Summer Weight Loss Challenge

Options

Replies

• SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Welcome ThaQueen!!! :) Wishing you much success here! Post as often as you would like. :)

Serene, when I shower after working out, I just wet my hair without washing it. I generally wash it once a week, and between washing, I will rinse my hair with water only. If you are trying to wear your natural hair straight after a workout, then you might want to pull your hair taut while you exercise and keep your length in a bun away from your scalp. Only release your hair from the bun when you have finished sweating/showering, and you are certain that moisture will not touch the ends of your hair. That is the best way that I can think of the extend the life of your blowout without adding more heat during the week. If you are not concerned about heat use, then perhaps doing what I said above, only adding a light blowdry.

I gave up trying to extend my blowouts. The only time I had a blowout last through humid weather and workouts was when my hair was heat damaged, but since I prefer to wear my hair curly and in a WNG/fro, I no longer heat style my hair.

Wearing my hair curly has made working out a breeze. I sweat like a mad woman no matter what I do, and I've probably wasted $1000's of dollars by sweating out hairstyles, but this just makes like so much easier. I'm no longer fighting to keep the curls straight, and I can sweat as much as I like without fear of my hair puffing up...it's already puffy! :)
    Thanks that helps loads.
    When I exercise I keep it in a bun away from my skin and because of breaking and heat damage I will only press it after I have washed it so once a week. My problem is as I sweat through the roots the front of my hair goes kinky but I guess that is something I will have to live with and gel down.

Think I may have to start wearing a wig to work, I swear they must think I don't own a mirror sometimes hahaha
  • Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options
    Sally's has sweat bands that fit pretty snug to the head and they're nice and wide. If you used something like that on your hair line, it will wick away sweat and keep your edges flat. And girl, yes! Get that wig!

When I first went natural I looked a HAM about the head. I look back at pictures like, "I had no friends! There's no way anyone who loved me could've allowed me to leave the house looking that like!" If I knew then, what I know now, I would've used wigs a lot more frequently. Nothing is better than being able to cover unruly hair in a hurry. :)
  • melanie3900
    melanie3900 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm all in!!

SW: 175
    CW: 162
    GW: 125

Non-scale victories I would like to experience before 6/21/13
    1. Complete a full 60 days of Insanity
    2. Get back into school and finish my degree
    3. Learn more healthy food recipes
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Sally's has sweat bands that fit pretty snug to the head and they're nice and wide. If you used something like that on your hair line, it will wick away sweat and keep your edges flat. And girl, yes! Get that wig!

When I first went natural I looked a HAM about the head. I look back at pictures like, "I had no friends! There's no way anyone who loved me could've allowed me to leave the house looking that like!" If I knew then, what I know now, I would've used wigs a lot more frequently. Nothing is better than being able to cover unruly hair in a hurry. :)
    Thanks, don't have a Sally's in the UK we are so dry when it comes to great brands especially African American hair care products but I will look into a good sweat band and a wig maybe on the cards, will speak to my aunt about a lace one or whichever is best.

Got extra motivation, I have just shelled out cash for a flight to Tenerife which means if I want to be looking bootylicious I gotta get to work. I fly out 28th June so that gives me plenty of time to hit 170 and perhaps beyond, fingers crossed.

Hello Melanie3900, welcome to the challenge you will love it here.
    Good luck :smile:
  • Nette0309
    Nette0309 Posts: 106
    Options

Thanks, don't have a Sally's in the UK we are so dry when it comes to great brands especially African American hair care products but I will look into a good sweat band and a wig maybe on the cards, will speak to my aunt about a lace one or whichever is best.

Got extra motivation, I have just shelled out cash for a flight to Tenerife which means if I want to be looking bootylicious I gotta get to work. I fly out 28th June so that gives me plenty of time to hit 170 and perhaps beyond, fingers crossed.

Hello Melanie3900, welcome to the challenge you will love it here.
    Good luck :smile:

Hey, now that is def a reason for motivation !!! I feel you on the hair woes, I"m gonna have to take 5-6 hours to get my kinky coils up to par
  • Nette0309
    Options

You know I could never get into wigs, but love me some kinky twist, just gotta be careful of the edges ! OMG !!! Oh I actually made it through the 30 day Shred Level 1 better than I though ! Then I did the Biggest Loser Cardio Max today, the kick boxing segment, now my biceps are so sore I can hardly straighten my arms girl ! I was using 5lb weights doing the Shred, I'm have to bring my weight down to 3lbs, to much movement for those heavy weights for me right now, my husband told me to take a day off, so I"m regretfully gonna listen to him, and take a rest day tomorrow and hopefully get back at it on Friday. I'm so focused I was only gonna take Sunday to rest. I also did some Pilates, which is my default work out if, I'm feeling tired or short on time, and that made me feel more flexible, but I guess, ima have to take a rest day, don't wanna put myself outa commission, you doing any exciting work outs this week ?
  • Nette0309
    Options
    I'm all in!!

SW: 175
    CW: 162
    GW: 125

Non-scale victories I would like to experience before 6/21/13
    1. Complete a full 60 days of Insanity
    2. Get back into school and finish my degree
    3. Learn more healthy food recipes

Welcome Melanie, Get it Girl !!! Insanity is crazy ! I know some peeps at my office doing it, Go you ! and it's nice to try new foods, shake the body up a bit with different nutrients..
  • londaknight
    londaknight Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm all in! Can't wait for summer!

SW: 260
    CW: 260
    GW: 230

Non-scale victories I would like to experience before June 21, 2013
    1. Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night
    2. Workout at least 5 days a week
    3. Stay motivated by trying new exercise regimens
  • bebemore
    Options
    I'm so in!!

SW: 170
    CW: 170
    GW: 130

Non-scale victories I would like to experience before June 21, 2013
    1. Drinking 8 glasses of water!
    2. Meditating each morning!
    3. Working out at least 5 days a week!
  • Yana150
    Options
    Welcome Melanie3900, londaknight, and bebemore! :flowerforyou: Glad to have you ladies with us in this challenge!

Serene, you are a lucky, lucky girl! You'll be in tip-top shape come June 28th! Enjoy Tenerife and be sure to let us see the pics! :) Oh, if you'd like, I have no problem sending you one of the head bands from Sally's. They're super light, and I'm sure I could send it to you for less than Sally's would, If Sally's ships to the UK. Let me know! :)

Nette good for you making it through your first week! I think your husband is right, take that rest day! :)

This weekend I'm going to do a short detox because we have a long weekend. I found one on the Vegetarian Times website. I will be doing Yoga on Saturday and Sunday for the detox, so I'll count that as my new workout, and they also recommend walking, so I'll also do my WATP DVD's. I'm really looking forward to this.

I took my two rest days for the week on Tuesday and Yesterday because I didn't get up early enough for an AM workout, and I had to run errands after work and was beat by the time I got home. Tonight and Friday are back to Slim in 6.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,269 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, what can of detox are you doing?

BTW you're doing a great job as administrator of this group:flowerforyou:
    Welcome Melanie3900, londaknight, and bebemore! :flowerforyou: Glad to have you ladies with us in this challenge!

Serene, you are a lucky, lucky girl! You'll be in tip-top shape come June 28th! Enjoy Tenerife and be sure to let us see the pics! :) Oh, if you'd like, I have no problem sending you one of the head bands from Sally's. They're super light, and I'm sure I could send it to you for less than Sally's would, If Sally's ships to the UK. Let me know! :)

Nette good for you making it through your first week! I think your husband is right, take that rest day! :)

This weekend I'm going to do a short detox because we have a long weekend. I found one on the Vegetarian Times website. I will be doing Yoga on Saturday and Sunday for the detox, so I'll count that as my new workout, and they also recommend walking, so I'll also do my WATP DVD's. I'm really looking forward to this.

I took my two rest days for the week on Tuesday and Yesterday because I didn't get up early enough for an AM workout, and I had to run errands after work and was beat by the time I got home. Tonight and Friday are back to Slim in 6.
  • keshia1976
    keshia1976 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Heyyy Ladies,

I would LOVE to join this challenge. My information is below:

SW: 190.8
    CW: 181
    GW: 145

Non-scale victories:
    * Workout 5-6 times a week
    * Stop eating after 7pm
    * Add a strength training program to my schedule and hopefully invest in a personal trainer
    * Get out more and be more active

Currently, I am working out about 4 days a week; 2 days a kickboxing class, and 2 days C25K (walk/run program on the treadmill or in the park, depending the weather).
  • Yana150
    Options
    Yay, a new challenger is with us! Welcome Keshia1976! :)

Thanks, Karen!! :) I'm trying. I know at some point I may find myself a bit busy, but right now, I'm trying to stay on top of things. You're so sweet! :)

The detox that I'm doing is the Vegetarian Times Weekend Detox. http://www.vegetariantimes.com/article/weekend-detox/

I wanted a detox that permitted me to continue to eat whole foods and be able to live my life. I didn't want one of those "shut-in" types where you need to be confined to the bed or the bathroom....if you know what I mean. :laugh:

Because this detox encourages light foods, mild exercise, and body work like massage and saunas - it seems more like a spa weekend rather than what I've come to think of as a detox. Depending on how well this goes, I can see myself doing this at least once a month.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,269 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info on the detox. I checked it out and I think It could be something I might do one weekend. I'm happy it's not a fast...I have to eat:smile:
    Yay, a new challenger is with us! Welcome Keshia1976! :)

Thanks, Karen!! :) I'm trying. I know at some point I may find myself a bit busy, but right now, I'm trying to stay on top of things. You're so sweet! :)

The detox that I'm doing is the Vegetarian Times Weekend Detox. http://www.vegetariantimes.com/article/weekend-detox/

I wanted a detox that permitted me to continue to eat whole foods and be able to live my life. I didn't want one of those "shut-in" types where you need to be confined to the bed or the bathroom....if you know what I mean. :laugh:

Because this detox encourages light foods, mild exercise, and body work like massage and saunas - it seems more like a spa weekend rather than what I've come to think of as a detox. Depending on how well this goes, I can see myself doing this at least once a month.
  • em_c_r
    em_c_r Posts: 23
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well! I haven't lost any pounds but I just did my measurements and I've lost 3 inches overall! I've been doing well on staying under my calorie goal but could really up the exercise. So, this gives me some real incentive.
  • ladyonaquest
    ladyonaquest Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would like to join the challenge.

SW: 320
    CW:310
    GW:250

Non Scle victories:
    1. Walk upstairs without knee pain
    2. Swim at least once a week
    3. Start wearing some of my old ( smaller) suits

Welcome to the challenge!! The more the merrier!!!
  • Nette0309
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well! I haven't lost any pounds but I just did my measurements and I've lost 3 inches overall! I've been doing well on staying under my calorie goal but could really up the exercise. So, this gives me some real incentive.

That's a good job !!!! Inches count girl !!! Prehaps, set a weekly goal, and make more fitness be your goal for the week.
  • coco2point0
    Options
    I would like to join the challenge.

SW: 227
    CW:215
    GW:170

NON Scale Victories:
    1. Jog 30 minutes straight.
    2. Work out at least 5 days a week.
    3. Enjoy shopping for clothes..lol!

Although my goal weight for this challenge is 170lbs, my overall goal weight is 150lbs. This challenge is great for me right now because I had my short-term goal weight set for June..lol! Look forward to the next few months.
  • Nette0309
    Options
    YANA : First off that sounds like a Spa Weekend vs. a Detox Weekend !! Luv it, I wish I could join you, I'm so busy, I was thinking of escaping and going to the gym, my husband got a few perks with his employer, we never take advantage of it because we have a home gym, but this could be my way of escape ! lol

Yes, I decided to rest and I'm actually gonna hit the hay early tonight, hopefully my biceps will feel better for in the a.m. I plan on doing a longer Pilates session, this won't require to much arm work and Ideally by Sat I should be up for some Cardio. My WI is on Sunday so I'm wanna give a good push to end the week off with. Slim in Six or Hip Hop abs is calling my name !

I'm jealous enjoy your spa weekend :wink:
  • Nette0309
    Options
    Heyyy Ladies,

I would LOVE to join this challenge. My information is below:

SW: 190.8
    CW: 181
    GW: 145

Non-scale victories:
    * Workout 5-6 times a week
    * Stop eating after 7pm
    * Add a strength training program to my schedule and hopefully invest in a personal trainer
    * Get out more and be more active

Currently, I am working out about 4 days a week; 2 days a kickboxing class, and 2 days C25K (walk/run program on the treadmill or in the park, depending the weather).

Wow Keisha !!! You are doin it girl !! I did that C25K years ago and I loved it !!! I just feel in love with kickboxing and it's no joke on dvd, I can't imagine a class ! You can always add Pilates it's a different approach to Strength Training and really tones the body !