fallen (it was 70 at 5 am on Tuesday, today it is 28) and the inside gym temp is 64 instead of 70-74. So, either I'm not working hard enough and need to kick my own butt or the temperature difference was it.

But, in any case, I did it and my arms and thighs ache, but it is all getting easier.

I think that A is easier than B, but that probably has more to do with lunges than anythng else.

Also, I'm not a barefoot person either! I don't get barefoot running or exercise at all....I wear shoes almost all the time.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    B2 down.

Still hate lunges.

So, how often do you guys up the weight and by how much at a time?

I haven't really done any complete Stage 1 lifts for about a month now, so I don't know what I'm lifting. And I'm starting at the gym this weekend on Stage 2.

My process for adding was try it, if it was too much, drop down as small amount as possible and see if I could do it. I tried heavier weights for nearly every exercise for nearly every session. Sometimes it was fine others not, but it depends on the exercise. My shoulders are my weakest area - I brke a collar bone several years ago and never regained the strength. I also have read in several places that shoulders are the area for women to gain strength. I have to agree iwth that.

That said, I could bump up deadlfts nearly every session. I started with 50 and finished at 110.

It doesn't hurt to try. You'll know if it's too heavy.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Sue - 110 deadlifts! HOly crap! Awesome! I'm doing last Stage 1 workout soon and I'm only at 75...but I have chicken legs...lol

So I was supposed to finish Stage 1 yesterday but ended up sick and still under the weather today...so I won't have the chance to finish Stage 1 until probably Monday...

Ready to move on to the next phase!!! BRING IT!
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ok I am 54 and ready to start stage 1 workout A tomorrow and am so pumped!....I am going to start at home even though I belong to a gym. I need to workup my confidence to use the equipment there with all those boys standing in front of the dumbells and barbell racks.

I can't wait
  • Be_EmbracE
    Be_EmbracE Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I m 43yo in few days time. :) i m chinese, asian from
    Singapore. I m very keen in try this programme.. I would love to enroll n check NROLFW. How do I go about anyone? Thanks. ;)
  • glwerth
    Options
    Ok I am 54 and ready to start stage 1 workout A tomorrow and am so pumped!....I am going to start at home even though I belong to a gym. I need to workup my confidence to use the equipment there with all those boys standing in front of the dumbells and barbell racks.

I can't wait

Just wait....knowing that you can do it makes you more confident! You'll be awesome!
  • glwerth
    Options
    B3. Deadlifts up to 80. I could probably have gone higher, but I'll wait until B4 for that, going up to 85.

I'm afraid to add too much at once, since I hurt myself on the first day.

So, A4 tomorrow. It seems that I'm getting through workout 1 too fast....and 2 looks scary to me. Then again, 1 looked scary at first too!
  • lmlmrn
    Options
    Ok have a question for those of you doing at home....Today was day one -- so yeah I see where I can increase weights on some/ increase height on step up or increase weight but here is my problem....I started a 40lb for squats and it was really to easy but the hard part was getting the bar bell on my shoulders with no rack.....
    since I need to up the weight how am I going to get it up there???....put it up on a counter top and back up to it? suggestions??
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Nancy - I have NO idea how you'd do the squats without a rack...looks like you'll be heading to the man cave soon...for comfort, can you pay for one training session (or maybe your gym offers one free session) where a trainer can show you how to use the rack, etc? Also, it might be helpful for you to go really early in the morning...I go at 5:30 am and I almost have the place to myself!

Glwerth - yes, don't add too much too fast. I managed through Stage 1 with no injury...however, I was at my trainer session yesterday and I seem to have pulled my left hamstring a bit (old injury)....he had us doing REVERSE LUNGES walking backwards. NOw there's a workout! LOL

Em_brace - The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a book. I ordered mine from Amazon! I'm only just finishing Stage 1 but I like it so far. I like that it challenges me every week and gives me a 'program' to follow...

Hope everyone is doing ok...was sick last week so missed a workout...will be doing the last B workout on Wednesday morning!
  • lmlmrn
    Options
    Thanks cangirl40, I went back to the book and I think I am going to just get a few more heavy plates for my dumbbelss and use them instead of the bar bell. At least until I can get past 60lbs or so then will break down at the gym. I know the 40lbs I did today was way to light for my legs