Bodyfat estimation thread

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Few More showing my arm flexed. I hope this thread is still checked and will be very grateful if someone can give me an idea.
    Please note my legs look skinny because I was half bending to get the pic in the mirror/

20130515_164005_zps47e4dd15.jpg

20130515_163539_zps2c439065.jpg

Edited to add - measurements are 33, 25.5, 35.5.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi!

We will respond shortly. We like to chat so that we are on the same page before giving an estimate.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Hi!

We will respond shortly. We like to chat so that we are on the same page before giving an estimate.

Ok, thanks, no rush, just wanted to make sure the topic was still checked in on :)
    Sorry for so many pics, first time I have bothered to take any since starting weights, to be honest.
    I would also ask whether a bulk and cut would be in order, as I seem to look skinny even though I have gained 14Ibs the last year and have been eating over 2k calories a day.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This is so embarrassing. I was about to post some pics (same height and weight at Graelwyn), but can't now. You look great, Graelwyn! And I've got a long way to go :o
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    This is so embarrassing. I was about to post some pics (same height and weight at Graelwyn), but can't now. You look great, Graelwyn! And I've got a long way to go :o

Oy, no being embarrassed. I am sure you look fine. I think most people tend to see themselves different to how others might, I do not tend to think I look all that great, and consider myself to still have work to do. We are our own worst critics sometimes.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    My thighs/legs. Hopefully that is enough of me shown now. Sorry I cannot get a back shot, I don't think.
    Omg, I did not realise how muscular they had become. Not very becoming, to my eye anyway.

20130516_203334_zpsc4c9b1d1.jpg

20130516_203244_zps9a8bc1f6.jpg
  • PriceK01
    Options
    *gulp* ok, here goes:

5'10" and 133lbs this morning (was 131 when I began SS several weeks ago). Oh, 45 years old, if that matters. These are not flexed, the day after lifting.

Moderator note: pics removed at posted request.
  • PriceK01
    Options
    I think we've confused them, Graelwyn, by being the same height and weight with two very obviously differing BF% ;)
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I think we've confused them, Graelwyn, by being the same height and weight with two very obviously differing BF% ;)

Nah, I weigh more than you anyway, I am around 138, maybe a bit more.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It takes us a couple of days to sync up with these sometimes. Please bear with us.
  • PriceK01
    Options
    No worries, Sara!!

I'll just keep standing, patiently, half naked, trying to pretend no one's looking ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    No worries, Sara!!

I'll just keep standing, patiently, half naked, trying to pretend no one's looking ;)

:laugh:
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    No worries, Sara!!

-Giggles- nice one.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Graelwyn75

Hi!

So, a couple of things to note:

- can you check your scale for accuracy. Based on how thin you are we are not seeing how you can weigh as much as 138lb, even at 5 10".

- that being said, we think that your Tanita is probably not far off. You mention that you think it is an underestimate 'sadly'. To be honest, it would be better if it was and underestimate as a 12% BF% is very very low and not something that should be strived for by women (competative body builders get that low - but they do not stay that low year round as it is not healthy). Essantial body fat for women is 10 - 13%.

- you absolutely should not be cutting any more and should bulk. Increasing LBM will enable you to get a higher BF% while still looking lean. We would recommend eaiting at a caloric surplus and doing a good progressive loading strength training routine.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Graelwyn75

Hi!

So, a couple of things to note:

- can you check your scale for accuracy. Based on how thin you are we are not seeing how you can weigh as much as 138lb, even at 5 10".

- that being said, we think that your Tanita is probably not far off. You mention that you think it is an underestimate 'sadly'. To be honest, it would be better if it was and underestimate as a 12% BF% is very very low and not something that should be strived for by women (competative body builders get that low - but they do not stay that low year round as it is not healthy). Essantial body fat for women is 10 - 13%.

- you absolutely should not be cutting any more and should bulk. Increasing LBM will enable you to get a higher BF% while still looking lean. We would recommend eaiting at a caloric surplus and doing a good progressive loading strength training routine.

I am definitely 138-140, sara. Checked on my own digital scale, on the gym balance beam scales(63 kg the trainer said) and also on a pharmacy scale. The trainer checked my weight the same day I posted the first photos. He did seem surprised at what the bodystat machine made my bodyfat. The machine said I should be aiming to get to 70kg, given my current stats, but the most I have ever weighed in my life is 150Ibs and that was with undiagnosed hypothyroidism.

I was 14 - 16Ibs less last year,at 123 - 126 and was very bony, so I have in fact put on a fair amount of weight compared to how I was. I basically binged my way up to 140 originally, after a bad experience, and started weight training since I figured I had gained the weight anyway so may as well start working on my muscles. Check out my profile photos, you can there find two of me this time last year for comparison.

I have been eating at a surplus, often over my goal by 1500 calories, intaking anything up to 3500 calories a day the last week or two. I do, however, do an hour of cardio most days as well as my strength 2-3 x per week. So I am not sure how my bodyfat has gotten to this. I started off lifting heavy but then shifted to working with 6-10 kg dumbbells and 12-15 rep range as well as doing a boxfit class.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^^could you open your diary so I can help with your intake levels. If you are not comfortable doing that, then you can lock with a password and send me the password so it is not available to everyone. Trust me in that you will get no judgement about what you eat, I just want to help get your intake such that you can get to a higher BF% while still being comfortable with the way you look.

Do you do cardio for a specific reason? Unless you are training for a specific event, I would suggest dropping the cardio.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Diary is open.
    I do the cardio for my lungs, because they are impaired, for stress release and enjoyment and to just generally keep my mood up and active as beyond that, I tend to sit down a lot. Usually it would be mainly cycling but because we have had such a bad year here in the Uk, weather wise, I have done a lot more at the gym.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot the most important words of all - thanks for taking the time to do this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot the most important words of all - thanks for taking the time to do this.

You are very welcome. I will follow up via PM regarding the discussions we have had off-thread.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for taking the time to do this.

I'm 5'3 and 140 pounds

image-22.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-10.jpg
This discussion has been closed.