Bodyfat estimation thread

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for taking the time to do this.

I'm 5'3 and 140 pounds

image-22.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-10.jpg

Hi! Could you provide pics as specified in the OP please. Thanks.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Sorry, will add a side pic and hands by side pic tomorrow...that is what is missing, right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry, will add a side pic and hands by side pic tomorrow...that is what is missing, right?

Can you add one where you are flexing your arms so we can see how much muscle mass you have. Thanks
  • catrinaHwechanged
    Options

Can you add one where you are flexing your arms so we can see how much muscle mass you have. Thanks
    l

Will do. Thanks
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So here it goes :-) Can you please give me an estimate of body fat?
    I'm 50 years old, just shy of 5'6" and weigh about 114-115 lbs-- have been maintaining for about 3 months. Lost about 39 lbs.
    I had a csection 21 years ago. Sorry about the underwear shots but I don't own a bikini.
    Scale reports avg body fat aroud 22-23%. I had calipers done several months ago which said 24% (but it was by a first time user).
    Also interestingly, you may note that my back shot appears to show a touch of scolosis-- runs in my family (my daughter almost had surgery) but I was never diagnosed-- hips sure looks a bit uneven especially from the back!
    Thank you!
    IMG-20130509-00439_zps091a8807.jpg

IMG-20130509-004432_zpsb795a0b4.jpg

IMG-20130509-004414_zpscaab948a.jpg

IMG-20130509-00432_zps334ee697.jpg

IMG-20130509-004282_zps7036d8a1.jpg

IMG-20130509-00440_zps84a189ba.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    PriceK01

Sorry for the delay.

We would put you at about 17 - 18%.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    CatrinaH

We have you at the 23% mark, give of take a % point.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you, Sara & SS! I very much appreciate you both taking the time to do these. It goes a huge way into helping me figure out what I'm doing with all of this!

That's lower than I thought. Using heybales' spreadsheet, my average between the USNC and CB methods is 22. Your 17 -18 was my initial goal, but I still feel like I have a bit too much fat around the middle and thighs. Hopefully that gets better when I finish this first round of Starting Strength :)
  • catrinaHwechanged
    Options
    CatrinaH

We have you at the 23% mark, give of take a % point.

Thanks for taking your time to do that! It's a little lower than what I though, but very close!! :)
  • jujunnaichi
    jujunnaichi Posts: 86
    Options
    Tagging for later reading and participation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm 50 years old, just shy of 5'6" and weigh about 114-115 lbs-- have been maintaining for about 3 months. Lost about 39 lbs.
    I had a csection 21 years ago. Sorry about the underwear shots but I don't own a bikini.
    Scale reports avg body fat aroud 22-23%. I had calipers done several months ago which said 24% (but it was by a first time user).
    Also interestingly, you may note that my back shot appears to show a touch of scolosis-- runs in my family (my daughter almost had surgery) but I was never diagnosed-- hips sure looks a bit uneven especially from the back!
    Thank you!

Hi! and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This goes to show how horribly inaccurate the scales often are and also calipers can be. You are at least 6% lower than those readings.
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sarah, thnk you so much. That's great! Yes I wondered always about that impedance scale. I have a college age daughter who runs big college track and she's in GREAT shape, and she had her BF tested last year at school with one of those bod pod things, and hers was 13%. She came home about 4months later and that scale was showing low 20's --- she even said she'd gained a few pounds but not that much and the scale was way off. At that time it was showing mid 30's for me. This all makes better sense. i i was trying to lower my BF as my new goal!! No wonder it was hard to get it to budge anymore! Thanks thanks.
    Donna

Thank you!

Hi! and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This goes to show how horribly inaccurate the scales often are and also calipers can be. You are at least 6% lower than those readings.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    ^^could you open your diary so I can help with your intake levels. If you are not comfortable doing that, then you can lock with a password and send me the password so it is not available to everyone. Trust me in that you will get no judgement about what you eat, I just want to help get your intake such that you can get to a higher BF% while still being comfortable with the way you look.

Do you do cardio for a specific reason? Unless you are training for a specific event, I would suggest dropping the cardio.

Still hoping for some insight into suggested intake levels still please :), if possible, when someone has the time, to rectify this situation without ending up too much heavier. Or suggestions on if there is any way I can do it that does not involve a bulk.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ^^could you open your diary so I can help with your intake levels. If you are not comfortable doing that, then you can lock with a password and send me the password so it is not available to everyone. Trust me in that you will get no judgement about what you eat, I just want to help get your intake such that you can get to a higher BF% while still being comfortable with the way you look.

Do you do cardio for a specific reason? Unless you are training for a specific event, I would suggest dropping the cardio.

Still hoping for some insight into suggested intake levels still please :), if possible, when someone has the time, to rectify this situation without ending up too much heavier. Or suggestions on if there is any way I can do it that does not involve a bulk.

Will respond to your PMs you this weekend. There is no real way that you can do this without being heavier though - but it really is not about the scale but being at a leanness you are comfortable but is still at a healthy level. I do not think you need to end up too much heavier however - you just need to add a bit to get to a healthier BF%.

The scale is kind of what it is. I have always weighed heavy - it used to bother me a bit (I used to lie on my DL!) but now I realize that it is just a tool to track progress (and even then a faulty one) and to make decisions, and that actually I like weighing heavier than I look - it means that I have a high LBM, which is something to be happy about.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Will respond to your PMs you this weekend. There is no real way that you can do this without being heavier though - but it really is not about the scale but being at a leanness you are comfortable but is still at a healthy level. I do not think you need to end up too much heavier however - you just need to add a bit to get to a healthier BF%.

The scale is kind of what it is. I have always weighed heavy - it used to bother me a bit (I used to lie on my DL!) but now I realize that it is just a tool to track progress (and even then a faulty one) and to make decisions, and that actually I like weighing heavier than I look - it means that I have a high LBM, which is something to be happy about.

Ok, thanks, and lol @ lying on your DL a while ago.
    I must admit, I am finding the muscularity of my legs pretty damn difficult to deal with right now, more so than the scale.
    Adding squats and running to my already intense biking seems to have totally changed them from last year.
    No idea I can do anything about that though, short of cutting down squats and running, and sticking more to my cycling.
    My legs just seem to be prone to building muscle, unless it is the change in protein in my diet that has done that.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara and SideSteel!

I was wondering if I can get an estimate on my BF%. I have an album of the pics requested that I will link here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fsripdkyqugikb4/ZFLaE7kmzb

However, if you need me to post them in the thread, I will be happy to!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hey Sara and SideSteel!

I was wondering if I can get an estimate on my BF%. I have an album of the pics requested that I will link here:

Hi! No need to post in the thread - these are good. SideSteel and I always double check body fat estimates with each other and as the *kitten* has abandoned me to go on vacation it may take a little while to get back to you, so please bear with us.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Hey Sara and SideSteel!

Hi! No need to post in the thread - these are good. SideSteel and I always double check body fat estimates with each other and as the *kitten* has abandoned me to go on vacation it may take a little while to get back to you, so please bear with us.

No problem! I knew you were on your own for a while :smile:
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara and SideSteel!

I was wondering if I can get an estimate on my BF%.

Junefront_zpsc061b51f.jpg
    Juneside_zps749084b9.jpg
    Junefrontflexed_zps1374c1f5.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi Sara and SideSteel!

I was wondering if I can get an estimate on my BF%.

Junefront_zpsc061b51f.jpg
    Juneside_zps749084b9.jpg
    Junefrontflexed_zps1374c1f5.jpg

Hi!

What is your height and weight?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.